PDA

View Full Version : Winter morning proceedure

Programbo
11-07-2007, 21:30
Crawling out from under my covers in my cold room this morning (Heat is off,long story) I recalled all my winter backpacking trips and the various ways people dealt with first getting out of their warm toasty sleeping bags into that freezing air...How do all of you deal with this?...Lets assume you are in a shelter in your warm down bag and you awake in the cold (20 degrees or so) AM..How do you go about dressing and getting up and about?..Dress in your bag?...Sleep in your clothes?..Stay there til someone else builds a fire?

rafe
11-07-2007, 21:31
No big deal. Just do it quickly.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2007, 21:55
Well, first off I'm wearing a baselayer to start with, so I quickly sit up and put on my fleece top covered by a down jacket(which was last night's pillow). The down jacket really helps to keep me warm, and sitting up while quickly layering will keep the heat from the bag on your body and into the jacket. Then I pull on the rain/wind pants over my merino wool bottoms and then the Croc campshoes to get out of the tent and moving. With thick socks the Crocs are actually warmer than my frozen boots sitting nearby.

Often I'll be sleeping with my gloves so they are warm. This is the easy part, the hard part is packing up a frozen tent and getting everything stuffed into the pack, ready to shove off. At the last moment, warm feet are stuffed into cold boots and at the very last moment the down jacket and fleece top and pants are removed and stowed right before the pack is hoisted. Trading sitting heat for moving heat, etc.

This routine works for temps around zero degrees and above, anything lower and I'd upgrade to a more robust down jacket, say Feathered Friends Rock and Ice Parka. Goose down makes life much easier on a cold winter morning. Also, if the feet balk and already seem cold even before boot insertion, a Nalgene full of boiling water for breakfast can help thaw the boots and warm the feet. Feet and Hands, it's always about feet and hands.

shelterbuilder
11-07-2007, 22:04
I usually sleep in my base layer, with my socks on my chest (they dry out overnight and they're nice and warm), and my clothes folded up and placed under my head for a pillow (so they're warm, too - sort of). So, after laying there in my bag for ten minutes or so, I finally decide that it's time to throw the bag open and get dressed.:) If I remembered to bring the "boot stuff bag" along, my boots will come out of the bottom of my bag somewhat warmer than freezing:D - if I left it home, they'll be sitting near my head, laughing at me and daring me to jam warm toes into cold leather!:eek:

Farr Away
11-07-2007, 22:08
A friend of mine sleeps in a 'parka bag'. When he gets up, he just changes its configuration, so he can walk around in it. In a way, he never really gets out of his sleeping bag until after breakfast, etc.

take-a-knee
11-07-2007, 22:11
A friend of mine sleeps in a 'parka bag'. When he gets up, he just changes its configuration, so he can walk around in it. In a way, he never really gets out of his sleeping bag until after breakfast, etc.

He gets it. The Rock Wren rules!

Blissful
11-07-2007, 23:16
Recommend sleeping in a tent, it's much warmer to dress inside.

budforester
11-08-2007, 00:15
I love to wake up in my cold tent, with a grateful feeling that I am snug in a warm bag. I fire up my stove at arms length out the door; Everything was assembled and pre- measured last night. I make a 2X- size cup of coffee and lounge in my bag, sipping coffee as I watch the morning take shape. By the time that's done, I have usually worked up enough courage to jump into my clothes... usually. I sometimes sleep with or on top of a few things, to minimize the cold contacts. It's a chalenge, have fun. Side note: wet and cold is not fun.

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 00:28
I love to wake up in my cold tent, with a grateful feeling that I am snug in a warm bag. I fire up my stove at arms length out the door; Everything was assembled and pre- measured last night. I make a 2X- size cup of coffee and lounge in my bag as I watch the morning take shape. By the time that's done, I have usually worked up enough courage to jump into my clothes... usually. I sometimes sleep with or on top of a few things, to minimize the cold contacts. It's a chalenge, have fun. Side note: wet and cold is not fun.

