PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Pinnacle

saimyoji
11-04-2007, 18:37
I'm still searching for the perfect bag, trying to save $$$ but not skimp....anyway, I've read lots of great reviews about the Marmot Pinnacle 15* 800fp down bag. I've read lots of good things here on WB about the bag, most of them 2 or more years old. It seems they have made some changes to the bag, 800 vs 725, weight is now down to 2 lbs 8 oz. Anyone have any experience with this bag in the past year or two?

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 19:38
It looks like it is the same as the ultralight series except for the shell and lining material and possibly a full zipper vs. a half zipper. I have an Atom and a Helium and my only possible complaint is that they only have half zippers.

saimyoji
11-05-2007, 16:09
$225 on sale at: http://www.backcountrygear.com/index.cfm

Check out the fall sale. MB UL Down Inner for $112. :)

take-a-knee
11-05-2007, 19:16
I think the short zipper on those UL bags may be a liability.

Appalachian Tater
11-05-2007, 19:20
I think the short zipper on those UL bags may be a liability.

Definitely in the summer if your bag is too warm. During the winter not so much. A half-zipper is lighter and also avoids possible infiltration of cold air. The Marmot bags have well-protected zippers and there are no drafts.

saimyoji
01-04-2008, 13:02
update on this bag. I don't have time for a full out gear review, sorry.

I've been using this bag for a few months now, in a variety of conditions. It is a great bag for cold weather. I had it out the past 2 nights cowboy camping (inside mesh tent w/o fly) when temps went down to 8* and 12* and I was snug as a bug. Its long enough I can store things (water, socks) in the foot box and the hood is deep enough for a large fleece as a pillow (can still cinch the hood up tight to close out the wind). I used it in slightly warmer temps back in November, high 20s, low 30s and a few nights I was too warm, perhaps due to clothing. I find that if I sleep in just shorts I get clammy and damp, but if I throw on polypro longjohns I am comfortable, same goes for socks.

All in all I'm totally happy with the bag. :cool: