PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker, Advice anyone?

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 12:48
I will be starting my NOBO thru-hike in spring of '09. I am currently 16 but will be 17 when I start, turing 18 in June on the trail (Sweet, huh?) I am currently 5'31/2" at 115# and growing slowly. This is my gear list minus clothing (couldn't find weights on them) with four days of food minus oatmeal for breakfast 3 of the 4 days. The total weight is 24#12oz. Any suggestions would be SUPER! And the weights are read as "lbs.-oz".

Pack ALPS Mountaineering Denali 5-4
Tent Sierra Designs Iota 1-man 3-season 3-12
Utensils Jetboil Jetset Utensil Set 0-1.4
Fry Pan Jetboil Fluxring Frypan 0-10
Companion Cup Jetboil 1 liter Companion Cup 0-8.7
Cooking System Jetboil Personal Cooking System 0-15
Titanium Cup MSR Titanium Cup 0-1.9
Platypus 3 Liter 0-4.5
Potatoes and Beef Mountain House 0-4.34
Lasagna Mountain House 0-3
Eggs and Bacon Mountain House 0-2.6
Chicken Stew Mountain House 0-4.8
Titanium Spork Snow Peak 0-.5
First-aid Adventure Medical Ultralight 0-9.5
Chair Crazy Creek Original 1-10
Towels MSR Packtowl Ultralight 0-2
Water Purifier System MSR Sweetwater Purifier 0-14
Replacement Cartridge MSR Sweetwater Cartridge ----

Shower Sea to Summit Pocket Shower 0-4.25
Soap Sea to Summit Pocket Soap ----

Compression sacks Granite Gear Air Compressor 0-7
Tent Repair Adventure Medical Tent Repair 0-4
Knife Leatherman C302 0-3.2
Multi-tool Gerber Compact Sport 0-6.6
Sleeping Mat Thermarest Pro-lite 4 1-8
Sleeping Bag The North Face Cat’s Meow 2-10
Sleeping Bag liner Sea to Summit Silk Liner 0-4.4
Headlamp Petzl Tikka XP 0-3
Headlamp Petzl Zipka Plus 0-2.3
Trekking Poles Black Diamond Trail 1-2
Binoculars Brunton Eterna 1-9

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 12:49
Make that 3 days of food.

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 12:53
Lose the following:

Chair Crazy Creek Original 1-10
Shower Sea to Summit Pocket Shower 0-4.25
Soap Sea to Summit Pocket Soap ----
Binoculars Brunton Eterna 1-9

Knife Leatherman C302 0-3.2
Multi-tool Gerber Compact Sport 0-6.6
PICK ONE.

Headlamp Petzl Tikka XP 0-3
Headlamp Petzl Zipka Plus 0-2.3
PICK ONE

Lilred
11-07-2007, 13:08
I agree with Cuffs, also, I wouldn't include the weight of my poles in my packweight. Grab some campsoap instead of all the soaps you have listed.

I'd consider losing the bag liner. I had one and I only ended up getting twisted up in it in my bag, sent it home after one week ymmv.

You also have a lot of cooking paraphenalia. I'd get rid of the frypan. I'd also ditch the spare water filter. Maybe put it in a bounce box?

What I don't see are Maps, handbook, journal and pen?, camera, rope for bear bagging.

Also, the spork, I've heard people say it makes a lousy spoon and a lousy fork. Just a spoon would be enough.

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:09
Semi-noted, I want the chair REALLY bad, because I have major problems the next day if I don't have a semi-soft chair. Knife and headlamp, understood. Hygeinic accessories, gotta have. And Binoculars, well, I'm a long-distance looker. I like to magnify the beauty of things.

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:12
Ok, I don't have weights for the things you mentioned though, I do have them in the arsenal. What's a soldier without his rifle, eh?

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 13:14
Try the small travel pack of baby wipes for cleaning the "important parts." They work really well and arent that heavy and dont require precious water!

As for the binocs... I do too much walking to be looking off that far, and most areas are tree covered... not much to see.