This reminds me of Colin Fletcher's supposed morning routine where he recommended the exact same thing: Breakfast from bed. I've often thought of it but it never seems to happen since priming my stove requires a bit of distance initially from the tent door/vestibule. Having everything laid out the night before is also important, duh, but usually all food items are hung including sugar/honey/tea bags or dry milk. Pet peeve: can't stand mice running over stuff close to my head thru the night.

booney_1
11-08-2007, 12:05
If I'm using boots with removable liners, the liners are in the sleeping bag with me. Anytime it's below 30, and I have ordinary boots, I bring a big ziploc, put the boots in the ziploc and put them in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Even in the mid-30's I'll put the boots in a ziploc and kind of snug them up against my bag. It is really hard to get the toes warm when putting them into ice cold bricks!

taildragger
11-08-2007, 12:34
Put on top layer, throw pants into sleeping bag, let warm, slide 'em on. Sit up and start eating (I eat dry breakfasts most of the time). Now I'm good and warm, toss on coat, pack up, take off coat, get out of dodge.

Fiddleback
11-08-2007, 12:47
My sleep system consists of a soft and warm baselayer, insulated jacket and pants, and booties; no sleeping bag. I don't dress in the cold:) ...I do camp chores, have breakfast, do some packing, until it's more comfortable or the sun has made its appreance.

But then...my temp range is the mid-20s (for the hammock)...not winter weather.

FB

John B
11-08-2007, 13:47
What if you're sleeping in your dry clothes and have to put on yesterday's damp clothes? I'm assuming that changing into them is the absolute very last thing you do before hiking out? Even so, if temps are in the 30s and your clothes are damp, don't you run a high risk of hypothermia?

NICKTHEGREEK
11-08-2007, 13:49
Easiest way is to have to pee way worse than you have to stay warm

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 14:33
What if you're sleeping in your dry clothes and have to put on yesterday's damp clothes? I'm assuming that changing into them is the absolute very last thing you do before hiking out? Even so, if temps are in the 30s and your clothes are damp, don't you run a high risk of hypothermia?

In the wintertime, if yesterday's clothes are DAMP, then you did something wrong yesterday. You should only wear enough clothes while hiking to be comfortably COOL! If you're warm, you're sweating - not good. If you stopped for the night and your clothes were damp, one of your priorities in camp needs to be drying out your clothes - think small campfire here, and hang stuff up on the upwind side of the fire. (LNT be damned, if your clothes need drying - DRY THEM.)

Hypothermia can be a problem at 50* if you're losing heat faster than you're producing it. Ideally, loss and production are in balance. If you're hiking and you're COLD - something's very wrong. Stop and get warm - hot tea with lots of sugar or honey works well. Even hot water - something hot to warm your core.

Sorry to go off-topic.

mudhead
11-08-2007, 14:45
Easiest way is to have to pee way worse than you have to stay warm

Truth. Then have a conversation with yourself about what a brilliant plan this was...

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 14:54
The first move is always the toughest but I find once my body is busy doing things - dressing, stuffing sleeping bag, packing - I'm already in a routine and I've forgotten about lying in bed. Unlike many others, I eat (hot breakfast) as the last thing before leaving, that is after the stuffing, packing, pad rolling, etc. The only thing left after breakfast is visiting the privy then it's onward.

whitefoot_hp
11-08-2007, 15:14

if you do one of the following, you wont have this problem:

1.sleep in your hiking clothes.
2. sleep with your hiking clothes in your bag.
3. sleep with them in your pillow, or place them between your bag and sleep pad. surprisingly they dry this way.

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 15:46
if you do one of the following, you wont have this problem:

1.sleep in your hiking clothes.
2. sleep with your hiking clothes in your bag.
3. sleep with them in your pillow, or place them between your bag and sleep pad. surprisingly they dry this way.

I will sleep with my socks on my chest, and they will dry overnight, but if his clothes are truly damp, I'd hesitate to wear them to sleep in. Of course, I tend to sleep cold anyway....

Underneath you or as your pillow would work, but if he has sweated THAT much during the day, he's still got to ventilate himself more as he hikes. I've been out in 0* and hiked in my polypro base layer, wool pants and a wool button-up shirt...no hat, no gloves, sleeves unbuttoned and rolled up, shirt unbuttoned down to the waist. I'm cool, but not uncomfortable. BUT, when I stop, sleeves roll down, shirt gets buttoned, hat goes on, vest goes on - you get the picture. Ready to hike again? Reverse the process. Balance heat production and heat loss and he won't have damp clothes.

