PDA

View Full Version : N.VA Hikers

AT_Disciple
11-09-2007, 17:51
I'd like to get an idea of who some of the other W/B members are that are from N. VA, for networking - for hikes, transportation etc. Also, if PACT member I'd like to know that as well. If there is a way to search W/B members by location coud someone please let me know how. TY

Newb
11-12-2007, 23:48
I'm a NOVA hiker and PACT member. Beware the angry bunny south of Manassas Gap. Just because you can, do NOT hunt the deer in SNP with a hammer.

teachergal
11-14-2007, 20:42
I'm in Northern VA - Woodbridge
I think my PATC membership has lapsed but I'm planning to renew!

AT_Disciple
11-15-2007, 11:25
thanks for your respose, I've added you both to my bud list.

AT_Disciple
11-15-2007, 11:28
the pact has revamped there site..pretty user friendly! here is the link to the calendar showing all the upcoming group hikes..

AT_Disciple
11-15-2007, 11:32
the pact has revamped there site..pretty user friendly! here is the link to the calendar showing all the upcoming group hikes..

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=151

sweetpeastu
11-15-2007, 11:49
Im in Roanoke...so S.W. Virginia....lol.

teachergal
11-16-2007, 21:22
I haven't found many hikes with PATC that appeal to me - most are either too long or too short, also many are on weekdays when I'm at work....I have found 2 great hiking clubs though....I like the Center Club the best, haven't done much with Northern VA....both clubs have a variety of hikes each weekend and post a variety of hikes throughout the year - slow, fast, long, short, in-town, out in SNP or GWNF, both offer carpool options but you can meet at the trailhead if you want...

Center Hiking Club - We have several hikes going every weekend ! (http://www.centerhikingclub.org/schedule.html)

Northern Virginia Hiking Club (http://www.nvhc.com/)

Furlough
11-17-2007, 10:24
I am also in Northern Va, Dale City or as some would say Woodbridge. I am a member of PATC. I have not linked up with any of their hikes or with the clubs mentioned by TeacherGal. I do alot of my hikes (usually weekends and long weekends) using the AT as part of a loop when possible. But there are other good trail sytems besides the AT easily accessible to us NOVAITES. Most of which are generally maintained by PATC as well.

Furlough

cj06887
11-17-2007, 19:06
I'm from the fairfax area and am also looking for others to meetup and do some hiking with.

Newb
11-17-2007, 22:22
Well, hell folks. Let's do a HIKE! How about a flip flop from bears den south or north?

AT_Disciple
11-17-2007, 23:58
I'm up for that Newb! Whats everybodys schedules look like.

AT_Disciple
11-18-2007, 00:32
is SNP doable for everyone? what do estimat the milage to be on the hike you have in mind, newb?

Furlough
11-19-2007, 08:32
Well, hell folks. Let's do a HIKE! How about a flip flop from bears den south or north?

is SNP doable for everyone? what do estimat the milage to be on the hike you have in mind, newb?

Sounds good to me. I can't get out until the 1st weekend in Dec though. My daughter is coming home from College for the Thanksgiving Break and as I was in Iraq for turkey day last year I really want to be with the family this year.

Are y'all looking to do a day hike, overnight or what? If interested maybe we could map out a some one way section hikes and stage cars at the start and end points. SNP would work great for this.

Furlough

Creek Dancer
11-19-2007, 10:16
Hey there! I am in Richmond. I would be interested in a group hike to either place mentioned.

juma
11-19-2007, 10:40
remember ATdisciple, "its not who you hike with, its who decides where to hike:)"

will be monitoring and maybe go as well....

juma

Skyline
11-19-2007, 11:21
Here is a link to a page with a bunch of other links that would be helpful to anyone planning to hike in SNP, GWNF, etc.:

http://www.mvshuttle.com/links.html

cj06887
11-19-2007, 13:06
I am free the weekend of nov. 30-dec. 2 as well as the following weekend. I would prefer to do an overnighter rather than a daytrip but am open to whatever.

AT_Disciple
11-19-2007, 14:33
remember ATdisciple, "its not who you hike with, its who decides where to hike:)"

will be monitoring and maybe go as well....

juma

my calves are still reminding me of that fact :) - hope ya can get in on this one Juma!

AT_Disciple
11-19-2007, 14:54
ok, so it looks like cjo06687,furlough,and creek dancer, are good for the w/e of the 11.30-12.2, im pretty sure im in too. i pm'd teach n newb so they can chime in.. hopefully we can roundtable, get a head count, and come up with a trip-plan soon as we'll have to get a backcountry permit lined up.. another thought is: to set up a base camp and then divide into groups according to terrain & milage preference and do day excursions....just a thought!

