PDA

View Full Version : Campmor Store on NJ Hwy 17 25miles south of the AT

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 21:12
I've been looking at the ALDHA companion and maps, etc while being on-line and thought this would be a good time to ask the following....

Has anyone been to their store?

If so, can you get some good in-store deals?

What would be the prospects of catching a lift to and from the store off the AT, where it crosses Hwy 17 in NJ, somewhere near the "Lemon Squeezer"? I checked the map and it figured to be about 25 miles from the trail.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2007, 21:17
I've been looking at the ALDHA companion and maps, etc while being on-line and thought this would be a good time to ask the following....

What would be the prospects of catching a lift to and from the store off the AT, where it crosses Hwy 17 in NJ, somewhere near the "Lemon Squeezer"? I checked the map and it figured to be about 25 miles from the trail.

been there a few times. awesome place. no pesky salespeople trying to sell you s**t. i buy most of my gear from them. don't know about hitching there or in store deals. their prices are great anyway

MOWGLI
11-07-2007, 21:23

I have been there many many times. I hauled a several thru-hikers there in 2001 from the Vernon Hostel.

IMO, unless you needed something specific, it makes no sense to try and get a ride there. Tuxedo, NY is very hitchhiker unfriendly, and HWY 17 in NJ is not a road to hitch on.

If you really NEED something, Campmor will ship it to you.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 21:24
... i buy most of my gear from them. don't know about hitching there or in store deals. their prices are great anyway

Me too, REI runs a close second, only because I'm close.

Since I started this thread I called the 800-campmor number and asked some questions about any in-store deals. They do have specials and clearance stuff that won't show up in the book or on-line. May be worthwhile to stop in while hiking thru.

Tin Man
11-07-2007, 21:25
Agree with LW. The people who work there are very knowledgeable and helpful - not salesy. They also have a generous return policy. You may want to check their web specials and catalog specials before you arrive. I think you can order a catalog from their web site. I know one starts coming quarterly once you place an order.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 21:28
I have been there many many times. I hauled a several thru-hikers there in 2001 from the Vernon Hostel.

IMO, unless you needed something specific, it makes no sense to try and get a ride there. Tuxedo, NY is very hitchhiker unfriendly, and HWY 17 in NJ is not a road to hitch on.

I just got this post after my last reply to LWolf, I may have to arrange a pickup/return with someone nearby. Thanks MOWGLI

rafe
11-07-2007, 21:29
Never been there but have bought loads of stuff from them over the years. I'd like to visit the store some day... but unfortunately I have all the gear I need for now and the foreseeable future. :D

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 21:30
Agree with LW. The people who work there are very knowledgeable and helpful - not salesy. They also have a generous return policy. You may want to check their web specials and catalog specials before you arrive. I think you can order a catalog from their web site. I know one starts coming quarterly once you place an order.

Yea, thanks TM, I get a catalog and have bought stuff from them for many years by phone and www. They are good folks to deal with. I was just curious about their store.

Tin Man
11-07-2007, 21:35
Yea, thanks TM, I get a catalog and have bought stuff from them for many years by phone and www. They are good folks to deal with. I was just curious about their store.

It is large and fun place to shop and you could get caught up. As was suggested previously, on a thru-hike it may be easier to have something shipped to a mail drop instead of making the trip to the store.

Cookerhiker
11-07-2007, 21:41
I grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, the town adjacent to Paramus where Campmor is located. Until a year ago, I still had family in Ridgewood so I patronized Campmor every time I visited family. I echo all the kudos from everyone and agree with MOWGLI about the hitching situation.

IMO, the single best thing about the store is the tent room. I don't believe there's an outfitter anywhere with as many tents set up so you don't have to rely on photos and written descriptions.

One warning if you do find yourself up there: the store is closed on Sundays (Paramus blue laws).

rafe
11-07-2007, 21:46

And my experience with Campmor is that the stuff I ordered arrives in less than 48 hours, and rarely (if ever) back-ordered. They did mess up on a return once, requiring me to send the item back a second time. All in all, I'd still give them an A+.

mrc237
11-07-2007, 21:53
The Short-Line Bus may go by there. It runs S on Rt 17. Anyone know for sure? Used to take the SL bus to Red Apple Rest and hike in Harriman SP. Campmor is the best!!!! Been in bus. a long long time!

taildragger
11-07-2007, 21:58
Been there a few times, people laid it out for me (I was looking at a 3+ season convertible tent, they laid it out as "the hammerhead weighs more, has a different profile, but the material on the tub is much more stout than the Big Agnes Madhouse")

Frosty
11-07-2007, 23:47
It's one of the two best stores I've been in (the other being the Kittery Trading Post). (I'm sure there are other stores designed for outdoors people that I haven't been in.)

