PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru-Hike Partner Quest

hardinking
11-05-2007, 15:03
AT Thru-hike Partner Quest

Two friends (Bill, retiring; Hardin, retired) from the NW, both with personal ties to the SE, planned an AT thru-hike in 2008 – late March to early October. Conditions have necessitated Bill to cancel his plans. I still plan the thru-hike, but prefer to at least begin the six-month thru-hike with a hiking partner. If you are open to the possibility of a retired grey-head moderate-hiking speed partner on your AT thru-hike, please contact [email protected] ([email protected]).

Dancer
11-06-2007, 07:51
:welcome Welcome to Whiteblaze Hardin, good luck on your search. I'm Southbound, Maine to Georgia beginning in mid-June so we'll probably pass each other somewhere. See you out there.

Lilred
11-06-2007, 18:30
Welcome aboard Hardin. I'm sure you'll have no problem meeting up with people that will be starting the same time as you. You'll hear lots of folks tell you to just c'mon, you'll find a partner in no time once you're on the trail. They'd be right. Maybe I'll see you on the trail next year.

Appalachian Tater
11-06-2007, 18:44
What Lired said. After a short time you'll be seeing some of the same people several times a day and at night. You have a better chance of finding compatible hiking buddies on the trail.

mobileman
11-07-2007, 02:40
Welcome to Whiteblaze Harden,

mobileman
11-07-2007, 02:45
Welcome to Whiteblaze Harden,
I sent you an E-mail.

mikemize
11-09-2007, 16:02
hello everyone..my name is mike and i just recently found this website, and i love it! i am in the early stages of planning a thru-hike in 2008(march)..i am having trouble finding the "core gear".i.e..boots/shoes and a good pack..there are so many options out there. any advise would be greatly appreciated..i am also looking to find some trailbuddies.geel free to e-mail me [email protected]. good luck to all!

Lilred
11-09-2007, 23:08
Welcome to Whiteblaze Mike. You've found the one place to learn all you need to prepare. Good luck and keep us posted.

mtt37849
11-16-2007, 03:41
Hey guys my name is Matt, a 24 year old male living in Knoxville, TN. I"m also searching for a NOBO thru-hiking buddy. Looking to leave late March early April. Also looking for a ride or way back to Knoxville just out of the GSMNP. On that note, what is the best way to get back from ME to Knoxville, TN?? Thanks guys.

Kirby
11-16-2007, 10:09
Hey guys my name is Matt, a 24 year old male living in Knoxville, TN. I"m also searching for a NOBO thru-hiking buddy. Looking to leave late March early April. Also looking for a ride or way back to Knoxville just out of the GSMNP. On that note, what is the best way to get back from ME to Knoxville, TN?? Thanks guys.

Take a bus from Bangor to Boston, fly from, Boston to Knoxville.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-16-2007, 10:12

you'll have no problem finding partners late march/early april. you'll be at springer with 15-20 others the day you start. the best way back from maine is to fly from bangor airport to knoxville.

Miss Janet
11-16-2007, 10:45
Every year I see partners who are life long friends, married to each other or in other ways very committed to each other... that have a VERY HARD time hiking together. Usually it is a pace and style thing that they didn't even know they had before they started. Find a hiking buddy for your training hikes but plan to start solo for your Thruhike attempt and you will find the partners that hike like you do!

Kirby
11-16-2007, 10:49
you'll have no problem finding partners late march/early april. you'll be at springer with 15-20 others the day you start. the best way back from maine is to fly from bangor airport to knoxville.

The only problem with flying from Bangor is that it tends to be more expensive because there is not a lot of competition there, but if you are looking for convience, that flying from Bangor would be the easiest thing.

Kirby