PDA

View Full Version : meeting new folks and old

Cosmic Crusader
11-09-2007, 10:34
I sure have enjoyed meeting some new voices (for me) of the trail here in the last month or so. I am leaving for my hike in a few days and Im sure it will be ...something. I must say to some of the many members here - your demeaning and arrogant thoughts are not really helpful in general. I have learned some really good ideas on gear, technq, and how the trail has evolved since I hiked last in the late 90's. Stoves, ultralight, BMT, the list is really pretty large - glad I found this site, for info and entertainment.
I know we are all here to share our ideas and experience, but it is kinda like a big shelter in the rain that has lots of grumbling hikers present, some snore some stink but some of those same folks are great to chat with or have a beer with in town, others well they stink while snoring.
I do look forward to meeting most of you out on the trail or in the towns I pass, but also have gotten from WB a pretty good idea of some I do not want to meet, so that said keep up the great work of being who you are and keeping those keystrokes true to who you really are... don't be afraid to be kind and full of encourg or honest and cutting on how dumb it is to spend months off in the woods or any of the off the other things that make people realize who or what you are about... after all as in the thread about MRO or Fording the River or Men on the Trail... I gotta say kudos to the honest and true windows to who some of the Players are in this social trail... now to finish getting my pack ready...

PS thanks to the Admins of this site also for keeping things somewhat civil for talks between a bunch of hikers, maintains, town supports and social mismatches. Great site with lots of great members.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 10:41
one big, happy, dysfunctional family :D :banana

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 10:45
I sure have enjoyed meeting some new voices (for me) of the trail here in the last month or so. I am leaving for my hike in a few days .......

Where are you hiking?

Blissful
11-09-2007, 10:46
What you see in a forum here on WB is not what you get on the trail. We tend to be more open with just a keyboard in front of us (at least I am). But on the trail you meet the real person and the two are never the same.

RiverWarriorPJ
11-09-2007, 10:50
but also have gotten from WB a pretty good idea of some I do not want to meet, .

Come on......name, Names..lol....good luck..

Tipi Walter
11-09-2007, 10:51
Thru WhiteBlaze I've gotten to meet several members on the trails I like to backpack, and so they spark a special interest when I look at their galleries and read their posts. Sharing backpacking trips with members might mean going out with rank strangers but they're not, we sort of know each other already.

Cosmic Crusader
11-09-2007, 10:54
What you see in a forum here on WB is not what you get on the trail. We tend to be more open with just a keyboard in front of us (at least I am). But on the trail you meet the real person and the two are never the same.

Thats kinda my point to a point - we are the same and those that type in helpful or goofy views need to keep that in mind... you don't just stop being yourself at the keyboard -(not meaning you) but it allows others a more unfilted window to thoughts you may be unable or unwilling to express in general social exchanges. But its great to see.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-09-2007, 11:00
one big, happy, dysfunctional family :D :banana
What you see in a forum here on WB is not what you get on the trail. We tend to be more open with just a keyboard in front of us (at least I am). But on the trail you meet the real person and the two are never the same.Very well said by LW & Blissful. There are always going to be a handful of vexing people in a group this large.

My advice is to meet everyone you can - some are very different in person than they are on the site. IME, if you see a poster giving out a lot of helpful info and being "demeaning and arrogant" once in a while, that person turns out to be someone worthwhile to meet in person. I've come to avoid meeting those who are "demeaning and arrogant" pretty much all of the time as they haven't proven to be positive, inspiring or helpful people when I've met them in person YMMV

maxNcathy
11-09-2007, 11:18
I try to remember, "What is not love is a call for love" This sheds new light on tolerance.