PDA

View Full Version : Talking to some boy scouts... what to say?

Bigby 2007
11-07-2007, 16:48
Hey gang.
So, my old boy scout troop, the group that got me into backpacking, has invited me back to talk about thru-hiking and backpacking prior to their overnighter to Sage's Ravine on the AT. I am contemplating what, besides the basic 20-questions of Thru-hiking, to talk to these kids about... Nothing like trying to keep the attention of a mob of rowdy boys.

Anyone done something like this? Suggestions? What works, what doesn't?

DISCLAIMER: Please refrain from using this as a venue to flame the BSA.

THANKS!
Bigby

Johnny Thunder
11-07-2007, 16:54
Off the top of my head...

Matthewski definitely has an interesting approach to teaching kids the art of "trashing". You might want to PM him (user ID: mweinstone).

Gear. Gear. Gear. Kids love gear. Plus, it's always easy to keep their attention with visuals. Pass things around...your stove...your lamp, etc. Set up the tent. Maybe show the basics of how to pack a pack. Pick volunteers out of the group to demonstrate.

I'll think about more for you.

The Weasel
11-07-2007, 16:58
From a Scoutmaster who has been on the Trail, too...

1) Keep it short: 20 min max. If they ask a lot of questions, go over. Otherwise don't.
2) Bring a pack, packed for thru hiking. Show each item and BRIEFLY why you chose it. This keeps interest more than yet another "adult talking".
3) Demonstrate something (use of hiking poles especially) quickly and let a few others try them.
4) Show how to weigh gear in ounces and tell why that matters.

Target your talk at 13-14 year olds. Below that, they won't understand as much; above that thinks they know it all already.

TW

Dances with Mice
11-07-2007, 16:59
Slide shows work well if you have one.

Show what you carried. How is it different than what you carried in your Scouting days. Did you have any equipment problems? They can relate to that.

What did you learn in Scouting that helped - map & compass?

What about your trip was different than the trips you took as a Scout?

What did you eat (boys can relate to food) - what was your worst meal? Best?

Any adventure stories? Bears, nearby lightening strikes, etc.

Jim Adams
11-07-2007, 17:01
I talked to my local BSA troop after my 13 month trip and the gear thing is the answer...they love playing and learning about gear.
OTOH the leaders had tons of questions.

geek

Creek Dancer
11-07-2007, 17:07
These are all great ideas. Try to include a funny or scary story about your experience. Keep your talk about the AT short. Keep talking until they stop asking questions.

SteveJ
11-07-2007, 18:16
I agree that it's about gear: bring your pack loaded as if it's an average day on the trail. Talk about your rationale for gear selection as you unpack your pack and show them what you carried. Explain why you chose that over other options. Talk about the things you started with that you quickly dumped because you decided you'd rather live without it than carry it.

Also - talk about food, your average day, the sheer number of calories needed to hike all day every day, and how you are able to carry enough food for this....

Have fun! "If it's not fun, it's not Scouting!"

AT-HITMAN2005
11-07-2007, 18:44
maybe you try walking into the presentation like its the end of a day on the trail and act like theyre not there at first. then just go through a quick routine of what you do when you get to camp. actually set up your tent set up your stove, maybe if your allowed light your stove. stuff like that.

shelterbuilder
11-07-2007, 19:02
I agree about the gear thing, and using it to set up "camp" is a great idea. I'm sure that they've heard of it, but don't forget to mention LNT.

Do these boys have ANY experience in the outdoors, or are they all newbies? That can change the tone of the talk.

Have fun with it!

gsingjane
11-07-2007, 19:52
One fun and funny thing we did with Girl Scouts was, in addition to having a sample pack and gear, having a no-no pack. I packed a huge bed pillow, a big floppy stuffed animal, a fragile GameBoy, a library book, firecrackers... each kid got to take something out of the pack and say why it was a BAD idea to bring it. It got them all laughing, that's for sure!

Jane in CT

Tin Man
11-07-2007, 20:02
Be careful with how you present the gear. Scout Troops generally have a packing list already and much of the gear. The resident adult Quartermaster, or whatever title they give the guy in charge of equipment, may take exception if you speak negatively about some of the older, read heavier, equipment choices which they may still use. If you know someone in the Troop, you may want to check out their current gear list and present your gear as a light weight alternative for long distance hiking. You don't want the boys complaining to the Quartermaster about his gear choices and asking for all new equipment.

Appalachian Tater
11-07-2007, 20:10
Tell them you're going to give them three facts about the A.T. or hiking and only two of them are true. They get to pick out the lie. That might be a way to start out to get their attention.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 20:23
Take along some LNT cards to pass around.

adamkrz
11-07-2007, 20:36
When are they going to Sages Ravine? It gets dark quick this time of year even more so there - also no fires allowed at that location,Make sure they have good warm bags,I'll be there in a couple of weeks with my wife.

