PDA

View Full Version : nr. 1 favorite thing you do...

gaga
11-08-2007, 14:29
nr 1 favorite thing you do when hiking, backpacking and camping,the one thing that truly relaxes you ,entertains you,makes you feel good...

mountaineer
11-08-2007, 14:34
Build a campfire... and have cup of hot chocolate...

gold bond
11-08-2007, 14:35
After a long day of hiking, a good hot meal, a nice fire if there is an exsisting fire ring, a half cup of apricot brandy and good conversation.

MOWGLI
11-08-2007, 14:38
Let my mind wander, like the wild geese in the west.

mudhead
11-08-2007, 14:42
Watch water move.

gaga
11-08-2007, 14:45
Watch fire move.

taildragger
11-08-2007, 14:48
Sleeping on a scenic over look.

Makes waking up that much better, you might even say that you have something to LOOK forward to...

Cuffs
11-08-2007, 14:49
Watch water move.

thats what does it for me! I am just enthralled by water/water falls!

Mags
11-08-2007, 14:53
When on a social trip:
A campfire, a hot drink (with a dollop of something extra) and great conversations

When on a solo trip:
A journal, my thoughts and the wonder of being immersed in nature again

Littlest Hobo
11-08-2007, 14:55
nr 1 favorite thing you do when hiking, backpacking and camping,the one thing that truly relaxes you ,entertains you,makes you feel good...

The question is it's own answer, don't cha think?

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 14:56
I rarely camp near moving water anymore, but the SOUND of moving water is very relaxing. So is a campfire - I can sit and stare into one for hours.

Jim Adams
11-08-2007, 15:23
sit on a high overlook, sip whiskey and watch sunset....worth every minute no matter what the day was like!

geek

woodsy
11-08-2007, 15:28
Eating is my favorite thing to do, fishing is second favorite, and then eating the caught fish.

Manach
11-08-2007, 15:35
Praying.

jlb2012
11-08-2007, 15:38
dang - am I the only dirty old man here? get your mind into the gutter and that is the no. 1 thing to do while camping

wrongway_08
11-08-2007, 15:59
watch fire and listen to everyone bs'n about the nothing in general.

Disney
11-08-2007, 16:04
I always really enjoy the liberal application of gold bond medicated powder after a long day.

saimyoji
11-08-2007, 16:15
I usually hike solo...my favorite thing is to watch and listen.

Deadeye
11-08-2007, 16:16
watch fire and listen to everyone bs'n about the nothing in general.

That's me, too, except that for me, the really favorite thing is the walking.

maxNcathy
11-08-2007, 16:28
Meeting and chatting with hikers on the trail and at camp and in town.

Tipi Walter
11-08-2007, 16:43
So many of them, where to start?

Finding a great tent site
Setting up the tent is always a good rush
Fluffing and draping a down bag over the tent
Spending the night in a tent in the rain
The first day of a 15 day backpacking trip
Walking in a late afternoon beginning-swirlings of a winter snowstorm
Walking a snow-covered trail at midnight under a full moon

mudhead
11-08-2007, 18:11
1a. Listening to moving water.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2007, 18:19
dang - am I the only dirty old man here? get your mind into the gutter and that is the no. 1 thing to do while campingThere are some things which even my BA insulate AirCore doesn't provide enough padding to do comfortably...... and I want details on how you manage this in a hammock :D

My favorite things are:

talking with other hikers as we pass on the trail
sitting around a campfire on a nippy night (sorry LNT'ers - I still love to reek of woodsmoke)
doing my morning prayer and meditation in the quiet of the woods with a cup of cowboy coffee
watching the tiny wildlife - caterpillars and such - and the bigger animals
not seeing or hearing or smelling civilization

Huffy1
11-08-2007, 18:20

"Walking in a late afternoon beginning-swirlings of a winter snowstorm
Walking a snow-covered trail at midnight under a full moon"

Amen

LastHonestFool
11-08-2007, 18:44
building and watching a campfire

bull****ting with people about nothing

setting up camp, everything involved in that

just getting out and enjoying nature :)

Footslogger
11-08-2007, 18:48
Recalling the day in my journal, a good Aspercreme foot massage ...followed by a swig of spirits.

'Slogger

RockStar
11-08-2007, 19:02
I second the campfire and hot chocolate.

Also add: laying in my hammock all cozy and enjoying all outdoorsy sounds. Especially enjoy camping close enough to hear the water from a stream. :)

Tin Man
11-08-2007, 19:12
The sound and smell of a crackling fire.

The views of the earth, sky and stars.

The sounds of the woods and the creatures at night.

The sight of a youth group walking past my campsite, rather than into it.

doggiebag
11-08-2007, 19:27
Not necessarily in any order of preference but ... cocoa, campfire, if I'm on a summit - waiting for darkness to come so I can watch the towns and villages light up, a ciggy, more cocoa ... eat a frosted pop tart and snuggle with the dog.

