PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Trail "End to End" guide

Mags
11-07-2007, 11:02
Latest and greatest version will be here as of July 2013.
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide

MOWGLI
11-07-2007, 11:09
I referred my buddy Jeff Brewer your way Mags. He's the President of the Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail, and is thinking about hiking the Colorado Trail in '09. He wrote me back to say that he had visited your website, and that your info was "very helpful."

Thanks for all your continued efforts to provide this great information to the hiking community.

Mags
11-07-2007, 11:13
Thanks for the kind words!

Now, I have to catchup with your friend from the AHS and upload the photos. :D

Teaching a Land Nav 101 course tonight. There are 13 people signed up. 10 are women.... Sometime it really is good to give back. ;)

Lyle
11-07-2007, 11:23
Thanks Mags.

I'm hoping/considering a CT thru next year. Will depend on getting a Leave from work, questionable, but worth a try!!!

Sly
11-07-2007, 11:46
Teaching a Land Nav 101 course tonight. There are 13 people signed up. 10 are women.... Sometime it really is good to give back. ;)

Wow... Too bad I live so far away. Best of luck.

PS Another great doc!

Mags
11-07-2007, 11:57
Thanks Mags.

I'm hoping/considering a CT thru next year. Will depend on getting a Leave from work, questionable, but worth a try!!!

It is a wonderful trail. A great to see Colorado for sure!

Lyle
11-07-2007, 12:30
Yeah, hiked about 100 miles of CDT (Silverton area to Wolf Creek Pass back in 1980. Actually hiked part of that with Gudy of CT fame. Have wanted to get back to that area ever since.

Sly
11-07-2007, 12:32
Gudy is aweome.

Cookerhiker
11-07-2007, 12:38
Mags, this is wonderful! Your site answered all of my basic questions. Now I'm tempted.....

Lyle
11-07-2007, 12:41
Gudy is aweome.

I agree Sly.

I was actually hiking with her on my birthday, so she made me a pan of sauted mushrooms for dinner. She is also an accomplished amature mycologist. Later that year was part of the Woman's Expedition to Annapurna - truely an amazingly accomplished person.

Mags
11-07-2007, 16:31
Actually hiked part of that with Gudy of CT fame. Have wanted to get back to that area ever since.

Now, THERE is a trail legend. A woman who had a dream of a trail and brought it to life.

And she still hikes!

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 14:05
Thanks Mags. Your trail guide was indispensable to me when I thru-hike the CT in 2006. My only addition that might help out is that Molas Lake Campground apparently can only take UPS packages, not USPS. I arived on a Saturday afternoon, and learned that the post office must still be holding my maildrop, since they won't deliver packages to the campground. No big deal. The only real snag for me was having to buy a new CT Guidebook in Silverton for the last 76 miles. But the hitch in and out were the easiest of the whole hike.

Again, thanks for your excellent and FREE guide to CT resupply. It is a real treasure.

Mags
11-19-2007, 14:19
Thanks Mags. Your trail guide was indispensable to me when I thru-hike the CT in 2006. My only addition that might help out is that Molas Lake Campground apparently can only take UPS packages, not USPS. I arived on a Saturday afternoon, and learned that the post office must still be holding my maildrop, since they won't deliver packages to the campground. No big deal. The only real snag for me was having to buy a new CT Guidebook in Silverton for the last 76 miles. But the hitch in and out were the easiest of the whole hike.

Again, thanks for your excellent and FREE guide to CT resupply. It is a real treasure.

Ooh! That is something new! That's the kind of feedback I need. Many, many, MANY Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the doc..and the trail itself. :)

Mags
11-19-2007, 14:39
..and the info is now updated. Thanks again! I gave you credit i nthe THANK YOU list. :)

CrumbSnatcher
05-11-2008, 20:23
any info on south platte townsite? secondary road 97

Mags
05-11-2008, 22:53
A ghost town essentially:
http://www.eatstayplay.com/html/co/a2101p029c2041.html

CrumbSnatcher
05-12-2008, 07:42
A ghost town essentially:
http://www.eatstayplay.com/html/co/a2101p029c2041.html
thanks mags, my girlfriend and i changed our plans from LT. to CT. I noticed last night i might need a new trailside databook. i had one laying around i believe its a 2nd edition 2002?

Mags
05-12-2008, 10:19
The second edition is not too far off from the 3rd edition, but for the price you are better off just buying the 3rd IMO.

Have a blast on the trail!

CrumbSnatcher
05-13-2008, 20:49
I was going to post it here...but I am too lazy to fix the formatting. :)

Anyway, I wrote a document about walking the Colorado Trail end to end .

The doc has information on Colorado Trail resupply, Colorado Trail thru-hiking, and other information useful for a person on a long hike of the Colorado Trail.

The current version was revised in November 2007.

