PDA

View Full Version : Photo Opps

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 23:49
I am starting again to layout a calendar for my family as a Christmas present this year. I am looking to get a couple more day hikes with really good photo opportunities. I wanted some more waterfalls, but with the draught, most of them are low flowing. Any waterfalls still with a good flow?

I am looking around NE Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Southwest Virginia areas.

I am thinking Bays Mountain, Grayson Highlands (I want to see the ponies), Mt Mitchell (got to have the tallest eastern peak), Craggy Gardens (never been but I hear good things), and Linville Falls (already got portions of the gorge). Any others?

Cookerhiker
11-06-2007, 14:25
I assume you've already included Laurel Falls (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7927&catid=member&orderby=rating&direction=DESC&imageuser=5065&cutoffdate=-1) just north of Dennis Cove Rd before Pond Flat Mountain. Perhaps the nicest falls that the AT goes past. Don't know how the drought has affected the flow.

Possum Bill
11-06-2007, 14:47
Here's my waterfall photo page of the ones I've visited this year. It might give you some ideas: Possum's Waterfalls (http://racerscup.com/hiking/waterfalls.htm)

I think the Blue Hole in Stoney Creek would still give you some pretty good photo opps. Elk River Falls is still flowing great, and Dennis Cove Falls is a cool little waterfall that I was at just a few weeks ago. It gave me some nice photos even in dry conditions, plus it a good day hike that you could tie in with Laurel Falls.

Tennessee Viking
11-07-2007, 01:53
I assume you've already included Laurel Falls (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7927&catid=member&orderby=rating&direction=DESC&imageuser=5065&cutoffdate=-1) just north of Dennis Cove Rd before Pond Flat Mountain. Perhaps the nicest falls that the AT goes past. Don't know how the drought has affected the flow.
I was there about a month ago. It was low in flow. And littered with yocals trying to scale the falls.

But I got pics from the year before. But I would like to timeline my photos with the month I hiked them. I did get photos of Dennis Cove Falls in the spring and Coon Den Falls in the winter. The hike down Coon Den on the blue blaze in the winter is scary. I was taking the rock scrambles on my butt hoping not to slip.

I got Margarette, Elk Big Falls, Red Fork, Mountaineer, Jones (very low flow). I am still trying to talk a brave someone to hike to Buckeye Falls. I been told there is another view outside of Erwin but its a steep bushwhack hike.

Tennessee Viking
11-07-2007, 01:59
Here's my waterfall photo page of the ones I've visited this year. It might give you some ideas: Possum's Waterfalls (http://racerscup.com/hiking/waterfalls.htm)

I think the Blue Hole in Stoney Creek would still give you some pretty good photo opps. Elk River Falls is still flowing great, and Dennis Cove Falls is a cool little waterfall that I was at just a few weeks ago. It gave me some nice photos even in dry conditions, plus it a good day hike that you could tie in with Laurel Falls.
How far back was Dick Creek Falls from the forest road? I tried going there one time from Rattlesnake Ridge, and the bushwhack portion was just covered in thorns and briars.

Roots
11-07-2007, 08:28
I am starting again to layout a calendar for my family as a Christmas present this year. I am looking to get a couple more day hikes with really good photo opportunities. I wanted some more waterfalls, but with the draught, most of them are low flowing. Any waterfalls still with a good flow?

I am looking around NE Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Southwest Virginia areas.

I am thinking Bays Mountain, Grayson Highlands (I want to see the ponies), Mt Mitchell (got to have the tallest eastern peak), Craggy Gardens (never been but I hear good things), and Linville Falls (already got portions of the gorge). Any others?
BOY OH BOY have I got the place for you. Come take a visit in Transylvania County, NC.(BREVARD area) We are known for our waterfalls. We have Pisgah National forest at our doorstep and at least 4 other state parks within our county alone. We have the name "Land of the waterfalls", and we mean it. There are over 250 waterfalls in our county alone, not including surrounding counties (Jackson, Henderson, Greenville SC-just to name a few). Brevard caters to waterfall tourists and I have to admit, I love playing tourist in my own town. Give us a visit!! We are located 30 minutes southwest of ASHEVILLE, NC-love that place, too. Look up Transylvania County, NC on the net. The hiking around here is amazing!! Come visit!:sun

Possum Bill
11-07-2007, 10:44
How far back was Dick Creek Falls from the forest road? I tried going there one time from Rattlesnake Ridge, and the bushwhack portion was just covered in thorns and briars.

Ben, I went to Dick's Creek Falls via the Rattlesnake Ridge trail too. I took Rattlesnake Ridge to Dick's Creek Gap, then I took the forest road down to Dick's Creek. From there you ford Dick's Creek and then go just a few yards and take a right (heading south) on another forest road (not shown on map). It was about 3 tenths of a mile up that road, then just listen for the falls. There's very little bushwhacking off of that road, maybe just a hundred yards or so.

