PDA

View Full Version : A.T. Yo-Yo

cowboy nichols
11-09-2007, 13:15
has anyone yo-yoed the AT recently just curious:-?

rafe
11-09-2007, 13:50

I met Eagle at Manassas Gap shelter this summer, said he was doing a quad yo-yo. Seemed like a nice guy. I think he was northbound at the time, not sure though.

Gaiter
11-10-2007, 14:48
Eagle is in Front Royal, he said he had been there for a little over a month, taking a break. he said he's done 3.5 yo-yo so far, and will probably finish it, but is worried this break of his may mess up it counting as a quad yo-yo.
also a few nights ago met weapon of mouse destruction or something like that aka jaybird but not the jaybird from this site (he said he's been asked that many times), he finished a yo-yo back in march, his second yo-yo, he was out for a small section in the shenandoah's

map man
11-10-2007, 15:22
Does anyone know if the "quad yo-yo" that Eagle is attempting means he's hiking the AT four times in one calendar year? (seems unlikely) Or does that mean starting sometime last year (or earlier) and hiking more-or-less continually (with the exception of the current month+ break) until he's completed the four thru-hikes. And I assume since the term yo-yo is being used that we're not talking about skipping around to various parts of the trail, but doing a northbound, then southbound, northbound, and then southbound (or vice versa). I think the particulars and logistics of this would be interesting to hear about if anyone knows.

Gaiter
11-10-2007, 20:48
definitely not in a calendar year, i hiked w/ him in late july of 06, so its already past a calendar year. he started spring 06, it just means nobo, sobo, nobo, sobo. i was shocked to run into him in franklin at the hiker's fools bash, but even more shocked when i ran into him in front royal.
also he sometimes goes by the trailname 'doesn't play well w/ others'

Just a Hiker
11-10-2007, 20:54
Several people have done a yo-yo, and there are many who wish they could, but they didn't have the money. This guy "Eagle" sounds interesting.......I hope he finishes his "Quad" after his break.

Just Jim

Quiet Chuck
11-10-2007, 23:13
I hiked with a Steve (Yo-Yo) Nichols, your namesake, in 82. Don't know if he was the first, enjoyed his company. Interesting you ask.

trippedoutnatureboy
11-11-2007, 00:32
sounds like Fun I will ponder the idea of this Yo-Yo hike

ARambler
11-11-2007, 01:47
Eagle is in Front Royal, he said he had been there for a little over a month, taking a break. he said he's done 3.5 yo-yo so far, and will probably finish it, but is worried this break of his may mess up it counting as a quad yo-yo.
also a few nights ago met weapon of mouse destruction or something like that aka jaybird but not the jaybird from this site (he said he's been asked that many times), he finished a yo-yo back in march, his second yo-yo, he was out for a small section in the shenandoah's

I met Eagle, aka, Doesn't Play Well With Others a couple days south of Front Royal (going sobo) a little over a month ago. He was burning out, but he still had a very good attitude. I thought he would keep going, just more slowly. It sounded like his first yo-yo was in a 12 month period.

I met Weapon of Mouse Distruction in VT. He gave me a ride to the WhistleStop. He had just finished the Long Trail (maybe a LT yo-yo).

The Dutch Traveler finished a 12 month yo-yo in September. It was a non-traditional one, VA to GA, GA to ME, ME to VA.

Off topic, LI (sic pronounced lee) finished the AT early and I guess finished the CDT?? Foxtrot did/is doing an AT-section, CDT, AT-section. I think he will endup doing both except for ME.

There is always a lot of hiking going on.

Rambler

Pony
11-13-2007, 19:45
I hiked with a Steve (Yo-Yo) Nichols, your namesake, in 82. Don't know if he was the first, enjoyed his company. Interesting you ask.

I thought his name was Nuckolls,though I could be wrong on this. There is a 1987 National Geographic article titled Tunnel Through Time in which the first few paragraphs speak of his hike. Great article, which coincidentally first sparked my interest in an AT thru hike. It was only July of this year that I read the article.

Captain Blue
11-13-2007, 20:38
I met Eagle on August 24, 2007 at the Jim & Molly Denton Shelter in northern Virginia. He was taking a zero day there and I had an hour chat with him. He is retired from the military. He hiked from Springer to Katahdin starting in the spring of 2006. In fall of 2006 he yo-yo'd and went from Katahdin to Springer. In spring of 2007 he yo-yo'd again and was heading northbound when I met him. Like a previous post said he was pretty burnt out. He said he might need to flip-flop to complete his yo-yo by winter.

Captain Blue