PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cities AT maintenance opportunity

mountain squid
11-08-2007, 13:37
On Saturday, 11/17, TN Eastman Hiking Club will be digging a trail relocation South of Iron Mt Gap on route 107. Several college groups are planning on helping.

It is about 1.5 mi hike to the planned relocation. Need to bring work gloves, sturdy shoes, multiple clothing layers, lunch and water (something to drink).

If anyone is interested send me a PM (mountain squid) or reply to this thread and I'll send you time/meeting place info via PM. Need to know who is coming to ensure adequate tools are available.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. I know there are alot of you in the general area, incl VA/NC. This is a good opportunity to give something back...hope to see you...

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 13:51
PM me the details please

Tennessee Viking
11-08-2007, 14:50
On Saturday, 11/17, TN Eastman Hiking Club will be digging a trail relocation South of Iron Mt Gap on route 107. Several college groups are planning on helping.

It is about 1.5 mi hike to the planned relocation. Need to bring work gloves, sturdy shoes, multiple clothing layers, lunch and water (something to drink).

If anyone is interested send me a PM (mountain squid) or reply to this thread and I'll send you time/meeting place info via PM. Need to know who is coming to ensure adequate tools are available.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. I know there are alot of you in the general area, incl VA/NC. This is a good opportunity to give something back...hope to see you...

I will be working that weekend. So have fun.

mtnkngxt
11-08-2007, 19:06
I'd be up for it if anyone could give me a lift from Wise Va. It's right on 23 on the way to the tri cities.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2007, 01:30
The meeting time in Colonial Heights in Kingsport will probably be 800-830 depending when the school group wants to arrive at Iron Mtn Gap. Second pickup will be in Johnson City. Then everyone else will be meeting at the Iron Mtn Gap trailhead.

Check with our Maintanence leader at [email protected]

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2007, 01:33

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Is this the flagged section on top of Little Bald Knob going into the new stuff we opened last Hardcore?

mountain squid
11-09-2007, 09:12
Check with our Maintanence leader at [email protected]

NO!!! If anyone is interested, send me (mountain squid) a PM or reply to this thread and I will send you meeting time/place info via PM.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Flush2wice
11-09-2007, 09:16

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Send me some info, I'll do my best to be there. Also let me know if there are any tools, equipment I could bring.

Flush2wice
11-12-2007, 10:07
Just wanted to get this thread back to the top. Any more volunteers?

mountain squid
11-14-2007, 11:36
Anyone else? anyone....anyone...

Yesterday, we were in the general area (Unaka Mt) working on the AT. It was in the 50s with a few rain drops. Last week on Unaka it was in the 30s. So, not sure what to expect on Saturday...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Sly
11-14-2007, 11:48
Just curious, why were you (mt squid) so emphatic about not contacting the TEHHC maintenance leader?

mountain squid
11-18-2007, 12:45
All went well yesterday. We didn't open the new section, but did complete several hundred feet of new trail. I've uploaded some photos into 'My Gallery'.

Thanks to all, incl Flush2wice from WB, who braved the elements (actually the weather was very cooperative).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Miss Janet
11-18-2007, 14:03
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19927&catid=member&imageuser=8692

She's the one in yellow with the red headband

Bob has tried for years to get a pulaski in my hands... and he doesn't even give me credit for my daughter Autumn going to help!! But I think she is a trooper and I am proud that she made it up Little Knob to work on this relo!

Sly
11-18-2007, 14:06
Three cheers for Autumn! Hip, Hip, Horay! And the other maintainers as well.

Miss Janet
11-18-2007, 20:59
I will tell her, Sly!
It was nice to see such a nice group there to work on the AT. One gentleman had a pack with patches showing his hours of trail work... maybe 15 patches totaling over 2,ooo hours. AMAZING!

Thanks to all of you who take the time to go out and do the dirty work!

Tennessee Viking
11-19-2007, 01:11
Just curious, why were you (mt squid) so emphatic about not contacting the TEHHC maintenance leader?
I was trying to send mtnkngxt general info on the meeting places for TEHCC outings. Message didn't post right.

This was Mtn Squid's thread to get people involved for the project. I didnt mean to take any credit away from him.

Sorry Squid if there was a mix up.

Tennessee Viking
11-19-2007, 01:15
All went well yesterday. We didn't open the new section, but did complete several hundred feet of new trail. I've uploaded some photos into 'My Gallery'.

Thanks to all, incl Flush2wice from WB, who braved the elements (actually the weather was very cooperative).

See you on the trail,
mt squid
What sections did you all get to work on? Was it the continuation of the hillside from Hard Core up Little Bald Knob?

Flush2wice
11-19-2007, 15:20
That was fun- there were probably 25 folks helping including students from ETSU and Appalachian. I think we got 450 feet of side hill dug. Thanks again for the heads-up on that Mt. Squid. BTW, when do they mail out our checks?

Sly
11-19-2007, 15:22
450 feet of sidehill? Oh, my aching back!!!!

mountain squid
11-19-2007, 19:55
when do they mail out our checks?
450' is what I heard also...unfortunately, as I understand it, monetary compensation is not given until 451' is completed...we were close...maybe next time...:rolleyes: :D

See you on the trail,
mt squid