PDA

View Full Version : Trailplace.com: What happened to the forums?

Flotsam
11-06-2007, 14:25
:confused:

I used to go there now and then. Just returned. I read all about the transfer from Wingfoot to the new guy, no interest in discussing Wingfoot or whatever. Just wondering what happened to the discussion forums there, or if they ARE there and I just can't find them?

Sly
11-06-2007, 14:28
:confused:

I used to go there now and then. Just returned. I read all about the transfer from Wingfoot to the new guy, no interest in discussing Wingfoot or whatever. Just wondering what happened to the discussion forums there, or if they ARE there and I just can't find them?

The new owner is working on the Handbook and hopes to add the forum later. No sense in having WF's forum when he's not the owner any more.

Until then you'll have to make due here.

Flotsam
11-06-2007, 14:34
The new owner is working on the Handbook and hopes to add the forum later. No sense in having WF's forum when he's not the owner any more.

Until then you'll have to make due here.
'k thanks

Jack Tarlin
11-06-2007, 15:00
Sly is 100% correct.

Bob (the new Trailplace Administrator) is presently on the road doing research for his book. I saw him briefly in Hanover; he's a great guy and is VERY dedicated to what he's doing. Right now, his priority is completing personal, hand-on research for the 2008 Handbook, and then getting the book done and sent to the printer on time. As soon as THAT is done, he'll get back to the website, but for the time being, his priority, as it should be, is the completion and publication of the book, and not the website.

Jarhead16
11-06-2007, 15:02
I came here because of that same reason! I was almost in tears when I went to trailplace and it was in ruins.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:09
oh me too. i was devastated when wingfoot shut down. i couldn't function for days. i'm still very sad

Sly
11-06-2007, 15:19
oh me too. i was devastated when wingfoot shut down. i couldn't function for days. i'm still very sad

I feel your pain.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:21
I feel your pain.

thank you. it means a lot

max patch
11-06-2007, 15:31

I bet. You were the most knowlegable contributor on Dans website. Nice and polite too. I've always considered you as Exhibit A as to the benefits of a moderated website.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:32
I bet. You were the most knowlegable contributor on Dans website. Nice and polite too. I've always considered you as Exhibit A as to the benefits of a moderated website.

i know. amazing huh? :)

Phreak
11-06-2007, 15:36
ROFL - nice post!

Roland
11-06-2007, 18:34

Has anyone ever suggested that WB pay you a fee for the entertainment you provide? ;)

Appalachian Tater
11-06-2007, 18:42
The new owner got ownership of the address but not the content. The old forums are gone forever.

Tin Man
11-06-2007, 18:46
This forum belongs under humor...too funny. :D

The Weasel
11-06-2007, 19:20
thank you. it means a lot

we can tell

TW

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-06-2007, 20:01
First, welcome to WhiteBlaze, Flotsam
The new owner got ownership of the address but not the content. The old forums are gone forever.As I understood it, Wingfoot deleted the database containing the forums before the site and book rights were sold. If that is the case, then the forums are gone forever (except for what was archived by sites like Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://trailplace.com)).

Bob McCaw
11-06-2007, 20:08
I am the new owner of Trailplace, but this thread leaves me speechless!

orangebug
11-06-2007, 20:12
Group Hug!!!!

BTW, welcome to old TP members. Congratulations to TP for finding a new and resourceful owner with an eye on priorities. Good luck with the book.

Kirby
11-06-2007, 20:32
It is very encouraging knowing that new owner is participating in White Blaze, even when he has his own site, own the Handbook is coming along well.

Should I make the check payable to Lone Wolf?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 20:37
It is very encouraging knowing that new owner is participating in White Blaze, even when he has his own site, own the Handbook is coming along well.

Should I make the check payable to Lone Wolf?

Kirby

make it out to Bob. i don't need it. i'm filthy rich

Kirby
11-06-2007, 20:41

Thanks for the advice;).

I will be buying that hanbook, the way the companion is structured gets under my skin, there is some simplicity to the Thru Hikers Handbook, even though the two books say a lot of the same information.

Kirby

The Weasel
11-06-2007, 20:42

You left the conjunction "and" out of the last sentence above.

