PDA

View Full Version : could you outfit in a walgreens?

johnny quest
11-09-2007, 19:38
so im killing some time in a walgreens the other day...great store, got a little bit of everything. and while im waiting i started playing this game. could i totally outfit myself for hiking from only what i could buy in that one store? i was surprised at how well i could do. try it yourself... but only if you find yourself with nothing else to do...waiting for someone to get back from lunch and you have nothing else to do.

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 19:46
yes, and you could meal plan by going to the oatmeal store, but why would you want to?

TW

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 19:49
The Weasel, he's chomping at the bit to get out there. Remember how that felt?

doggiebag
11-09-2007, 19:49
yes, and you could meal plan by going to the oatmeal store, but why would you want to?

TW

I gotta say, that was pretty funny :D.

Tipi Walter
11-09-2007, 22:07

TW

Now, be nice to the humble Oat.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-09-2007, 23:16
See you boys are feeing your oats in this thread.

make a cheap aluminum sauce pan work as a backpacking pot by removing the heavy handles from the pan and lid.
I could definitely use some of the picnic stuff and some of the travel sizes of various items (soap, alcohol gel).
a microfiber cleaning cloth to use as a pack towel
Depending on the time of year, I could get some acrylic fleece tops and pants.
use 2 - 4 synthetic micro-fleece blankets instead of a sleeping bag (nobody said I had to be an ultralighter :D)
I could do a full food resupply
I could get a nylon laundry bag and a book bag and fashion a usable pack from those two items and some sewing equipment also available in the store.
an umbrella and nylon rain suit
two shower curtains to use as a tarp and a ground cloth
sterno cans for cooking

FanaticFringer
11-10-2007, 00:56
No, they dont sell hammocks.:rolleyes:

Jarhead16
11-10-2007, 02:34
Very nice Dino! I might just go get some of that tomorrow and go on an overnoghter for fun and test it... I'll let y'all know if I do;)

Lilred
11-10-2007, 10:34
do you mean walgreens or Walmart?? Our walgreens has nothing for backpacking except maybe food and a kicker first aid kit.

Miss Janet
11-10-2007, 11:27
Maybe not outfit but resupply for sure... Our local Walgreens has taken a real interest in hikers and has set up a special display with the things that hikers might need. They even started to carry Body Glide when so many hikers asked for it last year. They also have a $1 isle with instant oatmeal, granola, tuna, etc...

rafe
11-10-2007, 11:45
Walgreens & other large chain drug stores sometimes have a section of small "sampler" size containers of stuff that hikers often need.. eg Purell, Gold Bond, Glide, toothpaste, etc.

nitewalker
11-10-2007, 12:05
alot of the chain stores are carrying items that pertain to outdoor exercise whether it be camping,hiking,biking,kayaking,hoops, football,baseball, etc. there are more synthetic gear choices in all stores, ...the trend has been steadily moving forward over the last 5 to 10 yrs..walmart has all that staydri line of synthetics also decent fleece etc.. dicks sporting goods has sleeping bags, clothing and other specialty items that an outfitter would have[not as good]...basicaly synthetics and hi tec clothing are here to stay. if any of you have some extra loot it would be a good idea to invest it in some hi tec company. garmin[gps], marmot, north face, are just a few of the winners in the hi tec catergory...just look at nike for instance hiking shoes, wicking gear and thats probably only the tip of the iceberg pretty soon nike will venture into a full line of hiking gear, why not? peace out nitewalker

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 12:53
I think I could outfit at the CVS down the street, for that matter, but might not be very comfortable or lightweight:

Break off the handle from a non-stick pan for a cooking pot. They also sell a lot of trail friendly foods and freezer bags.

A tarp and some rope would make a tent. They sell emergency ponchos and some sizeable packs, though none with an internal frame. A big daypack plus a big fannypack might do, though, with the bedroll creatively lashed to the outside somehow.

The sleeping bag? Not really, but I could use a couple of fleece blankets, which they do sell, and an air mattress, which they also sell. Add some flip flops, an led flashlight, a knife, a first aid kit, and make a stove from a can of cat food and buy some alcohol for fuel.

Am I forgetting something? Here we go then, Earl Shaffer style.

atraildreamer
11-10-2007, 13:36
do you mean walgreens or Walmart?? Our walgreens has nothing for backpacking except maybe food and a kicker first aid kit.

Polycarbonate water bottles: 2 for $3...

Little zip locs for medicines, etc., big zip locs for the bigger stuff...

Soda, in cans, to make your stove and alcohol to fuel them...

Plastic picnic tablecloths make up your tarp and groundheet...

Plastic utensils to eat with...

Various types of LED lights, including headlamps, occasionally...

Batteries for the above, and to power your Walkman's, etc...

T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, gloves, etc., for your outdoor clothing needs...

And in the food aisle...Snickers bars and....(insert drumroll!):

SPAM...(Glorious Spam!:banana)...

mudhead
11-10-2007, 13:47
Well stocked pharmacy... Trade for wicked cool stuff.

Doctari
11-10-2007, 14:45
Maybe from Walgreens.
Was in CVS after reading this post, IMHO very simiilar stores, & yes, IF I had to, I think I could. At least enough to get me set up for a few days outing. See the Dino's list: They sometimes carry theose 8' x 10' blue tarps, so I could make a hammock, a small catfood can is what I use as a stove anyway, they carry Heet in the auto isle & a tow strap to hang my hammoc with. Yep, it could be done.

If you are talking just along the "One, non backpacking store" frame of ref. Yes, I could usually from BigLots. Sometimes very easily from BigLots. I get almost all my backpacking food & some of my gear there anyway.

I like this game!!

Gaiter
11-10-2007, 15:02
Maybe not outfit but resupply for sure... Our local Walgreens has taken a real interest in hikers and has set up a special display with the things that hikers might need. They even started to carry Body Glide when so many hikers asked for it last year. They also have a $1 isle with instant oatmeal, granola, tuna, etc...

Also 'Band-Aid' has come out w/ its version of body glide, 'Blister Block', its a small stick, you'll find it next to other band-aid products, i used it when i ran out of bodyglide :eek: , i found that it didn't spread as well as body glide, but warming it up helps, so i would sit on it during breakfast

johnny quest
11-10-2007, 15:40

TW

what the f is an oatmeal store? or is every store an oatmeal store at that age?

doggiebag
11-10-2007, 15:57
what the f is an oatmeal store? or is every store an oatmeal store at that age?
That's even funnier :D
But I'm staying out of this one :eek: