PDA

View Full Version : AT along shenandoah

Ronnen
11-09-2007, 05:31
I am going to hike the AT along the Shenandoah park.
How can I get from Dulles airport to front royal by either public transportation or a rented car (dropped at front royal)?
How can I return to Washington DC after finishing the hike?

nitewalker
11-09-2007, 06:35
i usually hitch its cheaper. most of the people out there are cool. i hitched 78 miles last week in the park...good luck

Cosmic Crusader
11-09-2007, 09:30
when are you going out?

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 10:09
There's no public transportation from Dulles to Shenandoah. Your best bet is arranging a ride from someone on the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Sept%20%2010_2007.pdf).

Other possibilities: take one of the van/bus services into DC and take AMTRAK to Harpers Ferry and then arrange a shuttle - this will take longer. Another option is AMTRAK to Charlottesville, shuttle or cab to the Trail at Rockfish Gap, and hike Shenadoah northbound.

2 AMTRAK trains stop at Charlottesville: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct07/P50.pdf
http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct07/P19.pdf

Good luck in your planning.

Skyline
11-09-2007, 10:12
You will have a very difficult time finding a one-way rental from Dulles to Front Royal. If you do, it will cost a LOT. Now, if you were to keep the rental and return it to Dulles that might be an available option, but also expensive.

There is no regularly scheduled public transportation up and down the Shenandoah Valley since Greyhound left in 2005.

Part of the reason commercial operators (taxi, limo, shuttle) charge so much for shuttles involving the DC area airports is because of the traffic congestion there, and the hassles present within the airports themselves. Shuttles that might cost only $125 +/- based on mileage wind up costing closer to $200+ because of the time involved.

Not sure where you're flying into Dulles from, but would Amtrak make any sense for you? Local drivers have shuttled folks from the Amtrak station in Culpeper to Front Royal (US522) or Luray (Thornton Gap/US211) for just a little more than a third of what a Dulles shuttle would cost. Even if you were to take the airport shuttle to the Vienna Metro Station, and get from there to Amtrak in Union Station and then out to Culpeper--you would probably be way ahead financially.

If interested, check out Rodman's website at: www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com). There you can learn about services, rate structures, and more including parking and camping options pre-hike or post-hike that might save you motel costs.

BTW with winter approaching, Skyline Drive will once again be subject to weather-related closings and during hunting season portions will be closed overnight. However, hiking trails remain open. The shuttle service linked to can get hikers into/out of the Park via shuttles to/from boundary access points that don't involve Skyline Drive.

Skyline
11-09-2007, 10:15
There's no public transportation from Dulles to Shenandoah. Your best bet is arranging a ride from someone on the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Sept%20%2010_2007.pdf).

Other possibilities: take one of the van/bus services into DC and take AMTRAK to Harpers Ferry and then arrange a shuttle - this will take longer. Another option is AMTRAK to Charlottesville, shuttle or cab to the Trail at Rockfish Gap, and hike Shenadoah northbound.

2 AMTRAK trains stop at Charlottesville: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct07/P50.pdf
http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct07/P19.pdf

Good luck in your planning.

Cookerhiker,

See post below yours. Amtrak at Culpeper is more conveniently located to the AT between Front Royal or near Luray, and thus the shuttle is less expensive. But if Amtrak is feasible, you're right--it's the way to go.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-09-2007, 10:20
I am going to hike the AT along the Shenandoah park.
How can I get from Dulles airport to front royal by either public transportation or a rented car (dropped at front royal)?
How can I return to Washington DC after finishing the hike?
Enterprise Rental serves both Dulles and Front Royal.

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 10:24
Cookerhiker,

See post below yours. Amtrak at Culpeper is more conveniently located to the AT between Front Royal or near Luray, and thus the shuttle is less expensive. But if Amtrak is feasible, you're right--it's the way to go.

I suggested Charlottesville/Rockfish Gap assuming he wanted to hike all of SNP from one end to another.