Critterman
11-19-2007, 15:38
I am interested as well.

DAKS
11-19-2007, 16:12
I too am interested. Gotta' look at schedules and stuff first though?

AT_Disciple
11-19-2007, 17:26
Poviding this link so we r all equally aware of what 'backcourty camping' is, as defined by SNP :http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm It's a good site..lots of useful info and even some sample trip plan itineraries : http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_trip_plans.htm

teachergal
11-19-2007, 20:10
I'm not available the weekend of the 30th-2 - I'm free pretty much any other weekend in Dec though.

Also, my vote is for a day hike...although depending on the route I could meet up for the day....the AT works great for this - lots of road crossing to join up. Next time maybe!

Newb
11-19-2007, 21:36
I'm free on that weekend. wife out of town, in fact...(dance the happy bachelor dance). My only concern is that the weather wont be in the low teens (I turn in to a pumpkin at 30 degrees).

I say it would be fun to meet up, park, hike to a shelter/campsite, then back. Let's not get too complicated.

Creek Dancer
11-19-2007, 23:31
I am up for just about anything. We should keep in mind that Skyline Drive may close at any time with even the slightest amount of snow on the drive.

Furlough
11-20-2007, 09:08
Ithink for a first time "gathering" Newbs original suggestion about using Bears Den as a starting point is a good idea. I have not been up that way yet, but looking at the Bears Den Web site I see they have recommendations for some day hikes and note that they also recommend a 2 day hike into Harpers Ferry. Maybe park at Bears Den Hostel and hike up to the Blackburn AT Center (aprox. 8 miles), camp there and hike back to Bears Den the Next day. Newb do you know if we can park overnight at Bears Den Hostel?

Furlough

Newb
11-20-2007, 09:16
Yep. Bear's Den has an overnight lot. I've done it before.
The hike from Bear's den to BLackburn is fairly low impact. A little tougher is south to Sam Moore or Rod Hollow shelter.

It will definitely be warmer if we stay at lower altitude.

AT_Disciple
11-20-2007, 09:48
Is that a little far North for you Creek Dancer?

Creek Dancer
11-20-2007, 10:14
No, that's fine. I will probably just drive up the day before and camp somewhere.

Is that a little far North for you Creek Dancer?

sweetpeastu
11-20-2007, 10:18
when are ya'll goin? I'm not that far from the Shennandoahs.

DAKS
11-20-2007, 13:03
Pretty far north for me. I think i will do something down south. Thanks though! Have a great hike!!!

Newb
11-20-2007, 14:37
Looks like the weather will range from 30s to 50s in the Front Royal area that weekend. Not bad. Sunshine expected.

I'll go as far South as Thornton Gap to start. I prefer the Bear's Den idea, but realize it's pretty far north for some folks. I'm driving in from Alexandria, so I can strike out anywhere along the NOVA AT corridor.

Furlough
11-20-2007, 16:39
Looks like the weather will range from 30s to 50s in the Front Royal area that weekend. Not bad. Sunshine expected.

I'll go as far South as Thornton Gap to start. I prefer the Bear's Den idea, but realize it's pretty far north for some folks. I'm driving in from Alexandria, so I can strike out anywhere along the NOVA AT corridor.

I vote for parking at Bears Den Hostel and heading North, overnighting around the Blackburn Center, and head back South the next morning. Meet up Sat. Morning at BDH, meet and greet and head on out.

Thoughts, other options to vote on, etc.......

Furlough

cj06887
11-20-2007, 17:01
that plan sounds good to me furlough. I will second that

bfitz
11-21-2007, 01:37
I'm in NOVA too. I'll wait and see what y'all do...I can never plan too far ahead, but I might turn up for a hike (especially a day hike...) depending on circumstances. Cool idea...VA whiteblazers!

Newb
11-21-2007, 08:24
That's a good plan. If we decide at the last minute to do a day hike we can just shuttle up to Blackburn. This provides flexibility. Flexibility is the key to air power.

Critterman
11-21-2007, 11:16
I am in. Sounds like a good plan.

AT_Disciple
11-21-2007, 12:03
Great input - All ! Thanks to technology AND Whiteblaze of course, outdoor lovers - neighbors, but otherwise strangers with a common interest were able to come together and plan what sounds like a great weekend in the mountains w/o driving half a day!

Newb
11-21-2007, 15:02
I'm jazzed. This is a good hike. Park at Bear's Den (lower parking lot) Saturday A.M. (0800 Rally time). Hike north to Blackburn..see devils racecourse and scenic cliffs on the way.

Furlough
11-21-2007, 22:52
Ok I m in to rally at 0800 on 1 Dec Lower Parking Lot at Bears Den Hostel. So who all else will be there?
So far it looks like Newb, cj06887, Critterman and me.
With a possibility for: bfitz and Creek Dancer.
Any other takers? AT_Disciple?

Furlough

Stix
11-21-2007, 23:44
Up from Georgia and gonna be in the DC area for the next couple of weeks. I brought my gear hoping to do some hiking while in the area. Have you got room for a Georgia Hiker?

astrogirl
11-22-2007, 00:31
Wow! So glad I visited WB today while the pumpkin pie is baking!

I'm between Front Royal and Linden, and I would be totally up for a day hike on 1-Dec if not more. I haven't been on the AT north of VA7 since 1999, though I hike south of US50 quite often.

If you guys are planning on going south toward Denton -- even better. I love the meadow s. of Manassas Gap -- one of my favorite places on earth.

AT_Disciple
11-22-2007, 18:39
yes, absolutely Stix here's the itinerary - Hope both u and Astro can make it..keep an eye on this thread for updates/changes. Cheers!

I'm jazzed. This is a good hike. Park at Bear's Den (lower parking lot) Saturday A.M. (0800 Rally time). Hike north to Blackburn..see devils racecourse and scenic cliffs on the way.

AT_Disciple
11-22-2007, 22:24
OK, as it stands right now... the group rendezvous at Bear's Den at 0800 Sat 12/1, hikes to Blackburn Trail Center area to camp and returns to Bear's Den the AM of Sun 12/2 .

Newb
11-23-2007, 11:54
I just took a look at the updated weather forecast for the Harper's Ferry area for 1, 2 DEC. Not good. Rain, cold, snow. thoughts?

AT_Disciple
11-23-2007, 12:04
Thanks for the update, Newb!

Furlough
11-23-2007, 14:53
I just took a look at the updated weather forecast for the Harper's Ferry area for 1, 2 DEC. Not good. Rain, cold, snow. thoughts?

I'm still game. Maybe we can stage a couple of vehicles at Blackburn and if if the weather gets too bad those who wish can head out instead of spending the night.

Furlough

Newb
11-23-2007, 15:20
I'm still game. Maybe we can stage a couple of vehicles at Blackburn and if if the weather gets too bad those who wish can head out instead of spending the night.

Furlough

Yeah, I'm thinking day hike. I really don't want to overnight if the weather is in the 20s at night. I literally don't have the sleeping bag for that. My North Face Aztec (supposedly 20 degree) is ok down to 30. Even with a fleece liner I get cold.

Stix
11-23-2007, 16:03
:sun not a bad idea to set up the vehicles just in case we have to bail. I’ll be prepared for either day hiking or camping depending on the weather.

Critterman
11-24-2007, 10:05
hard to predict the weather this far ahead, chances are that forecast will change ( I hope ).

Furlough
11-25-2007, 10:00
hard to predict the weather this far ahead, chances are that forecast will change ( I hope ).

This mornings forecast for Sat and Sun does show some improvement, particularly for Sat. I agree with you still too early for predictions, and no telling how many times the forecast will change this week. But at this point this looks doable.

Furlough

Newb
11-25-2007, 21:04
I'll bring enough gear to go either way. Weather wise, that is.

Creek Dancer
11-26-2007, 10:30
Unfortunately I cannot get off work on Friday to drive up there. :mad: So I am out for this trip. Have fun everyone. Hopefully I can join you next time!

Newb
11-26-2007, 12:17
Yep, better weather forecast as of today.

AT_Disciple
11-27-2007, 17:34
im thinking im gonna pass on this hike..i was really looking to get in a bit more milage. rt 7 to blackburn is not a big hike (only about 7.mi), the group will probabaly arrive there at about noon or early afternoon - leaving a long time to stand around and be cold for those who would camp (me). im more into hiking until about 4pm (at least 10 -15 mi/day) before making camp. ideally, for me, if i could leave my car at harpers ferry sat morning and get a ride to rt 7 it would be worthwile, unfortunately right now, i dont have a way to get from HF to bears den...sorry! if i resolve that issue ill be happy to meet the group at BD at 8 and hike with the group till ya'll jump off at blackburn.

