PDA

View Full Version : Yeah another backpacking thread!!!

taildragger
11-08-2007, 19:14
Alright, my GF has decided to join me for 30+ days on the PCT and she's in need of gear and on a budget. As of now she sans everything. I think I can help her through most of her choices but what she's stumping me on is the backpack.

I don't think that she's going to be the lightest hiker (i.e. she's gonna want some luxury items like a tent and pillow). So, I don't know what kinda pack she should be looking at. I'm trying to keep it as light and small as possible, but it needs to be inexpensive if need be. Seeing as this is also her start into hiking.

So, what can be said about some of the more inexpensive packs? Is anyone still making externals that are worth looking at? If theres a store that carries them near the Hudson Valley or Tri-state area that would be awesome (other than campmor, she cannot go due to work)

AT-HITMAN2005
11-08-2007, 19:42
work on getting the things that are going in the pack and then find one that will carry it all. that way she won't have a giant pack thats a bunch of wasted space or a too small pack thats not big enough for everything.

taildragger
11-08-2007, 20:04
work on getting the things that are going in the pack and then find one that will carry it all. that way she won't have a giant pack thats a bunch of wasted space or a too small pack thats not big enough for everything.

I have a pretty good idea of whats going in, I'm thinking that somewhere near the 4000 CI mark (should be able to hold food from Kennedy Meadows to Vermillion)

As far as what she's carrying, think of two pairs zip pants, shirt (maybe two), base layer, 12 days food, 2-4 litres water, 20*F Campmor (or EMS) down sleeping bag, MSR Hubba (or similiar weight tent), foam pad etc...

I'd say that she's staying light, just not ultralight.

Blissful
11-08-2007, 20:14
Lots of women were carrying the Osprey packs on the trail this year. Might take a look at them, though they aren't the cheapest but people like them. I had a cheap external frame pack once that I got from Campmor long ago and hated it. It was my first pack. You could go with Lowes internal which are getting cheaper but they are pretty heavy. Might check out Sierra Trading post for any deals.

shelterbuilder
11-08-2007, 20:56
Alright, my GF has decided to join me for 30+ days on the PCT and she's in need of gear and on a budget. As of now she sans everything. I think I can help her through most of her choices but what she's stumping me on is the backpack.

I don't think that she's going to be the lightest hiker (i.e. she's gonna want some luxury items like a tent and pillow). So, I don't know what kinda pack she should be looking at. I'm trying to keep it as light and small as possible, but it needs to be inexpensive if need be. Seeing as this is also her start into hiking.

So, what can be said about some of the more inexpensive packs? Is anyone still making externals that are worth looking at? If theres a store that carries them near the Hudson Valley or Tri-state area that would be awesome (other than campmor, she cannot go due to work)

I agree with the others who have said to get her gear and then get the pack to fit the gear. Having said that, have you considered looking for a pack on eBay? You might get lucky on size, fit, and price...or not.

You mention the Hudson Valley/Tri-state area; Eureka/CampTrails used to have a factory store in Binghamton (I believe on NY 7, south and west of the city),; it's been a while since I was there, but they used to have frame packs (some new, some used but warranted). I know that's not exactly around the corner from the Tri-state area, but it's a thought.

skar578
11-08-2007, 22:52
ems rents packs out for only a couple dollars, and that way she can see if she likes backpacking without shelling out a couple hundred total.

taildragger
11-09-2007, 10:04
Okay, so maybe the point of this question is being missed. I was looking at what packs to be looking at (i.e. don't get a _____ they have crappy craftsmanship, or ____ doesn't stand behind they're products)

I have an idea of what she will be carrying, and I feel that I can replicate that with the gear that I have already. So, as far as volume, and weight carried, I think that I can somewhat cover that base.

Thanks for the idea about EMS, unfortunately we won't be able to go out and hike before we move to some relatively unfriendly backpacking areas.

Oklahoma and Dallas have never had good hiking stores, at least IMHO (not for long distance hiking at least). So, I was trying to nip those issues that are easily solved up here, the pack wouldn't be purchased until everything else is ready, and will probably be ebayed or bought off of the forum if possible. Like I said, I just want to try on what will be hard to try on at a later date.

EWS
11-09-2007, 10:23
REI and Campmor both carry cheap packs and you can return them no-hassle even if she uses them. backcountryoutlet.com and sierratradingpost.com have some decent sales, but IIRC you'll need to return it as new. If you don't care if the pack is junk, then buy the cheapest thing you can find, that seems about right. Otherwise I don't know what you're asking.

taildragger
11-09-2007, 10:43
REI and Campmor both carry cheap packs and you can return them no-hassle even if she uses them. backcountryoutlet.com and sierratradingpost.com have some decent sales, but IIRC you'll need to return it as new. If you don't care if the pack is junk, then buy the cheapest thing you can find, that seems about right. Otherwise I don't know what you're asking.

Well, I thought that some of the lighter packs were more inexpensive, as where some of the lesser known brands. I have seen some mountainsmiths on sale (I saw a fair number of ghosts this summer on the AT) and was really going to start looking into them. The main point is to go, stuff the bag, put it on, feel how she rides, then scour the net looking for a good deal.

I'm a sale fanatic and refuse to buy things at full price, or for less than 30% off...

I'd also seens some deals on the Gregory packs (like the G) and thought that they might be a good option, maybe too small though for the stretch to Vermillion though... and I would love to try out something ULA (mainly for myself), I might be going to Damascus on my way back home to check out some of there packs there (and its a more scenic drive than Indiana...)

LIhikers
11-09-2007, 19:16
If theres a store that carries them near the Hudson Valley or Tri-state area that would be awesome (other than campmor, she cannot go due to work)

If she can get to Wurtsboro, NY I'll suggest the Hiking Shack. I know it's not exactly the Hudson Valley, but it's close.

Lilred
11-09-2007, 22:49
I have the Kelty Trekker external pack ST (short torso) and I really liked it when I used it. I would still use it for cold weather hiking, and I think it retails for around $90. Kelty still makes a good pack