KG4FAM
11-08-2007, 21:02
Laying in the hammock reading a book while looking out over one of the ponds in Maine is pretty good. Pulling out the pipe and having a smoke at the top of a mountain is also nice.

Marta
11-08-2007, 22:21
Watching water run over rocks

Looking at patches of moss and ferns

Seeing the tiny creatures of the forest, especially red efts

Breathing deeply of cold, thin air

Seeing shooting stars

Watching snowflakes fall on my sleeves as I walk

Taking off my shoes and putting up my feet at the end of the day

Warming my hands on a cup of hot tea

Eating as much as I want and just getting stronger, not fatter!!!

SC Ryan
11-08-2007, 22:41
check my email :-?

:eek:

jodestick
11-08-2007, 23:45
looking up at trees....with leaves or no leaves. i LOVE doing this!

Wonder
11-08-2007, 23:48
So, honestly....love under the stars. Nothing better then curing up with your sweetie at a campsite. Soooooo romantic

EWS
11-08-2007, 23:58
dang - am I the only dirty old man here? get your mind into the gutter and that is the no. 1 thing to do while camping

I'm not old, but that is where my mind immediately headed. Just let ground be some what soft without too many rocks around.

River Runner
11-09-2007, 00:35
I probably most enjoy being miles from anywhere with no way for anyone to get hold of me. Then, the sight of nature's beauty all around me, the sounds of rushing water or chirping crickets, and the feel of the sun shining down on a cool day or a cool breeze on a warm one. Mainly, just being immersed in nature.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2007, 00:52
I probably most enjoy being miles from anywhere with no way for anyone to get hold of me. Then, the sight of nature's beauty all around me, the sounds of rushing water or chirping crickets, and the feel of the sun shining down on a cool day or a cool breeze on a warm one. Mainly, just being immersed in nature.

That about says it all. Once you get addicted to this, there's no turning back.

Another thing I like to do is to take a small group of backpackers out to my favorite spots and watch their reactions to trail conditions, overlooks, creek crossings and waterfalls. Some weep openly on difficult inclines, others mock me and themselves and the whole experience, others love pumping nylon with a clear head supported by strong legs. I just laugh at it all cuz I know where we're going, how long it will take and where we will camp. Sometimes my best backpacking buddy Johnny B goes with us and we sit and talk of old trips in pristine places using vintage gear with funny people now just distant memories.

ed bell
11-09-2007, 00:59
I always loved waking up in my tent in the middle of the night to the sound of rain. The knowledge that I had nothing to worry about, coupled with the satisfaction of knowing I could sit tight as long as I would like is a feeling that is hard to identify with.:sun

Wanderingson
11-09-2007, 01:47
Here Ya Go:

#10 Unstrapping my boots after a long day and giving the dogs a little freedom. Oh the relief--giving them a slow rub down and saying thanks for carrying me to this far away place my friends.

#9 Finding a new way to improvise gear or find another method to use something mother nature has so graciously provided. The excitement of figuring out yet another way to become a little more self-sufficient.

#8 Watching a thunderstorm at night on a distant ridgeline--I call this mother nature's pyrotechnic fireworks show. I despise it when a thunderstorm is "danger close" though.

#7 Watching the sunset on a distant ridgeline--enjoying the changes in hue and the sun makes it's departure for the day.

#6 Watching the sunrise from on top of a summit. Something about seeing the sunrise from the highest peak is a really spiritual experience. Can't think of a better way to start the day.

#5 Listening to the birds chirp and the songbirds in the distance. Especially eagles in Alaska--the distant sreach is eiree, but magical.

#4 Listening to the wind wispering in the tall pines. It nautures musical harmony of the winds and it's nautral instruments. Who needs that MP3 player when you have this type of music?

#3 Listening to the water cascading over polished rocks as it makes it's way to lower lands before settling down to a slower pace of a wider river.

#2 Laying back during a new moon and marveling at the night sky. Something about watching satellites tracking across the vast openess of space is an amazing sight. Throw in a few shooting stars and Nature has provided the best TV channel going.

And the Number one thing to do in the wilderness:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL

Cosmic Crusader
11-09-2007, 02:10
Looking out across a vast distance and knowing I will walk to the mts or valley off in the distance...

catscastle
11-09-2007, 03:12
What Hog on Ice said beside the fire

Pennsylvania Rose
11-09-2007, 14:19
In addition watching a fire and flowing water:

walking through a frost-covered forest in the early morning
playing in creeks
flipping over rocks and logs to see what lives there
my kids and I getting to know each other as equals
identifying plants
watching changes in the forest ecosystem on different parts of a mountain
imagining what a place was like 500 years ago
looking at the sky when I get up in the middle of a clear night

RadioFreq
11-09-2007, 14:34
On a cloudy/rainy night lying in my hammock reading a good book and just listening.
On a clear night lying on a beach/meadow staring at the stars and watching the satellites go by.