John B
11-08-2007, 15:58
I've hiked in temps in the low 40s and was damp from rain, not necessarily sweat. It was a day hike, though, so I didn't have to worry about the next day. That said, I've read several thru-hike journals and many have said that they were soaked in by rain and in cold/cool temps. So I'm assuming that they wouldn't risk putting on perhaps their only remaining set of dry clothes in the morning and instead would put back on damp clothes, which is why I wondered if doing so wouldn't risk hypothermia. I'll guess that it doesn't because hiking out would quickly generate warmth; still, I'd think that it would be very uncomfortable.

cowboy nichols
11-08-2007, 15:58
I love to wake up in my cold tent, with a grateful feeling that I am snug in a warm bag. I fire up my stove at arms length out the door; Everything was assembled and pre- measured last night. I make a 2X- size cup of coffee and lounge in my bag, sipping coffee as I watch the morning take shape. By the time that's done, I have usually worked up enough courage to jump into my clothes... usually. I sometimes sleep with or on top of a few things, to minimize the cold contacts. It's a chalenge, have fun. Side note: wet and cold is not fun.
ME TOO:banana GLAD TO SEE I'M NOT THE ONLY COFFEE IN BED PERSON.:banana :banana

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 16:10
I've hiked in temps in the low 40s and was damp from rain, not necessarily sweat. It was a day hike, though, so I didn't have to worry about the next day. That said, I've read several thru-hike journals and many have said that they were soaked in by rain and in cold/cool temps. So I'm assuming that they wouldn't risk putting on perhaps their only remaining set of dry clothes in the morning and instead would put back on damp clothes, which is why I wondered if doing so wouldn't risk hypothermia. I'll guess that it doesn't because hiking out would quickly generate warmth; still, I'd think that it would be very uncomfortable.

That's when a good rainsuit becomes a life saver! I take mine along even in the wintertime, because you can use it as an overlayer to stop the wind as well as the rain! But if my clothes did get wet, I'd find some way to get them dried out before morning - preferably not in my sleeping bag, but rather in front of a small fire that's protected from the weather.

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 16:21
In the wintertime, if yesterday's clothes are DAMP, then you did something wrong yesterday. You should only wear enough clothes while hiking to be comfortably COOL! If you're warm, you're sweating - not good. If you stopped for the night and your clothes were damp, one of your priorities in camp needs to be drying out your clothes - think small campfire here, and hang stuff up on the upwind side of the fire. (LNT be damned, if your clothes need drying - DRY THEM.)

Hypothermia can be a problem at 50* if you're losing heat faster than you're producing it. Ideally, loss and production are in balance. If you're hiking and you're COLD - something's very wrong. Stop and get warm - hot tea with lots of sugar or honey works well. Even hot water - something hot to warm your core.

Sorry to go off-topic.

It can be 34 degrees and raining or not even that, you could be hiking all day thru overhanging snow branches, and you will get wet. Your boots, socks, shorts, rain pants, rain jacket and most times what's underneath it. When you get to camp the main hiking layers will be saturated and nothing can be done about it, realistically. Shed 'em quick and luxuriate in the warm dry garments from the pack.

The next morning put on the cold wet garments and pump nylon, it's ALL RIGHT, the movement will thaw out frozen boots and chest hairs. The whole point of a gore-tex rain jacket, etc. is to cover previously wet t-shirts/thermal tops and retain vital heat on the move. Wet stuff starts out cold but with a jacket will stay wet but warm.

wrongway_08
11-08-2007, 16:32
For me its either I am the first one up and making noise getting breakfast made OR
I am the last one up and everyone is bugging me to get it together so we can start our day.
No in the middle.

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 16:36
For me its either I am the first one up and making noise getting breakfast made OR
I am the last one up and everyone is bugging me to get it together so we can start our day.
No in the middle.

The Cardinal Rule of the Humble Backpacker: When in a group of backpackers preparing to leave, NEVER BE THE FIRST ONE TO PUT ON YOUR PACK.

wrongway_08
11-08-2007, 16:44
:)

I didnt really answer the question, so:
I always wear my base layers to bed, then in the morning just get up and get going.

LastHonestFool
11-08-2007, 18:53
well to start, I always sleep in a base layer, and I always tent

soon as I get out of the bag, I do 20-30 pushups to get the blood pumping

throw on the pants, and the long sleeve shirt and the warm jacket

get the campfire going for those who aren't awake (if there's an existing fire ring) from the left over wood from the night before

get some food in my stomach to burn calories to stay warm :)

start breaking down camp

Two Speed
11-08-2007, 20:02
My cold weather morning routine really doesn't vary much from the way I do things in mild weather, with one or two exceptions.

