PDA

View Full Version : Escape from Philly: The Prequel

Johnny Thunder
11-09-2007, 17:09
Matthewski and I will be attempting the 'ol Murda'City Shuffle up something called "The Pinnocle". Saturday's planned start is 10 AM from The Pavilion. Route determined by weather. Weather determined by moth's in Asia.

I've put Matty on a No Magic diet consisting of traditional camp foods, Irish whiskey, and Rice Crispie Treats (tm). All those wishing to join should PM or IM or CP (carrier pidgeon).

Word.

EWS
11-10-2007, 00:07
Look out for midgets.

Panzer1
11-10-2007, 23:55
Trip report please...

Panzer

Wonder
11-11-2007, 01:34
See, I knew it......y'all just wait until I leave;)

Johnny Thunder
11-12-2007, 11:06
Trip report please...

Panzer

At 8AM I found myself on Port Clinton Ave asking Matty, "Should I bring more whiskey?" The question hung for a moment. It made me uncomfortable..."Dead hookers rarely happen durring bank hours" has basically become a family motto. And I find myself ending stories with "...and it's a wonder we didn't get arrested" more times than not. Without even thinking I threw in the extra bottle deciding to err on the side of over-prepared.

To this point I had ushered Mathewski to the trail using almost Panzer-like precision. The 5:45AM streets of Murda'City were desolate. 6:30 we were gone. I said, "we are going to be on the trail at 8".

------
Quick stop at the Pavilion...water pumps red water...hmmm...that's odd.
-----

By noon we had walked the 6 and change to the Hamburg Res...went to the shelter to check the register. Pocohantas spring was "running"...I mean, you could dip from it carefully and only the bottom ones were wet.

Mattheski and I humped 5 liters each not realizing that the spring that feeds the res would be accessible almost all the way to the airlift field (by the blue-blazed road). We were at the Pinacle by 1. Met with Noah and Chris...Noah was at The Gathering and is Funkee Monkey's boy (was Funkee's Best Man). With promises of extra water and whiskey we convince them to stay.

The Pinacle was covered with folks. All sorts of folks. Boy Scouts. Couples. Church groups. Hunters on Side trips. Old folks. Young Folks.

The Boy Scouts of Old are not the Boy Scouts of New. We counted at least three separate scouting groups and all were as well behaved and prepared as I've ever seen. Matthewski and I ran my new favorite "Bear Retardent Suit" routine on the scouts of Troop 16 from Media, PA. It basically consisted of making loose reference to the kid from West Chester and then making the kids give me all the candy they have in their pockets or else the bear will smell it on them when they sleep. I have (almost) officially retired the "Left Handed Smoke Shifter" gag passed down from my 'ol gran-pappy.

When the last dayhiker left the mountain we set up camp and went to work on the Jameson and the Johnny Walker. Noah and Chris brought some Maker's. A good time was had. Noah recently hiked the Loyalsock trail with Funkee and had great things to say about how soft it was and how it's many waterfalls would a make for a great summer's hike.

The temperature dropped. Saturday afternoon brough snow flurries while early Sunday AM might have dipped below the 20's. Since our misadventures in Vernon, NJ (see Escape from Philly May 2007) I had eliminated the Campmor compass/thermometer key chain. Matthewski's nut said 15 degrees.

The sub-freezing temperatures eliminated all hope for the promissed sunrise fog. Still a great morning was painted. We hiked out by 8. Noah and Chris dropped us at our car.

Cabela's is unexplainable.

camojack
11-12-2007, 11:55
Cabela's is unexplainable.
How 'bout: Camo (the pattern, not me) on crack? :D

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2007, 10:36
How 'bout: Camo (the pattern, not me) on crack? :D

How 'bout:

It's like Chuck-E-Cheese where the animals don't talk/sign/move but you spend the entire time you're there waiting for them to because that'd mean you didn't get burned by your dealer.

It's like going to the mall to look at hot moms, only the hotter they are the more likely they are to be jail bait.

It's g-d's consumerism litmus test...a part of your undying soul passes if at any point in your shopping experience you become unaware of the hundreds of dead animals watching you decide on what shade of orange offsets your red-eye.

It's Circus-Circus crossed with Walmart crossed with ... I don't know...Something I don't eve know about. For a nickel you could buy a rabbit's foot. Get an anachronistic-old-west-family-photo for a dime. They've got this great orchestra that plays every Sunday morning. Ted Nugent is the first chair viola. Ronnies there. They play these songs. If you know 'em you better sing along. If not, you're a damned Commie.

Johnny

mweinstone
11-16-2007, 11:44
my computer is at apple. repairs 300 clamsworth. city exsploding with violence all around . end of world begins monday when the fith night falls. son max 18 tommorow. too spoiled for electronics. buying books. working for trashgiving attempt . irs close now. watched johnney thunder display exsperienced hikemanship on pinnicle. he is the consumate hiker. thank you all for your love. mine is yours. going to ground with the myans. xoxoxoxomatthewski.

Dances with Mice
11-16-2007, 12:20
I could read that. There were verbs correlated with nouns, conjugated and everything.

Who are you? What have you done to our Matthewski?

Johnny Thunder
11-16-2007, 12:53
As stated, Matthewski's iBook is at Apple being repaired. So, clearly Pod-Matthewski is posting using his emotionless brain. Or, maybe it's Johnny Mnemonic Matthewski posting using the computer in his head. Or maybe it's angel Matty posting with the good word.

Dances with Mice
11-16-2007, 14:15
I tried to call the Missing Persons office but nobody answered the phone.

Uncle Silly
11-16-2007, 21:17
I'm starting to think JT's been infected with Matthewskiitis. Or maybe it's more of a contamination, like a contact high. If it's viral, it could spread to all of us. Easily. Maybe it already has.

Wonder
11-16-2007, 23:45
Crap.....I'm screw-ed