PDA

View Full Version : Question on Packing Tents

sweetpeastu
11-05-2007, 15:47
Firstly, do any of you simply forgoe the stuff sack for your tent and stuff it down in the bottom of your pack? If so, what do you do when there is a heavy dew or it rains and your rainfly gets soaked? Do you attempt to dry it in some manner or stuff a rather wet fly/tent into your pack?

Pretty much everything I depend on being dry, clothes, sleeping bag, anything down goes into water proof stuff sacks so that dampness of a loose tent isn't huge problem, but I was just wondering what everyone esle does?

dessertrat
11-05-2007, 15:49
Firstly, do any of you simply forgoe the stuff sack for your tent and stuff it down in the bottom of your pack? If so, what do you do when there is a heavy dew or it rains and your rainfly gets soaked? Do you attempt to dry it in some manner or stuff a rather wet fly/tent into your pack?

Pretty much everything I depend on being dry, clothes, sleeping bag, anything down goes into water proof stuff sacks so that dampness of a loose tent isn't huge problem, but I was just wondering what everyone esle does?

I use the stuff sack. It's the sleeping bag which benefits the most from being loose. The stuff sack for my tent weighs almost nothing, and it compacts the tents substantially. Sometimes reducing bulk is as important as reducing weight.

sonic
11-05-2007, 15:59
I heard that some people "stuff" their tent in the sack, much like they would the sleeping bag, rather than roll it up and place it neatly in the sack, supposedly to eliminate the wear and tear at the crease lines. What are people really doing? :confused:

Ewker
11-05-2007, 16:00
my tent goes on the outside of my pack in its stuff sack. If it is raining I can get to it quickly without opening my pack and getting everything inside wet

gold bond
11-05-2007, 16:05
I never say never nor do I never say always but I usually stuff my tent into it's bag as long as it is not wet. Then I use my pad straps that are on my BP and loosely roll up my rain fly and strap it onto the outside of my pack. When I stop to eat breakfast or whatever I take the rain fly and hang it as best I can in the sun and wind and let it dry.
When it gets completly dry then I put it back in the bag with the tent.

gibsygoldtop
11-05-2007, 16:09
we stuff our tent into stuff sacks.

having the hubba hubba, one of us takes the fly and the other the tent.

we have them both stuffed into the 5x10 rei diddy bags. its gets the tent really small and saves alot of space in the pack.

SweetAss03
11-05-2007, 16:17
I always "trash pack" my tent into a compression sack, leaving out, of course the poles and stakes. I think that it takes up far less room being trash packed. When I get home I set it up and let it dry, air out, and I clean up the inside, then I fold it/roll it.
Stuffing it into the bottom of your pack, I think, would be a mess, take up too much room as you can't really compress it. And when it is wet...just seems like a mess.

dessertrat
11-05-2007, 16:22
I should add that the way my tent packs is with a stuff sack with compression straps. It goes in easy, then you cinch it up, which compresses it. Also handy for lashing it onto an external frame pack.

sweetpeastu
11-05-2007, 16:24
thank ya for the input. stuffed in my bag, it really doesn't take up much room at all...but I can't stand the idea of putting something wet/damp on the inside of my pack w/o it's being contained in some way...

canerunner
11-05-2007, 16:25
I prefer to use a tarp instead of a tent in most circumstances, except when biting bugs are a problem.

I also approach packing my clothes and other water sensitive things differently. Things like extra socks and shirts go into a plastic garbage bag, with all of the excess air squeezed out of it. It compacts very well, and takes up less room than any other method except a compression sack. A garbage bag also weighs less than a compression sack.

Other things get packed toward the bottom of the pack, with the tarp either on top of the pack if it's wet, or in the top compartment if it's dry. That way, I can get the tarp out and rig it first if it's raining. I don't have to set anything else up in the rain. Once the tarp is set, I can get under it, and do any other setup needed in a fairly dry environment.

I usually start packing with the things I need least or last in the bottom of the pack, like extra clothes. That's followed by things that will be needed less quickly, like food for hot meals, my stove and my cooking gear. On top of that, I'll place my no-see-um net or tarp tent, and any outer layers I may need on short notice. The tarp goes on the very top for quick access.

I keep my trail food, a pair of gloves (for cool weather camping), TP, my fuel bottle, and any other little things like that in external pockets on the pack so I don't have to dig for them.