I know of an active WBer who may read this post, lives around Ruckersville closer to Charlottesville than Culpeper, and might be available for a shuttle.

Skyline
11-09-2007, 10:25
Enterprise Rental serves both Dulles and Front Royal.

Worth checking out. They did not use to offer one-way rentals to the Valley, but if they do now it would be an option. I'm guessing they charge a hefty premium for that if they do offer it, because frankly the possibility of them being able to rent that vehicle dropped off in Front Royal is small (they would have to get it back to Dulles or some other high-volume location).

Skyline
11-09-2007, 10:28
I suggested Charlottesville/Rockfish Gap assuming he wanted to hike all of SNP from one end to another.

I know of an active WBer who may read this post, lives around Ruckersville closer to Charlottesville than Culpeper, and might be available for a shuttle.

Cool.

A person such as your friend is almost always going to be a less expensive option than a commercial shuttle service which is typically available 7 days a week, at least 12 hours per day. If he or she is available when the shuttle is needed, that might be the best option money-wise.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2007, 10:33
I did a long hitchiking trip to DC from Asheville NC back in '88 with an old GF and we carried full packs and slept in a VE24 knockoff tent(Windy Pass)in treelines, parks, along the AT and in the Shenandoah the whole way.

The DC area is a miserable place to hitch, there's a lot of walking involved and the beltways around the city are murder. Once in the city and on foot things turned out great as it's a perfect city to be foot-propelled.

We hitched out of DC to the Front Royal area where we entered the park which was closed for the season(early March)and so we had the trails to ourselves. No cars and I can't remember seeing a single other backpacker. In the beginning of our journey on our way up we hitched to Wytheville and entered the Park from the southern side and got caught in a terrible winter windstorm at Marys Rock where a tree fell on the tent. Old story. We did have a great hitch to Luray for supplies afterwards and then left the Park to hitch to Yogaville(Swami Satchidananda's place)for a 10 day retreat before heading back up to DC.

Alot of off-topic stuff and oops, I'm on the Straight Forward thread . . .

rsmall
11-09-2007, 10:35
My son and I flew into Dulles in mid-September, rented a car for one week from Alamo rentals for $271 (unlimited mileage) plus gas and drove to the Rockfish Gap Info Center near Waynesboro. We parked the car in their parking lot (you must let them know) adjacent to several other cars parked there by other hikers. After hiking for four days we collected the car, drove back to Dulles and flew home to Dallas. Expensive, but you set your own schedule and don't have to worry about anything but the hike. If you can afford it I recommend you consider this option.

Grandpa Bob

Blissful
11-09-2007, 10:36

It would depend on the day and time, etc. - so I can't totally commit unless I know approx. that - but if the timing works out, we live north of Charlottesville and could shuttle from Afton mountain to the bus / train station in Charlottesville if you pay the gas money (where the southern part of the AT in Shenandoah exits).

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 10:38
It would depend on the day and time, etc. - so I can't totally commit unless I know approx. that - but if the timing works out, we live north of Charlottesville and could shuttle from Afton mountain to the bus / train station in Charlottesville if you pay the gas money (where the southern part of the AT in Shenandoah exits).

That sounds great... and you weren't the WBer I had in mind!:)

Ronnen
11-10-2007, 07:07
Many thanks for your replies.

Here are some details:
Me and my son are flying to dulles from Israel on June 21, 2008.

We intend to hike all or most of the AT along shenandoah.
How long will it take?

Next, we are going to spend a few days in DC, flying back to
Israel on Jult 7.

Ronnen
11-10-2007, 07:11
Are the prices of the shulltes quoted are per person or per drive?

The Amtrak way will cost twice for 2 persons.
Will it still be cheeper?

Skyline
11-10-2007, 11:27
Are the prices of the shulltes quoted are per person or per drive?

The Amtrak way will cost twice for 2 persons.
Will it still be cheeper?

Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service charges the same price for up to four hikers plus gear. Not sure about other shuttle operators.

