PDA

View Full Version : Herping Thru (Reptiles and Amphibians of the AT)

Manach
11-08-2007, 03:14
Any of you folks into amateur field herping?

I'm wondering about a sort of field guide for reptiles and amphibians along the AT corridor, end to end. Sure, one could piece the information together from various guides, but has anyone come across a comprehensive guide to the herps of the AT?

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 08:15
Any of you folks into amateur field herping?

I'm wondering about a sort of field guide for reptiles and amphibians along the AT corridor, end to end. Sure, one could piece the information together from various guides, but has anyone come across a comprehensive guide to the herps of the AT?

There is a field guide specific to the Smokies, but on a traditional NOBO thru-hike, you'll see very little in the way of salamanders in the park. I mention the Smokies, because it has the richest salamander populations on the planet.
https://cms.ser.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/amphibians.htm

I have participated in field studies that developed a baseline for herp populations in Sterling Forest in New York. Some of that work was done along the trail. Regarding the entire trail, the Peterson Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians is a good guide. A bit heavy to haul around on a hike though.

Manach
11-08-2007, 09:58
There is a field guide specific to the Smokies, but on a traditional NOBO thru-hike, you'll see very little in the way of salamanders in the park.

Because of the lay of the land through which the trail travels or simply because spotting salamanders requires some searching under logs, leaf litter, and such?

What about the BMT? I'm considering taking it through the Smokies instead of the AT in order to avoid the crowds.

I mention the Smokies, because it has the richest salamander populations on the planet.

That's awesome, thanks for the link. I'll look up that guide, maybe get to take a trip to the Smokies prior to my hike.

That must have been fun work.

[quote]Regarding the entire trail, the Peterson Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians is a good guide. A bit heavy to haul around on a hike though.

Well, I'm not planning to actually carry the guide with me, more like study it prior to the hike and take some simple notes and maybe print outs of photos to help me indentify what I see.

I do have some guides but not Peterson's, so thanks for the recommendation.

If there's nothing like a thru-hiker's guide to reptiles and amphibs of the AT, perhaps I'll start compiling the info myself and put it in a printable pdf. Might be fun. Contributions would be most welcome! :D

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 10:17
I saw two off-duty biology types on the BMT when I was backpacking the area and one of them had a pretty tan salamander in a plastic ziploc with a little water which I believe he was going to take back with him to study. He said it was sort of hard to find and rare.

After they left my campsite I cursed them and all their hocus pocus Scientific Research as cultish, immature and stupidly unneeded. The newt belonged out there with me, not in a bag in some careerist's ticket-punching hands. I guess I get a little emotional cuz I have a soft spot for the little salamanders, the red eft in particular. They don't do it often, but I love it when one of them tries to snap at me with an opened mouth.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 10:28
Because of the lay of the land through which the trail travels or simply because spotting salamanders requires some searching under logs, leaf litter, and such?

What about the BMT? I'm considering taking it through the Smokies instead of the AT in order to avoid the crowds.

The AT in the Smokies is on the ridge with very few streams crossing the trail. A typical NOBO thru-hike sees the hiker crossing the park in winter conditions. That's not a good time for spotting herps. I have seen salamanders in springs on the trail. In fact, I'll upload a photo of a Jordans Salamander that I photographed in the spring at Icewater Springs Shelter.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19639&c=553

I also saw a beautiful Northern Red in the middle of the trail near the Mt. Collins Shelter.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19638&c=553

You are more likely (but not guaranteed) to encounter reptiles & amphibians on the BMT because of the elevation and the fact that a number of streams cross the trail. There are a number of vernal pools along the BMT too. These important breeding areas often hold eggs, tadpoles or salamander larvae.

You can also see Dusky Salamanders sitting on rocks or logs in the middle of a stream in the Smokies. Hikerhead photographed a Timber Rattler over Memorial Day weekend sitting in a stream crossing the BMT. It's rare to fine a rattler sitting in a stream like that.

eric_plano
11-08-2007, 11:31
The salamanders and such were my favorite thing to see on the trail. Thanks for giving them a name Mowgli. I saw tons of the red and black ones (which I was calling Bob and Fred) around Hot Springs when it was wet and cold and it seemed they could not move (I moved em off the trail and they didn't flinch at all).
My favorite was this one (I think it's a red eft?).

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 11:38
My favorite was this one (I think it's a red eft?).

Yes, this is the terrestrial (juvenile) form of the Red Spotted Newt.