PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Montrail!

Mags
11-07-2007, 16:41
I am a big fan of Montrail Hardrocks now. They worked for ~1000 miles on the CDT last year and have been my shoe of choice for most of my outdoor activities.

A recent pair started deliminating in the sole and falling into pieces.

Though the uppers were a little worn, the soles usually last longer than the uppers!

I called Montrail and they said to ship them back. (I had to buy another pair first, though).

A little over a week later, I received a brand new pair of pre-Columbia style Hardrocks!

So, a shout out to Montrail. A great shoe...and excellent cutstomer support.

I figure for replacement shoes, I owe them a plug. :)

A-Train
11-07-2007, 17:01
Good to hear. Was just talking about the quality of these shoes with some buddies. Have come to the consensus that they may have altered the construction of this shoe. I used to love them, as have many friends and people on the trail, and many folks seem to be having a problem with the fit. The biggest complaint seems to be the plastic behind the heel rubbing people raw. Saw many people with them on the PCT this summer and more people disliked them then liked. I tried using them from Warner Springs to Big Bear and the shoes tore me feet up-then again they probably weren't appropriate for the desert temps.

That being said I still wear a pair regularly for day hikes and knocking around. No sure I'd gamble with them on another long hike. Love my Vasque Blurs now.

Mags
11-07-2007, 17:43
Good to hear. Was just talking about the quality of these shoes with some buddies.

Speculation is that since Columbia took them over, things have changed.

We'll see. The pairs I have now are both pre-Columbia.

vaporjourney
11-07-2007, 17:53
how can you tell if they were post-Columbia? And when did Columbia buy them out?

2 pairs lasted me for my entire AT thru hike. I have to admit that breaking in the 2nd pair in NJ/NY over the rocks was pure torture, and possibly the low point on my hike. It's nice to know that they offer replacements for hikers. I was trying to call them and see, but didn't.

Footslogger
11-07-2007, 17:55
I second the Shout Out ...

Montrail replaced a shoe for me called the "Java" during my thru in 2003. They indicated to me that the shoe was not designed for something like a distance hike but that the failure (splitting of soles across the toe line) was below their quality standards for any shoe, regardless of it's use.

Gotta like a company that stands behind its products. Getting harder and harder to find these days ...

'Slogger

Mags
11-07-2007, 18:11
how can you tell if they were post-Columbia? And when did Columbia buy them out?

2 pairs lasted me for my entire AT thru hike. I have to admit that breaking in the 2nd pair in NJ/NY over the rocks was pure torture, and possibly the low point on my hike. It's nice to know that they offer replacements for hikers. I was trying to call them and see, but didn't.

The color scheme. The traditional blue and grey ones are pre-Columbia.

The mainly grey ones are Columbia (but still made/designed by Montrail).
http://www.climbers-shop.com/images/Hard%20Rock-small.jpg

As for replacements, well, I was hesitant to turn them in. But, as a friend pointed out to me, the soles wore out much quicker than normal.

For normal wear and tear, I would not expect replacements.

Anyway, I heard Columbia addressed the issues.

I'll still buy the Hardrocks as I love them!

Slimer
11-07-2007, 18:38
The Hardrock shoe is a super product. I bought a pair at MRO in Damascus and they lasted all the way to Glenncliff NH where I had another pair waiting for me at the post office.
Montrail Hardrocks are hard to beat for a trail shoe.