You can read it at http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=30
nice site mags very helpful... are there any guide books like the AT. HANDBOOK that list services and prices in the towns.

Mags
05-13-2008, 22:34
nice site mags very helpful... are there any guide books like the AT. HANDBOOK that list services and prices in the towns.

Not that I know of.

My little doc is about it. :) It does have the basic info (this town has motels, groceries, etc) but not a comprehensive listing like the AT/PCT/CDT guidebooks.

freefall
06-25-2009, 15:42
Not that I know of.

My little doc is about it. :) It does have the basic info (this town has motels, groceries, etc) but not a comprehensive listing like the AT/PCT/CDT guidebooks.

Smells like an opportunity for someone.....

Mags
07-02-2009, 12:42
Smells like an opportunity for someone.....

..and that someone will not be me. ;)

The trail is only 500 miles.so who knows. I am looking at the Tahoe Rim Trail guidebook and that is over 200 pages for a 165 mile trail! :eek:

Mags
09-21-2009, 13:10
Hi all...

I made some fairly major updates to the my guide since this was last posted.

Added :

Town info. Though a very hard hitch, there were questions about Saguache and Gunnison. Added the info. Could provide a good bailout point or break up the section for hikers going at 10-15 MPD pace. Other town info has been added as well.
Canister info. Canister stoves are more popular. In Colorado, there are enough stores on the CT where they should be fairly easy to get (thanks to WB user Rick Armstrong for doing the heavy lifting on getting this info!)
Dogs - There is an alt route not far from the start/end of the CT in Waterton Canyon that allows dogs access. It is slightly shorter than the Waterton Canyon portion and is off a fairly major road. I have the directions to get to the TH along with a link to a rudimentary map provided by the CTF. Note how the Western Trail orgs recognize and encourage alt routes. ;)

SmokeHouse
09-21-2009, 13:18
Thanks for the info MAGS,,, very helpful.

blake
11-10-2009, 04:42
Thanks so much for this guide Mags. I recently thru-hiked the CT from Durango to Denver and really appreciated your guide. Definitely all you need as far as towns go. I lucked out and on the "notorious" hitch into Creede I was picked up within 15 minutes or so. Another fun side trip I took was to Aspen (where I decided to move after the trip to pursue my dream of being a ski bum). The hitch to Aspen over Independence Pass from Twin Lakes was really easy and there's a good grocery store in Aspen. Lodging is expensive of course though, but there's camping options. Anyway, awesome guide, thanks so much!!!

Deluxe
AT MEGA '07
PCT Mexico to Aqua Dulce (stress fracture) '09
CT NoBo '09

double d
11-10-2009, 10:37
Hiking guide looks great Mags, as a follow resident of that great state, thanks for putting the time and effort into making a great guide.

Graywolf
05-15-2010, 00:47
Hey Mags, I know this is an old thread. Just looked at your CT guide, and your gear list.. Man, I wished I was brave enough to get my weight down that low.. I did look at the tent you had listed, but i just cant seem to get away from having a floor. I even took alook at the tarp and ALMOST bought one. hehe...Nope, not me.. Ill stick with my tarp/tent. But i like your list.. I finally got my base weight down to just over 7 pounds. I think that is apretty good job, myself..

Good information. good work...Could be usefull in the near future..

Graywolf

Mags
11-02-2010, 11:20
Updated!
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-%e2%80%9cend-to-end%e2%80%9d-guide

McPick
11-02-2010, 14:46
Thinking about hiking the CT? Do NOT leave home without it!

This is a work of art (labor of love).

Sincerest appreciation, Mags, from those that knows and thems that will.

Happy skiing on the new boards, buddy.

McPick

See ya!

Grampsb
11-02-2010, 15:34
Great info. Thanks

Highway Man
11-10-2010, 19:31
Thanks a lot, Mags

I used your CT guide to plan my thru hike this year. It is simple and clear without too much deviations from what I've experienced on the trail. I printed out the town/resupply table doubles-sided on papers and carried it only. They're pretty handy for my night reading.

Hitches to the towns were almost all fabulous except for at Rt. 50 to Salida. I waited for nearly one hour with a burnt neck under the sun. Going into Creede at Spring Creek Pass was incredibly easy only to have waited less than 10 minutes. But it cost me more to stay in the motel and get shuttled back to the trail. I would make it to Lake City next time if I do it again.

I appreciate your excellent work.

Mags
11-11-2010, 00:07
Thanks for the kind words all...

All my docs are labors of love. I've been lucky over the years to see some cool things...and I believe in giving back. I also love to share, write and maybe make others enthusiastic over their own outdoor pursuits, too!

