PDA

View Full Version : Where is your favorite place to Winter Hike??

Wonder
11-08-2007, 11:09
So, it's that time of year!!! Woke up this morning to is and frost and my windshield scrapper. The chill also gave me the itch for some winter hiking.....my favorite kind!
Where is your favorite place to battle the elements??

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 11:17
Snowshoeing all around Jay Peak in Vermont on 5 ft. of snow

Cuffs
11-08-2007, 11:21
Wonder: I think its amazing for you (and everyone else) to winter hike! I like winter, but I like to observe it from the warmth of my house! I just cant stand to be cold. I am working more on my cold weather set up, so maybe one day I can join the cold crowd!

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 11:22
I've spent a few snowy, frost-tipped nights around the Pinnacle in Berks County, Pa. (Camping is no longer legal there, BTW.)

I think that one of the best memories I have is spending part of the Thanksgiving holiday with my 10 year old son in Vermont. The trip did not go according to plan and we left early (he got wet and COLD), but the company was GREAT! A picture from Cloudland still hangs on my wall.

Wonder
11-08-2007, 11:34
Wonder: I think its amazing for you (and everyone else) to winter hike! I like winter, but I like to observe it from the warmth of my house! I just cant stand to be cold. I am working more on my cold weather set up, so maybe one day I can join the cold crowd!

Ah, yes....winter hiking is a different beast, but I HATE mid-summer hiking. Give me a zero degree wind chill over 98 and humid anyday. Also, after making some BIG cold weather gear mistakes my first year out....I love playing with my zero degree gear. Its fun to hike all day in comfort.....it's only cold when you stop. Then, know that the world around you is frozen while you are nice and toasty in your tent. Man, I love it!

weary
11-08-2007, 11:36
Baxter State Park in Maine is my favorite winter place, mostly because of the challenge and the beauty. The prettiest place East of the Rockies in February is Chimney Pond, half way to the summit of Katahdin. But it is not easy to get to. The public road isn't plowed to the park, so you have to drive on the private forestry road to Abol Bridge, Bushwhack to the park roads and follow them to the Chimney Pond Trail.

I like to make it a four day trip in winter. First 10 miles to Roaring Brook campground the first day, and then 3.5 miles to Chimney Pond. Explore the great basins around chimney pond on day three -- or climb the mountain -- and out on day four.

But there are other spectacular places in the park. I've traversed the park in winter, again a four day snowshoe -- starting at the northern Matagamon gate to South Branch Pond, then Russell Pond, Roaring Brook and out, a totall of about 40 miles.

And of course the Appalachin Trail to the tableland and the summit makes an interesting winter "walk." I've used that route twice in winter to the Tableland, but never reached the summit. Both times we were driven back by white outs.

My only winter summit was from Chimney Pond one beautiful January day.

Weary

Mags
11-08-2007, 11:43

Or from the confines of a cozy hut perhaps? :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13959&g2_page=16
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13959&g2_page=4

You read about it at:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=51

Go to the Jan 2007 and March 2007 archives.

I love winter trips. I used to do the snowcave/igloo thing..but then I discovered huts. :) As my friend Terry N told me "The outdoors person in you loves the skiing...the Italian in you loves all the cooking, food and wine".

How true.

I bought a wax kit two weeks ago. I am soooo ready for winter. Bring on the powder!

Besides, when you get views like this, (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=11705) how can you NOT love winter ??!!?!
(From a winter backpack)

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 11:47
Terrace Pond (http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Terrace_Pond_Loop_5602.asp) - with my ice skates and a thermos full of coffee in my day pack.

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 11:50
I don't want to hijack this thread, but over the years I've noticed that when there's no snow on the ground, it seems that there are a LOT more "poorly prepared" hikers out there (even if the temps are in the teens), but after the snow really hits, the crowds thin out and it's time for the serious winter-folk to hit the trail. Anybody else notice this in areas other than Pa.?

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 11:53
I've only been winter hiking a few years and really enjoy it but don't have a favorite place yet. This year I hope to snowshoe for the first time both in the Allegheny highlands where I live and possibly New England.

Last winter I dayhiked in the Adirondacks and enjoyed it so much that I made up my Christmas card (through KodakGallery.com) of snow-covered evergreens.

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 11:54
Here's a good system: Wait until the pinhead pundits(weathermen)call for dangerously cold conditions(in their minds, anything below 20 degrees)with the possibility of snow, and with this information get your gear squared and find the highest mountain trail you can get to and start backpacking.

Traditionally, the Wilburn Ridge area around Mt Rogers in Virginia and the Roan Mountain area by Carvers Gap in TN have been iceboxes known to readjust attitudes and purge softlife brainstems. And don't forget Mt Miitchell in NC, another cold world where dayhikers often die of hyperthermia in the SUMMER.