When you figure in DC Metro and Amtrak fares x 2, both ways, maybe it's close to being about the same price as a shuttle direct from Dulles to SNP. Close anyway. Figure about $200 from Dulles to northern SNP (up to four hikers), and probably closer to $300 from the Waynesboro area to DC. Trail angels and such would cost less; these are commercial prices; some "angels" have decent availabilities and are reliable, but in my experience many are limited in availabilities and are not as reliable if you are on a tight itinerary which you seem to be.

You can go online and find out about the Amtrak costs at www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com). For the hike you're considering, if you use Amtrak, I would take the "Crescent" train (operates seven days) from DC to Culpeper and let M&V Shuttle pick you up there, and drive you to their FREE basecamp for shuttle clients to spend the night (train gets in early evening if it's on time, kinda late to get started hiking anyway). Next morning, they could drive you to the US522 trailhead near Front Royal so you could start hiking south on the AT.

At the end point of your hike (Rockfish Gap or somewhere in the SNP South District, I presume), you could arrange with a shuttle operator in either Waynesboro or Charlottesville to get you to the Amtrak station in Charlottesville. M&V Shuttle could do that one, too, but I'm thinking a shuttle operator closer to your end point would be less expensive. The "Crescent" stops in Cville early morning seven days so you'd have to get up very early. Another train, the "Cardinal," operates eastbound on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (only) at more convenient times--departing Cville for DC mid-afternoon.

When you've done your DC things, it's really easy via public transportation to get out to Dulles.

nitewalker
11-10-2007, 11:49
Many thanks for your replies.

Here are some details:
Me and my son are flying to dulles from Israel on June 21, 2008.

We intend to hike all or most of the AT along shenandoah.
How long will it take?

Next, we are going to spend a few days in DC, flying back to
Israel on Jult 7.

i just got back from a hike thru the shenandoahs. i did 75 of the 101 miles thru the park[ monday thru thursday].. i packed rather lite the whole time and did big mileage the first day:( [spent]:( .. i had the luxury of all the waysides being open to buy food when i needed it allowing myself to really not pack much food at all. my pack for the trip never weighed more than 20lbs or so....if your a good hiker you can average 20 mi easily thru the park=5 days of good hiking..if not a good hiker allow 7 days to go thru the park....peace out, nitewalker:D

Blissful
11-10-2007, 12:46
We will be gone that time of year - its my husband's summer vacation time so I can't help with a shuttle, sorry.

ScottP
11-10-2007, 17:28
I'd recommend taking the train from DC to Harper's Ferry and arranging a shuttle from one of the Harper's Ferry area hostels, or hitchhiking to front royal.

From the south end, I believe that there are two cities with greyhound stations within hitching distance of Wayensboro/Rockfish Gap. You could also hitch back up to Front Royal.

Critterman
11-11-2007, 10:41
For those of you that have a choice of airports consider taking Reagan National or even BWI.
If you arrive at Reagan National then it is possibly to take the Metro ( subway ) from the airport to the Franconia- Springfield station in Springfield Va ( the blue line, don't even have to change trains ). The station is very close to the Greyhound station. You can walk it or take a cab. There is a bus from Springfield to Charlottesville ( that takes about 3 hours and costs $25 ) then from there you could get a shuttle to the trail. If you hike to Harpers Ferry you can take Amtrak ( $11) or the MARC train ( $9) back to Union Station in Washington then the metro from Union Station to the airport.
From BWI in Baltimore take the MARC train to Union station ( $6) in Washington then the Metro to Sprinfield and the Greyhound as above. On the return take Marc fron Union station back to BWI.
From Dulles you can take a cab to the nearest Metro station (Vienna Metro station in Fairfax VA) for probably $30 then take Metro to Springfield then as above.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 12:57
For those of you that have a choice of airports consider taking Reagan National or even BWI.
If you arrive at Reagan National then it is possibly to take the Metro ( subway ) from the airport to the Franconia- Springfield station in Springfield Va ( the blue line, don't even have to change trains ). The station is very close to the Greyhound station. You can walk it or take a cab. There is a bus from Springfield to Charlottesville ( that takes about 3 hours and costs $25 ) then from there you could get a shuttle to the trail. If you hike to Harpers Ferry you can take Amtrak ( $11) or the MARC train ( $9) back to Union Station in Washington then the metro from Union Station to the airport.
From BWI in Baltimore take the MARC train to Union station ( $6) in Washington then the Metro to Sprinfield and the Greyhound as above. On the return take Marc fron Union station back to BWI.
From Dulles you can take a cab to the nearest Metro station (Vienna Metro station in Fairfax VA) for probably $30 then take Metro to Springfield then as above.

