PDA

View Full Version : Desert shirts?

vaporjourney
11-04-2007, 18:11
On the start of my AT thru-hike this year, I met a guy named Hermes wearing a desert shirt. It was longsleeved, but I'm assuming had some insane venting qualities to consider it desert worthy...where do I find one of these online? Now that I'm contemplating a thru-hike of the PCT next year, I'm thinking about desert clothing. I have fair skin, and never really tan, instead getting reddish. So the desert will probably tear me apart and I want to be prepared. Perhaps a long sleeve extremely breathable shirt (desert shirt) coupled with a long homemade manskirt will work out well. Either way, help finding one of these shirts would be swell.

edit: did find this shirt http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0027/c11/s100000006/Mountain-Hardwear-Canyon-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-Mens.html but man is it more expensive than I was expecting. I remember the shirt that Hermes had was without a collar (saving weight!), and looked almost like scrubs that doctors wear.

edit2: ok, i found exactly what I was looking for. http://www.railriders.com/eco-mesh-shirt-p-835.html?cPath=104_111 I think this shirt will be fantastic, but Rail Riders also has a few other shirts that would work. Backpackinglight recommends them, and I'm going to look into this more.

I would have deleted this thread, but i couldn't find out how to. Instead, I'm going to leave it as is, with the hope that other people may be looking for desert clothing ideas as well.

Anumber1
11-04-2007, 19:49
You could just wear long sleeve cotton/nylon blend shirt and long pants, a 30 pound vest, and a kevlar helmet like the thousands of young men and women currently depoloyed to the middle east. -Just sayin'

Spirit Walker
11-04-2007, 20:12
I wore Supplex pants and shirt on the PcT but ended up rarely wearing the shirt while hiking because it got so hot. If I were to do the PCT again, I'd wear a lightweight long sleeved cotton shirt in the desert and save the Supplex for the Sierras, where it is good protection against mosquitoes. Same with the pants. I brought Supplex pants but only wore them in the Sierras to protect against bugs. They were just too hot in the desert so I ended up unzipping the legs most of the time.

Don't forget your hat. A really good hat with a wide brim is essential for the PCT.

vaporjourney
11-04-2007, 20:37
Planning on using my Kavu Chillba for a hat, but I noticed today that it doesn't quite cover my neck as well as I thought it did. I may supplement that with a bandana hanging down onto my neck, or possibly switch to a Golite Chrome Dome umbrella

SlowLightTrek
11-04-2007, 20:48
Check out patagonia. Expensive but very good stuff.

LostInSpace
11-04-2007, 20:48
During a week in the Grand Canyon, I wore a long-sleeve Patagonia silk-weight capalene shirt. The shirt worked great in temperatures that up to 105 in the shade. This shirt is ofter found on sale at this time of year.

vaporjourney
11-04-2007, 22:23
The only problem with the Patagonia shirts is that they are too tight. I was under the impression that a looser fit is desired to allow air flow, and for some evaporative cooling effect.

budforester
11-04-2007, 23:30
I have seen these (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=55EC&dir_id=12198&group_id=12205&cat_id=12244&subcat_id=12245&feature_id=18). They are said to be comfortable, but they're too rich for me.

EWS
11-04-2007, 23:39
Railriders stuff is very nice, and fits normally proportioned people better than patagonia stuff. I have an eco-mesh shirt and it breathes very well.

Mags
11-05-2007, 01:52
I find a poly-cotton (65/35 blend) thrift store dress shirt works very well for western/desert hiking. I paid the princely sum of $4 for a shirt that lasted the whole PCT. I only threw it out because my friend made me. :)

A similar shirt lasted from Helena,MT to the Mexican border last year. It also cost $4. I still have it and wear it.

(A deer ate my first hiking shirt on day 3 of the CDT!!!!)

As Ginny said, a wide brimmed hat is key for desert/high altitude hiking. I call it the Dorky Sun Hat. ;)

Jimmers
11-05-2007, 03:02
During a week in the Grand Canyon, I wore a long-sleeve Patagonia silk-weight capalene shirt. The shirt worked great in temperatures that up to 105 in the shade. This shirt is ofter found on sale at this time of year.

I've had similar experiences with plain cotton/poly blend button-up shirts hiking in the Grand Canyon and several other desert areas in Utah and Nevada. (June/July, 90 to 110 degrees.) In a true desert having long sleeves is no real problem. Your sweat never has a chance to accumulate in the fabric and become noticeably annoying before evaporating. If you sunburn easily (like me) they're definately worth using. At the least it's worth considering.

My 2 cents.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-05-2007, 08:26
While Dinos rarely roam in deserts these days, the She-Dino did so in the past - long before all the newfangled tech fabrics where around. A light cotton or poly-cotton long sleeved shirt, light cotton pants (today's sleep pants would work, but I had some lightweight golf pants) and the dorky, but effective wide brim straw hat (with mosquito netting at times) were the She-Dino's clothing of choice. I got the items in the men's department at thrift store at the pre-inflation price of about $1 each.

Miner
11-05-2007, 15:23
As you seemed to have found, many people on the PCT wear Railrider shirts (http://www.railriders.com/)that have a full length mesh on the side of the shirt and runs the full underside of the sleeves. Their Echo-mesh and Adventures Top are the most popular shirts.

Many people just get a lightweight Columbia nylon shirt and are fine with those. The secret is getting a light color such as white. You care less about looking dirty as you do about being cool.

Toolshed
11-05-2007, 21:47
Get this (http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/750226) from REI for $22 and change. I have 3 of them and they lightweight, hydrophobic and are awesome!!!

ScottP
11-06-2007, 13:30
That single railriders shirt did me just fine--and the flower print was half off. It lasted through my 850 mile section hike of the AT shirt this year, as well as my PCT Thru-hike. My kavu Chillba hat also worked wonderfully.

If I were to hike the PCT again, I'd do it with no trekking poles, a visor, a bandanna, and a 'World's Lightest Trekking Umbrella' (same size as the GoLite Chrome Dome, but much lighter, made by some german company)

Hermes

Geo.
11-29-2007, 23:51
http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0027/c11/s100000006/Mountain-Hardwear-Canyon-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-Mens.html but man is it more expensive than I was expecting. I remember the shirt that Hermes had was without a collar (saving weight!), and looked almost like scrubs that doctors wear.

I'd think any old long sleeve cotton or cotton/synthetic combination would do just as well as an expensive 'desert' shirt. Would have thought a collar would be part of a good 'desert' shirt too - turn it up and keep the sun off your neck. I just used an old long sleeved cotton uniform shirt and it did just fine. :)
Geo.

Jim Adams
11-30-2007, 00:11
ex-officio, TNF and Columbia also produce these shirts. I have all three and like them all but the Columbia is the most comfortable and seemingly the most durable.

geek

take-a-knee
11-30-2007, 00:25
ex-officio, TNF and Columbia also produce these shirts. I have all three and like them all but the Columbia is the most comfortable and seemingly the most durable.

geek

I believe these are refered to by many as "fishing" shirts, so called because they are designed to protect from the sun's rays and vent well. Many come with an SPF rating. Some are cotton poplin, others are a blend, still others are a light supplex nylon.

Summit
12-03-2007, 18:04
Get this (http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/750226) from REI for $22 and change. I have 3 of them and they lightweight, hydrophobic and are awesome!!!Nice! But the only one available in anything other than X-Large or bigger is the glow-in-the-dark "Pumpkin." :eek:

Sly
12-04-2007, 11:23
Get this (http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/750226) from REI for $22 and change. I have 3 of them and they lightweight, hydrophobic and are awesome!!!

Any idea how long the sleeves are in XL?

yappy
12-04-2007, 11:34
I wore patagonia silk wgt on Pct too. Spendy but awesome. i love the t shirts...

yappy
12-04-2007, 11:37
the patagonia silk wgt is awesome. wore on pct and loved it. i have several t shirts too.. they are great. it was my hands that took a beating on the colorado trial this year. Use the sun screen....

neighbor dave
12-04-2007, 18:04
it was my hands that took a beating on the colorado trial this year.

hey yappy!
:-? try walking on yer "feet" next time. :bse

yappy
12-04-2007, 18:12
lol.. back to the insurance cubicle for you !!!