Like a lot of the folks who've already posted I go to bed with my base layer on in cold weather.

If it's really cold* I'll skip the coffee and breakfast and just get going as fast as I can. I find that I warm up faster by getting going then hanging around in my sleeping bag trying to get warm swilling coffee.

Not that I'm above hanging out in the sack swilling coffee. Sometimes is a sin to miss the sun coming up, particularly on a cool, crisp morning.

* or I've been stupid and camped on the windy side of the ridge on a cold night :datz

soulrebel
11-08-2007, 20:14
I'm already wearing ALL of my clothes when I wake in the mornins, the hard part is stripping most of it all off to get ready to hike...(combination of the following: short sleeve t, vapor vest, long sleeve t, windjacket, puffvest, down sweater, rain jacket, bala, knit cap, gloves, vapr booties, long john bottoms, running shorts, wind pants, 3 pairs of socks)

eat in the bag, do some pushups, maybe start a fire, or "get going!"

or just sleep in til it warms up -wife

theunstrungharp
11-12-2007, 14:21
....Or you can do pushups while still IN the bag. :)

Marta
11-12-2007, 14:53
He gets it. The Rock Wren rules!

Parka/bag (for me, a Nunatak Raku)=less pain in the cold.

Jan LiteShoe
11-12-2007, 15:22
Crawling out from under my covers in my cold room this morning (Heat is off,long story) I recalled all my winter backpacking trips and the various ways people dealt with first getting out of their warm toasty sleeping bags into that freezing air...How do all of you deal with this?...Lets assume you are in a shelter in your warm down bag and you awake in the cold (20 degrees or so) AM..How do you go about dressing and getting up and about?..Dress in your bag?...Sleep in your clothes?..Stay there til someone else builds a fire?

I snivel.
:)

hurryinghoosier
11-12-2007, 15:32
I think some folks are pulling our leg. For those of you who just wake up because you are sleeping in your hiking clothers---what do you do when you get to camp at the end of that day when it has been raining? Do you sleep in your wet clothes. Or sleep and hike in your camp clothes?

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 15:34
When it's cold I pack my trash as quickly as possible and start hiking. I warm up after a bit and then I stop somewhere and have something to eat and maybe even make some coffee. Some days it's hard though to get out of that bag!

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 15:49
I think some folks are pulling our leg. For those of you who just wake up because you are sleeping in your hiking clothers---what do you do when you get to camp at the end of that day when it has been raining? Do you sleep in your wet clothes. Or sleep and hike in your camp clothes?

Starting your day in wet clothes is just part of the gig! If a person can make a whole thru-hike without starting their day in cold/wet clothes, then they have accomplished something!:D

Just Jim

canerunner
11-12-2007, 15:52
When it's cold I pack my trash as quickly as possible and start hiking. I warm up after a bit and then I stop somewhere and have something to eat and maybe even make some coffee.

If it's warmer and dry, I may cook something and make coffee. I don't like trying to cook and eat when I'm really cold unless I have a decent fire to warm myself by. Most places I have camped recently, that wasn't really possible.

When it's cold, or when it's windy, I like to get up and get moving right away. I'll pack my camp and get on down the trail quickly. As soon as I find a well protected place to sit in the sun (where applicable), I'll stop, break out the stove, and fix something warm.

I virtually always have to pee more than I need coffee. :D I just don't lounge around in my sleeping bag. I'm doing good to sleep until it's daylight most of the time.

JAK
11-12-2007, 16:37
Start with a morning swim and a buck naked cup of java. !!!

Really depends on temperature. What might be lots of fun at -10F can be totally deadly at -40F. Bring a thermometer, then reach out and grab it first thing, then plan your morning accordingly from inside your sleeping bag. If you have any poo, now would be a good time to fling it.

Wolf - 23000
11-12-2007, 22:57

Well 20 degrees is not that bad. It is cold but not bitterly cold but any way. I find filling my cooking pot with water the night before helps me get going. Regaurdless of how cold it gets, I set it on my stove to cook up a hot breakfast to get me go. I have to eat it right away because it doesn't take long before it turns ice cold. It helps me get going.

