PDA

View Full Version : Baselayers and water carrying (too lazy to use two threads)

taildragger
11-05-2007, 09:40
Part 1: Base layers

a) What are ya'll using, or have used, for base layers for the different sections?

b) What types of materias are you using? Is polypro really gonna start to stink THAT badly?

Part 2: Water carrying

Since I have a later start, I'm thinking that I might end up carrying more water in the early parts of the dessert (that and I seem to drink tons of water).

How do you ultralighters do it? I've been thinking about switching to a smaller, lighter pack, but I don't want to sacrifice the suspension that I might using to lug around 6-8 litres of water?

Currently, I have a Gregory Whitney. The thing feels like it can carry a heavier load very nicely, and with it the weight of my big three hovers right about 10lbs (this is without cutting off any of the straps, or accounting for the fact that I won't be bringing the lid).

Would it be worth it for me to go with a lighter pack? And how small of a pack could I do? The size issue for me starts coming to my mind when I reach the Sierras. How large of a bag will I be needing to fit all my food into, especially if I decide to actually carry a bear can or Ursack.

Tipi Walter
11-05-2007, 09:51
I'm no expert on the PCT but you can't go wrong with a polypro/capilene baselayer. Personally I like Smartwool merino bottoms with a silk turtleneck top under a polypro/thermax top. I do like a thin silk top for comfort and layering.

I like the Gregory pack idea and the Whitney is a fine larger pack fit for any trail. I am biased towards larger packs anyway but don't hold that against me. Even if you carry less gear the Whitney will handle it with ease.

Deadeye
11-05-2007, 10:18
Yes, synthetics DO stink, some much worse than others. For instance, I have Helly Hanson polypro long underwear, EMS Techwick t-shirts and long sleeve zip-t's, patagonia capilene, and some tees made with Visa Endurance fabric (with silver).

After a few days, it doesn't matter - you stink, but IMHO, the Visa endurance really does cut down on the stink for the first few days, of course "less stinky" is a relative term. The other fabrics will start to stink in just a few hours, and they stink worse. Every body is different, your mileage may vary, but that's my experience.

taildragger
11-05-2007, 10:22
Alright, maybe I should have qualified my stench concern.

I'd like to be able to get the stench out, something that I have failed at with my EMS techwick shirt.

The sole reason that I'd like to get post hike stench out is so that I can wear the things when taking new people hiking, sometimes they are offended by my old hiking clothes stench before we hit the trail.

Deadeye
11-05-2007, 11:43
Alright, maybe I should have qualified my stench concern.

I'd like to be able to get the stench out, something that I have failed at with my EMS techwick shirt.

The sole reason that I'd like to get post hike stench out is so that I can wear the things when taking new people hiking, sometimes they are offended by my old hiking clothes stench before we hit the trail.

Well, then, good news! The visa endurance fabric will be de-stenched in the laundry.

bigcranky
11-05-2007, 12:15
I tried a very lightweight wool base layer last spring, and wore it while hiking hard for 9 days straight, with one town stop and one washing. It never smelled bad, ever. Given that my poly top would have been stinking to high heaven after the first couple of hours, I was amazed.

Tinker
11-05-2007, 12:26
for a base layer. Polypro is the older of the two "miracle" fabrics, is lighter, and dries more quickly. Unfortunately, it pills more easily and melts at a lower temperature. I have melted holes in my polypro in the clothes dryer when I left them in too long after the tumbling stopped.

Polyester tends to feel smoother than polypro, resists pilling,and heat in a dryer better, but is heavier (for the same warmth) and dries more slowly. It also tends to hold smells slightly less tenaciously than polypro.
My current favorite is made by Duofold. I also have some EMS and REI polypro (old) which I use on short hikes for the above reasons.

I've been meaning to try wool, but it dries quite a bit more slowly than polypro and somewhat more slowly than polyester. Here in the Northeast that's an important factor in multi-day hikes. I will say that, in my younger days as an aspiring bicycle racer, I often wore wool bike jerseys on daily training rides, often for three or four days in a row without laundering, and they did not seem to hold smells anywhere near as much as the above mentioned synthetics. Silver threads and antimicrobial treatments I haven't had experience with in synthetics.

T.

Miner
11-05-2007, 15:34
For baselayers, get something that resists odors if you go the synthetic route as others have mentioned.

For your backpack, you should get all your gear together before buying a pack as you need to see how large of a pack you need. Some people are able to carry a 5lb baseweight and can use a small pack, others can't get below 20lbs. You don't want to buy a smaller pack and find that you can't fit everything in it because you weren't able to reduce your gear as much as you thought you would.

Make sure you get a pack large enough to carry a bear cannister in the Sierras and can handle the extra 6-8L of water you will likely be carrying in the desert. For many that means a pack that can carry up to 40lbs comfortably. Some can go lighter and some need to go heavier. Only you can know your needs. Many people are happy with the ULA Catalyst or Six Moons Designs Starlight packs which are designed for around 40lbs. Some are happy with smaller/lighter packs.

FanaticFringer
11-05-2007, 16:22
for a base layer. Polypro is the older of the two "miracle" fabrics, is lighter, and dries more quickly. Unfortunately, it pills more easily and melts at a lower temperature. I have melted holes in my polypro in the clothes dryer when I left them in too long after the tumbling stopped.

