PDA

View Full Version : Novice Questions

Chappy
11-28-2003, 04:29
Who are Ridge Runners and what do they do?

What are yellow blazes?

Thanks.

hacksaw
11-28-2003, 04:45
Who are Ridge Runners and what do they do?

What are yellow blazes?

Thanks.
Ridgerunners-Used to be what bootleggers were called down here in the N. Ga. hills, but..........

They are the folks hired by ATC or various State AT Clubs who hike the trail in their area of responsibility basically checking on hikers, policing (picking up trash type policing, not law inforcing...at least not in an official capacity) the trail, fire rings, shelters, campsites, etc., giving aid and/or assistance to hikers and most importantly,IMO, teaching LNT principles. Probably lots of other stuff I haven't mentioned, too. Valuable trail asset and very much admired and appreciated by this old hiker trash.

Yellow blazing- Ya' know those yellow lines painted down the middle of the highway? Well, if you're riding down the highway from one place on the trail to the next you're yellow blazeing.

Chappy
11-28-2003, 05:30
Thanks, Hacksaw. I guess if I'm hiking then yellow blazing is not the way to go.

Youngblood
11-28-2003, 09:17
Yellow blazing- Ya' know those yellow lines painted down the middle of the highway? Well, if you're riding down the highway from one place on the trail to the next you're yellow blazeing.

Question for ya, when I am hiking the parts of the 'yellow blazed' Bartram Trail in North Carolina that shares the trailway with the 'white blazed' Appalachian Trail, am I not 'yellow blazing'. (Just an attempt for a little humor folks!) Heck, when I hike the Bartram Trail I always tell people I am 'yellow blazing' it.

Youngblood

Lone Wolf
11-28-2003, 11:23
I hike on the yellow-blazed Iron Mtn. Trail here in Damascus quite a bit. It also allows bicycles and motorcycles.

jlb2012
11-28-2003, 15:37
I bet the motorcycles go over great with the horse riders

Lone Wolf
11-28-2003, 16:27
Horses aren't allowed on it.

jlb2012
11-28-2003, 19:36
I thought horses were allowed on some parts of the Iron Mtn Tr. - for example from Damascus to Skulls Gap - I agree Damascus to the Tennessee line is hikers only. Is this a recent change not covered by the Molloy Mt. Rogers book?

EarlyRiser
12-01-2003, 18:19
old rail grades also tend to be blazed in yellow, which is why i get to yellow blaze to school every morning and still feel like im on the trail

Peaks
12-02-2003, 09:59
In the White Mountains, the AT is blazed in White. Trails that connect with the AT are blue blazed. Trails that connect with blue blazed trails, but not the AT are yellow blazed.