PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners in snow, cold, wet conditions

hurryinghoosier
11-05-2007, 09:33
How does one keep their feet warm in cold wet conditions when wearing trail runners. I am thinking about the mountains in GA, Tenn, NC during March. To all those thru hikers---how did you deal with the cold wet conditions? What would you recommend for those of us who are planning a thru hike? Reasons for recommendation.

EWS
11-05-2007, 09:40
Rocky Goretex Socks (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0050086812820a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0200705&cm_ite=0050086812820a) and wool socks next to the skin.

maxNcathy
11-05-2007, 09:54
This April I hiked in 3 inches of wet snow in Smokys with 2 inches of flowing water in places on the Trail wearing New Balance 809 Trailrunners and a pair of liner socks and a pair of thicker Smartwool socks...my feet were cool at times but NOT cold...while walking..shoes were abit stiff in the morning but managed okay.
Sandalwood

Tipi Walter
11-05-2007, 09:55
My experience is that trail runners won't grip a wet snowy trail like a normal lugged boot. Of course both will get saturated along with the feet and in the morning I'd say the runner will be easier to put on frozen. But that traction issue is important none-the-less.

jlb2012
11-05-2007, 09:58
traction in snow is one of the reasons I went with the ASICS Eagle Trail shoe

taildragger
11-05-2007, 10:00
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0032265812356a.shtml

They looked like they had some really good traction

Blue Jay
11-05-2007, 10:56
Gaitors, the only reason I ever wear them is in the snow. I've done many winter overnighters in the high peaks of the Adirondacks in gortex trail runners with high gaitors.

bigcranky
11-05-2007, 12:19
I usually switch to goretex-lined trail runners and tall goretex gaiters in the winter in the southern Appalachians. Even in a downpour, my feet stay nice and dry.

But by March, I'm usually back to mesh runners. With wool socks my feet stay comfortable, even in snow and such. The mesh runners dry much faster than my old leather boots.

The traction was an issue only once, when I was hiking on side-cut trail that was covered in ice (in January). The trail was sloped slightly to one side, and I had to walk at the top edge and try to kick the side of my runners into the softer snow. Not as easy as I would have liked. But hey, it worked.

Moon Monster
11-05-2007, 12:47
I've worn nothing but socks in snow around camp, and I've hiked in sandals up to 3 foot drifts. Wool socks insulate well even when wet and several makes of waterproof socks worn over base layers do work. Sealskinz brand is what I have used. I have also seen hikers use Ziploc bags over their wool socks right inside flimsy road running shoes.

The issue is just like other layered clothing. The more waterproof to outside elements, the more likely you will sweat inside. Sweat can chill. You may stay warm while walking, but your feet will cool off when you stop. Try not to sweat--same advice for all clothing systems in cold weather.

There are many trail runners that are as aggressively lugged as many boots. Traction is in the eye of the beholder.

Lighter weight materials are more likely to thaw quickly after freezing than heavier ones.

Always have dry socks in your pack to wear at night or change into in emergencies.

maxNcathy
11-05-2007, 12:57
I've worn nothing but socks in snow around camp, and I've hiked in sandals up to 3 foot drifts. Wool socks insulate well even when wet and several makes of waterproof socks worn over base layers do work. Sealskinz brand is what I have used. I have also seen hikers use Ziploc bags over their wool socks right inside flimsy road running shoes.

The issue is just like other layered clothing. The more waterproof to outside elements, the more likely you will sweat inside. Sweat can chill. You may stay warm while walking, but your feet will cool off when you stop. Try not to sweat--same advice for all clothing systems in cold weather.

There are many trail runners that are as aggressively lugged as many boots. Traction is in the eye of the beholder.

Lighter weight materials are more likely to thaw quickly after freezing than heavier ones.

Always have dry socks in your pack to wear at night or change into in emergencies.

:sun

Moon Monster gives good advice too.

Tinker
11-05-2007, 13:00
Well, I'm a section hiker, but have been at it for 20 years (including a completed section hike of the Long Trail). I started off with heavy leather boots, went to lighter leather and fabric boots, then to low top hikers, proceeding to trail runners, and now I hike mostly in sandals (Keen all synthetic). I've used neoprene socks with both the trail runners and
sandals, once in snow with the trail runners. They don't keep your feet dry, but they do keep them relatively warm while hiking. They also dry more quickly than leather boots. I will use the sandal/neoprene sock combo in snow this winter and give an update here.
Btw: I've used Goretex (not XCR) lined boots and had hot, sweaty feet in all but dry and cool conditions. Whatever you use, eventually your feet will get wet. Use whatever you find that keeps them warm and dries quickly. Sock choice should be as important (if not more so) than shoe selection for multi day hiking (especially if hiking through multiple seasons).

Blissful
11-05-2007, 13:11
Traction in snow is not that much of an issue if leaving NOBO in March. Much more of an issue on wet rocks, and then anything you wear can slip and slide. You'll probably get some snow though and it will be slippery in the AM when it's cold, whether you wear trailrunners or boots. I found my trail runners on rocks and other situations gripped much better than boots (esp with the rocks in PA and again in NH and ME). And my son who wore boots all the time fell a lot.
But most snow that you encounter - if you are NOBO leaving in March -rapidly turns to wet slush when the sun is out. And then nothing keeps your feet dry (I had goretex boots).