Spigot
01-19-2008, 19:06
Patagonia silkweight long sleeve white and LOOSE fitting. 38 bucks but I wore it everyday. I never understood wearing the nylon long sleeve shirts. Microclimating? There are virtually no bugs in the desert so why take a bug shirt? Sungloves might save you from sun poisioning on your hands. If you use poles your hands will be oriented towards the sun ALL day. If you are on a budget grab a worn out/thin cotton/poly or poly shirt from the thrift store, It would be nice to have it unbuttoned when the afternoon breezed kick in. the collar would come in handy too. Why doesnt' patagonia make a button up silkweight capilene?

superman
01-19-2008, 19:48
When Pat and I hiked the desert section of the PCT in 03 we wore loose, light weight, long sleeve, synthetic shirts with a high UV rating. We wore light weight, big full brim hats also.
As we huddled under a tree for shade, we were taking a noon siesta, as a local hiker stopped to chat. He was dressed in long flowing light weight material like veils over hi entire body. Even his face was covered. He seemed to be unaware of the heat that was kicking our butts. I hate when someone is that happy when I'm that miserable.:)

SunnyWalker
09-12-2009, 23:58
How about hiking at night while in the desert?

sbhikes
09-13-2009, 00:19
I wore a railriders shirt this year. I prefer the more expensive shirts to the thrift store men's shirts because you get more and bigger pockets than a men's dress shirt.

Mosquitoes can bite through these desert shirts. At least the insane, frenzied ones they have in Oregon in July. If you thru-hike you might not be there in July. If you are, you'll want a shirt under your shirt.

The Sunday Afternoon hat is great for the desert. And ExOfficio makes a nice hat with "curtains" that repels mosquitoes and sun. It really does repel mosquitoes.

To stay comfortable in the desert it really works to cover up. If you are really hot you can dunk your shirt in a creek.

beas
09-13-2009, 12:49
Bear Greylls however you spell it has a very very nice shirt if you dont mind spending the $$$$$. I has a LIFETIME warranty. I saw one today on a friend on a dah hike very impressive constrcution ie no string in the buttons held on by webbing etc.
BEAS

skinewmexico
09-13-2009, 14:01
It's all about marketing, and separating you from your money. Mags has the best idea. It's a shirt, not the space shuttle.

Deadeye
09-13-2009, 19:59
Campmor has some nylon shirts that I use for hiking. Cool enough in warm weather with the sleeves rolled up, covers you up when exposed (above tree line), offers some skin protection when bushwhacking, and they don't stink like polyester.

Del Q
09-13-2009, 20:41
I am finding Merino wool to be great, keeps me cool, dries FAST, does not stink after days of soaking sweat, Icebreaker - just got some from Backpacking light. Leaving in 8 days for AT with two of these.

frisbeefreek
09-22-2009, 21:53
I wore a golite silkweight long sleeve white on the pct this year. loved it. ultra breathable, comfy, little pricey, but totally worth it. Lasted 90days before it wore out.

http://www.prolitegear.com/golite_drimove_silk_ls.html (http://www.prolitegear.com/golite_drimove_silk_ls.html)

highfisher
09-23-2009, 00:05
Hey Vaporjourney,
thanks agin for the WFilter,those shirts are fishing shirts, you can get them @GANDER MOUNTAIN/ ACADEMY SPORTS$14.00-$20.00 house brand, my fav is the Guide Series,vents on arms and back @goodwill $3.96 NWT

lazy river road
09-23-2009, 09:32
its telling me that oode shirts are no longer avaiable just tried to order one

Treefingers
12-07-2009, 16:36
The traditional Arabian attire that would be worn in the desert and exposed conditions is the Disdasha. It is made out of fine cotton linen usually and looks like a long-sleeved, long white gown and has superior breathability for travel in the desert...Look for a few people to be wearing one in the desert portions of the PCT:sun

leaftye
01-03-2010, 04:11
I just saw that some sizes of the RailRiders Eco-Shirt are $20, so I ordered one. I've been wanting one for years.

BrianLe
01-03-2010, 15:59
I'm not brand conscious here, just a generic long sleeved, loose fitting hiker type shirt. I think I've tended to get REI branded shirts, and FWIW they've been fine in general.

I do sort of like to see an SPF rating as I go for a fairly thin, lightweight shirt --- not focused so much on the weight per se as on the ability to shed heat.
There are two shirt issues I ran into that I'd avoid going forward however. One is the shirts that have some sort of chemical baked in to make them bug resistant (I forget the brand). Reports surfaced of people getting rashes from those. Might be fine for weekend use in a buggy environment but wearing them daily for months under a backpacking while sweating is a pretty tough testing environment.