I guess the world's best near-death experience can still be had on Mt Washington in the winter, and for those living near it the excitement levels for such an experience are high.

I was living out in a tipi around Boone, NC during the Blizzard of '93 and got to reevaluate my puny life amidst one of Mother Nature's biggest cold snaps and Fun Festivals. Better man for it, etc. The Boone/Blowing Rock area sported some fine winter backpacking and Frost Encounters, in particular a January 1985 epic found me caught in a tent during a freakish 30 degrees BELOW ZERO windstorm and snow blizzard. The Knoxville air temp at the same time was 18 degrees below.

My current Jeremiah Johnson fascinations come from winter camping along the 5000 foot Hangover and Bob Bald in the Citico/Slickrock. It routinely dips to zero degrees and there's always snow when there's no snow anywhere else. Some local backpackers also swear by Dolly Sods in WV, a place to shrink man-units and bring frozen tears to the eye. Tears of joy.

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 12:06
..... Some local backpackers also swear by Dolly Sods in WV, a place to shrink man-units and bring frozen tears to the eye. Tears of joy.

I live less than 90 minutes from Dolly Sods and hope to get there or nearby Canaan Valley (despite the name "Valley," its elevation is 3,000') this winter.

Mags
11-08-2007, 12:11
Here's a good system: Wait until the pinhead

If you are free-heel skiier, Pinheads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemark_skiing) has a different connotation! :)

As for the snow thinning out the outdoors people...

Well, yes and no.

I find with the advent of inexpensive snowshoes (and very cheap and avail rentals), the winter backcountry is opened up for a lot for people.

I hate to say it as I used to snowshoe a lot in the past, but I see many woefully unprepared snowshoers. Talking blue jeans, cotton hoodies, etc. Not a big deal in th summer...a different ball of wax at 10k ft in February!

I wrote a piece earlier this year on what I call The Snowshoe Date. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21504&highlight=snowshoe+date) I think it applies! :)

Jim Adams
11-08-2007, 12:30

Cuffs,
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!:-?

I wouldn't go if I was cold all the time. Get the correct equipment for the time of year and give it a try. I LOVE cold weather / winter backpacking and in fact only backpack in the summer when I'm thru hiking.:sun

geek

dessertrat
11-08-2007, 12:44
I don't want to hijack this thread, but over the years I've noticed that when there's no snow on the ground, it seems that there are a LOT more "poorly prepared" hikers out there (even if the temps are in the teens), but after the snow really hits, the crowds thin out and it's time for the serious winter-folk to hit the trail. Anybody else notice this in areas other than Pa.?

I'm guess that's because a lot of people think "snow" equals "hypothermia", when in fact it is often an ally, with rain being the real enemy in freezing temperatures.

ed bell
11-08-2007, 12:50
I'm guess that's because a lot of people think "snow" equals "hypothermia", when in fact it is often an ally, with rain being the real enemy in freezing temperatures.Very true. 33 deg and rain is a terrible combo, while 20 deg and snow can be great fun.:sun

bigcranky
11-08-2007, 13:14
I love winter hiking along the southern A.T. Mt Rogers area, Roan, Nantahalas -- all great. It may not be "winter" the way Mags experiences it (nice photos, BTW), but it's still fun. I love waking up on a cold, cold morning with the sun popping up behind the ridgeline, enjoying hot coffee and oatmeal from the comfort of my down sleeping bag. Let's go hike!

Wonder
11-08-2007, 13:22
Ohhhhh....can't wait to hike Grayson this winter! Wonder if I could cross-country the Creeper....

Cuffs
11-08-2007, 13:24
Cuffs,
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!:-?

I wouldn't go if I was cold all the time. Get the correct equipment for the time of year and give it a try. I LOVE cold weather / winter backpacking and in fact only backpack in the summer when I'm thru hiking.:sun

geek

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying its "bad" weather, I just dont like to be cold! I love the scenery winter brings! Ive got good gear, just not warm gear!

Cuffs
11-08-2007, 13:26
Or from the confines of a cozy hut perhaps?

Besides, when you get views like this, (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=11705) how can you NOT love winter ??!!?!
(From a winter backpack)

Yea... thanks AGAIN for rubbing that in my face!!:D

Marta
11-08-2007, 13:27
Snow is wonderous stuff. IMO there's not nearly enough of it around here...

