PDA

View Full Version : Gear ?? for FT

elevenbravoMD
11-09-2007, 21:56
Hey whats up guys, im moving to cocoa after thanksgiving. I'm looking for some FT gear help. What is everybody using for shelter and sleeping? I keep hearing stories about the rain. Here's what I currently have harry shires contrail tarptent, mountain hardwear phantom 45 bag. Think i'll be alright?

BumpJumper
11-09-2007, 23:38
Doc??
Yes it rains in Florida. Not this time of year so much. When you get settled, go to the FTA site.
www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org)

It should be of good use to a new Florida hiker.

elevenbravoMD
11-10-2007, 00:55
Doc?? Whats that?

Hammock Hanger
11-10-2007, 08:13
I think she was questioning the MD at the end of you sign-on name.

Variety of shelters on the FT as with any trail. I hammock. Cowboy camping here can be tricky as we have a lot of heavy dew, but you can get rained on in your tent if it is small and single walled!!!

elevenbravoMD
11-10-2007, 12:22
Oh yeah, that make sense. Not a doctor, 11B was my Army MOS (Infantryman) and MD is for Maryland.

Hammock Hanger
11-10-2007, 12:26
Oh yeah, that make sense. Not a doctor, 11B was my Army MOS (Infantryman) and MD is for Maryland.
My son just moved to MD a few months back. We will be driving up there for T-day as our plans fell through.

wahoo
11-14-2007, 09:51
Don't worry about the rain, the biggest problem is the skeeters!
I use a Hennessy Hammock and a 45 degree North Face bag. Works great for me.

BumpJumper
11-15-2007, 07:35
Dag gummit it 11....

I wanted to call you DOC.:(

Oh well. But being in the service is good. Better actually...now I will call you something else. I rarely call folks on here by their rightful given names..:D

elevenbravoMD
11-18-2007, 21:21
its funny searching for light hiking alternatives after being in the army when it was common to force march and conduct field exercises with a 70+ pound ruck

elevenbravoMD
11-18-2007, 21:22
ive now got my base pack weight down to the sub 3 or 4 region. UNBELIEVABLE!

KG4FAM
11-18-2007, 23:11
its funny searching for light hiking alternatives after being in the army when it was common to force march and conduct field exercises with a 70+ pound ruck

I hiked 950 miles of the AT last summer and then joined the Army. Just think how much it sucks going from my comfortable modern pack and trail runners to the ALICE and boots. At least we don't have to go up in the mountains with this crap.

cannonball
11-19-2007, 11:07
That should work. You may consider a bag liner if you want to stay with your current bag. Jan. and Feb. can see near freezing temps at night.
Big things that stick out about FT as opposed to AT. LONELY hiking, less re-supply ops, level terrain, way to much road walking.
Seems to me that the FT is a bunch of really nice sections connected together by road walks in order to make 1 long trail.

BTW, any one up for a section of the Suwannee river area in Jan. ?

elevenbravoMD
11-19-2007, 20:21
when did you join the army? i just got out and we used the a.l.i.c.e. never. thats some old school gear. molle and camelbak is what i used all through basic and infantry school. but as i can see we clearly had a different mos. youd think theyd give the m.i. guys better equipment.

thanks for the ft insight, suwannee wheres that?

Shane! Come Back!
11-24-2007, 00:44
Hey whats up guys, im moving to cocoa after thanksgiving. I'm looking for some FT gear help. What is everybody using for shelter and sleeping? I keep hearing stories about the rain. Here's what I currently have harry shires contrail tarptent, mountain hardwear phantom 45 bag. Think i'll be alright?

This has nothing to do with shelter, just another Florida quirk to consider. Sugar sand is my personal worst enemy. I recently did a 4-day on the Georgia AT, all good. On Thanksgiving I did a 13-miler on flat terrain in Myakka and today my hips are frozen from the grinding sandy walk.:eek:

jnetx
11-25-2007, 18:26
BTW, any one up for a section of the Suwannee river area in Jan. ?

I think we will be through there by the end of December. I expect we'll do Aucilla early in January though if you are interested in hiking it.