PDA

View Full Version : A not-so-funny thing happened on the way to the trail...

Dancer
11-06-2007, 06:32
Well kids, I was all ready to do my first training and shakedown hike from Fontana Dam to the NOC a couple of weeks back. I took off work and even had a partner set up.

I was on my way to the NOC where I was meeting my partner the next morning when I somehow managed to hit another car and total mine.

I'm ok and so are the people in the other car but now I'm saddled with another loan payment and part of the old one because insurance is a big rip-off. I know that stuff like this happens but it's a little depressing.

I'm still committed to my SOBO next year. I know that I am going to have to work my butt off to get my finances in line. It will all be worth it when I'm on the trail and free for 6 months. I'm going to live my dream or die trying.

AW

TOW
11-06-2007, 06:48
Well, I am glad that you lived through the whole thing to come back and tell us about it. How are the other people?

EWS
11-06-2007, 06:51
That sucks. Are you certain you didn't have gap coverage on the loan or on your insurance.

Dancer
11-06-2007, 07:00
Well, I am glad that you lived through the whole thing to come back and tell us about it. How are the other people?

The other folks were ok, it was a low speed collision. I can't be sure because it happened really fast but I think he cut in front of me and there wasn't room. I just happened to glance down for a second and when I glanced up he was there out of nowhere. It was basically stop and roll traffic in Charlotte. My car wouldn't have been so bad but the brakes went out and it went down an enbankment about 40 ft into a ditch. I got out first, thank God.

AW

PS, I didn't even know GAP insurance existed until this happened and everyone started asking if I had it.:rolleyes:

Bootstrap
11-06-2007, 07:03
It's great that everyone is OK. Must have been quite a shock!

In the long run, cars are replacable, money evens out somehow. And you hadn't planned to drive that car down the AT anyway, right?

Jonathan

Two Speed
11-06-2007, 07:05
Just goes to prove the most dangerous thing about hiking is the drive to the trail. Good to hear no one was seriously injured.

Kirby
11-06-2007, 07:24
I solve the whole problem by refusing to enter anything that moves faster than 2-3 MPH. ;)

KIrby

Dancer
11-06-2007, 07:37
I solve the whole problem by refusing to enter anything that moves faster than 2-3 MPH. ;)

KIrby

Good grief! I'd never make it to the trail at that pace!:p

Marta
11-06-2007, 07:50
That sucks! I'm glad you and the other people are okay, physically, if not financially.

I live in Charlotte, so it always bemuses me when people worry about me being out hiking. Between the traffic and the other crime, how I could possibly be safer staying at home? But I digress...

Best wishes on pulling through this mess!

warraghiyagey
11-06-2007, 08:16
. . . I'm still committed to my SOBO next year. I know that I am going to have to work my butt off to get my finances in line. It will all be worth it when I'm on the trail and free for 6 months. I'm going to live my dream or die trying.

AW

Hey girl, sounds like you are in good spirits all things consdered. Hoping this at least lends a wider perspective on your upcoming hike. Maybe see you on the trail.
Peace
SOBO8 June 1:) :)

pitdog
11-06-2007, 08:28
Hey,lets keep voting in the politations with the insurances interests,not the people,in their pockets.They say one has to have coverage,thats great,but when its time for payout,the people are last in line. Check out some of the buildings these people operate out of and we pay for it,by law.

Dancer
11-06-2007, 08:35
Hey,lets keep voting in the politations with the insurances interests,not the people,in their pockets.They say one has to have coverage,thats great,but when its time for payout,the people are last in line. Check out some of the buildings these people operate out of and we pay for it,by law.

I appreciate your interest but I'd rather not make this a political thread. For the record, I probably didn't have the best insurance and hadn't checked the value of the policy when I refinanced my loan.

See you on the trail.

pitdog
11-06-2007, 09:03
I dont like seeing people getting cheated,and others rich off of the suffering of the people;however,I have been screwed several times by ins companys.These companys have kept me off the trail for years.By being dead beats.But not in 2008.Peace

maxNcathy
11-06-2007, 09:24
As thru life You roll,
Keep your eye on the doughnut
And not on the hole.

...and that is what you are doing.

Good luck on your hike, Amazonwoman.

Sandalwood

Freeleo
11-06-2007, 09:40
AW,
sorry to hear about your accident...if you have good credit you might be able to lease a car(short term) up until your hike and maybe even make some money in the process if the seller is offering an incentive
www.swapalease.com (http://www.swapalease.com)
if you would like you can call and ask for the guy whos hiking the AT next year(jeff) and i can try to help you out

hope all works out....good day

Cannibal
11-06-2007, 09:43
Glad you're OK!

Dancer
11-06-2007, 13:58
Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys are the best!

AW

dixicritter
11-06-2007, 16:15
Sorry about the accident AW, glad to hear everyone's ok though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-06-2007, 16:30
:(:eek::( Overjoyed that you and the those in the other car where not injured :(:eek::(

While I know the financial aspects are tough, the mangled metal can be replaced. You and your parts can't.

::: Dino wraps a loving tail around AmazonWoman :::

Mags
11-06-2007, 16:56
Ouch! As others said, at least no one was injured. Life is less compicated at 2-3 MPH indeed. :)

Mad Hatter 08
11-06-2007, 17:45
Here's an Idea. Instead of a new car with a high loan that you'll need to pay, try getting a (cheapo) used car, just make sure someone looks it over so you don't find out you have to fix a lot of stuff. use that to get around till march/april?? then after you get back from your trip look for a new car.

smokymtnsteve
11-06-2007, 19:58
thank goodness for ole 500 dollar pick up trucks;)

you don't need to insure them, when they quit running you jist buy another,

I'm always on the look out for a old pick up to buy ,,,gotta have an extra one waiting.

left my last old pick up truck at the dump where it quit running, lucklily my spare pickup cranked when I got home.

had the old truck for over three years ..never even changed the oil in it.

Mad Hatter 08
11-07-2007, 01:25
had the old truck for over three years ..never even changed the oil in it.

maybe thats why the trucks keep dying.

wrongway_08
11-07-2007, 13:26
Glad your okay, hope to see you on the trail!

Dancer
11-07-2007, 13:51
Here's an Idea. Instead of a new car with a high loan that you'll need to pay, try getting a (cheapo) used car, just make sure someone looks it over so you don't find out you have to fix a lot of stuff. use that to get around till march/april?? then after you get back from your trip look for a new car.

That is basically what I did. I got another car like my old one, just 2 years newer for a really good price and a low payment. I know I probably won't be able to pay it off before I leave but maybe have my support person mail my payments for my while I'm gone.

Steve, I know where you are coming from on the old trucks. Because my dad could work on cars I always drove something about 2 days from the junkyard! My first car was a primer orange old Chevy Nova. Before it would crank you had to pop the hood, take out the air filter and bang on this bolt with a wrench. That was fun to do in the high school parking lot...... The redeeming thing was that the V8 in it would outrun anything else in the parking lot.:D

Thanks everyone again for the encouragement.

smokymtnsteve
11-13-2007, 21:17
maybe thats why the trucks keep dying.

or maybe it was because it had in excess of 230,000 miles of alaskan winter and Yukon territory travel on it?