PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

Pootz
11-09-2007, 15:53
I live near the NCNST in Pa and was wondering what time of year most thru hikers pass thru PA. I would like to try to do some form of trail magic for the few hikers that will pass thru my area?

Also any idea how many thru hikers there were this year?

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 15:55
cool! a magic show! when? :)

warraghiyagey
11-09-2007, 16:28
NOBOs probably start filtering through at end of May through June, SOBOs start filtering through in mid August.
Not sure how many will be interested in a magic show though.;)

Lyle
11-09-2007, 16:51
Pootz,
You will be waiting a long time to provide Trail Magic to the thru hikers on the NCT. Very few people attempt a thru of this trail for a variety of reasons. Lack of awareness, lack of stature, length of the trail, difficulty in completeing an "all northern" thru hike, substantial sections of road-walking (about the same percentage as on the CDT - granted different type of roads), and finally, negative statements by some who disapprove of the trail for some reason.

The NCT is a HUGE project, well on it's way to fullfilling the dream of a backbone to the other National Scenic Trails, connecting them into a true system of trails.
There are plenty of very beautiful stretches of great trail to explore. However, it has not received the interest of most long-distance hikers, many do not even know about it. I am amazed by the number of AT, PCT and CDT thru hikers that I have met that have no idea what the NCT is.

As for your question, contact your local chapters, there are many other ways you can help out the trail and the hikers besides traditional trail magic.

RITBlake
11-09-2007, 17:11
march 2011

samh
11-13-2007, 00:24
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=185286

A quick search of Trailjournals shows that Flatlander and Flicka have a 2007 NCT journal going. They don't appear to be hiking the whole trail but perhaps you could sign their guestbook and tell them that when they do decide to you'd love to be their trail angel ; )

ki0eh
11-13-2007, 08:57
I live near the NCNST in Pa and was wondering what time of year most thru hikers pass thru PA. I would like to try to do some form of trail magic for the few hikers that will pass thru my area?

In Lock Haven, you are very close to Great Eastern Trail http://www.greateasterntrail.org the local interpretation of which is Mid State Trail http://www.hike-mst.org and there may yet never have been a thru-hiker of the GET. Be the first and write a book!

Pootz
11-14-2007, 11:44
I have hiked a lot of the mid state trail in PA. Probably about half of it. Nice trail. Was just on it the other day.

Captain Slider
11-14-2007, 13:28
Hello Pootz 07.. I "Slider" and my friend Big Hose spent a great time with you at the Greasy Creek Friendly.. when you were on your hike.. We did follow your Trail and just wanted say that we were happy to know you,, there also was Zena, and a few others... can you tell us if there rest of your tribe finished..?

ki0eh
11-14-2007, 15:35
I have hiked a lot of the mid state trail in PA. Probably about half of it. Nice trail. Was just on it the other day.

The other half's nicer. ;) Hope to see you out there!