From Dulles instead of that $30 cab ride, take the Washington Flyer (http://www.washfly.com/) bus to the Falls Church Metro.

Skyline
11-11-2007, 16:07
From Dulles instead of that $30 cab ride, take the Washington Flyer (http://www.washfly.com/) bus to the Falls Church Metro.

That Washington Flyer option is quite a find! Thanks! It opens up several possibilities no matter how one chooses to eventually get out to SNP. I know at least one shuttle operator :sun who would love to pick up clients at the West Falls Church Metro instead of Dulles, and despite the higher miles I'd bet he'd consider doing it for less $$$.

Ronnen
11-12-2007, 00:50
How many $$$ from there?

how many $$$ from Harpers Ferry?

Skyline
11-12-2007, 11:04
How many $$$ from there?

how many $$$ from Harpers Ferry?

I could only take a guess, but for a real quote you should send an e-mail with itinerary to: [email protected] or call (540) 743-1355.

Lrg 50KR
11-12-2007, 17:24
I live in Richmond and may be able you out with a ride around that time. Send me a private message as time gets close and we can see what can be done.

-Tod

Ronnen
11-16-2007, 05:12
Thank you all for the valuable information shared with me.

After checking all the options, it seems that the cheapest and fastest way to go from
Washington to Shenandoah is by a rented car from Enterprise (about $80).

If I choose to stay the next day in Front Royal and rest from my long trip (more than 24 hours on the way), which places do you recommend visiting in Front Royal area?

Cookerhiker
11-16-2007, 11:18

After checking all the options, it seems that the cheapest and fastest way to go from

If I choose to stay the next day in Front Royal and rest from my long trip (more than 24 hours on the way), which places do you recommend visiting in Front Royal area?

There's always Civil War battlefields if that's your thing; it's not mine. Perhaps other WBers can chime in here.

How about a canoe trip on the Shenandoah? Your choices range from half day to full day to overnight. The river is mild i.e. little whitewater. Here are some outfitters:

Downriver Canoe Company (http://www.downriver.com/)
Front Royal Canoe Co. (http://www.frontroyalcanoe.com/)

Have a good trip!

Skyline
11-16-2007, 14:27

Nearby Luray has a lot to offer. You can download their visitors guide by going to www.luraypage.com (http://www.luraypage.com). Under the Visitors Info Menu at the top select "Visitors Guide."

For Front Royal info, go to http://ci.front-royal.va.us/tourism.asp?M=1&P=0&S=0.

Glad to hear you found a one-way rental from Dulles to Front Royal. The rental companies didn't used to let you rent one way out to the Shenandoah Valley (or vice versa). Once you turn in the rental, the local Front Royal taxi can probably get you to the AT--or maybe Enterprise will?

Ronnen
11-20-2007, 10:34
A canoe trip is a great idea.

What do you think about Luray caverns or the Skyline caverns?

Skyline
11-20-2007, 11:39
A canoe trip is a great idea.

What do you think about Luray caverns or the Skyline caverns?

Luray Caverns is the better patronized of the two by a longshot. Because it's better or has better marketing I dunno. I've only toured LC.

On a busy day the LC parking lot will be filled with nearly a thousand cars, RVs, and even school buses. The same day the SC parking lot might have 50 or 75.