PDA

View Full Version : Hunters Along the AT?

norman55
11-05-2007, 10:26
I'm a newbie planning a family fall hike - several days in GA and NC.

I looked at several older posting concerning hiking during hunting seasons and checked out all the do's and don't. I have reseached what is expected of both hunters and hikers but figure expectations may not equal reality.

I was hoping to get a little "been there, done that" advise on the advisibilty of being on the AT this time on year.

Thanks,
Sam

MOWGLI
11-05-2007, 10:29
Stay out of the woods the first weekend of rifle season. ALWAYS wear blaze orange during hunting season.

The ATC website should have the dates for hunting season in all 14 states.

Enjoy!

Waterbuffalo
11-05-2007, 19:05
Wear Orange Rifle Season in Georgia Started 3 weeks ago so the big rush is over

Marta
11-05-2007, 19:09
I agree with the above recommendations, and would also advise avoiding walking during low-light conditions, such as dawn and dusk. Blaze orange hats are cheap and available at every Wal-Mart, Cabelas, and hunting supply store.

envirodiver
11-05-2007, 19:12
You can find blaze orange bandanas at a lot of places too.

Waterbuffalo
11-05-2007, 21:00
I agree with the above recommendations, and would also advise avoiding walking during low-light conditions, such as dawn and dusk. Blaze orange hats are cheap and available at every Wal-Mart, Cabelas, and hunting supply store.

I agree too That is the main time hunters will be out

Deerleg
11-06-2007, 09:27
I took a 7-day hike from Unicoi Gap (GA) all the way thru NC during the peak of bear gun season. It is a cultural tradition for large groups of hunters, fathers, sons, and grandsons, to hunt the North Carolina Mountains with their hounds. On Oct 15th I must have seen no less then 40 hunters and 100 hounds all using the trail to hunt the mountains they grew up in and hold so dear. I enjoyed, along with those men the sound of the hounds baying off in the valleys as they picked up the sent of their quarry. I felt like a guest in their house and acted accordingly. To a man they were a very courteous group and I stopped and talked with several groups over the 1st couple days of hunting season. I only heard 3 shots all week, so I would say over all they were only shooting when a target was clearly identified.
With a little common since and awareness of where you are there is no reason you can’t enjoy a great fall hike with our fellow outdoor enthusiasts.

emerald
11-06-2007, 17:07
The ATC website should have the dates for hunting seasons in all 14 states.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.2106449/

WhiteBlazers may want to read Hunting and the A.T. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28211), a thread I started. I intend to continue to provide updates for Pennsylvania. Any other assistance would be appreciated.