PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap (US23) to Erwin

Bruce Hudson
11-04-2007, 16:08
I have a couple of days this coming weekend, and I'm thinking this should be a very reasonable two days even with shorting days.

Any comments, anything special I should know about that stretch? Previous experience is Erisn to Atkins this summer.

Bruce Hudson
Raleigh, NC
[email protected]

Possum Bill
11-04-2007, 18:42
That's a beautiful hike across Big Bald and down into the Nolichucky Gorge. I think you'll enjoy it. Uncle Johnny says water is okay in that stretch, but I have a friend that lives near Spivey Gap and he says theres no water from Sams Gap to Spivey. So???? I'd carry a little extra water for the first half of that hike just to make sure.

PB

zapp
11-04-2007, 19:09
A couple of us from Hendersonville are going to do sams to spivey and camp past big bald this coming weekend. When we scouted it last weekend even the creek at spivey was low. Plan on carrying a lot of water.

Marta
11-04-2007, 20:33
The downhill stretch to Erwin is very long and relentless. Take it easy--your knees will thank you.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2007, 21:41
I was just at Street Gap at the base of Big Bald. There is a lare cash of water for Sobos at Sams Gap. I got the word fom sectioners and day hikers that Sams to Spivey is dry.

But Oglesby Branch going up Flattop should still be running a bit. There are a few branches on the forest roads on Flattop that are still running.