Ghosthiker
11-07-2007, 21:57
Keep it positive. Showing the gear is a good idea. If you could be there before they arrive, you could have "camp" set up. Try and remember how it was when you were a scout and what would have/did excite you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 22:03
Some great ideas in this thread. With a group of kids, multiple approaches generally work best as something will hook almost every kid and variety keeps them from getting bored. Maybe start out with a brief statement about how you got involved in backpacking via scouting and ended up hiking over 2,000 miles as a result... and then talk about the AT for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then get out your gear and let them see what you use and how it works - an hands-on demo where the get to really look at and touch the gear (might be good to check with the scoutmaster for the reason mentioned by TinMan and certainly don't dis the older / heavier stuff). Finish up by asking the kids what they think Leave-No-Trace means and fill in the info-gaps in their knowledge based on the answers you get.

Bill Strickland
11-07-2007, 22:26
In talking to boy scouts, I always try to get three points across-weight, space, comfort. Jakebrake

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 23:05
Instead of talking to them about LNT, Leave No Trace.

Talk to them about LLT.......LEAVE LESS TRACE

Picking up and cleaning up others mess, as well as their own.

Thoughtful Owl
11-08-2007, 12:29
Good point Dakota Dan. On every outing (backpacking, camping, hiking etc) we always remind the scouts we want to leave the area better (cleaner) than we found it.

As a current Scoutmaster I like the idea of a loaded pack and "just coming in off the trail" for the night. With many boys today experiencing ADHD (more diag with it than truly have it) hands on is a must. Talking about weight, what you dumped after the first few days and why, trail meals etc. will hold their interest long past your inital visit/preentation.

Ghosthiker
11-08-2007, 12:35
Another little 'fun game" is to show them how to dig a cat hole and then let them practice squatting over it and dropping tootsie rolls to hit the hole.

gold bond
11-08-2007, 14:59
SAFETY...do not forget the safety issues. What to do if your lost. Basic first aid for trail related issues (blisters,cuts/scrapes, sprained ankle)

Be sure to start checking the weather about 5 days before leaving.

Layering to stay warm and how to adjust it as your hiking.Differant types of rain gear.Differant tyopes of sleeping bags.

Food...how many calories you may burn a day and what you will need to replenish.Differant types of stoves and gases and briefly how each works in it's own way.How each gas is effected by temps.Differant styles of cooking, freezer bag cooking,etc. Let them boil some water with one of the stoves and make a freezer bag meal and try it.

Water..how to filter or treat and how much you may need to drink.

Differance in packs, enternal vs. external.Day packs. Cubic inches and how it effects what type and how much they can carry.

Boots and socks and how to take care of them and keep them water proofed.

Monkeyboy
11-08-2007, 15:13
The thing that interests my troop the most is the use of different style equipment from camping.

IE - Cat stove versus propane, eating oatmeal out of the packet versus in a bowl, etc.....

They are also interested in everything you can do to cut weight.

Also the appeal of being on their own, such as having to pump/treat water, cat holes, etc....

And shelters always appeal to them, because the are like little cabins in the woods and they don't have to set up their tents all of the time.

Summit
11-15-2007, 14:40
Another little 'fun game" is to show them how to dig a cat hole and then let them practice squatting over it and dropping tootsie rolls to hit the hole."Tell," not "Show" you sicko! :p :D

Tin Man
11-15-2007, 15:43
Bigby, Have you presented to the scouts yet? What did you end up doing? How did it go?

Hurley
11-15-2007, 15:52
If you have any older, but still usable gear, defianetly give it to the quarter master. I got my first pack from my troop when I was 12. Old hunk of junk kelty from the late 80's. Never could get the smell it came with out of it.

Talk about how to make gear out of what they may already have at home. Let them know that they don't necessarily have to go out and spend tons of money on gear. Try showing them what not to bring. Those big rambo hunting knives, and game boys need to stay at home.

twosticks
11-16-2007, 11:07
I talked to my local BSA troop after my 13 month trip and the gear thing is the answer...they love playing and learning about gear.
OTOH the leaders had tons of questions.

geek

I am a den leader for the cub scouts and I can second this. I would bring along one really cool gadget. Whatever that is. We were going through the outdoorsman badge and I brought in my p;ack fully loaded. I also brought in my stove and my snowpeak giga power lantern. They loved it.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2007, 23:17
When you give your talk, pull two backpacks out and have two boys do a demo of how to pack and what not to bring. One pack is light and has the right equipment, the other is full of the wrong stuff and is heavy. The boys listen better when its one of their own doing the talking. You get to to do the fun part and the boys get to do the demos. Plan a little quiz at the end and the patrol with the highest score wins a first aid kit or something at the end of the night.

Good luck

Mark