PDA

View Full Version : Army Recruitment Thru Hike in 1973???

Todd Heyn
11-08-2007, 19:13
I met a man last night that said he had thruhiked when he was in the Army as part of a recruitment drive. I am a perpetual skeptic but this guy has not been know to stray to far from the truth. Can anyone shed some light on this? Just curious if anyone know about this. He said that about 24 guys started the trail in GA and only 8 finished in Maine.

Any information that you can shed on this would be an asset.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2007, 19:28
First I've ever heard of it, but who knows?

You'd think it would have been mentioned or written about by now somewhere....

Todd Heyn
11-08-2007, 19:41
You'd think it would have been mentioned or written about by now somewhere....

That is why I am asking.

rafe
11-08-2007, 19:41
What does it mean to do a "recruitment drive" on the trail? Were they attempting to recruit hikers that they met along the way? Or was this a hike undertaken by new recruits? I'm puzzled. Hmm. 1973... Vietnam... recruits...

Todd Heyn
11-08-2007, 19:47
From the way he described it, the hike was sponsored by the Army to recruit new recruits from both hikers and in the towns along the way. Much the same way they do promotional tours with their band and the golden knights. Just another tool in their recruitment tool box.

This was not a hike for the new recruits.

Cookerhiker
11-08-2007, 19:54
The reason I don't think it's too far-fetched is that 1973 was the transition year from the draft to the all-volunteer army. The draft ended either in '72 or '73. Perhaps the army was very creative in looking at the potential pool of recruits and thought outdoors-types were receptive.

But back then there weren't that many thruhikers. Guess they were looking for any type of hikers.

Tin Man
11-08-2007, 19:55
1973 was the end of the draft.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2007, 20:08
I did a search for this and found a number of newspaper articles from 1973 - mostly from newspapers in towns along the trail. The sites had a synopsis of the articles, but require a paid subscription to access the articles. It appears this may have actually happened.

1973 was the first year the draft ended so all branches of the military were likely a bit unsure how to go about recruiting. Since the Vietnam war did not end until 1975 and the number per capita willing to join voluntarily was at the second lowest point in history in 1973 (the fewest ever per capita was in 2006), I imagine some creative techniques were attempted.

The Vietnam War ended for all practical purposes in 1973 as Tin Man notes - the official end is April 30, 1975

rickb
11-08-2007, 20:58
Warren Doyle was hiking back then, I think. Perhaps he remembers.

Kirby
11-08-2007, 21:58
S. Rock may know, he has been in the military for a good amount of time, from what I understand. Perhaps someone who is currently in the military can look into this more, this is quite fascinating.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2007, 22:02
SgtRock was about six in 1973 so I'm guessing he doesn't remember.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2007, 22:09
I met a man last night that said he had thruhiked when he was in the Army as part of a recruitment drive. I am a perpetual skeptic but this guy has not been know to stray to far from the truth. Can anyone shed some light on this? Just curious if anyone know about this. He said that about 24 guys started the trail in GA and only 8 finished in Maine.

Any information that you can shed on this would be an asset.

Thanks in advance!!!

buncha BS :D

Brushy Sage
11-08-2007, 22:17
I was in Vietnam at the time, and it didn't make the news over there. The Army was experimenting with a lot of programs to enhance recruiting for the all volunteer force, so it might well have happened.