PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Trail Shoes or Boots

Dakota Dan
11-09-2007, 23:03
My first attempt to do a POLL. JR just showed me any article that NOLS, outdoor schooling people, instruct applicants to bring sturdy leather hiking boots. I'm just curious as to what most of the folks here at WB use when hiking, if different from what you would use on a Thru-hike, just vote as to what you would use on a Thru-hike.

Dakota Dan
11-09-2007, 23:08
To my surprise I did make a POLL. The only mess up was I shouldn't have typed in "POLL" now its on the title twice. Maybe the ADM can take out the extra word "POLL" for me.

EWS
11-10-2007, 00:16
NOLS is old school; I've taken less stuff when I was moving.

There was an almost identical poll on here very recently.

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 00:17
I just looked at this recent POLL stats. There has been 43 views, but only 10 votes cast.

Does this mean that there are 33 viewers who don't hike?

Does this mean we have 33 viewers who are two lazy to vote?

Does this mean we have 33 viewers who doesn't know the difference between trail shoes and boots?

A combo of any of the above?

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 00:19
It can also mean some of us that voted already have come back to look at it again a time or two.

EWS
11-10-2007, 00:25
Sorry, I didn't look at the poll.

I'll try to summarize the response and argument of 100 people. Seventy people will claim hiking shoes are better. Twenty people will say leather boots are better. Eight people will remain undecided, but state that they either like or hate crocs as camp shoes. One person will say sandals are the way to go. One person will say go barefoot. Then some people will say it depends on how much weight you are hauling;others will say it doesn't matter weight you're carrying, it depends on you ankles.

Take what you already have, you can change it along the way if you're not happy with it.

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 00:28
My search skills here at WB, as you all can tell, isn't too good. Sorry, I did try to find a poll that was current. So, I did this one. Sorry to inconvenience anyone, but would ask for all to vote again.

I'm going to count shoes and boots on hikers I meet on our weekend, one nighter tomorrow and Sunday. I guess also have to divide by 2 to get an accurate head count. hehe I'll report back here.

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 00:38
Sorry, I didn't look at the poll.

I'll try to summarize the response and argument of 100 people. Seventy people will claim hiking shoes are better. Twenty people will say leather boots are better. Eight people will remain undecided, but state that they either like or hate crocs as camp shoes. One person will say sandals are the way to go. One person will say go barefoot. Then some people will say it depends on how much weight you are hauling;others will say it doesn't matter weight you're carrying, it depends on you ankles.

Take what you already have, you can change it along the way if you're not happy with it.

By asking what someone would wear on a Thru-hike I thought it would be clear as to what I'm polling. Could it be a lot of folks here at WB as well as other hiking websites are basically armchair outdoor enthusiast or wannabes?

EWS
11-10-2007, 00:54
I've worn boots on probably 50% of my treks, but those were rocky and/or bushwhacking. I've worn sandals about 25% of the time, but that was in jungle and canyoning. I wore Salomon shoes about 25% of the time and that was on trails.

I'm taking Salomon shoes on the AT as it is apparently a very very well worn trail.

FanaticFringer
11-10-2007, 01:20
By asking what someone would wear on a Thru-hike I thought it would be clear as to what I'm polling. Could it be a lot of folks here at WB as well as other hiking websites are basically armchair outdoor enthusiast or wannabes?

It could also be that this question seems to have been asked about a million times on this forum.:rolleyes:

BigShanty_07
11-10-2007, 02:32
Montrail Hardrocks..... Over half of my 2007 thruhike was spent in them.....Not one blister !

Summit
11-10-2007, 08:14
NOLS needs a visit from "Myth Busters!" :D :p

It's a simple equation for me . . . I get infinately more enjoyment backpacking with trail runners because my feet are happy! Aching feet ruins EVERYTHING about hiking/camping!

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 10:07
I wear boots a good bit of the time because I have to - it is the uniform at work. Whenever I get the chance I am back in running shoes to hike in. That said - there are times I still prefer boots like when I go bushwacking cross country in some bad terrain or when cutting blow downs.

Appalachian Tater
11-10-2007, 13:59
I wear boots a good bit of the time because I have to - it is the uniform at work. Whenever I get the chance I am back in running shoes to hike in. That said - there are times I still prefer boots like when I go bushwacking cross country in some bad terrain or when cutting blow downs.