Wolf

Tinker
11-13-2007, 10:00
My most vivid experience was back in the '90s, sleeping at the Kinsman Shelter in New Hampshire. We woke to -15 degree temps (in Feb.) with wind blowing snow into the shelter. I was in my Stephenson bag with a built-in vapor barrier, so I was in my polypro long johns. I dragged my parka into the bag, warmed it up a bit, unzipped the bag and sat up, threw the parka on, and lay back down in the bag for a few minutes. Then I got up quickly, threw on my freezing cold pants and partially frozen boots (then I hadn't heard about the idea of putting boots into a stuffsack and keeping them in the foot of your sleeping bag).

When I tried to get my Whisperlight Stove unfolded, my fingers stuck to the metal legs. I had to blow on them to unfreeze them. It was COLD!!!

Summit
11-13-2007, 12:57
If it's bitter cold, I slip on my pants and jacket and get back in the sleeping bag for a few minutes after the privy call. Then I will start my coffee water going arm's length from the tent, turn my ground pad into a chair (ThermaRest Chair - awesome item BTW), and sit with my lower half in the sleeping bag in the tent. I fire up my pipe to go with my cup of coffee and really enjoy these first morning moments . . . nice and cozy with it freezing outside the tent . . . java going down good . . . pipe tobacco aroma blending with the coffee smell . . . ummmm boy!!! :)

Summit
11-13-2007, 13:03
Addendum to above:

IF IT'S WET/RAINING and/or MY CLOTHES ARE WET FROM YESTERDAY'S RAIN

After above coffee ritual, pack everything up except the tent of course. Lastly throw on the wet clothes and really start moving fast, packing the tent and hitting the trail to get the blood flowing good. Usually not that bad of an ordeal, and am warm quickly enough. In the packing process, I threw a breakfast bar in a handy pocket and have some gorp handy in my pack's top removable pouch. Once warmed from hiking, if hungry, I'll then eat a little while hiking, or take my first leg break to eat. ;)

dessertrat
11-13-2007, 13:37
This reminds me of Colin Fletcher's supposed morning routine where he recommended the exact same thing: Breakfast from bed. I've often thought of it but it never seems to happen since priming my stove requires a bit of distance initially from the tent door/vestibule. Having everything laid out the night before is also important, duh, but usually all food items are hung including sugar/honey/tea bags or dry milk. Pet peeve: can't stand mice running over stuff close to my head thru the night.

What's the coldest temperature you've seen a mouse in the winter?

quietly
11-17-2007, 22:49
eh i just don't like getting out of bed in the morning!! this makes the parka bag perfect for me, i don't have to :)

http://www.qrsparadigm.com/tunes/HPIM0422.jpg

quietly
11-17-2007, 22:59

Yep, best way to get out of bed is don't!

Tipi Walter
11-25-2007, 00:43
What's the coldest temperature you've seen a mouse in the winter?

I've seen mice sneaking around in some of the worst weather, ice storms, snow, they wait until I'm quiet and then start the chewing. On one winter trip I left the tent door open and woke up with a mouse running over my bag until I cornered him with my flashlight and tossed him out in the woods.

Hurley
11-25-2007, 00:56
Pushups, or jumping jacks. Just have to own it right when I get up. Then food. Green tea every morning too.

Dirtygaiters
11-25-2007, 01:58
My morning ritual on cold mornings? Sleep in until noon or so when it's not so nippy! :D When I'm actually backpacking with other people and have to get out of my sleeping bag in early morning, then I get food in me asap. Food is the most important part of my ritual. If I just spent 8 hours lying prostrate without eating, then there's no down jacket big enough to warm me up unless I have my interior furnace properly stoked.

This winter I'll be bringing more high loft clothes like the Integral Designs primaloft pants, hot socks, and a bigger, hooded down jacket. This may allow me to carry a smaller sleeping bag but the idea is that if I can wear half of my sleeping insulation on my body, then getting up in the middle of the night for a snack will be no problem and getting up on a cold morning will be a lot more pleasant.

take-a-knee
11-25-2007, 11:14
I agree with D Gaiters that eating is the first order. Of late I've been eating Mountain House granola first thing, it's tasty, just add water, 500 cal, no cooking. I crawl out of my parka bag (Rock Wren) only when I have too, get packed up, and walk until I'm warm again. Find a sheltered place to stop and then heat water for coffee/cocoa.

