PDA

View Full Version : MAG-LITE Conversion to LED

Dakota Dan
11-06-2007, 23:32
What I'm looking into is converting my maglite, the one with 2 AA batteries, to an LED. Saw the LED lamp at Bass Pro. Has anyone done this? I'm curious about the burn time, with the regular bulb it gets around 12 hrs non-stop, should be 3 or more times this. Just not sure. Also, how bout the brightness, trail walking at night? I looked at the LED that you use and it seems you can't really focus the beam. Can it be used as a candle, like the standard bulb one? The sales people were zero help, maybe someone here at WB has tried it.

take-a-knee
11-06-2007, 23:38
I haven't found mini mags to be waterproof, I wouldn't spend the money for it. Just buy a Princeton Tec that already has the LED, it won't leak.

Dakota Dan
11-06-2007, 23:49
I haven't found mini mags to be waterproof, I wouldn't spend the money for it. Just buy a Princeton Tec that already has the LED, it won't leak.

I have several of the 2-AA Mag-lites and have never had one to leak. I do keep the O-Rings lubed. These are very dependable lights. Nothing against any of the other lights out there, I just didn't see the need to buy something else. I also would like to stick with AA battery stuff instead of having an assortment of batteries to have on hand. I understand a lot of the LED headlamps have AAA batteries. Probably should check into a 2-AA LED headlamp and take the Mag-lite as a backup. I really like the idea of a headlamp, I do have a Petzl Duo with 5 LEDs and 4 AA batteries, just too heavy for a thru.

Uncle Silly
11-06-2007, 23:51
Try it and see! You might want to use multiple LEDs instead of a single (it'll be brighter that way).

Seems like beam-focusing on a Mag-Lite is a function of turning the lens housing. This moves the lens (or maybe the bulb, not sure) and the change in distance between lens and bulb is what changes the light thrown. Now, the principle should stay the same if you swap the bulb for an LED, although you'll have to experiment with bulb placement ("calibrate" the thing) to figure out where the focusing works best.

Sounds like a nifty project. Go for it!

Dakota Dan
11-06-2007, 23:51
I still would like feedback on the LED conversion of the Mag-lite, if its a good thing, then I'll probably do it.

Dakota Dan
11-06-2007, 23:55
Try it and see! You might want to use multiple LEDs instead of a single (it'll be brighter that way).

Seems like beam-focusing on a Mag-Lite is a function of turning the lens housing. This moves the lens (or maybe the bulb, not sure) and the change in distance between lens and bulb is what changes the light thrown. Now, the principle should stay the same if you swap the bulb for an LED, although you'll have to experiment with bulb placement ("calibrate" the thing) to figure out where the focusing works best.

Sounds like a nifty project. Go for it!

I'm thinking the LED unit had 2 or 3 LED's. I was trying to see if anyone had experience with these converted lights. Looking for pros and cons of the converted mag-lite.

Rain Man
11-07-2007, 00:03
I'm thinking the LED unit had 2 or 3 LED's. I was trying to see if anyone had experience with these converted lights. Looking for pros and cons of the converted mag-lite.

I converted one of my 2-AA Maglights to LED. Got the conversion kit at REI, as I recall. Much brighter than the standard old bulb. But I can't say anything about battery life, as I haven't run the batteries down yet. I keep the Maglight the glove compartment of my truck; don't use it for hiking.

It does have 3 LED "bulbs," for what that's worth.

One more thing, it costs way too much. More than the Maglight itself, I think.

Rain:sunMan

Uncle Silly
11-07-2007, 00:05

I think I misunderstood. You found a product that "converts" your Mag-Lite from bulb to LED? I assume this is essentially a replacement bulb, buy it, unscrew old bulb, screw in new LED package?

I thought you were talking about getting some LEDs and wiring them in yourself. A DIY conversion wouldn't be difficult to pull off.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 00:19
I think I misunderstood. You found a product that "converts" your Mag-Lite from bulb to LED? ...

Yea, I saw the deal at Bass Pro, it was pretty expensive. But I shouldn't have to worry about bulbs again if it works. I going to look for a good 2-AA LED head-lamp and maybe carry the Mag-lite as a backup, with or w/out the LED's. I'd rather have a 2-AA LED headlight than a 3-AAA one. Might be hard to find a good one though.

Grinder
11-07-2007, 12:21
I have the maglite conversion of which you speak. I bought both the original mag lite and the LED conversion kit from WalMart.

Installation is a snap. unscrew the lens, remove the incandescent bulb, insert the leds and screw on the lens

The LED light lasts "forever" in round numbers. The tone of the light emitted is different, kind of bluish. The unit has three LED's (IIRC) . You cannot focus the beam like you can the original maglite.