Here's a topo of that area. The red x is where the falls are located: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.1519&lon=-82.3272&datum=nad83&u=5&layer=DRG25&size=l&s=50

Here's my trail log from that hike too: http://racerscup.com/hiking/2007-01-15/dickcreek_1_15_07.htm

Flush2wice
11-07-2007, 11:06
BOY OH BOY have I got the place for you. Come take a visit in Transylvania County, NC.(BREVARD area) We are known for our waterfalls. We have Pisgah National forest at our doorstep and at least 4 other state parks within our county alone. We have the name "Land of the waterfalls", and we mean it. There are over 250 waterfalls in our county alone, not including surrounding counties (Jackson, Henderson, Greenville SC-just to name a few). Brevard caters to waterfall tourists and I have to admit, I love playing tourist in my own town. Give us a visit!! We are located 30 minutes southwest of ASHEVILLE, NC-love that place, too. Look up Transylvania County, NC on the net. The hiking around here is amazing!! Come visit!:sun
Amen to that. Also some good falls right off the road (hwy 64) between Highlands and Franklin NC.
If your in middle TN there is a really cool place called Lost Creek Falls. Here's a pic- http://www.pbase.com/rcstonemtnwaterfalls/image/76720775
I went there a few years ago after a week of rain. Imagine 5 times that much water flowing down. The cool part is that it falls into that pool of water then apparently drains down into a cave. There is no creek after that.
Also some other great caves in the area. Disney filmed part of the Jungle Book there.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 00:18
BOY OH BOY have I got the place for you. Come take a visit in Transylvania County, NC.(BREVARD area) We are known for our waterfalls. We have Pisgah National forest at our doorstep and at least 4 other state parks within our county alone. We have the name "Land of the waterfalls", and we mean it. There are over 250 waterfalls in our county alone, not including surrounding counties (Jackson, Henderson, Greenville SC-just to name a few). Brevard caters to waterfall tourists and I have to admit, I love playing tourist in my own town. Give us a visit!! We are located 30 minutes southwest of ASHEVILLE, NC-love that place, too. Look up Transylvania County, NC on the net. The hiking around here is amazing!! Come visit!:sunI been around ye ole Brevard. Visited Looking Glass but there was too many tourists around there to get a good pic. Roadside waterfall, what do you expect.

Did the falls at Graveyard Fields. I visited Caesars Head/Raven Cliff, but the orinigal overlook was closed. And the new overlook view was a bit obscured. But I did climb down the cliffs beside the falls. I haven't gone to Cashiers just yet.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 00:25
Ben, I went to Dick's Creek Falls via the Rattlesnake Ridge trail too. I took Rattlesnake Ridge to Dick's Creek Gap, then I took the forest road down to Dick's Creek. From there you ford Dick's Creek and then go just a few yards and take a right (heading south) on another forest road (not shown on map). It was about 3 tenths of a mile up that road, then just listen for the falls. There's very little bushwhacking off of that road, maybe just a hundred yards or so.

Here's a topo of that area. The red x is where the falls are located: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.1519&lon=-82.3272&datum=nad83&u=5&layer=DRG25&size=l&s=50

Here's my trail log from that hike too: http://racerscup.com/hiking/2007-01-15/dickcreek_1_15_07.htm

I attempted it back in Winter '07. I walked past Dicks Creek about a quarter mile looking for a trail or road. But there were a ton of cut, but not removed, trees and brush debris.

Nearly Normal
11-08-2007, 02:16
Hike Panthertown, near Cashiers NC. It's ate up with falls.
Highlands NC is famous for falls.

The Foothills trail in SC has some very nice falls, even the highest east of the Mississippi. Also some of the best rapids you will find in the southeast.

Elk River Falls, close to Roan mountain is one of the best swimming holes I've ever seen.

With the drought still gripping the southern Blue Ridge you might not find what you want untill the weather changes.

Nearly Normal

catscastle
11-08-2007, 02:18
Keep in mind they are constructing a new Observation Tower on Mt Mitchell, I was able to sneak to the top and snap a couple pics I will post in my gallery.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 03:27
Keep in mind they are constructing a new Observation Tower on Mt Mitchell, I was able to sneak to the top and snap a couple pics I will post in my gallery.Glad you told me, I was about to go there in about a week.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 03:30
Hike Panthertown, near Cashiers NC. It's ate up with falls.
Highlands NC is famous for falls.

The Foothills trail in SC has some very nice falls, even the highest east of the Mississippi. Also some of the best rapids you will find in the southeast.

Elk River Falls, close to Roan mountain is one of the best swimming holes I've ever seen.

With the drought still gripping the southern Blue Ridge you might not find what you want untill the weather changes.

Nearly Normal
How are the Linville Falls and the falls in Wilson Creek Gorge & Lost Cove