Roan High Knob Shelter, last year in the snow:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=199021

skskinner
11-08-2007, 13:41
Great Thread, it has given me some spots to consider for some winter backpacking on the AT. I live quite a ways from it so I will say at this time the Hoosier National Forest of southern Indiana is my favorite place. I took my sons a number of times in 5 degree F weather and once in an ice storm. We have some really good memories of trying to stay warm together. One time my wife drove us to the Tennesee border around the Big South Fork area of the Cumberland River and dropped us off. My boys were about 8 and 10 years old. She came back to the dropoff point four days later to pick us up. Temps got to 20 F but we had a real blast!
Mule

Doctari
11-09-2007, 00:05
A long long way from you, Grayson highlands :D

Oh yes, thats: A long way from me, close to you.

My second choice is RRG. My third choice is: ANYWHERE ELSE!

I love cold weather hiking / camping.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-09-2007, 00:29
.....The Boone/Blowing Rock area sported some fine winter backpacking and Frost Encounters, in particular a January 1985 epic found me caught in a tent during a freakish 30 degrees BELOW ZERO windstorm and snow blizzard. The Knoxville air temp at the same time was 18 degrees below.:eek::eek::eek: You were in a tent for that storm!!! I remember that storm - it was -24F where I was with wind. I got blisters on one hand and my face just going to the mailbox.

Please tell us more about how you survived that.

Ah, yes....winter hiking is a different beast, but I HATE mid-summer hiking. Give me a zero degree wind chill over 98 and humid anyday. Also, after making some BIG cold weather gear mistakes my first year out....I love playing with my zero degree gear. Its fun to hike all day in comfort.....it's only cold when you stop. Then, know that the world around you is frozen while you are nice and toasty in your tent. Man, I love it!I miss being able to winter hike. My bum leg really doesn't do well in the cold - not to mention ice and snow. I loved the winter hike for the reasons Wonder mentions - and the views Mags provided.

Footslogger
11-09-2007, 00:44
My favorite place to winter hike is the Snow Range in the Medicine Bow National Forest

'Slogger

Wanderingson
11-09-2007, 00:58
My altime favorite winter hiking location is, without a doubt the Hakkoda Mountians in Northern Japan.

Snow depts of 20+ feet and hiking through volcanic canyons that reek of hydrogen sulfide. The reward and pay off in the volcanic thermal spings and baths to soak your weary bones after a great day of hiking. The Hachimanti Plateu comes in a close second with similar rewards.

The most spectacular aspets of these trips is the "Snow Monsters" The evergreens are blanketed with 2-3 feet of damp powder snow and they stand on the ridge lines as if they were serving as Sentrys to protect the sacred volcanic lands.

Oh, by the way, hot ramen in Japan is NOTHING like you find in the states.

Cosmic Crusader
11-09-2007, 01:26
Lost Creek Canyon, or open range hike from Vegas to Mt Charleston. A void of humans in the winter... nothing but the cold wind and sand and a maze of washes and trails.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2007, 01:27
:eek::eek::eek: You were in a tent for that storm!!! I remember that storm - it was -24F where I was with wind. I got blisters on one hand and my face just going to the mailbox.

Please tell us more about how you survived that.
I miss being able to winter hike. My bum leg really doesn't do well in the cold - not to mention ice and snow. I loved the winter hike for the reasons Wonder mentions - and the views Mags provided.

I was camping in the Lost Valley and Conehead areas around Boone when the storm hit. It was about a 5 day winter storm that not only brought -30 degree ambient temps but a vicious wind and a paralyzing fear, a certain kind of fear which entered my heart when the wind howled over every night. After two days of this I packed up in a panic and walked into town where I found an unlocked Baptist Church with space under a pew for my thermarest and bag. I got out of the hellish wind and face-freezing cold.

During this time the entire little town of Boone shut down, cars sat unattended, batteries froze and cracked, life was cancelled and water pipes burst. I was into my 5th year of living out and I carried gear suitable for zero degrees or 10 below, a nice North Face goose down bag(Ibex)and a thick thermarest, but what hit me that week in January was an arctic blast beyond the limits of the gear I carried.

Nightwalker
11-10-2007, 04:34
That sounds wonderful, Weary. Most people don't think about Baxter in the Winter,but you make it sound really nice.

Baxter State Park in Maine is my favorite winter place, mostly because of the challenge and the beauty. The prettiest place East of the Rockies in February is Chimney Pond, half way to the summit of Katahdin. But it is not easy to get to. The public road isn't plowed to the park, so you have to drive on the private forestry road to Abol Bridge, Bushwhack to the park roads and follow them to the Chimney Pond Trail.

I like to make it a four day trip in winter. First 10 miles to Roaring Brook campground the first day, and then 3.5 miles to Chimney Pond. Explore the great basins around chimney pond on day three -- or climb the mountain -- and out on day four.

But there are other spectacular places in the park. I've traversed the park in winter, again a four day snowshoe -- starting at the northern Matagamon gate to South Branch Pond, then Russell Pond, Roaring Brook and out, a totall of about 40 miles.