As for keeping your clothes dry, try not to sweat 'em up as has been mentioned, but if you get soaked you'll have to build a fire to dry them out. North country canoeists always carry a sizeable tarp (cook tarp) in addition to their tent so that they can cook, dry clothes, and do camp chores in the rain.

In true winter conditions, there is no substitute for a heated shelter, Titanium Goat makes a 2-man tipi and stove that weighs 6#.

Tipi Walter
11-25-2007, 11:31
I agree with D Gaiters that eating is the first order. Of late I've been eating Mountain House granola first thing, it's tasty, just add water, 500 cal, no cooking. I crawl out of my parka bag (Rock Wren) only when I have too, get packed up, and walk until I'm warm again. Find a sheltered place to stop and then heat water for coffee/cocoa.

As for keeping your clothes dry, try not to sweat 'em up as has been mentioned, but if you get soaked you'll have to build a fire to dry them out. North country canoeists always carry a sizeable tarp (cook tarp) in addition to their tent so that they can cook, dry clothes, and do camp chores in the rain.

In true winter conditions, there is no substitute for a heated shelter, Titanium Goat makes a 2-man tipi and stove that weighs 6#.

Do you have any real world experience with the Titanium Goat's tipi? I spent many years in a woodstove heated tipi(NOT backpackable)and look at the Goat and the Kirfaru with a sentimental eye . . .

take-a-knee
11-25-2007, 12:57
Do you have any real world experience with the Titanium Goat's tipi? I spent many years in a woodstove heated tipi(NOT backpackable)and look at the Goat and the Kirfaru with a sentimental eye . . .

No, I live in GA and really have no need of such a shelter. I've long wanted to do some backpack public land hunting out west and I've done a bit of reading on these as they look ideal for such a scenario. A poster at Rock's Hiking HQ named Woodswalker lives in New England and has extensively used both kifaru and Ti Goat stoves in his kifaru tipis, if you search that forum you can read his posts. Ti is a basement operation, basically copying the kifaru design, as such they've sized their tipis a little differently. I think the Vertex 6 with the carbon center pole and their small Ti stove looks like the ticket. The kifaru 4-man is a bit heavier.

take-a-knee
11-25-2007, 13:03
Tipi Walter, I should qualify my earlier post and say that I have extensively tried the concept of a heated tent, I spent two winters in the arctic infantry in Alaska. The squad tent and yukon stove we used weighed about eighty pounds, it was transported in an ahkio (sled). The canadians we trained with had simalar but lighter tents. When I first saw the Kifaru/Ti Goat stuff, I knew it was a good thing as long as the concept was executed properly, and, from what I've read, it is, though I have no personal experience with this new gear.

Tipi Walter
11-25-2007, 17:54
Tipi Walter, I should qualify my earlier post and say that I have extensively tried the concept of a heated tent, I spent two winters in the arctic infantry in Alaska. The squad tent and yukon stove we used weighed about eighty pounds, it was transported in an ahkio (sled). The canadians we trained with had simalar but lighter tents. When I first saw the Kifaru/Ti Goat stuff, I knew it was a good thing as long as the concept was executed properly, and, from what I've read, it is, though I have no personal experience with this new gear.

I think the heated tipi tents would make great National Forest winter basecamps where setting up a semi-permanent woodstove Tipi or wall tent would be impractical. The Goat would work just for winter, though, where a person could spend two weeks at one spot and then move to another two week spot. Using wood for fuel is a huge comfort incentive on long basecamps as you already well know. At these basecamps there could be long dayhikes and exploratory hikes, coming back to the Goat or the Kifaru at the end of the day to fire up the stove. Sounds good to me.

Drawbacks? Well, $700-$1000(with stove)for basically a tarp with a single pole. Burn holes in the silicone nylon. Ventilation and condensation(not a problem with the stove running). Ground water runoff with no floor. And if there's no snow, where to safely put the hot ashes on a daily basis.

I spent several winter trips in a tipi tent, a Chouinard Pyramid, and I gotta tell you, these babies were designed with snow in mind. Without a blanket of snow along the outer edges, these things can catch a mean gust and blow up like an umbrella. I spent one whole night on a high bald holding down the thing from shredding in a 40 mph wind storm. Just some thoughts.