Polyester tends to feel smoother than polypro, resists pilling,and heat in a dryer better, but is heavier (for the same warmth) and dries more slowly. It also tends to hold smells slightly less tenaciously than polypro.
My current favorite is made by Duofold. I also have some EMS and REI polypro (old) which I use on short hikes for the above reasons.

I've been meaning to try wool, but it dries quite a bit more slowly than polypro and somewhat more slowly than polyester. Here in the Northeast that's an important factor in multi-day hikes. I will say that, in my younger days as an aspiring bicycle racer, I often wore wool bike jerseys on daily training rides, often for three or four days in a row without laundering, and they did not seem to hold smells anywhere near as much as the above mentioned synthetics. Silver threads and antimicrobial treatments I haven't had experience with in synthetics.

T.

Line dry your polypro and polyester. The dryer is not worth the risk.

taildragger
11-06-2007, 09:10
Alright, so it looks like for my long hike I might just get me some light and cheap ones (darn budgeting), hopefully I can find some Ice breakers on sale.
BTW, what weights should I be looking at? I was gonna use silk or silk weight in the desert, but in the Sierra's I figure that I'll need something with a little more umph to it.

As for the water, I guess its about time to learn the different ways to load up that Whitney with the water and see whats most comfortable, 3 litres in the bladder, 1 in the gatorade bottle, now just to figure out where and how to position the other 2-4 litres:-?

vaporjourney
11-06-2007, 10:15
Alright, so it looks like for my long hike I might just get me some light and cheap ones (darn budgeting), hopefully I can find some Ice breakers on sale.
BTW, what weights should I be looking at? I was gonna use silk or silk weight in the desert, but in the Sierra's I figure that I'll need something with a little more umph to it.

As for the water, I guess its about time to learn the different ways to load up that Whitney with the water and see whats most comfortable, 3 litres in the bladder, 1 in the gatorade bottle, now just to figure out where and how to position the other 2-4 litres:-?

Depending on how many shirts you carry with you while traveling, you could still keep at least one of the micro/silkweight shirts. I always had the lightest possible Smartwool shirt with me, no matter what the season on my AT-thru. As long as I was moving, the silkweight was perfect. On breaks just throw on a windshirt/rainjacket. Then after settled for the night, I'd break out the thicker, clean, dry shirt. Then again, if you are carrying one shirt, I'd still stick with a thin shirt, and supplement with a windshirt or draping a sleeping bag over the torso..

WATER: I'm in the same boat as you are in wondering what to do with water on the PCT, especially in a lightweight backpack. One tip I took from Francis Tapon, who just yo-yoed the CDT, is that you can carry one of the Platypus water carriers in your hand while hiking. I hate to have things in my hands while hiking, other than poles, but carrying 3-4 Liters seems like a good way to avoid putting stress on your pack. So 4 Liters in the pack, and then another Gallon in hand could be enough to get through those stretches? I just ordered Yogi's PCT Handbook, and look forward to getting an idea of how much water is needed to carry in certain sections. If up to 3 gallons is necessary, I may have to stick with the sturdy ULA Catalyst...definitely wanted to carry something lighter than that on the trip though, say at MLD Zip.

taildragger
11-06-2007, 10:32
WATER: I'm in the same boat as you are in wondering what to do with water on the PCT, especially in a lightweight backpack. One tip I took from Francis Tapon, who just yo-yoed the CDT, is that you can carry one of the Platypus water carriers in your hand while hiking. I hate to have things in my hands while hiking, other than poles, but carrying 3-4 Liters seems like a good way to avoid putting stress on your pack. So 4 Liters in the pack, and then another Gallon in hand could be enough to get through those stretches? I just ordered Yogi's PCT Handbook, and look forward to getting an idea of how much water is needed to carry in certain sections. If up to 3 gallons is necessary, I may have to stick with the sturdy ULA Catalyst...definitely wanted to carry something lighter than that on the trip though, say at MLD Zip.

What about modifying the belt so that the water is carried there? This was one of my ideas. I don't think that my pack will be stressed by weight of the water, its more of a distribution and packing issue (and worry about leakage inside pack). I don't think that I would (will) do this with platty's, I'll try and make some hangers for Gatorade bottles.

ScottP
11-06-2007, 13:23
I wouldn't use platty's again, i don't think. They tend to form leaks--they can always be duct tapes, but leaky water containers in the desert is a bit scary. Plus, I drink way too much water if I have that hose dangling in front of me all the time. I'd just use gatorade bottles and the like.

How do you deal with the desert? Well, you can hang out near water sources during the heat of the day, or carry an umbrella and some extra water. 5-6 liters is a typical haul in the southern portion, 8 was the most i ever took, i believe. That's a lot, but remember, the desert section is flattish.

Also, not having trekking poles would be a huge help in the desert--consume less energy, heat up less, etc.

As far as base layers go, you just want something to keep the sun off you--something with a lot of mesh and that's as thin as possible. If you use short sleeves get Aloe Gator sunblock. Don't even think about wool for the pct....that just sounds icky. Everything is going to stink, especcially you. Don't even worry about it.

A huge, goofy hat and sunglasses are key as well.

If you actually read the rules, you can make it through the sierras with only having one or two illegal campsites without a bear canister. None of the rangers i met in the sierras had any interest in what I had in my pack when I met them.

Go with a lighter pack if you can. I used a pack with no hipbelt for the PCt and regretted it for probably 5-6 days of my hike (heavy water/food hauls).

Enjoy the PCT--I loved it far more than the AT.