It has an interesting history about how the owner lost control of the store while attempting to make a chain. Only got it back after it was run into the ground. He sure built it back up fine. Wish he'd try again with the chain thing, though, and put one in NH.

A-Train
11-08-2007, 00:10
It's funny that there's an EMS right next door. Really no comparison

Toolshed
11-08-2007, 01:12
Don't go on Sundays. Blue Law - all closed. Makes Saturday a hellish day to shop. I prefer to go after work on a monday or tuesday. Great in-store deals!!!

Toolshed
11-08-2007, 01:13
It's funny that there's an EMS right next door. Really no comparison

As a former Brother of the Apron (Not that EMS), A Friend of mine runs the EMS next to Campmor. I think of the purists as hitting EMS. Everyone else is at Campmor.

stranger
11-08-2007, 03:25
I worked at that store for about 8 years, you can get some great deals that are instore only. They have closeouts which are basically returns that cannot be sold at retail because they are missing tags, used once, etc...

The store has dropped some of it's high end lines in recent years, but they still have more to look at they most stores in the country. You will not beat their prices, they buy too much, sell too much, and have little costs as there is only one store in the world. So from a price standpoint they can't be beat, on average, all year long.

The store is on the opposite side of routh 17, northbound side. I wouldn't bank on hitching. EMS is next to it and Ramsey Outdoor store is located 3 miles south of Campmor, another great store which has high end lines but less of a selection.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 06:45
another great store www.hiltonstentcity.com out of boston. i just bought some Columbia convertible pants for 38.50 as opposed to 55.00 at REI or Campmor. check em out.

TOW
11-08-2007, 06:45
Me too, REI runs a close second, only because I'm close.

Since I started this thread I called the 800-campmor number and asked some questions about any in-store deals. They do have specials and clearance stuff that won't show up in the book or on-line. May be worthwhile to stop in while hiking thru.
I wonder if there is a minimum that you have to buy from their instore deals?

rafe
11-08-2007, 09:36
I think of the purists as hitting EMS. Everyone else is at Campmor.

What kind of purist are you refering to? I wonder if anyone else remembers the original EMS store on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston? Now, that was a serious outfitter. Since turning into a chain, EMS has gone seriously downhill, IMO. But their return policy is great (as it is with REI.)

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 09:38
What kind of purist are you refering to? I wonder if anyone else remembers the original EMS store on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston? Now, that was a serious outfitter. Since turning into a chain, EMS has gone seriously downhill, IMO. But their return policy is great (as it is with REI.)

EMS sucks. the one in Manchester, VT is totally yuppie clothing

rafe
11-08-2007, 09:41

That's a bit unfair. Manchester VT is nothing but yuppie clothing. That plus a Friendlys and a Ben & Jerry stand. :rolleyes: No offense to Frank Sutton. (Is his place still in operation?)

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 09:43

There is an EMS directly next to Campmor on HWY 17 northbound. You can park in either lot and walk to both stores.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 09:43
That's a bit unfair. Manchester VT is nothing but yuppie clothing. That plus a Friendlys and a Ben & Jerry stand. :rolleyes: No offense to Frank Sutton. (Is his place still in operation?)

yes frank is still in bidness

ki0eh
11-08-2007, 09:55
There is an EMS directly next to Campmor on HWY 17 northbound. You can park in either lot and walk to both stores.

I thought the only reason that that particular EMS was there was to capture the folks who tried to go to Campmor on Sunday. :)

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 09:58

Not entirely true. I stopped in there a few months ago and bought a sleeping bag liner. I found the sales staff knowledgeable and competent and there was a lot more than just clothing.

Yes, I stayed at Suttons on my Long Trail hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205058).

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 09:59
I thought the only reason that that particular EMS was there was to capture the folks who tried to go to Campmor on Sunday. :)

It's probably also closed on Sunday.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 10:00

Practically EVERYTHING in Paramus is closed on Sunday - including EMS. Especially on Route 17. Restaurants and gas stations may be exceptions.

