PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 to 1 day hikes near the Tobacco Triangle in NC

Bootstrap
11-05-2007, 10:07
Between now and Christmas, I'm pretty much limited to one-day hikes. I know a lot of the usual places for 1/2 to 1 day hikes around here:

Very local (< 1 hour drive):
- Umstead
- Falls Lake/MST
- Duke Forest (which, honestly, I know only small parts of)
- Jordan (I've heard, I don't know these trails)

A little less local (< 2 hours drive):
- Uwharries
- Hanging Rock
- Stone Mountain

I've actually started a Google map for this, and I'd like to make lists in concentric circles - 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 5 hours.

Does something like this already exist? Can anyone help me with suggestions?

Jonathan

Uncle Silly
11-05-2007, 11:46
* Eno River SP is near you, as is the adjacent West Point on the Eno.
* Duke Forest itself is pretty large and has some good hiking.
* Kerr Lake State Recreation Area is also within an hour (near Henderson, N on I-85), as is
* Harris Lake (near Apex).
* Raven Rock SP is near Sanford
* Cedarock Park is near Burlington.

A little further out, you can find
* the Uwharrie Trail area (you mentioned; near Troy)
* Birkhead Mountain Wilderness (near Asheboro)
* Pilot Mountain (N of Winston, a little further from you than Hanging Rock)
* Doughton SP (a little further from you than Stone Mtn SP; both of these are adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway)

I highly recommend the book "North Carolina: A Guide to Backcountry Travel & Adventure" by James Bannon (ISBN 0964858401). I have the original edition (published 1995); I'm pretty sure I've seen a 2nd edition somewhere along the line. The book may be out of print (Amazon.com doesn't seem to have a current listing), though I'm reasonably sure you'll be able to find it on bookshelves at your local outfitter. Basically it's a survey of backcountry opportunities throughout NC, across the entire state, and which sites provide what opportunities for hiking, camping, canoeing/kayaking, fishing, and mtn biking. It describes each place, gives basic directions, and provides addresses for ranger stations and the like for more information. Phone numbers, fees, regulations and restrictions are given but may be outdated. This is my main resource for basic information about NC state parks.

The same author has done similar books for Virginia & West Virginia.

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 14:06
Between now and Christmas, I'm pretty much limited to one-day hikes. I know a lot of the usual places for 1/2 to 1 day hikes around here:

Very local (< 1 hour drive):
- Umstead
- Falls Lake/MST
- Duke Forest (which, honestly, I know only small parts of)
- Jordan (I've heard, I don't know these trails)

A little less local (< 2 hours drive):
- Uwharries
- Hanging Rock
- Stone Mountain

I've actually started a Google map for this, and I'd like to make lists in concentric circles - 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 5 hours.

Does something like this already exist? Can anyone help me with suggestions?

JonathanFriends of mine in Winston tell me that Pilot Mountain is quite nice. MST runs through the area.

sherrill
11-05-2007, 14:14
You'll be able to get info for good hikes here:

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/main/visit.html

I particularly like Stone Mountain, especially the loop from Cedar Rock around to Wolf Rock and back to Stone Mountain.

Uncle Silly
11-05-2007, 14:37
Ooo! Thanks for that link, Sherrill; I was looking for that a few days ago and couldn't find it.

Ashman
11-05-2007, 15:19
Pilot Mountain is nice, Hanging Rock is better IMHO, more trails, not as crowded.

Bootstrap
11-05-2007, 15:23
FWIW, Hanging Rock, Raven Rock, and the Uwharries have become my default "get away for a day" hikes. Pilot Mountain is a great place to hike with the kids around the mountain and let them scramble on rocks, I haven't tried the longer trail there - how is it?

Stone Mountain looks like a "must do" soon.

Jonathan

Ashman
11-05-2007, 15:27
Its more of an end to end type of trail, Hanging Rock has more curcuit hikes and some really nice waterfalls. The "main" trail at Pilot around the knob has been very crowded when I have been there.

D'Artagnan
11-05-2007, 16:38
Whenever I try to introduce friends to hiking, I normally take them to Hanging Rock or Stone Mountain. Both have great views and normally get them excited about doing more hiking since neither are too terribly taxing.

Short Term
11-13-2007, 12:40
MST at Falls Lake is a good trail. You can do small sections or try the entire 26 (?) miles. You have to get over hiking within yards of back yards though. Further west towards Durham I don't think presents that problem.

Uncle Silly
11-13-2007, 13:06
MST at Falls Lake is a good trail. You can do small sections or try the entire 26 (?) miles.

You're thinking of the Falls Lake Trail, which is 26 miles, and a subsection of the Mountains to Sea Trail (http://www.ncmst.org/) (MST), which is 900+ miles and not yet complete. I think most of the MST in the Raleigh/Durham area is presently roadwalk; the Falls Lake Trail is the only actual separate footpath.

I'm slightly confused as to why a 500-mile-long state takes 900+ miles to cross on foot, but it appears they're avoiding Charlotte (http://www.ncmst.org/trailinfo.htm), so I'm happy. :D

booney_1
11-13-2007, 17:43
Hanging Rock has the most interesting trails around here. The views are fantastic and the hiking is pretty rugged. If you feel especially ambitious there is a trail that connects pilot mountain with hanging rock (20 miles). It is part of the Mountains to Sea route, called Sauratown trail.

The Uwharrie National Forest is nice, but I'd wait for hunting season to end.
Gun Season for Deer just started, and I think it runs through december. Being a national forest it is open for hunting (as is the Birkhead Wilderness), and is very popular for this. (although there is no hunting on sunday)

Hope you have some good hikes...

Bootstrap
11-13-2007, 18:32
My girlfriend and I did 7 miles at Hanging Rock last Saturday, beautiful views in peak color, including Hanging Rock, Wolf Loop, Cook's Wall, the lake trail. This is maybe my 3rd time to Hanging Rock, and I do like it. This time of year, there were a zilion people there, including at least two scout troops, so we didn't have a lot of time alone. Still very nice.

I've hiked and backpacked in the Uwharries several times, we became boyfriend/girlfriend on a hike in the Birkhead Wilderness two years ago.

No hunting on Sunday? Hah, I didn't know that, that's *GREAT* to know!

Jonathan