And of course the Appalachin Trail to the tableland and the summit makes an interesting winter "walk." I've used that route twice in winter to the Tableland, but never reached the summit. Both times we were driven back by white outs.

My only winter summit was from Chimney Pond one beautiful January day.

Weary

I normally hike quite a bit on the Foothills Trail in the Winter. But Winter here means a quite different thing. I've been around 0F twice, both with very heavy wind. Mostly the nights just get in the teens and 20s.

A couple of nights ago, I got to spend an evening in my hammock in the mid 20s. I'm enjoying cool-weather hammocking much more than I expected to. I actually had to shuck a layer near morning, due to an unexpected sweat! :)

Nightwalker
11-10-2007, 04:41
Ohhhhh....can't wait to hike Grayson this winter! Wonder if I could cross-country the Creeper....

I'd love to do a few days with you and Mr. Silly this Winter. Sound like a good idea?

Nightwalker
11-10-2007, 04:43
My bum leg really doesn't do well in the cold - not to mention ice and snow. I loved the winter hike for the reasons Wonder mentions - and the views Mags provided.

I got some frostbite on the toes of my left foot last Winter. Now the danged thing hurts every time it gets cold. Does that ever go away?

TOW
11-10-2007, 07:27
I've hiked in the fall and winter all down here in the south and up in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Massachusetts and Vermont during the winter. I'll take the south any day in the winter........

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 10:05
I haven't gotten to do much winter camping around here yet - seem to find myself out of town over the winter during the last 3 years. BUT - I plan to get out to the Smokies and Nantahalas to toughen up a little this winter.

weary
11-10-2007, 11:52
That sounds wonderful, Weary. Most people don't think about Baxter in the Winter,but you make it sound really nice.

I normally hike quite a bit on the Foothills Trail in the Winter. But Winter here means a quite different thing. I've been around 0F twice, both with very heavy wind. Mostly the nights just get in the teens and 20s.

A couple of nights ago, I got to spend an evening in my hammock in the mid 20s. I'm enjoying cool-weather hammocking much more than I expected to. I actually had to shuck a layer near morning, due to an unexpected sweat! :)
My first winter hike in Baxter occurred on New Year's Eve 1970. Winter use of the park then was pretty much confined to snowmobilers and a group of us decided to demonstrate that you could enjoy the park without motors. We made arrangements to use the bunk house at Katahdin Stream and snowshoed in on the AT, nine miles from Abol Bridge.

Our group of nine included an oceanographer and a professor of Zoology from the University of Maine and the professors two daughters, ages 10 and 11.

We arrived at Katahdin Stream about dusk, only to discover that the park rangers had forgotten to unlock the bunk house. So we made do with a couple of shelters.

It was a bright, starlit, very cold night. How cold? When I finally crawled out of my sleeping bag about 8 oclock New Years Day my thermometer read
minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

We all survived without serious mishap, but the purpose of the trip was foiled. The wife of the oceanographer came down with the flu and was evacuated by a very friendly and helpful snowmobiler.

Weary

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 14:50
My current Jeremiah Johnson fascinations come from winter camping along the 5000 foot Hangover and Bob Bald in the Citico/Slickrock. It routinely dips to zero degrees and there's always snow when there's no snow anywhere else. Some local backpackers also swear by Dolly Sods in WV, a place to shrink man-units and bring frozen tears to the eye. Tears of joy.
Thinking about going up to Bob Bald Monday night for some Anti-Snivel conditioning. Wats is the closest good water you know of?

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2007, 14:57
As it gets colder, my knee gets a bit creakier.

Therefore, in recent years, my favorite stretch of the Trail in the wintertime runs between the Hanover Food Co-op and Five Olde Nugget Alley Tavern in Hanover. This is a lovely stretch of Trail, just under a mile; very scenic, virtually flat, with excellent Re-Supply at either end. I heartily reccomend it.

Tipi Walter
11-10-2007, 15:09
Thinking about going up to Bob Bald Monday night for some Anti-Snivel conditioning. Wats is the closest good water you know of?

Hey Sgt Rock. It would have to be at Naked Ground down the Slickrock side. I've seen the Bob spring dry but never Naked Ground. Depending on your route, you could load up coming in from the North Fork/South Fork Citico trails, too. Coming in from Beech Gap will be dry although if you stay on the BMT past 54A(trail up to the Bob)and swing around to the Bob this way, you'll cross several water sources before reaching the big campsite on the Fodderstack ridge(Snow Camp).