Newb
11-28-2007, 09:25
Look guys, the weather is sketchy. It's gonna be cold overnight and rainy on Sunday. Another hike is to go from rte. 9 (or blackburn) to harpers and overnight at the Hilltop house.

Critterman
11-28-2007, 10:01
Here are two ideas. We can meet at Bears Den and do a car shuttle on Saturday. Those that want to do a day hike can and those that want to go slower and backpack can do that. Another option is to start later on Saturday and stick to original plan otherwise. That way we will arive at blackburn later in the day. Sunset is at 4:48 so we don't want to get there too late in the day. It is going to be cold at night no getting around that but it is winter.

Newb
11-28-2007, 12:54
A day hike is fine with me. I'll be at Bears Den at 0800 and will be prepared to shuttle north to Blackburn. I'm concerned as to the weather (sleet predicted) and cold. I'm not a wimp, I just don't have the sleeping bag for those temps right now.

Critterman
11-28-2007, 14:40
I am fired up to do something, hike or backpack. I will go with the flow whatever everybody else is game for.

astrogirl
11-29-2007, 17:53
I was thinking hike with y'all to Devil's Racecourse (I'm assuming a break there), and then hike back out.

That said, if I get up at 6:30 on Saturday and it's cold and drizzling, I probably won't be into it. It doesn't look like that's going to happen though.

Critterman
11-29-2007, 19:15
I was thinking hike with y'all to Devil's Racecourse (I'm assuming a break there), and then hike back out.

That said, if I get up at 6:30 on Saturday and it's cold and drizzling, I probably won't be into it. It doesn't look like that's going to happen though.

great, looking forward to Saturday.

AT_Disciple
11-29-2007, 19:54
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bluemont&state=VA&site=LWX&textField1=39.1111&textField2=-77.8342

Critterman
11-30-2007, 10:52
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Bluemont&state=VA&site=LWX&textField1=39.1111&textField2=-77.8342

Should be sunny until late in the day Saturday then cloud up. You ought to come out.

Newb
11-30-2007, 11:46
I'm doing the day-hike also. If anyone want's to flip-flop we can drive out to Blackburn and hike back for the car. If not, I'll turn around half way and come back to Bear's den. I look forward to meeting everyone. The social aspect of this is just as important as where and how the hike goes down.

Stix
11-30-2007, 18:59
Hey Newb, I’ve decided to do the day hike as well. Should have plenty of time to shuttle the vehicles in the morning? Could save some time to meet at Blackburn, or would everyone rather meet at the Den and then shuttle?

astrogirl
11-30-2007, 20:08
Sadly, I will not make it.

My truck that was promised to me today is not done, and I won't have it until Monday.

Sigh.

Newb
12-02-2007, 10:24
I owe everyone an apology. I had a family matter come up at the last moment and had to drive down to Richmond. I really do apologize for saying I'd be somewhere and then not showing up. I hope everything went well.

Critterman
12-02-2007, 10:52
Stix, Furlough and I showed up and went from Bears Den to Blackburn trail center. It was a pretty day and it was a great hike. Sorry you counldn't make it . Hopefully we can do another hike soon.

Furlough
12-03-2007, 08:42
Stix, Furlough and I showed up and went from Bears Den to Blackburn trail center. It was a pretty day and it was a great hike. Sorry you counldn't make it . Hopefully we can do another hike soon.

Critterman and Stix thanks for the great company hope we can get back out there soon.

And if any of the leaders or scouts from the Round Hill Boy Scout Troop are reading this - thank you for the great Corn and Potato Chowder you dished up for us at the Blackburn Trail Center Saturday afternoon.

Furlough

Stix
12-03-2007, 22:43
It was a great day for a hike. Clear blue skies and the vistas were incredible. Even got to meet a one of a kind dog named Tucker. Thanks Critterman and Furlough for the invite. I hope to be able to get in another hike before I leave. Oh and one more thing, If you’ve never seen the Devils Racecourse, I highly recommend checking it out. It will make you wonder.

<O:pStix</O:p

Furlough
12-04-2007, 09:12
Stix and Critterman,
I posted the Bears Den Overlook Photo under Faces of Whiteblaze.

Furlough

AT_Disciple
12-05-2007, 12:07
Sorry I was unable to join you all - sounds like it was a great time! I ended up in Deleware Water Gap (PA Side) for a chilly but lovely hike.... I posted a couple of pics! Hopefully we can get the N. VA gang together again in the upcoming weeks!