BTW - you WILL fall when hiking the trail on a thru. It's a given. Just do it gracefully, if there is such a way. :)

bulldog49
11-05-2007, 14:52
How does one keep their feet warm in cold wet conditions when wearing trail runners.

Fact is, you can't. I wear a pair of lightweight leather Gore-tex boots in the winter. Keep my feet warm and dry and the weight difference is negligible.

ScottP
11-05-2007, 16:06
To all those thru hikers---how did you deal with the cold wet conditions? What would you recommend for those of us who are planning a thru hike? Reasons for recommendation.

Be a little wet and cold--there's really no other option. If the weather is cold out and you're so bundled up that you're not feeling cold (sweating) you'll be facing some far more serious problems. For me, things have never gotten so cold that a pair of smartwools didn't cut it. Some people carry grocery bags to use for waterproofing if things get totally out of hand. They're light, and they make good foodbags. Serious long distance hikers don't wear boots.

I started on springer mid-march for my 06 thru and my 07 section. non-waterproof trail running shoes were plenty both times. Trail runners also did me just fine on my 07 hike of the PCT.

leep frog
11-05-2007, 17:32
I dissagree. A pair of trail runners or GTX runners combined with seal skins or neoprene socks and gaiters has consitently kept my feet warm in southern AT wet and cold including january rain and snow. As for slipping, a pair of poles really is useful weather your using boots or runners. I hiked from springer to erwin last jan/feb with this set-up and it was toasty enough.

I find that my feet get moist in boots or runners if they have GTX, but the GTX provides some extra warmth(which is why you can't find them at most running store in the piedmont, even in winter-too warm when your feet get moving). The key is to have dry socks for night, and perhaps an extra liner pair for the next day.

I think the other benefit is that they don't soak up water like single layer leather boots. Less water, less evaporative cooling and freezing, but you do need to special sock for really cold.

That said I think most March weather will not require seal skins or neoprene socks, but it's smart to carry them. And yes, they're expensive, and yeah, they wear out quicker than you'd like.

leep frog
11-05-2007, 17:35
oops, I don't mean to disagree with the notion that you just have to be a little wet and cold sometimes, but rather that trail runner set-ups can't be effectively warm. Sometimes being a little wet and cold is better and easier than being sweaty-just don't stop for too long in those conditions, and when you do try to make sure it's for the night and that you're immediately in dry clothes and making some food while in your bag. You'll be warm again soon.

Kaptain Kangaroo
11-05-2007, 17:40
On my thru in 2006 I wore mesh trail runners (Merrell Mesa Ventilators) They were great shoes, with excellent traction on snow & ice. Yes, my feet got wet in the snow & slush, but with wool socks I never had any problems with cold feet, even when hiking through slush all day. The biggest advantage was how quickly they dried out. 4 hours of sun/dry trail & they were dry again.
As someone already mentioned, just accept that your feet will get wet & have a dry pair of socks for camp.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Phreak
11-05-2007, 17:45
Salomon XA Pro XCR trail runners, gaiters and Smartwool Adrenaline socks.

leep frog
11-05-2007, 17:52
2nd on the Salomons.

Summit
11-05-2007, 18:04
BTW - you WILL fall when hiking the trail on a thru. It's a given. Just do it gracefully, if there is such a way. :)Yep, if you've never taken a good fall, you probably haven't hiked all that many miles on rugged terrain.

My worst fall was quite a few years ago (can't blame it on a "senior moment" :D ), just north of Hot Springs, NC. The rocks and logs were a little wet from recent rain and I stepped on a sloping log step and WHAM! I went face first so fast I had no time to react. I hit my head hard on a rock and it knocked me unconscious! When I came to, maybe 15 minutes later, my fingers and toes were tingling. The bump on the noggin evolved into one heck of a black eye that swelled my right eye shut. Scared the daylights out of more than a few people I met on the trail the next few days. :D

Mother's Finest
11-05-2007, 18:04
I do not hike with sticks, but when the ground is snowy or icy, sticks are much more helpful than the lug on the bottom of a boot.

peace
mf

Summit
11-05-2007, 18:56
I've never hiked with sticks either, but I've ordered a pair of carbon Komperdells which I'll use on my next hike.

soulrebel
11-05-2007, 19:57
We hiked the smokies in 1-2ft of snow and ice last year with our asics running shoes--no need for "trail runners" or goretex or gaiters or sealskinz

Key is to carry 2 trash bags medium size one for each foot. liner sock with the bags over them pulled up and tucked in at the ankle/calf is adequate. Warm and wet over cold and wet. Change to dry socks at camp-duh

And yes frozen tennis shoes are much easier to put on than frozen boots. Matter of fact-usually warmed up and flexed out in less than 20minutes of hiking.

also let me restate the obvious "PHk poles" :0

I fell only twice on my thru-hike-I stopped levitating-go figure. once in the snow and the other on pa rocks on nekkid day. I did watch other numerous hikers take a spill usually the ones with larger packs and poles--the cacophony of clackery was colossal.

ps flyin brian recommends hex screws for ice cleats--but the slipn and slidn is actually a lil fun after all the walking...postholing

hurryinghoosier
11-05-2007, 22:34
Thanks to everyone for the imput. You have helped me make a foot wear decision. There is so much information on whiteblaze its unbelieveable.