I use a hydration bladder for water, so most of the time I don't even have to think about that. If extra water is needed (like right now, with our drought), I carry a Nalgene canteen, and stuff it in near my cooking gear, and close to the frame side of my pack. That way, the extra weight is close to my body and doesn't cause any balance issues.

mbushell2005
11-05-2007, 16:54
Hi brandy new here, I thought I'd jump in. I have a 4' para cord tied to one corner of the tent. I fold and roll my tent into a 6 inch round by 10 inch long roll. Then wrap the cord around four or so times so the tent won't unroll. Wipe off the outside of the roll with a chamois, and it will be clean enough to go anywhere you want to put it. Dont worry about moisture. As long as you set it up within 24hrs, it wont be a problem. Make sure to fold the tent a little differently each time to prevent fatigue and creases.

maxNcathy
11-05-2007, 17:46
I used compression sack for tent at bottom of pack...water bottles in side mesh pockets slid in and out easier that way.

Shake wet tent vigorously then stuff it into compression/stuff sack.It will dry some during the day some days..mould no problem so far.

Sandalwood

The Weasel
11-05-2007, 17:53
When I use a shelter (tent, tarp, hammock) that gets wet, I do NOT use a stuff sack. I roll it up carefull, with windows/doors closed to minimize wetness getting inside, and then use the fly, dry(er) side to wrap the tent and put into my pack.

TW

Lilred
11-05-2007, 17:54
I stuff my tent in a stuff sack and I keep it outside my pack. If it's wet, I stuff it inside my stuff sack and keep it outside of my pack. I'll dry it out when I break for lunch if the weather's cleared. I would never keep my tent at the bottom of my pack, in a sack or not. If you have to set up in a rainstorm, everything will get wet as you dig out your tent. Course, you would find that out the first time you had to dig out your tent in a rainstorm.

Footslogger
11-05-2007, 18:36

=====================================

I carry my tent in a mesh stuff sack, about the same size as the one it came with. As for packing it ...I just start stuffing it in at one end and keep on shoving till it's all inside. If I end up having to pack it up wet I just hang the entire mesh bag on the outside of my pack and let it air out as I hike. When I stop for lunch I pull it out of the sack and lay it over some branches to dry out.

When I'm home I air out the tent and keep it loosely thrown into an oversized stuff sack.

'Slogger

Waterbuffalo
11-05-2007, 19:01
I stuff my tent in a stuff sack like I do the sleeping bag it helps keep from breaking the sealed seams at the same place everytime and wearing them out

Cloudwalker
11-05-2007, 19:30
When I do carry a tent (I tarp camp most of the time) I just stuff in the top of my pack. When I get to my next camp site, it's right there on top and ready to be set up. I keep all of my other gear in one of those huge zip lock baggies so I don't worry about moisture on my tent fly. If my tent does get wet, I just simply shake as much of the condensation or moisture off and stuff away.

Appalachian Tater
11-05-2007, 19:49
my tent goes on the outside of my pack in its stuff sack. If it is raining I can get to it quickly without opening my pack and getting everything inside wet

Ditto, plus it's easy to spread out your went tent in the sun at lunch (if you are so lucky) and dry it.

rafe
11-05-2007, 22:00
Wet, dry, no difference. Tent gets rolled up in its stuff sack and carried outside the pack.

Blissful
11-05-2007, 22:51
Paul Bunyan carried our tent. When it was wet, we dried it as best we could (the MSR towel is good for that) and packed it in a sil nylon stuff sack and then in a Reynolds oven turkey bag since he carried it inside his pack (BTW now is the time to get them with Thanksgiving coming). When we got to a place with sun, etc, we took it out and dried it.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 23:13

DITTO, right choice.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 23:15
DITTO, right choice.

I'm sorry, I should have said GOOD CHOICE. For me anyway.

mts4602
11-05-2007, 23:31
For those of you that carry your tent outside your pack, how do you attach it to your pack? I've been putting mine in it's stuff sack and keeping it inside my pack...but it would definitly open up some room if I could carry it outside.

I know this is kind of a stupid question. I'm just wondering what others do.

rafe
11-05-2007, 23:33
For those of you that carry your tent outside your pack, how do you attach it to your pack?

Granite Gear packs (Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone) have a pair of compression straps across the front that seem made for this purpose.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 23:47
For those of you that carry your tent outside your pack, how do you attach it to your pack? I've been putting mine in it's stuff sack and keeping it inside my pack...but it would definitly open up some room if I could carry it outside.

I know this is kind of a stupid question. I'm just wondering what others do.

I'm going to attach mine with small bungee type cordage that run thru D-Rings on the back of the pack. Can also use mesh netting. For those who want to keep the tent and other gear attached to their pack dry, I'd say use a pack cover or poncho when raining. Just make sure its big enough to cover everything.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-06-2007, 21:13
Granite Gear packs (Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone) have a pair of compression straps across the front that seem made for this purpose.

i use my vapor trail for in this way for my tent poles only. i have plenty of room inside the pack for the tent itself all squished up inside its stuff sack.