PDA

View Full Version : Shoes good on wet rocks?

vaporjourney
11-09-2007, 14:49
I'm not sure if there is even a good answer for the question, and perhaps it's an oxymoron? I read a thread on Inov8s where someone said that they rubber was sticky and good for wet rocks in Olympic NP. I'm going to be hiking the PCT, then the Pacific Northwest Trail (PNT) next year. I definitely won't be wearing boots, and probably won't even step up to trail runners, instead opting for normal running-style shoes for maximum breathability. Since the trail isn't as rooty and rocky out west, I think this will be OK. Still...if anyone can recommend a brand of shoes that has better tread than others for slippery rock, that'd be swell.

Deadeye
11-09-2007, 15:35
My New Balance 485 trail runners have the best grip on rocks - wet or dry - of any shoe I've worn. I don't think they make them anymore, so whenever I can find them, I buy them.

Boy that was a big help, huh?:-? The sole is marked "All Terrain," maybe some of their current models have the same tread/rubber combination and will work just as well. I'll have to find out when the last of my stock of 458's runs out.

If you find any in a size 10, let me know!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-09-2007, 15:47
Not sure if this would work for the PCT type of slippery rocks, but for crossing streams with slippery rocks I've glued fishing felt on the bottom of my hiking crocs with gorilla glue.

maxNcathy
11-09-2007, 17:27
I found New Balance 809 quite well ventilated and very good on wet rocks so long as the tread was not soaked/caked with mud of course.

mudhead
11-09-2007, 19:22
I have had good gription with New Balance- TruTrack. Outsole? Soft sticky layer that wears off quicker than the underlying layer. I'd PM Sabar, I bet she knows some rain loving fools!

Mooselook Marty
11-09-2007, 20:58
Vasque Catalysts are excellent on wet rocks, but surprisingly unexceptional on wet roots.

Deadeye
11-09-2007, 23:37
I don't know of anything that will grip on wet roots. They've been polished by thousands of boots, they're slicker than @#$% and they're just waiting for you!

take-a-knee
11-09-2007, 23:51
Nothing works on wet rocks as well as felt soles, ask a trout fisherman.

Marta
11-10-2007, 07:28
Brooks Cascadias worked pretty well.

Phreak
11-11-2007, 16:45
Salomon XA Pro

JAK
11-11-2007, 17:08
I think what might work best might also wear out faster. Not sure.
I would be more interested in not slipping than not wearing out though.

Cheap sneakers can be replaced. Expensive boots can be retreaded.
The felt soles sounds interesting. Are they also treated with gum or something?

pure_mahem
11-11-2007, 17:18
felt soles are the best on wet rocks, I think there was a company that made a slipover felt sole thingy but I don't remember who it was. If you've never seen feltsole fly fishing shoes do a little research on it at your local sporting goods store and you'll see what we are talking about. I don't see why you couldn't make a pair of felt over soles if you really want to carry them personally I just wade through using my hiking staff. if I can't rock hop of course, sometimes it's better to just wade than risk falling in and getting everything wet. Most large streams have a good crossing point some where and most have a bridge or some other way to get over it do some research on your trail guides.

maxNcathy
11-11-2007, 18:37
The Vibram soles on the New Balance 809 have excellent grip and showed hardly any wear after 300 miles of the AT (Springer to N of Hotsprings)
Sandalwood

Tinker
11-11-2007, 22:39
Check out a fly fishing retailer. Often they have felt soled sandals which strap on over boots. I don't see why they wouldn't work with running shoes. They tend to be a bit bulky, but if you can get your hands on a pair, they might give you some ideas for making an ultralight pair of your own. Felt isn't something you'd want to hike in. You'd chew it up pretty quickly. Fishermen don't put much mileage on their waders.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-12-2007, 00:48
Got a couple of PMs that made me think I need to clarify what I meant in post #3 - I glue a strip of fishing felt about 1.5 to 2" wide from the toe to heel on the bottoms of a pair of Payless' Croc-type knock-offs called Ellington Fisherman sandals (http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsCasuals&Width=Regular&ItemCode=55642&LotNumber=052412&Type=Adult&Popularity=29&DescriptiveColor=Black). I carry this as a combo camp, town & water shoe. I do not hike in these though I could use them to get back to town if my trail runner or boot became unusable.

Jim Adams
11-12-2007, 01:27
soloman XA Pros aren't bad but if you want sticky on wet rocks go with Teva water shoes...they are about the best for guiding whitewater rafting trips.

geek