PDA

View Full Version : Erwin Hiker Thanksgiving

Miss Janet
11-09-2007, 12:50
In 2001, my employer at the time; the Holiday Inn Express, graciously allowed me to hold the first ever SoBo Hiker Thanksgiving. We made the dinner a community pot luck event and had over 50 people in attendance. 34 of these were Southbound hikers that year! I still think it was the largest group of SoBo's to ever be together this far south.

Since that year I have hosted my AT family every year and it has been the highlight of my holiday season. Some hikers have been at my table only once... some nearly every year. One year we only had a dozen people... last year we had 56 people, 4 turkeys, 2 hams and the most beautiful spread of food that you could imagine. This all was the work and dedicated efforts of a truly great kitchen crew and pot luck surprises from dozens of people. I am making myself hungry just thinking about it!

I am so sorry to say that this year I will not be able to hold Thanksgiving Dinner here at my house. This house is just that right now. A big empty house echoing the laughter of the ghosts of memories. It is really a pretty sad place now and not the right place for a celebration. I wish all of you a wonderful Thankgiving Day with your family and friends and just know that I will be thinking about you,

I truly hope that by Easter of 2008 we can all once again gather for one of our fabulous group meals and a wonderful day of storys and laughter and memory making! Until then...

Two Speed
11-09-2007, 12:57
We'll be thinking about you, too. Happy Thanksgiving, Miss J.

SawnieRobertson
11-09-2007, 14:00
So where is we gonna eats? After last year I'm spoil't forever.--Kinnickinic

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-09-2007, 15:41
::: Dino wraps comforting tail around Miss Janet :::

Too bad the Dino tail has no roof or kitchen so Miss Janet could host the Thanksgiving dinner there. Thos who've met me know the Dino tail is big enough for the event :D.

derekthered
11-09-2007, 17:42
You're awesome Miss J! I'll never forget how you rescued me at Spivey Gap and fed me an absolutely amazing dinner on Easter this year. You're truly the mother of all trail angels.:D:D:D
Katterpillar