TW

Flotsam
11-06-2007, 21:01
Thanks for the welcome!

Wingfoot deleted the database containing the forums

You're kidding me. :eek: What the &(^&*)%$ for?? There were YEARS of info, discussions, etc there. Don't get me wrong, this site is a great source of info too, but holy *(^(&, WHY??????

max patch
11-06-2007, 21:12
You're kidding me. :eek: What the &(^&*)%$ for?? There were YEARS of info, discussions, etc there. Don't get me wrong, this site is a great source of info too, but holy *(^(&, WHY??????

There is no reason to keep old forums.

As a matter of fact, Dan used to delete all forums around the first of the year every year and start fresh. He stopped this practice with the last version of TP.

Flotsam
11-06-2007, 21:13
There is no reason to keep old forums.

Youre joking right?

max patch
11-06-2007, 21:20
Youre joking right?

No, I'm serious.

What value does a 2005 forum on "what 20 degree sleeping bag should I buy?"
Especially when the same question gets asked multiple times in 2006 and 2007. People don't search old forums. They just reask the question.

Kirby
11-06-2007, 21:30
There are some people who get annoyed with the same question being asked year after year, it is nice to look at older threads for information. On this site, if a thread you have started falls apart, which can happen, you can look at older threads on the same thing for some more information.

Kirby

Flotsam
11-06-2007, 21:52
History has no value?

I agree that 5 YO threads about specific gear makes and models is pretty useless, but the most valuable forum content, IMO is about people and places, not merchandise. History and community.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-06-2007, 21:58
Flotsam, I agree that the loss of the 'people history' from Trailplace's forum was tragic, but what is done is done. While some has been archived (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://trailplace.com), most of the content is gone. I am sorry for your loss.

Kirby
11-06-2007, 22:09
History has no value?

I agree that 5 YO threads about specific gear makes and models is pretty useless, but the most valuable forum content, IMO is about people and places, not merchandise. History and community.

Those people are floating around on this site, quite a few of us who used to be regulars on trailplace.com switched here and participate actively here. Same knowlledge, same trail, same goal, some different people.

Kirby

SlowLightTrek
11-06-2007, 22:16
I am the new owner of Trailplace, but this thread leaves me speechless!

I through hiked this year and I took notes on changes i saw in WF's 2007 book. You are welcome to the notes if you want. Anything to help other hikers.

Skyline
11-06-2007, 22:23
Ordinary threads on WB and other sites can become dated sometimes, and often suffer from thread drift and maybe acrimony.

The "Articles" section of WB, however, may stand the test of time (and if not, can always be updated or deleted). They are intended to be topic-specific and are written more like a magazine feature than a free-wheeling exchange among WBers. Some have feedback from others, but they generally stay on topic.

Bob McCaw
11-06-2007, 23:38
I through hiked this year and I took notes on changes i saw in WF's 2007 book. You are welcome to the notes if you want. Anything to help other hikers.

I'm definitely interested in whatever information people have that might improve the Handbook. You can PM me here or (probably better) e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks, SLT.

Uncle Silly
11-07-2007, 00:01

well, he's at least filthy!!

Pedaling Fool
08-07-2010, 13:46
Any one have problems getting on Trailplace or is it just me?

daddytwosticks
08-07-2010, 14:09
John...had problems yesterday afternoon too...:)

Binjali
08-07-2010, 15:18
I tried logging in last night (8/6/10) and this morning from two different servers (in case my job decided Trailplace was a bad site) and had no luck. They seem to be down for some reason.

Wolf - 23000
08-07-2010, 16:41
No, I'm serious.

What value does a 2005 forum on "what 20 degree sleeping bag should I buy?"
Especially when the same question gets asked multiple times in 2006 and 2007. People don't search old forums. They just reask the question.

max patch,

I agree with you but I have people asking me ALL THE TIME what I was carrying YEARS ago. Just the other day ricb asked me how much food I was carrying on a 1997 PCT thru-hike - 13 years ago.

Some people find this stuff interesting. I don't know why and I agree with you but some people do.

