PDA

View Full Version : N. GA AT info needed

BumpJumper
11-07-2007, 16:51
Myself and Bluegill are headed to maw's in Hiawassee, GA for Thanksgiving. I am wanting to do a hike in that area with an overnighter. Can anyone that knows this area good direct me/us to a nice area to go. I dont want anything real long.
This will be my first official AT hike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope I dont break an ankle!! I am used to flatlands and swamps.....:D

Lone Wolf
11-07-2007, 16:53
Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap. 15 miles.

Dances with Mice
11-07-2007, 17:09
Dicks Creek to the State Line & back. Here's how I've done it: First day hike from DC to Plumorchard Gap shelter - it's only about 3.5 miles, no need to start early. Camp at / near the shelter.

The next morning leave your gear at Plumorchard, take a water bottle and lunch then hike the 5'ish miles to Bly Gap and back. Grab your gear and return to Dicks Creek.

No shuttle, no major climbs, and it's a nice hike.

BumpJumper
11-07-2007, 20:37
Less miles than that. :eek:

Ghosthiker
11-07-2007, 21:49
Go t o parking lot on FS42, hike up and see the plaque. (You did say it was your first AT hike) Come back down and take 3+ mile hike to Three Forks. 1 maile farther is Long Creek Falls. Hike back to car the next day.

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 21:59
Less miles than that. :eek:

OK. Just hike into Plumorchard gap(8-9 miles roundtrip) and back out. Lots of good campsites, sweet water source, and the yellowjackets (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18556&catid=favorites)and rattlesnakes (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10467&catid=favorites)are pretty slow now with the colder weather.

bigmac_in
11-07-2007, 22:03
Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap is a good hike, but not the easiest 15 miles you'll ever hike. If your new to the game and looking for an easier hike of the same distance, I'd go from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi Gap. It's pretty easy hiking most of the way. Hike past Low Gap shelter and camp in the Poplar Stamp gap area, where there are some great campsites. There is some great scenery on this hike and the trail evolves from old logging road to all rock trail. You'll end up just a few miles from Hiawassee.

max patch
11-07-2007, 22:21
There are a bunch of short hikes you could do; here are 3 off the top of my head:

1. First time on the AT, so drive to the usfs42 parking lot. Dayhike up to Springer and see the start of the trail and the shelter. Hike back to your car and get your backpacks. Hike to the new Stover Creek Shelter and spend the night. 0.9 miles to Springer (and back), then a couple to the shelter.

2. Since you are already in Hiawasee, easy drive to Dicks Creek Gap on us76 and either hike north to Plumborchard Gap shelter OR south to Deep Gap Shelter. About 3.5 miles whatever you do. Check for water info.

3. An even easier version of the above would be to drive to Addis Gap via the fs road. You can camp at the old shelter location if you want. Couple miles north to Deep Gap shelter. Either camp there (check for water info) or camp at Addis Gap and make the hike to Deep Gap a day hike.

Skidsteer
11-07-2007, 22:39
You could also start at Unicoi, climb 1.3 miles to the top of Rocky mountain and camp. Nice grassy site up there and decent views in clear weather.

In the morning you could hike back down to Unicoi Gap or continue North, turn left on the road at Indian grave gap, follow the blue blazes and T/L on the Rocky Mountain trail. This will take you back to the A. T. @ .3 mile South of Rocky Mountain(you passed it on the way up)for a loop hike of about 6 miles. It also makes a nice dayhike.

BumpJumper
11-08-2007, 22:48
All of these sound good. Does anyone have info on a place called Long Falls? I think that is the name of it.

max patch
11-08-2007, 22:54
All of these sound good. Does anyone have info on a place called Long Falls? I think that is the name of it.

Long Creek Fall is about 1 mile N of the parking area at Three Forks or about 1 mile S of the cemetary.

If you park at Three Forks you could day hike 1 day a couple miles S to the new Stover Creek Shelter.

No problems with water at Three Forks or Long Creek Falls.

Not much water volume at the Falls now. Still a nice place to bisit.

Rain Man
11-08-2007, 23:23
Don't be bashful about asking the Georgia AT Club for suggestions too. They have a web site you can google for. Very helpful, up-to-the-minute folks. Nothing beats going to the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Consider staying at the lodge at Amicalola State Park and seeing the visitors' center, then hiking the approach trail and having someone pick you up at the FS 42 parking area just north of the summit of Springer. Or, stay at The Hike Inn there and do the same hike.

Rain:sunMan

bigmac_in
11-09-2007, 13:44
Long Creek Fall is about 1 mile N of the parking area at Three Forks or about 1 mile S of the cemetary.

If you park at Three Forks you could day hike 1 day a couple miles S to the new Stover Creek Shelter.

No problems with water at Three Forks or Long Creek Falls.

Not much water volume at the Falls now. Still a nice place to bisit.

This would be a good hike for you as well - pretty easy hiking and some good scenery. This might be your best bet.