PDA

View Full Version : Lost Cove Settlement on the Nolichucky

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 03:33
I was wondering if anyone has ever been to the Lost Cove settlement on the Nolichucky River.

I never made the trek myself, but I know that one can walk the railroad from either Poplar, NC or Unaka Springs/Chestoa, TN. How safe is it walk the treks? Is there enough room to jump of the treks when there is an oncoming train?

My ultimate goal is to find an alternate path, hopefully easier, to Lost Cove around Flattop. Any suggestions.

I been trying to find the old road/trail on Flattop Mountain that supposedly lead to the Spivey Gap area. I have tried using the A.T. from Spivey Gap then travelled forest roads to a trail on the western side of Flattop Mtn. Only problem was the trail got so narrow and low in spots; hiking bcame more like crawling.

I have also used a couple forest roads on the eastern side of Flattop around an area called Whiteoak Flats. I tried walking the roads around Flattop. I got to an earshot of the railroad, but the road ended into a wall of rodos.

Gray Blazer
11-05-2007, 08:52
Walk South on the west bank of the Nolichucky a coupla miles and you follow one of the side streams up the gorge and there it is. There may someone there so be careful. This is according to Sarah who works at Raft USA.

Morning Glory
11-05-2007, 09:05
It's been 2 years since I've been there. At that time, there were only 2 buildings still standing. Vandals have really ruined the place. There's plenty of room to get off the tracks for the trains. The trail off the tracks is fairly difficult to find unless you know where you are going. I know exactly how to get there and could give you better directions if you need it.

Morning Glory
11-05-2007, 09:07
also...I think Ms. Janet knows the other route. You may want to ask her. The only way I know of getting there is by following the tracks for about 3 miles.

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 14:00
Is there anyway to access Lost Cove from Flattop? I heard of an timber trail or road that leads down to it. Then a couple trails on the backside of the mountain that come close. Probably only a hundred yards of bushwhack.

Miss Janet
11-05-2007, 14:46
I am trying to remember the name of the road... I will check on it and let you know. I can drive you there but I can't recall the road. It is a good road several miles into North Carolina and you turn left at an old building covered in vines. You can drive up to within a few hundred yards of the trail and take it back down through Lost Cove and then down the tracks to the Chestoa Recreation area. The only place I would worry about the train is on the trestle. But you can bushwhack to the left right before the trestle and come out up near the old hotel site at Unaka Springs.

veteran
11-05-2007, 16:59
Lost Cove Trail:
http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/Hiking%20Trails/North%20Carolina/yancey/Lost%20Cove%20Trail.htm

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 20:04
Is 5505 the forest gate just past that first turnoff area on the eastern side of Flattop of 278? I hiked that forest road to only find a couple big flats and tons of timber roads.

veteran
11-06-2007, 14:54
Trail to Lost Cove that I found on TopoZone:
The map coordinates for the trailhead on FS278 are 36.05441°N / -82.37852°W

Miss Janet
11-07-2007, 19:02
Is 5505 the forest gate just past that first turnoff area on the eastern side of Flattop of 278? I hiked that forest road to only find a couple big flats and tons of timber roads.

Hi there. the road you need to get to the Lost Cove trail is several miles down from the trail crossing at Spivey Gap. I know the forest service road you are talking about. Isn't it beautiful back there? There is a great boxed spring and a PRIVY!! I have always wondered about the history. If I ever run away from home I may homestead up there!

buddha_child
12-04-2007, 17:56
www.freewebs.com/lostcove