Hitching is hit or miss it seems! Spring Creek Pass is difficult for many people. Salida (due to all the MTBers) is usually easy. But, well, usally does not mean always! :sun

Who woulda thunk it... :)

As for skiing..IT IS SNOWING IN TOWN!!!! WINTER IS ALMOST HERE!!!! WOOT! WOOT!

mcskinney
02-15-2011, 13:25
Thanks Mags! This doc has been a great help. It stands as one of best single CT references online that I've found so far

P Mags "end to end" guide
trails illustrated maps
CT data book

Are all you need to plan a CT hike.

kgottshalk
02-20-2011, 09:26
It looks like both Yogi and Eric the black are working on ones.

Not that I know of.

Mags
02-20-2011, 19:05
It looks like both Yogi and Eric the black are working on ones.

I knew Yogi is..

Power to them. I like to KISS..in planning and how I do trails. (Or maybe I am just simple minded? :D)

I don't know Eric at all, but Yogi is a good friend of mine (I stayed at her house on the way back from the BMT).

The Colorado Trail is definitely more popular than years past, so I could see why people would want a comprehensive town guide.

Mags
04-13-2011, 21:16
Still no other guidebooks yet..but I did revise my KISS guide to the Colorado Trail. :D

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide (http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2)

Has a little more transport info and info on the Roxborough alt route (thanks given at the end of the doc!)

The 8th edition of the CT guidebook is now out and it is quite nice! Pick it up! Lots of expanded resupply info.
http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/NEW-Official-CT-Guidebook-8th-Edition-GUIDE8.htm

Mags
05-20-2011, 21:55
BUMP.

Revised it again.

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide

More info for the increasingly popular Durango start (directions to TH, long term parking, etc.), info about long term parking for a Denver start now that Waterton Canyon is closed and the whole article is better organized. Check it out. :) Thanks to the CTF for a Colorado gem!!!!

Mags
07-04-2011, 23:36
Another bump. Added some more alt routes, added some section hiking info. There is now (atually, as of Jan 2011) a shuttle from Leadville to Frisco on the Summit County transit system for $5. Makes section hiking easier! Also have info about a new map that could be used if you are interested in some of the alt routes and 14ers.

Check it out...

http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

Mags
01-23-2012, 21:08
Bump!

Updated to reflect new resources from Postholer.com and Erik the Black. The big change is the fact that Waterton Canyon will be open in time for thru-hiking season. Hurray!

Cookerhiker
01-23-2012, 23:02
Mags' guide helped us tremendously in planning last year's CT thruhike along with this WB thread on resupply: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?67659-Colorado-Trail-Trail-resupply-points

Crusinsusan
06-12-2013, 09:32
Hey Mags....thanks for this work! I just found it and starting to learn from ground zero. Thinking this is the trail for me this year, if I can figure a way to car hop it all the way (park.....hike; turn around; hike back to car...sleep, wake and drive to next section).

But you're first post in this thread says your end-to-end guide was updated in May, 2011...which threw this newbie, but I went to your site anyway, and find that your last update was March, 2013! Might want to change the first post here to that, as it makes it sooo much more appealing! (I know you post updates later in this thread, but still, some of us lazy ppl just check the first thread!)

Thanks again...your site may just be the ticket I need to a tickless (according to the CDC, Colorado has zero incidence of Lyme!), norovirus-free (I hope) hike!

Hot Flash
06-12-2013, 16:08
Thanks again...your site may just be the ticket I need to a tickless (according to the CDC, Colorado has zero incidence of Lyme!), norovirus-free (I hope) hike!

No Lyme disease doesn't mean there are no ticks.

Crusinsusan
06-12-2013, 19:20
Yep. No Lyme. Just Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This I know.

Mags
07-04-2013, 18:27
Just updated my little doc. Updated for July 2013. Uses CT Data book 5th edition data, new resupply info and Collegiate West alt route resupply info. Still yours to use for the princely sum of FREE. :) Thanks to the CTF for a great new databook AND a rocking trail.

cboyer1212
07-18-2014, 12:43
So I'm a little confused about the mt Princeton hot springs info, data book says it's 15 miles of trail of collegiate west, the general store at the hot springs says they are 3.5 miles from trail and the information in the end to end says it's right on trail, can anyone clear this info up for me, thanks!

bearcreek
07-18-2014, 13:30
It's right on the trail (eastern route)

Mags
07-18-2014, 20:19
You can't miss it. :) Right on the CT Collegiate East road walk. Grab a snack (or meal), admire the chalk cliffs and three miles or so later, the road walk is done.

Drybones
03-13-2015, 20:18
Paul...been reading your guide info for the CT...great job...many thanks.

MaryandMarc
07-16-2015, 15:54
I was having no luck contacting Raven's Rest in Lake City, he did not answer either the hostel phone or the cell number, but I did find helpful people at the Matterhorn Motel :
www.matterhornmotel.com/

She said they take UPS mail drops for hikers. The rate for a 2-queen room is $109.