Johnny Thunder
11-08-2007, 11:11
Practically EVERYTHING in Paramus is closed on Sunday - including EMS. Especially on Route 17. Restaurants and gas stations may be exceptions.

I grew up in Ridgewood (Cookerhiker, we've talked about this before, right?) and could walk to the store in 10 minutes-flat.

To answer some questions -

The store is always closed on Sundays. EMS too. The whole of Bergen county shuts down on Sundays for cause of some blue law. If a store sells food, gas, or the Newspaper they are allowed to be open. Barnes and Noble (across the highway) used to be open but had the periodicals roped off so you could only buy the paper and magazines. Now, it's just closed.

A hitch would be damn near impossible. #1, NY 17 and NJ 17 are the same road but used for inherently different reasons. The NY Thru-way parrellels NY 17 so most traffic in the Harriman/Tuxedo area would be local and not heading the right direction through the (#2) 287/87/NY17/NJ17/208/NY Thruway interchange. Haha...good luck hitching through that. #3, as mentioned above, Tuxedo Park doesn't like you...Their police also don't like when smart-ass kids drive up there with their friends on prom night and ask them to check out their get-ups.

There's a TNF outlet in the whatever outlets about 15 miles norf of the NY17 crossing. It sucks. Don't go there unless you like buses of foreign NYC tourists and hot NJ mothers in tight pants. Ok, maybe you do want to go there.

There are no "minimums" for receiving in-store deals. I mean, I guess the minimum would be one. Ok...you're right...you must buy one in-store-deal item to receive the in-store deal.

While in Paramus you might enjoy some other retail-oriented day trips. Like, the new IKEA which is the size of Sweden. Also, Paramus Park mall where some guy wrote that song about that fountain. Don't worry...it's not even there anymore...had to make room for the Gap. Paramus Park was also where Tiffany filmed her "I think we're alone now" video. She also did Playboy. I've always been partial to Tiffany's diner on NJ 17 south just north of paramus in Mahwah. You can't miss it, it shines like a crazy diamond.

Campmor is fun for children of all ages. Their prices are cheap; however, they do have holes in their selection. Like, they'll have a whole crap-ton of North Face stuff on the cheap but no Patagonia/BlackDiamond/Etc. But if you don't need that specific minute little microcosmic item they will have a reasonable alternative at a reasonable price. Plus, the salespeople are cool.

For resupply there is a Stop and Shop across teh highway with liquor and beer. God, I miss Dirty JerZ.

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 11:47
Johnny, are you sure the blue laws are countywide? I thought it was a municipal thing. Countywide, blue laws could never pass because as a large populous county, Bergen-wide elections are influenced by big money which of course opposes blue laws. But NJ still gives local municipalities a fair amount of authority (which has survived court challenges) and Paramus continues to maintain its blue laws. Retail chains can't threaten to take their business elswhere in light of Paramus's strategic location along both Rts. 17 and 4. And big money can't influence local elections in a small municipality like Paramus.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 11:52
Johnny, are you sure the blue laws are countywide?

It's pretty much a Paramus thing. Ramsey Outdoor about 7 miles north on Rte 17 (southbound) is in Bergen County, and it's open on Sunday.

Mags
11-08-2007, 11:58
I've never been to Campmor itself..but man, the amount of stuff I've ordered from them over the years is incredible.

I've also turned other people onto Campmor is well. It is amazing the amount of peopel who have NOT heard of this place! Power of marketing vs. word of mouth I guess!
Best catalog too!

Johnny Thunder
11-08-2007, 12:10
Johnny, are you sure the blue laws are countywide? I thought it was a municipal thing. Countywide, blue laws could never pass because as a large populous county, Bergen-wide elections are influenced by big money which of course opposes blue laws. But NJ still gives local municipalities a fair amount of authority (which has survived court challenges) and Paramus continues to maintain its blue laws. Retail chains can't threaten to take their business elswhere in light of Paramus's strategic location along both Rts. 17 and 4. And big money can't influence local elections in a small municipality like Paramus.

You might be right...but, my understanding was that it was no longer an actual law on the books. In any event I know that stores in Downtown Ridgewood are (or were) closed on Sundays as recently as the summer of 2004.

Also, the Ramsey Outdoor is no longer located in Ramsey and is now on Rt 17 North 3 miles south of Campmor ( a few hundred yards south of where the parkway crosses). This is where Tony Soprano beat the crap out of a terminator.