Wolf

QuarterPounder
08-07-2010, 18:02
I tried logging in last night (8/6/10) and this morning from two different servers (in case my job decided Trailplace was a bad site) and had no luck. They seem to be down for some reason.

I haven't been able to pull up the site either... for 2 days.

There is definitely a problem.

LIhikers
08-07-2010, 19:35
I haven't been able to pull up the site either... for 2 days.

There is definitely a problem.

Same here.

DapperD
08-07-2010, 19:41
There probably updating their software or the site. Let's not panic people:D.

Bearpaw
08-07-2010, 22:22
I thought Trailsplat went under about a year or so ago. Goes to show how much time I spend on cybertrails...

Hopefully, once the intensity of summer heat dies down, I'll be spending even less time there.:banana

sheepdog
08-07-2010, 22:35
I say panic!!!

panic now while there is still time:eek::eek:

QuarterPounder
08-08-2010, 06:46

I say panic!!!

panic now while there is still time:eek::eek:

If no one had mentioned they were having trouble; I might panic cuz I'd think I had yet "another" computer problem... Whew!

Bob McCaw
08-08-2010, 07:15
I got word a couple of days ago that the site had been hacked and was posing a danger to the server.

I have been working with my service provider and hope to have the problem resolved by this evening.

I will post here when the problem is fixed.

Panzer1
08-08-2010, 14:33
I got word a couple of days ago that the site had been hacked and was posing a danger to the server.

bummer, I wish you good luck.

Panzer

10-K
08-08-2010, 15:49
I thought Trailsplat went under about a year or so ago. Goes to show how much time I spend on cybertrails...

Hopefully, once the intensity of summer heat dies down, I'll be spending even less time there.:banana

What's cool is that since we moved to Erwin 3 weeks ago I've hiked close to 90 miles just on day hikes.

Now I can be a hiker *and* be home in time to cyber hike too.

Bearpaw
08-08-2010, 15:56
What's cool is that since we moved to Erwin 3 weeks ago I've hiked close to 90 miles just on day hikes.

Now I can be a hiker *and* be home in time to cyber hike too.

Sounds great. We just moved to Ooltewah near Chattanooga 2 weeks ago ourselves.

So far, I'm only walking either early morning or late evening, no more than 2-3 miles. It's been pretty nasty hot.

TrailSquirrel
08-08-2010, 16:58
[QUOTE=Bearpaw;1038271Trailsplat[/QUOTE]

A little harsh?

Bearpaw
08-08-2010, 17:00
A little harsh?

A little harsh was when Wingfoot ran that show. I've had no interest in visiting since.

Two Speed
08-08-2010, 17:27
Eh, TrailSplat is no worse than WhineBlaze.

sheepdog
08-08-2010, 18:30
......................................:laugh:

sheepdog
08-08-2010, 18:37
I thought we were on lock down for a minute

TIDE-HSV
08-09-2010, 00:47
Sounds great. We just moved to Ooltewah near Chattanooga 2 weeks ago ourselves.

So far, I'm only walking either early morning or late evening, no more than 2-3 miles. It's been pretty nasty hot.

You're not working at the Nashville REI any more?

Bearpaw
08-09-2010, 12:10
You're not working at the Nashville REI any more?

I quit there after Memorial Day weekend.

Bob McCaw
08-09-2010, 12:24
The Trailplace forums are readable again, although I'm have to fix some files that were hacked and it may be a day or two before everything is fully functional. I'm working on getting the pictures and whatnot going as well.

Thank you for your patience.

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2010, 15:58
What Happened to Trailplace?

I cant get there from here, as if the site is down.

double d
08-12-2010, 18:10

I have been working with my service provider and hope to have the problem resolved by this evening.

I will post here when the problem is fixed.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened Bob, as trailplace is a wonderful webpage devoted to the AT. Good luck getting it back online.

DapperD
09-14-2011, 20:30
I thought Trailsplat went under about a year or so ago.It doesn't appear to have ever really thrived after Wingfoot left. I don't know why, because the new site itself is decent in my opinion, but for some reason it just doesn't appear to have caught on too well:-?.

Chaco Taco
09-14-2011, 22:30
a one year BUMP eh?