PDA

View Full Version : The best section in the south?

valleyfire
11-09-2007, 00:51
Hello everyone. I am planning a four night hike next fall. I wanted your suggestions. If you could only make one more hike, where in the south(GA,NC,TN) would you take a four night hike. I'm looking to get the absolute most out of five days. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Rentman
11-09-2007, 00:59
If I had 5 days to hike in the South....................I would have to say the Smokies.....Great Views, Great Hiking, Great Wildlife, Shelters that are only about 8 miles apart.............................Can't beat the looks at NewFound Gap from all the Tourist too:eek:

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2007, 01:15
If it wasn't so dry I would suggest doing Carvers Gap to Sams Gap. You will get to hike 3 1/2 major mountains rangesl; Roan, Unaka, Bald, and the 1/2 being Flattop.

Another good one would probably be Devils Fork Gap to Max Patch. Camp Creek and Cold Spring are some of the largest peaks on the Bald Mountains. Then you can hike along the cliffs of the French Broad into Hot Springs. Max Patch is probably the best scenary in the area.

If you don't mind tourists, the Smokies will be packed with day hikers and tourists wanting to see the fall leaves. Just remember to register for camping.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 10:17
Hot Springs to Erwin - either direction - would be nice. The highlight is Big Bald but there are other viewpoints as well. Either direction you finish the hike descending down to a picturesque river to a friendly trail town.

maxNcathy
11-09-2007, 10:56
I really liked the hike north from Standing Indian Mountain Shelter.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 10:59
Hello everyone. I am planning a four night hike next fall. I wanted your suggestions. If you could only make one more hike, where in the south(GA,NC,TN) would you take a four night hike. I'm looking to get the absolute most out of five days. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Newfound Gap to Hot Springs

Jim Adams
11-09-2007, 11:33
Erwin to Elk Park...no doubts!

geek

earlyriser26
11-09-2007, 11:39
All the suggestions are good, but for a taste of everything I would go with this one. Plus you avoid the big climb into the smokies.

greentick
11-09-2007, 12:13
Just did Newfound Gap to Leconte to Davenport Gap last week. Absolutely outstanding. Negatives already mentioned: scads of dayhikers when withing 5 miles of a road, have to reserve and stay at shelters which were full on 2 of the nights. The positives outweighed the negs by far tho...

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 12:41
Just did Newfound Gap to Leconte to Davenport Gap last week. Absolutely outstanding. Negatives already mentioned: scads of dayhikers when withing 5 miles of a road, have to reserve and stay at shelters which were full on 2 of the nights. The positives outweighed the negs by far tho...

the best time to do that section is after Labor Day and before leaf peeping. Sgt. Rock and I did it mid-September. Only saw 4 people in 3 days. had 2 shelter areas to ourselves

rafe
11-09-2007, 14:14
the best time to do that section is after Labor Day and before leaf peeping. Sgt. Rock and I did it mid-September. Only saw 4 people in 3 days. had 2 shelter areas to ourselves

That's pretty much the best time to do any section...

BlackCloud
11-09-2007, 18:24
That's pretty much the best time to do any section...

I find mid January to be better myself.....

Dakota Dan
11-09-2007, 21:04
I like pretty much any sections of the GSMNP to Max Patch, but it's usually crowded. Another route I really like is from Deep Gap to Wayah Bald, or from Dicks Creek (if the access road to Deep Gap hasn't opened yet.).

ed bell
11-09-2007, 21:27
A better question may be: What sections down south should I ignore if considering a 4-5 day hike in fall?:D:sun

valleyfire
11-12-2007, 17:16
Another good one would probably be Devils Fork Gap to Max Patch. Camp Creek and Cold Spring are some of the largest peaks on the Bald Mountains. Then you can hike along the cliffs of the French Broad into Hot Springs. Max Patch is probably the best scenary in the area.

Where is max patch, how do I access it?

Flush2wice
11-12-2007, 17:32
To get to the AT Trailhead at Max Patch:From Asheville take I-40 West to exit #7. This is the Harmon Den exit which turns into a gravel road right after the exit. Turn right and go up the hill for 20-30 minutes. I think there are signs near the top. There's a parking lot up there too.

Rain Man
11-13-2007, 01:54
All the suggestions so far have been great, but if it were me, I'd start at the beginning and hike north to wherever your daily mileage takes you.

Amicalola Falls State Park (approach trail) to Neels Gap would be a good 4-5 day hike, and you'd get to see what all the thru-hike starters see. But also, it's got waterfalls, shelters, mountain views, and very few road crossings.

Rain:sunMan

Blue Jay
11-13-2007, 16:25
I would say McAfee/Tinker Cliffs or the Grayson Highlands. You do either one, I believe you would be forced to eventually do the entire trail.

Nearly Normal
11-13-2007, 17:32
Depends on the miles you want to do daily.
Start at Springer Mountain and go north. Lots of options to get on and off depending on miles. Contact the Hiker Hostel for details on parking and shuttles.

The Foothills Trail would probably be the most secnic with lots of water. Include the Chattooga river section for a highlight. Good Guide and Map. Contact FTC for shuttles.

Nearly Normal

valleyfire
11-15-2007, 14:48
I would say McAfee/Tinker Cliffs or the Grayson Highlands. You do either one, I believe you would be forced to eventually do the entire trail.

Hey Blue Jay, Where exactly is McAfee/Tinker Cliffs and the Grayson Highlands

valleyfire
11-15-2007, 14:50
Depends on the miles you want to do daily.
Start at Springer Mountain and go north. Lots of options to get on and off depending on miles. Contact the Hiker Hostel for details on parking and shuttles.

The Foothills Trail would probably be the most secnic with lots of water. Include the Chattooga river section for a highlight. Good Guide and Map. Contact FTC for shuttles.

Nearly Normal

Where would the best spot to get onto the Foothills Trail

Thoughtful Owl
11-15-2007, 15:38
I'm not Blue Jay, but this area is in Virginia. One of the best :bananaareas on the trail.

Mocs123
11-15-2007, 15:41
Roan Highlands?

Grayson Highlands?

Max Patch?

Smokies?

So many good ones, I dont think you would be unhappy with any of them.

barefoot
11-15-2007, 17:21
Roan Mountain to Watagua Lake. You have the views, balds, waterfalls, deep woods, nice shelters, etc

Blissful
11-15-2007, 19:00

Yep, good one, esp if you have good weather. We had super weather. And a side trip to Mt. Leconte I've heard is nice.

Nearly Normal
11-15-2007, 19:36

Check Trail Journals.
E-mail me if you want.

Dakota Dan
11-15-2007, 21:33

The entire trail is only 70-74 miles total. Just start at either Table Rock SP off Hwy 11 in Greenville County SC or Oconee SP off Hwy 107 in Oconee County SC. If you only want to do a few days then go from Rocky Bottom,SC to Whitewater Falls,NC. on the FHT.

Nearly Normal
11-15-2007, 21:45
Buy the Guide and map. The FTC site and some outfitters have it or can get it.
There are plenty of access points to hike any distance or days you want.
I highy suggest you include the river section (Chattooga). It is probably the most secnic contiuous 10-15 miles (depending on where you go in) in the southeast.

Nearly Normal

whitefoot_hp
11-15-2007, 22:13
i didn't find the FHT to be as flattering as some AT sections, personally though. not so many mountain top views, with the exception of table rock, but plenty of nice streams and waterfalls.