BTW, and I just remembered, when coming in from Beech Gap and climbing to the Bald, there's a small spring right on the trail just before entering the clearing to the Bob. It's on the left right off the trail by a big trailside tree. Sometimes there's a white plastic pipe in it and very often has water, though probably not now. It would be worth following down a ways to see.

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 15:34
Has anyone tried any of the 100 mile wilderness in the wintertime? I'd love a report if anyone has.

Tipi Walter
11-10-2007, 15:38
Has anyone tried any of the 100 mile wilderness in the wintertime? I'd love a report if anyone has.

I'd like to know about it, too. Is it snowing less up there like down here? In the winter, is the 100 mile wilderness deep with snow usually or is it periodic?

Jan LiteShoe
11-10-2007, 16:01

Just remember your wind gear and chapstick on the balds.

Last weekend, in the mild fall mid-day sun, which was warm, the breeze was... air-ish. It'll knife ya.

The friendly pony foals warmed my heart though.
:sun

Pacific Tortuga
11-10-2007, 16:37
I know this go's against the grain here but Joshua Tree, CA is my favorite winter camping. High 50's during the day and a chilly 30's at night.
This may qualify me as a first class whimp or smarter than most :-? just Cal camping. If I want snow it would be Mammoth Lakes, I'd probably just go skiing and camp out at warming hut 2 with a shot of Beam and ale.:cool:

weary
11-10-2007, 17:54
I've done bits and pieces over the years. And I know several people who have done it in winter.

The big problems are the stream crossings. A couple of years ago the Ferryman came out of hibernation and canoed the AMC Maine Chapter chair and vice chair across the Kennebec in February.

Elsewhere in the wilderness you pretty much have to hope for a cold winter with a lot of snow bridges across the streams. It's not a great time for thigh-deep fording. An unexpected thaw can leave you stranded in places, so carry surplus food.

Otherwise the "wilderness" is pretty much like any other trail in northern New England. Well access and resupply are a bit more difficult. Few of the logging roads are plowed.

Weary

Wolf - 23000
11-10-2007, 22:10
My favorite would be winter hiking the 100-mile wilderness, I love seeing frozen waterfalls, all the trees covered with snow or in VT, just the way the sun reflects off of the snow.

I love winter hiking, and only the true die-hard hikers go out that time of year. It is a different beast.

Wolf

Toolshed
11-10-2007, 22:59
I spent about a dozen years nsowshoeing and BCskiing in the Adirondacks. -40 below nights... no kidding. Toss boiling water in the air and watch most of it vaporize and the remaining bits fall back as ice.
I appreciate hiking in bitter cold. Trees crack and sound like they are exploding at night.
I slept out on the ice on Allegheny Reserovior one weekend, one winter. It was phenominal. You could hear the wind howling across the ice and echo underneath it. constant little cracking sounds kept me on edge the first night, but I slept like a baby the next.
But give me 10-12 feet of snow where you are walking on top of the krumholz and you are on top of 5' of ice on streams and creeks, but can hear them beneath you.
Days where you only need one wax - White (Polar) and blue skies. night's as crystal clear black as coffee. Just phenominal!!!

Flush2wice
11-11-2007, 00:07
Bermuda- mostly short section hikes between the room and the bar. Sometimes camp at the pool.

The Desperado
11-12-2007, 00:00
Rangeley Lks,Me...Buena Vista area, colo...sherburne pass area,vt

Dakota Dan
11-12-2007, 00:27
For a different experience try GSMNP in the dead of winter with Hwy 441 closed, and plenty of snow everywhere. Start out at Fontana and hike to Davenport Gap or Standing Bear Farm. Have made the whole trip once and one year(early 90's) the snow was so heavy we had to turn back at about Clingmans. I don't think it ever snows like that anymore.

I would like to hike/snowshoe Vermont(not sure which trail would be the most scenic) and maybe Baxter SP in snow.

Wonder
11-12-2007, 01:22
As it gets colder, my knee gets a bit creakier.

Therefore, in recent years, my favorite stretch of the Trail in the wintertime runs between the Hanover Food Co-op and Five Olde Nugget Alley Tavern in Hanover. This is a lovely stretch of Trail, just under a mile; very scenic, virtually flat, with excellent Re-Supply at either end. I heartily reccomend it.

Yeah, the AT section on the northside of town....Right at "Dots Bend" will get pretty well worn. There is also this great blue blaze you can take thru the "Baja Pass" I'm Really looking forward to some GREAT winter hiking round these parts;)

Ramble~On
11-12-2007, 02:30
Bridgeport California.. This is the first place that popped into my mind.
9500+' mountains and the scenery is out of this world...plus this is the only place I've done a lot of winter hiking and camping where there's enough snow to dig snow caves.
Second favorite place is along the Mid State Trail in central Pennsylvania...in particular the Rothrock State Forest area above Boalsburg.
The AT between Clingman's Dome and Fontana Dam is another favorite winter hike especially if you can get up there before the snow falls and they close the road. No boot prints in the snow in front of you is a good sign in the Smokies.
This thread is motivating...and although they're calling for a drier and warmer than normal winter this year...I've stockplied vacation time so I can escape into the freezer.