:) T minus 15.75 months.....and counting :)

Nightwalker
11-10-2007, 05:38

Finding a great tent site
Setting up the tent is always a good rush
Fluffing and draping a down bag over the tent
Spending the night in a tent in the rain
The first day of a 15 day backpacking trip
Walking in a late afternoon beginning-swirlings of a winter snowstorm
Walking a snow-covered trail at midnight under a full moon

Sitting by a fire with Tipi Walter, 2-Speed and the Rock family ain't a bad thing at all.

When by myself: Talking to my dog like she's actually gonna talk back, and reading until I'm sleepy.

mrc237
11-10-2007, 06:03
Sit down, lay back and think: GRATITUDE!

TOW
11-10-2007, 06:56
On the most part the hike itself is relaxing...........

wrongway_08
11-10-2007, 21:41
On a cloudy/rainy night lying in my hammock reading a good book and just listening.
On a clear night lying on a beach/meadow staring at the stars and watching the satellites go by.

:) T minus 15.75 months.....and counting :)

........ 3 months, 20 days, 3 hours, 44-43-42-41 sec!

DG_on_AT
11-10-2007, 22:08
My favorites?

The sound of silence.
The crackle and pop of a fire.
A steaming hot green tea before anyone else in camp is awake in the morning.
A cloudless, full moon night on a southern Appalachian bald.

Programbo
11-10-2007, 22:18
I shall skip answering as almost everything has been covered but I just wanted to reply and say that the answers from everyone I have read are very encouraging and show me the spirit of the AT is alive and well in this new generation of hikers :)

Tipi Walter
11-11-2007, 10:16
Sitting by a fire with Tipi Walter, 2-Speed and the Rock family ain't a bad thing at all.

When by myself: Talking to my dog like she's actually gonna talk back, and reading until I'm sleepy.

Yes, good memories. I think your dog and my dog exchanged greetings, too.

Lyle
11-11-2007, 11:14
One thing that has always been important to me on a Social type hike is the completely free and equal interaction among the generations. Tho I have now reached the "old fart" classification, this was comforting to me even when I was much younger. There aren't many places where the generations interact so completly and effortlessly then on a trail or at trail events.

When on a solo, most of what was already said applies, with the addition of climbing into my sleeping bag when I've gotten just a bit chilled in the evening, and feeling the warmth slowly penetrate - knowing that soon I will be snug for the night. Add to that a night rain shower and nothing is cozier. Well, almost nothing...

ScottP
11-11-2007, 13:58
Walk.

(And now this post is an acceptable length)

Cloudwalker
11-11-2007, 14:31
The art of building a fire. The fire itself is great but when you put all of those ingredients together and get a roaring fire going, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm crazy that way:D

Freeleo
11-11-2007, 14:36
listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul:sun

Press
11-11-2007, 22:49
Drink tea. Like George Harrison.

Tinker
11-11-2007, 22:52
Number 1 for me is climbing into my hammock, so I'll go for number 2 -

Heating up a cup of good Sake after dinner.:banana

Hurley
11-14-2007, 00:57
Being in the woods during golden hour. The time between 5 and 7 when the sun starts to go down.

Gaiter
11-14-2007, 09:10
during the day, i really do love hiking by my self (and w/ dog), but when i get to a camp or shelter i love being around and talking w/ other hikers. thats one thing i didn't like about the sobo section i just did, the last of the sobo's were coming through, i knew it was the weekend when i would see people that weren't driving by on a road or in town, 75% of my nights i spent by myself, it did allow for good thinking time, but sometimes it was too much thinking time.

nitewalker
11-14-2007, 09:29
kick back and see what good ol mother nature has in store for the evening. this is the start of my mind just wandering aimlessly between thought after thought.. and boy o boy does the mind wander, from the pearly gates to the gutter:eek: and back......peace

Critterman
11-14-2007, 17:02
observing nature especially all creatures great and small

Sly
11-14-2007, 17:40
Habe a smoke...

warraghiyagey
11-14-2007, 18:58
Habe a smoke...

:) :) :) . . . . .

walkin' wally
11-14-2007, 20:31
I don't think anyone mentioned swimming. My favorite. Like at Pierce Pond or Rainbow Lake. I sleep very well after that. :sun

Bare Bear
11-15-2007, 15:08
There are many good reasons for a fire being called "hiker tv"....but I like talking to my fellow hikers, interviewing them even about family, back home, what do you hope to accomplish, etc. Hmmmmmm maybe Shasta was right.:)