For a soft spot to sit, I cut a small rectangle off a CCF pad and use that for a sitter... very light and semi-comfy, and keeps the dirt off the behind.

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:17
CCF pad? Baby wipes, super!

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:19
Closed cell foam?

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 13:21
CCF, yes, closed cell. there a decent pad at walmart for <$6.00, so youre not hurting if you cut it up!

Where in AL are you? (Me too!)

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:23
Way down south, Hint: you can't go farther south, hah.

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 13:25
OH, LA!!

check out www.hikealabama.org

They just had one, so the next will be in the spring, but they offer backpacking workshops!

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:27
I can't find that pad at walmart.com

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 13:29
probably wont be online, but its in the camping/sporting goods section right next to the sleeping bags.

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 13:31
Ok, cool.

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 13:40
pad looks like this

http://www.rei.com/product/302.htm

Blissful
11-07-2007, 13:44
Semi-noted, I want the chair REALLY bad, because I have major problems the next day if I don't have a semi-soft chair.

Maybe a thermarest seat cushion would help instead. It will also cut down on bulk and what you tie to your pack. I took mine on my hike, loved it. Campmor sells it, I believe. it was my luxury item.

I think having a bag liner is a good idea to start. Yeah it can get twisted at times, be patient with it and it really comes in handy when those temps dip way low. My son (who was your age when he started) used his and was glad to have it. He also carried the cats meow - loved it.

You can usually get water cartridges at outfitters along the way. I don't imagine you will need to replace it much before Damascus, but someone may know that better than I.

All you need for your cook set is one lexan spoon and your jet boil set with fuel, and a swiss army knife or the like - tweezers and scissors on it is handy.

Dehydrated prepared meals are handy if you get to places late but expensive to carry the whole hike. Do a search on meals, etc and what hikers carry for food. There have been lots of suggestions. You can also buy as well along the way.

No need for a tent repair kit. Repairs can be made at outiftters if needed.

You will have to figure out weight of clothes.

Great that you are getting gear together now. Make sure to put some of your needed items on your Christmas wish list for your family! :)

Jim Adams
11-07-2007, 13:57
Semi-noted, I want the chair REALLY bad, because I have major problems the next day if I don't have a semi-soft chair. Knife and headlamp, understood. Hygeinic accessories, gotta have. And Binoculars, well, I'm a long-distance looker. I like to magnify the beauty of things.
The chair makes a BIG difference. If you really want it...take it. I used one on my 2002 thru hike and at the end of the day, an hour in the chair and you feel as though you haven't hiked yet. It is one of the best physical recovery items that I've found.
Soap, toothpaste and tooth brush are all you need for hygene.
You will be on top of ridges with a great view MAYBE once every 2, 3, 4 days. The rest of the time for the most part, you will be in woods and as the summer progresses it will get more dense. I would leave the binoculars home until New Hampshire.
Don't need the multi tool.
Don't need the Ti cup if you are taking the jetboil cup.
Sporks really do suck...take a large spoon and cut down the handle if needed.
Good luck and have fun,:D

geek

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 17:21
The companion Cup is actually for mates joining me at different sections, parents don't really welcome the fact of me walking across the country alone. So, I will be taking the Companion Cup and Titanium cup for drinks.Spork, dually noted.

mountain squid
11-07-2007, 18:26
Keep in mind that you are going on a long-distance 'hike', not a long-distance 'camp'. Several of the items you have listed would be nice if camping, but only end up weighing you down when you hike all day, every day. If you choose to carry some of these items (already identified by other repliers), you will likely be mailing them home sooner, rather than later. Scrutinize your gear (and listen to advice given) and only take that which you need...

If you plan on doing the Approach Trail, an extra day of food might be needed.

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun with the planning.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 18:34
Approach Trail? I suppose a trail leading to Springer.

mountain squid
11-07-2007, 18:52
That is exactly what it is. From Amicalola Falls SP it is approx 8.5 miles from Springer. Alternatively, you can have some one drop you off at Forest Service Road 42 trailhead. You have to hike 'South' for .9 mile to get to Springer and then you turn around and begin your journey North.