JAK
11-12-2007, 08:03
Haven't been to too many places away from home. I would imagine many are spectacular. But I would have to say my favourite place to winter hike is here in New Brunswick, or next door in Maine, and of course up into Quebec and the Labrador.

A good book:
http://www.chiendor.com/s/librairie3019f2.htm

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 09:42
There is also this great blue blaze you can take thru the "Baja Pass" I'm Really looking forward to some GREAT winter hiking round these parts;)

that section will probably be closed this winter

Froggy
11-12-2007, 11:05
New Zealand.

Wonder
11-12-2007, 11:49
that section will probably be closed this winter

Good Point. Maybe I'll check out that yellow blaze to the "Stateline SUmmit":D

Bootstrap
11-12-2007, 12:27

Yeah.

Which is always funny for me, I feel a lot safer at 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit with snow than I do at 35 degrees with rain and wind.

Jonathan

The Solemates
11-12-2007, 13:19
My favorite trail in the winter, hands down, has to be Blackcomb Glacier, at Whistler-Blackcomb :)

But for hiking, I'd have to say I love the Black Mtns/Pisgah area in western NC. Always breathtaking at 5000+ feet with a frigid chill in the air.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 16:05
Snowshoeing all around Jay Peak in Vermont on 5 ft. of snow

Jay Peak today
www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/picturesday/?date=2007-11-12

weary
11-12-2007, 17:27
Yeah.
Which is always funny for me, I feel a lot safer at 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit with snow than I do at 35 degrees with rain and wind.Jonathan
Maybe that's because it is safer. Nothing is more hazardous than a wet pack and clothes with a brisk wind and the temperature hovering around freezing.

If some one wanted the experience of hypothermia, that would be my prescription.

Weary

cowboy nichols
11-12-2007, 18:30
Hawaii at christmas Great hike but I still love snow and miss it.

Wolf - 23000
11-12-2007, 22:47
Jay Peak today
www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/picturesday/?date=2007-11-12 (http://www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/picturesday/?date=2007-11-12)

Yea just watch out for frozen boots. It sucks when they freeze on your feet!!! :D

Wolf

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 23:04
I spent about a dozen years nsowshoeing and BCskiing in the Adirondacks. -40 below nights... no kidding. Toss boiling water in the air and watch most of it vaporize and the remaining bits fall back as ice.
I appreciate hiking in bitter cold. Trees crack and sound like they are exploding at night.
I slept out on the ice on Allegheny Reserovior one weekend, one winter. It was phenominal. You could hear the wind howling across the ice and echo underneath it. constant little cracking sounds kept me on edge the first night, but I slept like a baby the next.
But give me 10-12 feet of snow where you are walking on top of the krumholz and you are on top of 5' of ice on streams and creeks, but can hear them beneath you.
Days where you only need one wax - White (Polar) and blue skies. night's as crystal clear black as coffee. Just phenominal!!!

I camped next to a frozen lake too and heard the loud pops and rumbling of breaking, shifting ice. It sort of shook the ground.

My best memories of winter camping come from backpacking and camping in Lost Valley, a rhodo choked valley fed by a pure cold creek. The valley was so thick with rhodo(about 5 feet high too, the worst kind)that the only way to move thru it was right up the middle of the creek. If followed continuously, this creek-trail would take me up onto the headwaters and the high ground, eventually reaching the Temple of the Gods, a high bald with an ancient stone circle. But how did I walk thru the creek in winter? High rubber boots kept in a cache just for that purpose.

There's something special about following a snowy, icey creek in the winter, the rhodo leaves are rolled tight, the snow is everywhere, and I'm sweating up a storm.

LostInSpace
11-14-2007, 00:16
I was thinking that some of the southern or mid sections of the AZT might be nice in winter. Has anyone done this?

Roots
11-14-2007, 08:32
Hey Wonder, I couldn't help think about your thread. I heard the weather this morning. NC/TN border is expecting a mix overnight-Head for the Smokies!! I admire your love for the cold weather hiking. I have developed the same 'fever' myself. After experiencing a backpacking trip in July, I suddenly love the cold. :)

genetic claybuilding
11-27-2007, 14:18
Is the Mt. Rogers/Grayson area passable in late December and January, or if not, when does the snow generally get too deep to pass w/o snowshoes? Of course, I'm assuming something like normal precipitation in the coming months.

