PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza & AYCE on AT?

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 23:51
My nephew JR has asked me to find out where the best Pizza can be gotten on the AT.

I'd like to know the best AYCE places

Now, I enjoy Pizza as much as the next guy, but JR lives on the stuff. And I thought if I could find him some good Pizza along the trail I'll keep him from bailing on me.

It almost seems he is starting to get afraid as he sees me get more and more interested in doing this hike. I believe he's getting afraid he may have to start this hike for real. If we do start the hike and he does bail out, he'll live a tough life. Count on it.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 23:55
If he bails out. He'll get his "TRIPLE CROWN"

Flush2wice
11-08-2007, 00:13
This is just a suggestion- drop him off at Fontana dam and tell him you'll meet him at Newfound in 36 hours. It's like our local bear hunters. They turn the dogs loose on one side of the mountain and then drive around to the other side and wait. Meanwhile you can chill out in Gatlinburg or Cherokee.

Frosty
11-08-2007, 00:52
It almost seems he is starting to get afraid as he sees me get more and more interested in doing this hike. I believe he's getting afraid he may have to start this hike for real. If we do start the hike and he does bail out, he'll live a tough life. Count on it.Is it his idea to hike or your idea for him to hike? It isn't for everyone. If he doesn't want to hike, just respect that.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 03:00
In Erwin and Hampton, its Pizza Plus. Because its about the only place that delivers near the trail in Tennessee. I know the Erwin one will deliver to the Nolichucky trailheads. The Hampton one will deliver to the Hampton Blue blaze and Watauga Lake, but I don't know if they will deliver up into Dennis Cove. I have to ask Kincora about that.

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 04:22
If you all don't mind a drive off trail. Go into Johnson City & Kingsport TN.

Kingsport, TN has Italian Village & Raphael's - Owned by the same people. Pizza here is to die for. Italian Village you can listern to all the cooks curse each other in Italian.

Best cheap pizza - Italian Pizza Pub in Johnson City

Best staff - Crazy Tomato Johnson City TN - The guy that runs it is a bit of a player. Its a Italian/Greek place that come pretty close to Hooters. The one in Kingsport is more family orinated.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-08-2007, 07:42
i found the pizza in Pawling, New York to be my favorite. i'm not positive this is the right name of the town. Its the town where they let you stay at the pavilion in the park with the lake, outside the center of town, near the big oak on the trail. but the pizza was awesome, of course it could have been because i was on the trail for a couple days before that but who knows.

KG4FAM
11-08-2007, 10:19
I had some real good pizza at the Red Onion in Rangley, Me. Just tell him that it is the best and once he gets that far you might as well just head over to Katahdin real quick.

rafe
11-08-2007, 10:21
Elvio's in Woodstock, NH is pretty good.

Gray Blazer
11-08-2007, 10:41
Take the train into Manhattan and get some real pizza!!

Blissful
11-08-2007, 11:57
The best pizza I had was when we ordered out at Mohican Trail Center. So whatever the place was in NJ nearest to the trail center. Great stuff.

I don't recall eating at AYCE places except Ryans in TN a half hour from Hot Springs and Country Cookin in Daleville. A Chinese buffet also in Robbinsville but it wasn't that memorable.

Gray Blazer
11-08-2007, 12:26
I don't recall eating at AYCE places except Ryans in TN a half hour from Hot Springs

Prolly in Newport. There are some big (I'm talkin' BIG) people who eat there.:banana Hitch from Davenport Gap on I-40.

Moon Monster
11-08-2007, 12:32
Not AYCE, but my favorite was a place in Boiling Springs just off the white blazes. I think it was called Aniles. It's cheap enough to satisfy despite not being AYCE.

There are many other good places in PA, NY, and NJ--most are owned by transplants from the City, so they are legit. But, there are very few AYCE places of any description in the mid-Atlantic.

ki0eh
11-08-2007, 16:48
Not AYCE, but my favorite was a place in Boiling Springs just off the white blazes. I think it was called Aniles. It's cheap enough to satisfy despite not being AYCE.

Yes, it is Anile's.

To do better, take the train from Harpers Ferry to Chicago for Lou Malnati's. :D

paradoxb3
11-08-2007, 18:12
I have to agree with Frosty. While your original question was about pizza, I cant help but notice that you're suggesting that your nephew is unsure he even wants to go on a hike. I've given up trying to get some of my friends to hike with me -- it's just simply not their thing, and they wont do it. I just accept that, like they've come to accept that I'm *not* coming over to watch football with them. It's not my thing. If your nephew doesnt want to do it, then theres no amount of pizza, however delicious, thats gonna keep him going. You can just hope that maybe he'll discover he enjoys it after getting out there a while.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 18:17
You're not going to find any really good pizza at an AYCE joint. You almost always get what you pay for.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2007, 18:19
Everything But Anchovies on Allen St. just off the Trail still does an AYCE pizza buffet (with an enormous salad bar) every Monday night for around seven bucks.