So you wear boots for protection from injury from external sources?

The only place I thought boots would have been nice were on the little pointy rocks they paved the trail with in certain places in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 14:01
So you wear boots for protection from injury from external sources?

The only place I thought boots would have been nice were on the little pointy rocks they paved the trail with in certain places in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Yes. I find that you don't always see those injury sources in brush. This is from a few trips in places that have a lot of pines. When they burn they tend to leave a deep stump hole that gets hidden very easy. The boots I wear are usually the nylon sided jungle/desert type boots.

Appalachian Tater
11-10-2007, 14:05
Yes. I find that you don't always see those injury sources in brush. This is from a few trips in places that have a lot of pines. When they burn they tend to leave a deep stump hole that gets hidden very easy. The boots I wear are usually the nylon sided jungle/desert type boots.

Well, you might consider switching out for them when you hit the rocks, either your boots or a hard plastic insole like Superfeet, if you don't use them already. (Blue Superfeet are the most incredibly overpriced two-bit pieces of plastic I've ever seen.)

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 14:06
.....I'm going to count shoes and boots on hikers I meet on our weekend, one nighter tomorrow and Sunday. I ....... I'll report back here.

TRIP CANCELED. I just explained in my earlier HIKER HORMONE THREAD that JR stayed out too late last night and didn't feel like a weekender. Thru-hike planning as of now CANCELED. It's not like I haven't warned/reminded him each day this past week about being ready for this weekend's trip. We were going up to SC to do a section of FHT and to check out gear, etc. But NOOOOoooooooo, chicken crap nephew, who has worried the living hell out of me about going/taking him on a thru-hike has just screwed up big time. DD out.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 14:08
do a thru-hike without him. partners are a PIA anyway

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 14:09
Well, you might consider switching out for them when you hit the rocks, either your boots or a hard plastic insole like Superfeet, if you don't use them already. (Blue Superfeet are the most incredibly overpriced two-bit pieces of plastic I've ever seen.)
I've got a pair of Merrill Stretch Chameleons that are about as tough on the sole as my boots that I plan to get mailed to me in Pennsylvania. I've got superfeet in them already - I do not like them for most trail use like I enjoy my trail runners. I actually prefer my broken in desert boots from my last tour better than the Merrills and they are nealy as good as my New Ballance trail runners for comfort.

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 14:22
do a thru-hike without him. partners are a PIA anyway

Realizing partners are actuall a big PIA, I/We had already planned on each taking a one man tent, etc, in case one bailed.

I'm going to quote a post I just made at another Thread.

"I'm not the one who wanted to do any hiking in the first place. I was basically doing the weekender for his benefit. To help him break in boots, get a little experience, etc. If I was going to do a thru-hike I'd just go and start, starting real slow,no doubt, and build my legs and speed up thru Ga and NC. I have plenty of broken-in and durable boots that will take me there, and that would be my biggest concern in starting a thru-hike. If I had new boots to break in, and where doing a thru-hike, I most definitely would make sure the footwear was right before I did any long hike. I may find someone to do some short trips with, but right now I really ticked off at my chicken-crap nephew."

Spirit Walker
11-10-2007, 20:27
I've gone both ways - boots and shoes. Different trails have different needs, for me. For the AT I'd wear light boots because of the rocks and the steep sections. For the PCT, I wore running shoes because the trail is so gentle, with more sand than rocks. On the CDT I wore running shoes in the desert and boots in the mountains. I would do that again. The running shoes didn't work for me on the soft tussocks and talus in northern Colorado. I wore running shoes on the GET and it was a disaster. They started falling apart in less than 100 miles and my feet were in agony. Lots of rocks meant that I felt like I was barefoot. For that trail, I'd prefer light boots. My husband can't wear running shoes at all - they kill his feet.

Bottom line - try both and see what works for you in the conditions in which you'll be hiking.

Tinker
11-11-2007, 23:32
Most likely, most of the time, sandals. I might start out (if nobo) with light hikers and a waterproof sock, or very light fabric boots, but once it stayed reliably above freezing, I'd probably hike in sandals with socks, which is what I currently use on my section hikes.