I love winter hiking along the southern A.T. Mt Rogers area, Roan, Nantahalas -- all great. It may not be "winter" the way Mags experiences it (nice photos, BTW), but it's still fun. I love waking up on a cold, cold morning with the sun popping up behind the ridgeline, enjoying hot coffee and oatmeal from the comfort of my down sleeping bag. Let's go hike!

Lone Wolf
11-27-2007, 14:22
Is the Mt. Rogers/Grayson area passable in late December and January, or if not, when does the snow generally get too deep to pass w/o snowshoes? Of course, I'm assuming something like normal precipitation in the coming months.

sure it is. there may not be any snow up there in the coming months or there might be tons. who knows?

mts4602
11-27-2007, 18:10
What's the AT like in the Smokies in December? I don't have any winter experience except this past weekend in the smokies...and it's not winter yet.

I'd like to try something in the winter, but I don't know where to start. Not sure if that's the best place though.

Summit
11-28-2007, 07:47
So, it's that time of year!!! Woke up this morning to is and frost and my windshield scrapper. The chill also gave me the itch for some winter hiking.....my favorite kind!
Where is your favorite place to battle the elements??St. Thomas! :D :p

LIhikers
11-28-2007, 08:08
If I can get away for 2 or more days I enjoy NY's Catskills. If it's just a day hike then anyplace in lower NY or northern NJ.

wudhipy
11-28-2007, 08:28
Swift camp creek trail in the red river gorge here in Ky. Set up camp at dog fork and enjoy being a million miles from everything.

wudhipy

Marta
11-28-2007, 10:22
What's the AT like in the Smokies in December? I don't have any winter experience except this past weekend in the smokies...and it's not winter yet.

I'd like to try something in the winter, but I don't know where to start. Not sure if that's the best place though.

The Smokies are a good place to get cold in the South. Be careful not to park somewhere that will be closed off if there's snow or ice, like Newfound Gap. I'm planning a trip in December, starting from Bryson City. Big Creek Ranger Station is probably the easiest place for you to get to, since it's right near I-40.

envirodiver
11-28-2007, 19:19
The Roan Mountain Area is one of my favorites, along with Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock, Cold Mountain/Shining Rock and I've had some great winter trips in the Big South Fork area.

Funny that the lessons we learn from doing something stupid really sticks with you if it occurs in the winter. Many years ago I went out on New Years Eve and Day to Citigo Creek area. Hiked up to Bob Bald, and I learned that night why there is no folage in the open area. While it was easy to find a place for my tent in this big open area, I didn't consider the lack of cover and protection from the wind. Thank goodness it didn't get real cold. I laugh about it now, but that wind absolutely hammered me all night. To the point of turning a tent pole inside out and hitting me in the face, picking the tent up a little and shaking it. You could hear it coming through the trees down lower like a freight train, then silence for a period of about 3 seconds (I was counting)...then Wham it hits the tent.

Tipi Walter
11-28-2007, 20:18
The Roan Mountain Area is one of my favorites, along with Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock, Cold Mountain/Shining Rock and I've had some great winter trips in the Big South Fork area.

Funny that the lessons we learn from doing something stupid really sticks with you if it occurs in the winter. Many years ago I went out on New Years Eve and Day to Citigo Creek area. Hiked up to Bob Bald, and I learned that night why there is no folage in the open area. While it was easy to find a place for my tent in this big open area, I didn't consider the lack of cover and protection from the wind. Thank goodness it didn't get real cold. I laugh about it now, but that wind absolutely hammered me all night. To the point of turning a tent pole inside out and hitting me in the face, picking the tent up a little and shaking it. You could hear it coming through the trees down lower like a freight train, then silence for a period of about 3 seconds (I was counting)...then Wham it hits the tent.

I weep in fond rememberance . . . In fact, I just returned from some nights on the Bob but it wasn't bad, not like a dozen other nights I could mention up thar on the high ground. Take any open bald, add a winter storm, and you've got some good ingredients for a trip report.

I think the Bob(Sir Robert when the weather hits hard)is unique as it juts up from the Tennessee valley with nothing in between. So when the west by northwest Howlers come calling, you might regret taking in the scenary on the open bald.

I've had many mini-epics in the Citico/Slickrock, and most of them happened up on the Bob. One of them was as you mentioned, I was in a small tent during an all night wind storm, hunkered in as usual, not quite waiting for certain death, when I heard a godawful sound coming in from the south. It sounded like a fast moving fighter jet, all scream and whine, my medulla jumped and my adrenals had the running squirts, and then it hit.