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 12:15
You might be right...but, my understanding was that it was no longer an actual law on the books. In any event I know that stores in Downtown Ridgewood are (or were) closed on Sundays as recently as the summer of 2004.

Also, the Ramsey Outdoor is no longer located in Ramsey and is now on Rt 17 North 3 miles south of Campmor ( a few hundred yards south of where the parkway crosses). This is where Tony Soprano beat the crap out of a terminator.

Trust me, if there was no "actual law on the books," those stores would be open - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I didn't know about Ramsey Outdoor Store's move. They were still in their Ramsey location when I visited during the ATC conference in Mahwah last July.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 12:20

Johnny, they kept the old location in Ramsey when they opened the new location in Paramus. It was open this past summer during the ATC Biennial. ATC gave coupons to attendees in the registration packet.

If you are a fisherman, the Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus is the store for you. I bought my 10 weight flyrod there, and most of my saltwater plugs. Campmor has essentially no fishing department to speak of.

Johnny Thunder
11-08-2007, 12:24
Johnny, they kept the old location in Ramsey when they opened the new location in Paramus. It was open this past summer during the ATC Biennial. ATC gave coupons to attendees in the registration packet.

If you are a fisherman, the Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus is the store for you. I bought my 10 weight flyrod there, and most of my saltwater plugs. Campmor has essentially no fishing department to speak of.

Cooker/Mowgli - No WAY! I had no idea. I mean, if it's there, it's there. That's crazy. I had been told up and down by the guys in the Paramus store that the old one had closed. Hmmm...that's shady. Different owners?

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 12:26
Cooker/Mowgli - No WAY! I had no idea. I mean, if it's there, it's there. That's crazy. I had been told up and down by the guys in the Paramus store that the old one had closed. Hmmm...that's shady. Different owners?

http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/service/about.aspx

A-Train
11-08-2007, 14:45
Last time I was at Campmor was in April with my buddy trying to buy shoes for the PCT. The kid in the shoe dept. kept telling us we needed to go with a sturdy leather gore-tex boot, despite us telling him it was gonna be 100 degrees in the cali. desert. I should send that kid my border shot from Canada with my trail runners on foot!

I love making the pilgrimage out there, especially for their thorough book/map and video selection. Just wish they sold Westie!

ki0eh
11-08-2007, 16:11
Oops, my bad for assuming that EMS was open Sunday, sorry.

I love making the pilgrimage out there, especially for their thorough book/map and video selection.

Amen brother, kudos to Campmor for realizing that folks want to know where they can use their gear. I've hit those racks pretty hard on impulse buys, I can definitely not resist maps.

That seems a blind spot for many outfitters, I remember on a trip to upstate NY driving through Ithaca and stopping at a then-new EMS because I had some time and wanted to hit the Finger Lakes Trail (a spur of which lands at the end of the strip, about a mile from their door). At that time (understand it may have changed) they DID NOT SELL any of the FLT maps, despite having many for the Adirondacks and western National Parks in stock. Even after asking two levels of salespeople, they were nice but it still seemed like they would be much more interested in selling me something north of $300 with a TNF tag on it.

twosticks
11-08-2007, 17:57
I'm originally a jersey boy myself and went there regulary. Now that I'm out of state, I make it a point to head up there whenever I'm in town. It's just a cool store with cool people. My kids love it.

Toolshed
11-08-2007, 18:49
....I remember on a trip to upstate NY driving through Ithaca and stopping at a then-new EMS because I had some time and wanted to hit the Finger Lakes Trail (a spur of which lands at the end of the strip, about a mile from their door). At that time (understand it may have changed) they DID NOT SELL any of the FLT maps, despite having many for the Adirondacks and western National Parks in stock. Even after asking two levels of salespeople, they were nice but it still seemed like they would be much more interested in selling me something north of $300 with a TNF tag on it.

You are correct - That would have been around the later-mid-early 90's. It wasn't until around 96 or so that several EMS' started carrying the blue individual FLT maps and the booklet for the BHB. I think around 99-2000, there was a much better FLT guide printed that EMS started to carry.
Kudos to all those NY/PA old timersthat put the time in to hand draw that map series.

LIhikers
11-08-2007, 20:17
I'm like a kid in a candy store when we get to Campmor. As for in store deals, my wife always heads for the clearance racks first thing.