FS 42 is a dirt, gravel road, but passable for most vehicles (as long as you drive slow). It is about 6 miles to the trailhead.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 18:56
The companion Cup is actually for mates joining me at different sections, parents don't really welcome the fact of me walking across the country alone. So, I will be taking the Companion Cup and Titanium cup for drinks.Spork, dually noted.

Tell your friends to schlep their own cup.:)

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 19:03
Well, there's gonna be a LOT of family members and friends, and Some will bring they're own, but I am 100% that others are gonna bring a sleeping bag, tent, and clothes and think they're good.

By the way Skid, I want that cooking setup you have. What EXACTLY is it?

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 19:09
Well, if they dont, oh well, they'll have to go without, you shouldnt feel responsible for outfitting them on YOUR trip!

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 19:15
By the way Skid, I want that cooking setup you have. What EXACTLY is it?

Which one, Lol?

You'll have to be more specific than that. :p

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 20:41
Ahhhhh, the one in your Jumpcut.com videos, mainly the one showcasing freezer bag cooking.

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 20:45
AND, the whole deal with the folks coming along is that they're all city-slicker cry babies. Frankly, I don't know how I'm gonna get them to stop crying when they find out that there's no McDonalds on the trail every four miles. And I read somewhere about cooking ideas and I'm a BIG eater. Not really a fatty eater, but I figure I'll take two in case since the whole system fits inside a cup, if the extra is too much, I'll send it home with a mate.

Uncle Silly
11-07-2007, 20:53
And Binoculars, well, I'm a long-distance looker. I like to magnify the beauty of things.

As for the binocs... I do too much walking to be looking off that far, and most areas are tree covered... not much to see.

Gotta disagree with Cuffs here. A good lightweight binoc set is something I never bring on trail and always wish I had. It's not just for overlooks; you can use it to examine knots & burls high up in the trees, watch birds or other wildlife from camp, or view stars at night.

If you want it, and expect to use it, by all means carry it. Just make sure you use it, or be honest with yourself and send it home when you realize it's not worth carrying.

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 20:58
Ahhhhh, the one in your Jumpcut.com videos, mainly the one showcasing freezer bag cooking.

You coming to SORUCK? I'll have some kits with me, most likely.

You can glean most of the info from these threads if you want to have go at it yourself:

Turbo Tea-Lite (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22524)
TT2 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25729)
Coffeemaker/Cozy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381)
Chopped Heineken pot (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21663)
Magnetic windscreen (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28430)

If not, stay tuned. I'll may offer some kits in the near future.

Wow. Going from the totally tricked out JetBoil system to a beer can pot! Sure you're ready? ;)

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 21:27
I haven't bought the Jetboil yet, but the heinekin system is lighter.

Cuffs
11-07-2007, 22:05
Gotta disagree with Cuffs here. A good lightweight binoc set is something I never bring on trail and always wish I had.

I can agree with that US. But his binocs weigh in at 1# 9oz. To me, thats on the heavy side!

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 22:08
Yup, I figure I'll forget the Binocs, and just take a digital camera with decent zoom.

Bill Strickland
11-07-2007, 22:33
Have you looked at any of Tinman's cooking equipment? He has some real innovative stuff. try antigravitygear.com Jakebrake

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 22:50
Ok, actually, after seeing a few videos of the Jetboil...Ok, so it rocks like nothing else in this world! Definitely sticking with it.

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 22:52
Ok, actually, after seeing a few videos of the Jetboil...Ok, so it rocks like nothing else in this world! Definitely sticking with it.

That's kinda what I figured. :)

Uncle Silly
11-07-2007, 23:08
I can agree with that US. But his binocs weigh in at 1# 9oz. To me, thats on the heavy side!

Ah yes. I was thinking of the smaller models. If I'm gonna carry 2 lbs of glass it'll be my SLR and extra lenses!

Jarhead16
11-07-2007, 23:16
Ok, forgot to say, no, I will not be at Southern Ruck. Don't have my license yet, or my car for that matter.

Jarhead16
11-08-2007, 20:18
Well, the pack weight has gone down a considerable amount now, thanks and keep posting. Every idea helps.