"Hold on, boys, it's sure to hurt!" and I did hold on, think it was a micro-burst, a mini-tornado took hold of me and my tent and we jumped in all directions at once. I held on to the tent poles from the inside and after 20 seconds it was gone, replaced by it's Daughter, Just A Demon Wind. The pucker factor was high, many bodily organs by this time had retreated into the closest available orifice, etc.

Another more recent time another she-witch wind hit my Hilleberg Nammatj tunnel tent, pulled the stakes out of the ground and bent one pole. Thank you, swedish nylon, but no thanks. For several months after these events I actually avoided this particular tentsite, instead finding a more protected area 100 yards into some trees(dear old South Col Camp).

brotheral
11-28-2007, 20:33
Hollywood Beach, Fl :sun :sun !! hahahahahahahahahahaha............
Happy Holidays & Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

envirodiver
11-29-2007, 11:19
Yup Tipi Walter, sounds like the night I was there. That area is one of my favorite places and the weather is truly unpredictable. As many times as I have been there in the winter I have yet to be able to see the view from Hangover Lead in the winter. It has always been socked in.

I don't camp with Sir Robert in the winter now. Great place to field test a new tent though.

Tipi Walter
11-29-2007, 12:03
Yup Tipi Walter, sounds like the night I was there. That area is one of my favorite places and the weather is truly unpredictable. As many times as I have been there in the winter I have yet to be able to see the view from Hangover Lead in the winter. It has always been socked in.

I don't camp with Sir Robert in the winter now. Great place to field test a new tent though.

I was on the Hangover just this month for a trip and, well, if you know anything about the Hangover you won't like this:(see fotogs). This clearcut is located in a big camping spot right before the actual Hangover overlook, about 200 yards back. It's right on top of the mountain and is a sobering sight.

MOWGLI
11-29-2007, 12:08
I was on the Hangover just this month for a trip and, well, if you know anything about the Hangover you won't like this:(see fotogs). This clearcut is located in a big camping spot right before the actual Hangover overlook, about 200 yards back. It's right on top of the mountain and is a sobering sight.

The Cheoah Ranger District informed me that this is a firebreak cut after a big fire occurred in the area.

envirodiver
11-29-2007, 12:21
Good to know at least that it is not clear cut logging like you see on some of the drives in the area.

A question: I thought that power tools were not allowed to be used in designated wilderness areas. The Hangover is a part of the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock wilderness area is it not?

Tipi Walter
11-29-2007, 12:29
The Cheoah Ranger District informed me that this is a firebreak cut after a big fire occurred in the area.

The only fire I saw was about 2 miles down the mountain in the distance. I didn't see any sign of fire up by the Hangover. It looks to be a chopper landing zone to shuttle firefighters from the top down and to reach their fire lines that way.

As far as a wilderness goes, well, rules are suspended sometimes in a wilderness. Though it depends on the local higher ups and their policy/reactions. Some wildereness areas actually allow fires to burn out the underbrush, etc.

Dakota Dan
11-29-2007, 12:38
........A question: I thought that power tools were not allowed to be used in designated wilderness areas.......

I think that NP's may have some rules on this. I remember talking to someone years ago in the GSMNP about it, he said they could Dynamite but not use a chainsaw. That said, I was camping/hiking at Deep Creek in the park and noticed several chain saw cleared areas on the trail. Could have been done illegally by the horse people.:confused:

Tipi Walter
11-29-2007, 12:49
I think that NP's may have some rules on this. I remember talking to someone years ago in the GSMNP about it, he said they could Dynamite but not use a chainsaw. That said, I was camping/hiking at Deep Creek in the park and noticed several chain saw cleared areas on the trail. Could have been done illegally by the horse people.:confused:

There's a two week window in June(coincides with National Trail Day)where chain saws are used in the Park to clear trails.

Chaco Taco
11-30-2007, 22:23
Im ready to go trudging through the snow. I hope there is some after Christmas.

Dakota Dan
12-01-2007, 00:20
There's a two week window in June(coincides with National Trail Day)where chain saws are used in the Park to clear trails.

Wow, 800 miles of GSMNP trails in 2 weeks would be tough even in a good year. Unless, they keep on top of it with cross cut saws, etc, the rest of the year. They do an excellent job even with these ridiculous restrictions.

horicon
12-05-2007, 14:42
Snow is Great stuff!!!! Avalanche Lake in the Adirondacks. Great Backcountry Ski.

Tinker
12-06-2007, 01:30
Anywhere in the mountains - White, Green, doesn't make any difference. In the winter you don't need to get up real high to enjoy the views. I like to camp just below treeline - maybe watch the sun set or rise (or both). The stars are more brilliant in the dry winter air as well.

Snow camping is beautiful - often only sound is the "CRACK!" of the cold splitting trees or the hoot of an owl. I have some great memories...........:)