My original maglite was good for maybe a week of going to bed and reading for a while, going for a night pee, etc. The LED version shows no sign of wearing out the batteries.

Hope this Helps
Tom

faarside
11-07-2007, 13:40
What I'm looking into is converting my maglite, the one with 2 AA batteries, to an LED. Saw the LED lamp at Bass Pro. Has anyone done this? I'm curious about the burn time, with the regular bulb it gets around 12 hrs non-stop, should be 3 or more times this. Just not sure. Also, how bout the brightness, trail walking at night? I looked at the LED that you use and it seems you can't really focus the beam. Can it be used as a candle, like the standard bulb one? The sales people were zero help, maybe someone here at WB has tried it.

I converted all of my HOME Maglites to LED, and have not regretted it. I have yet to replace batteries after months of use! All of my Maglites "convert" to a candle by un-screwing and removing the focus/lens head , exposing the bulb/LED.

I would NOT; however, use a Maglite on the Trail. My personal preference is a Princeton TEC Attitude, 4-AAA, 3-LED light (Campmor Item#55871). This is waterproof, relatively light, and I also use it as a head light by inserting it into a NiteIze Mini Flashlight Headband (Campmor Item#80393).

Hope this helps... Happy Trails!

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 18:05
I have the maglite conversion of which you speak. I bought both the original mag lite and the LED conversion kit from WalMart.
.....Tom

Thanks for the info, the last time I was in Wal-Mart they didn't have such. I just called the super store and they now have it for just unde $9. Heading that way asap to get one. Will let all know how it does. Thanks again.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 18:08
I converted all of my HOME Maglites to LED, and have not regretted it. I have yet to replace batteries after months of use! All of my Maglites "convert" to a candle by un-screwing and removing the focus/lens head , exposing the bulb/LED.

I would NOT; however, use a Maglite on the Trail. My personal preference is a Princeton TEC Attitude, 4-AAA, 3-LED light (Campmor Item#55871). This is waterproof, relatively light, and I also use it as a head light by inserting it into a NiteIze Mini Flashlight Headband (Campmor Item#80393).

Hope this helps... Happy Trails!

thanks for the input. However, I'm trying to stay away from AAA battery stuff, the AA's seem to last longer and are easier to find along the trail.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2007, 18:22
For years, minimags were the standard backpacker's flashlight(along with some Mallory's)and we'd often burn out a tiny bulb in the dark on some trail and fumble, cursing, trying to replace it. The LED upgrade is an improvement on the light quality of a minimag but, with so many great LEDs out there now, an unnecessary one. As teblum said, you cannot focus the upgrade although I still think the waterproofness is as good.

Check out the full line of Coast LED flashlights, they are bright and compact with good on/off switches.

Mags
11-07-2007, 19:41
To make a MAG-lite, take away my burger and beers.

Sorry..could not resist. :D

peakbagger
11-07-2007, 20:04
I bought one of the conversions awhile back and recently bought one of the new Mag lights that comes standard with LED. The factory version puts out a lot more light than the conversion, despite the conversion having more bulbs. Porbably a higher wattage LED

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 20:35
I bought one of the conversions awhile back and recently bought one of the new Mag lights that comes standard with LED. The factory version puts out a lot more light than the conversion, despite the conversion having more bulbs. Porbably a higher wattage LED

Darn, I'm glad I read this before heading to Wal-mart. Where did you buy it, and how much was it? I went to the Mag-lite website, they say it also can be focused. With that and the extra wattage, I may have to spring for one. How is it to hike by?

Streamweaver
11-08-2007, 14:12
I bought the led upgrade for my 2aa mini mag and its great! It has 3 LEDs and is a sinch to install(it comes with a reflector als0).As for brightness its just about the same as the original bulb,but without that annoying dark circle in the middle and the beam is steadier.U cant really adjust the beam like you could before,its just basically on and off.I cant really say for sure about the battery life yet but I havnt changed the batteries since I installed the upgrade about 3 months ago and its still burning brite! Next I wouldnt mind installing the on/off button upgrade so I can use it with one hand.Dont buy the upgrade at any of the outfitters ,its just 5 bucks at Wally World.Its worth the money to me!

skar578
11-08-2007, 22:16
if you look in the niteize website, you will find that they have a new (different at least) conversion LED that is a 1 watt LUXON (i think) LED which is super bright. I am looking in to one of those (with the IQ tailcap) or a coast lite. Any suggestions?

Hikerhead
11-08-2007, 22:37
I had one but the on/off button that you screw onto the back went belly up pretty quick. Except for that, I liked it.