The other issue that comes to mind is the sort of fold up/down extension collars that include velcro to keep the collar down. I found this to be annoying, and more importantly the velcro periodically would snag and ultimately rip holes in my (bug) head net.

In terms of how heavy/thick a shirt to get, Diane said:

"Mosquitoes can bite through these desert shirts. At least the insane, frenzied ones they have in Oregon in July. If you thru-hike you might not be there in July. If you are, you'll want a shirt under your shirt."

This is true, bugs can indeed bite right through these shirts. I nevertheless prefer a shirt that thin. Sure, wear another shirt underneath it if you can stand that. I prefer to "just keep moving" as my main defense while hiking, and put on a windshirt when stopped if the bugs are bad. At least for me, it would be a mistake to get a shirt that I thought was too thick for bugs to bite through --- I need to be able to shed heat when it is (and/or I am) warm.

300winmag
01-03-2010, 17:25
I have an REI "Sahara" shirt and a Colombia poly shirt that are both back vented and made of polyester.

But CABELA'S "Guidewear" shirts are the best I've found for the hiking I do here in the Mojave Desert. They are vented front and back and have a roll-up collar for neck protection.

Eric

Snowleopard
01-03-2010, 18:07
Permethrin on a light weight almost worn out supplex shirt keeps the bugs from biting through. I wonder if that works with the Railrider's ecomesh shirt? Will bugs bite through the mesh parts if they're treated with permethrin?

Definitely no bugs here today :)

BrianLe
01-03-2010, 19:13
The shirt I mentioned that's treated with repellent by the manufacturer is the ExOfficio "Buzz Off" shirt --- that's the one that I mentioned folks reporting getting a rash on their back when worn for long distances. It's permetherin that's bound to the fabric of that.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I know this to be a problem personally; I had actually bought such a shirt to use on the PCT but opted against it after reading some comments in trail journals, if I recall correctly.

I imagine that it's fine for less intense and continuous use.

Miner
01-03-2010, 23:06
Permethrin on a light weight almost worn out supplex shirt keeps the bugs from biting through. I wonder if that works with the Railrider's ecomesh shirt? Will bugs bite through the mesh parts if they're treated with permethrin?

Definitely no bugs here today :)

I used a Railrider Oasis shirt (same thing as the Adventure shirt only it had a full button front which I thought was better ventilation) this summer on the PCT and I treated my clothing/hat with Permithrin at Kennedy Meadows with a large spray bottle that I bought at REI. I was able to hike all of the Sierra without using DEET with the exception of 2 really bad days in Northern Yosemite (Rae Lakes area was also bad, but I hiked through it without stopping). The mosquitos would land on my shirt and long pants and quickly fly off again without biting me. They never bit through the mesh. In Northern Yosemite (especially near Grace Meadow), they were so bad that while they left my shirt alone they managed to bite my hands while I was moving so the DEET came out.

Snowleopard
01-04-2010, 00:20
The shirt I mentioned that's treated with repellent by the manufacturer is the ExOfficio "Buzz Off" shirt --- that's the one that I mentioned folks reporting getting a rash on their back when worn for long distances. It's permetherin that's bound to the fabric of that.

To be clear, I'm not saying that I know this to be a problem personally; I had actually bought such a shirt to use on the PCT but opted against it after reading some comments in trail journals, if I recall correctly.

I imagine that it's fine for less intense and continuous use.

I haven't heard that. Perhaps these people are particularly sensitive, or perhaps they had some sort of heat rash. My usage hasn't been on a through hike, but more like 1 or 2 hour local hikes most days. I would have guessed that the Buzz Off shirts have the permethrin even more tightly bound than the spray on stuff I use.

I use the permethrin to minimize the amount of time I have to use DEET, because I have asthma and worry that breathing the DEET will trigger my asthma. From my reading perhethrin is better than the risk of Lyme disease or West Nile virus.

I guess it's literally a question of choosing your poison.

leaftye
01-07-2010, 04:34
I ordered my Railrider shirt online on Sunday and got it the following Wednesday. That's fast. The shirt fits surprisingly well too. I thought it'd be a little tight, which should be okay because I'll lose weight quickly on the trail.