The pizza is also very good at the new Ramunto's next to the Public Library, which not only has a big patio for outside eating, but they'll also be giving out free slices again next year to thru-hikers.

Hanover is a great pizza town!

Ron Haven
11-08-2007, 19:07
My nephew JR has asked me to find out where the best Pizza can be gotten on the AT.

I'd like to know the best AYCE places

Now, I enjoy Pizza as much as the next guy, but JR lives on the stuff. And I thought if I could find him some good Pizza along the trail I'll keep him from bailing on me.

It almost seems he is starting to get afraid as he sees me get more and more interested in doing this hike. I believe he's getting afraid he may have to start this hike for real. If we do start the hike and he does bail out, he'll live a tough life. Count on it.I enjoyed seeing all the hikers pig out at AYCE Prime Sirloin but it is about to open as a Cody's Roadhouse Chain bar and grill. http://www.codysoriginalroadhouse.com/come_on_in.asp I am not familar with this one.Franklin all seems to be exited.

Dakota Dan
11-08-2007, 22:56
Is it his idea to hike or your idea for him to hike? It isn't for everyone. If he doesn't want to hike, just respect that.

You must not have read some of my initial post. But, in summary, JR, has literally worried the crap out of me about taking him on a thru-hike when he got out of HS. I played along, hoping he'd get a girlfriend and forget about it. Well, here I am planning a thru-hike. He's also doing a lot of stuff to get ready too. But, if he's going to chicken out, I hope it's sooner rather than later. I will run him thru the ringer before we leave ASP.

Gray Blazer
11-09-2007, 13:23
Is it his idea to hike or your idea for him to hike? It isn't for everyone. If he doesn't want to hike, just respect that.

I'll hike for pizza........doh!

Marta
11-09-2007, 13:47
The BEST pizza when you're hiking is the one in front of you. There aren't many towns along the Trail where you can't get some sort of pizza.

Seriously...it depends on what you're used to. I thought a lot of the pizza places that other hikers raved about were pretty bad. Especially in NY, where they (the pizzas, not the hikers) were too greasy for me even when I was craving grease.

It all depends on where you are in your life. In Troutville, it took me supper and breakfast to eat one large Pizza Hut pizza, while young Snapshot ate three large pizzas in 24 hours. Your nephew should keep a notes so he can create "The Pizza Lover's Guide to the Appalachian Trail."

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 13:51
The BEST pizza when you're hiking is the one in front of you.

True statement.

Being a life long New Yorker and pizza aficionado , I don't have a high tolerance for lousy pizza. That being said, I gave up 11 years without red meat at the East Mountain Retreat Center in MA for some pepperoni pizza ordered from a local joint.

ScottP
11-10-2007, 17:40
best AYCE: Homeplace in catawba, VA

DavidNH
11-10-2007, 17:44
Everything But Anchovies on Allen St. just off the Trail still does an AYCE pizza buffet (with an enormous salad bar) every Monday night for around seven bucks.

The pizza is also very good at the new Ramunto's next to the Public Library, which not only has a big patio for outside eating, but they'll also be giving out free slices again next year to thru-hikers.

Hanover is a great pizza town!

I remember in 2006 there was a restaurant (I forget the name) on the south end of Main St. in Hanover that offered a free pizza slice and a free small drink to all AT thru hikers. Jack perhaps you know this place?

I would also make mention of a fine pizza place in Dalton, MA. Could be that I was just so hungry though!

David

MOWGLI
11-10-2007, 17:49
best AYCE: Homeplace in catawba, VA

Good call. Missed it when I was on the trail, but caught it in 2005. You never know who you're going to run into there. I met Stumpknocker and Shortcut there. Pure coincidence. Call it trail magic.

Creek Dancer
11-10-2007, 18:08
What, no mention of The Homeplace in Catawba, Virginia! Ok, I haven't done the entire AT, but this southern family style restaurant is truly amazing.

Oops, I missed ScottP's post.

soad
11-10-2007, 19:21
My vote is for the "Smoky Mountain Brewery" in Gatlinburg. For a tourist joint that caters to fat car-bound Dollywooders it has the BEST pizza!!

Also (a bit further from the trail), Fred's General Store on Beech Mountain has a great cafe downstairs that has awesome pizza.