PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trail

BumpJumper
11-09-2007, 23:41
Just wanted to see if most WB members in FL are FTA members. I am. I really enjoy it too. I am also a member of their maintanance crew, F Troop.
Here is a link in case no one has it and would like to become a member as well.

www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org)

elevenbravoMD
11-10-2007, 00:54
Im planning on joining once I move down later this month, what would I have to do to get on the maintenance crew?

Hammock Hanger
11-10-2007, 08:16
If you want to be on a regular maintenance crew just get with the FTA office and find out what chapter covers the area you will be in. Contact them, I am sure they would be happy to have some one interested in maintenance.

To help out with an F-troop project check out the FTA website, they usually have info there, if not just contact the office.

BumpJumper
11-13-2007, 22:51
You will enjoy it if you do.

toddhiker
11-15-2007, 20:13
Funny...I talked w/Earthworm (she's also on this forum) today about it. Gonna join soon.

Cannibal
11-16-2007, 09:17
I'm a card carrier of the FTA. Although I always forget to carry the damn thing.

eArThworm
12-10-2007, 19:54
Funny...I talked w/Earthworm (she's also on this forum) today about it. Gonna join soon.

Yes, I'm a member. Also a Section Leader--in charge of 7 miles of hiking trail at Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park in Tallahassee. That's a LOT of trail maintenance. I'm also a hike leader, Programs Chair, Publicity Chair, and webmaster (-mistress?) for our local chapter at http://apalachee.floridatrail.org/ . Now that I'm retired, trails are my new profession.

BumpJumper
11-11-2008, 19:10
Thought I would BUMP this to see if we have any new WB/FTA members now.

JaxHiker
11-12-2008, 19:27
I are.

wahoo
11-12-2008, 19:39
I is too.

floridahikes
11-12-2008, 20:19
For many years now... and glad there are eArThworms out there! I used to be a multi-tool like her but am taking a break. It would help to be retired first ;-)
Navigator

BumpJumper
11-12-2008, 21:02
Well if Bluegill and Trailtalker would ever post on here it wouldnt only be us:p

jnetx
11-15-2008, 10:58
Thought I would BUMP this to see if we have any new WB/FTA members now.

I guess I'm not an FT member any more. Not sure exactly when, my membership expires, but I'm sure it's sometime this month.

Will you still talk to me Bump? :rolleyes:

BumpJumper
11-15-2008, 22:17
LMAO....uh.....yep.:D But it will cost ya! An FTA renewal at least!:D

jnetx
11-15-2008, 22:57
LMAO....uh.....yep.:D But it will cost ya! An FTA renewal at least!:D

hmmm Not renewing. Various reasons. You might have to name a different price.:rolleyes:

Montana Mac
12-03-2008, 09:48
For all of you "Sunshine" state people that hike the Fla Trail which section would you choose for a 3 or 4 day hike. I would be interested in the most remote and/or scenic section with camping.

Also any shuttle info if I don't do an "out and back" hike.

If I come to Fla it will be either later this month or early Jan and I will be heading for the Port Charlotte area. I know the Fla Trail doesn't run through that area. Every time I try to get on the Fla Trail web page it locks my computer so this is the reason for my questions here.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies - if you prefer you can PM me.

Hammock Hanger
12-03-2008, 10:31
For all of you "Sunshine" state people that hike the Fla Trail which section would you choose for a 3 or 4 day hike. I would be interested in the most remote and/or scenic section with camping.

If I come to Fla it will be either later this month or early Jan and I will be heading for the Port Charlotte area. I know the Fla Trail doesn't run through that area. Every time I try to get on the Fla Trail web page it locks my computer so this is the reason for my questions here.

My favorite 3 day area is still Eglin AFB up in the panhandle.

wannahike
12-03-2008, 19:12
I don't know if it's the best but it was a really nice 3 day hike and you will be very close.
http://www.myakkariver.org/hiking.html

38 miles of trail maintained by the local FTA chapter.

wannahike

Hammock Hanger
12-03-2008, 19:15
I don't know if it's the best but it was a really nice 3 day hike and you will be very close.
http://www.myakkariver.org/hiking.html

38 miles of trail maintained by the local FTA chapter.

wannahike

I have hiked the Myakka River trails many times. They can be quite nice. We liked to hike the area because we could make loops and come back to our car, no shuttles necessary.

BumpJumper
12-03-2008, 20:25
Sue, are you going to be up for some hiking soon? How is the leg?

Hammock Hanger
12-03-2008, 20:43
Sue, are you going to be up for some hiking soon? How is the leg?

The leg is doing pretty good. It swells a little and hurts if I do too much but it takes more and more for that to happen. I am currently on vacation at the beach with my husband and have been doing just fine.

December I hope to finish up my PT and make it through the holidays. Come Jan I am looking forward to some FL hiking, most likely gonna hook up with BearBare or is that Barebear???? LOL!!

BumpJumper
12-03-2008, 20:53
Yeah he is coming to Juniper this weekend with us all. I sure wish yall could make it. Tami is talking about doing a weekend at Gold Head in Jan. I will keep you posted.

jnetx
12-04-2008, 13:10

It's a long way from Port Charlotte, but the Blackwater River section is nice, and may be one of the best options for not needing shuttles. There are several other trails besides the FL Trail that you could make good loops out of. There are a couple of shelters in this area, good water available, and improved campgrounds that you could leave a vehicle at.

But I would also second the Eglin section for a nice hike, though shuttles probably would be necessary becasue I'm not sure I'd leave a vehicle at any of the trailheads for multiple days. Suwannee is another nice section, but with similar shuttle issues.

Further south, the Western Corridor from Pruitt to Rodman, or a couple fo days in Ocala NF is a nice hike too, but the corridor is hardly what most would consider remote.

BumpJumper
12-04-2008, 14:23
Hey J!!!!:welcome
Juniper wont be the same without you sitting around the fire in your sunglasses....:sun:cool:

jnetx
12-05-2008, 16:14
Hey J!!!!:welcome
Juniper wont be the same without you sitting around the fire in your sunglasses....:sun:cool:

Was thinkiing about trying to get up there, but have some "must do's" on the RV to get finished this weekend. Have fun without me. Do I need to order a truckload of wood to be sent in? ;)

wahoo
12-05-2008, 23:50
Man, I can never hook up with you guys. I've got to go to Tosohatchee tomorrow. If I get done earlier, I might swing through the ONF and say hello.

tom_alan
12-06-2008, 01:48
I just looked at the forcast down there. Living in the Midwest than Colorado most of my life I didn't realize that it got so cold down there.
14' now and hitting a low of 11' with a high tomorow of 24' and a low of 9'. Sunday gets even colder with a high of 19' and a low of 4'.

Is that normal down there? Does it stay that cold for very long down there? Jnetx ~ you may need to send in a truck load of firewood.

However, I would take your temps over ours. Tonight's low is calling for -9' and we are already at -1' with a high tomorrow of 13' and a low of -2' and for Sunday, 14' for a high and -2 for a low.

:-?Dang it man ~ my weather monitor was on Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. No wonder the forecast was so low. Duh!!:mad::mad:

Really didn't think they were that low here either.:mad:

Hammock Hanger
12-06-2008, 08:44
I just looked at the forcast down there. Living in the Midwest than Colorado most of my life I didn't realize that it got so cold down there.
14' now and hitting a low of 11' with a high tomorow of 24' and a low of 9'. Sunday gets even colder with a high of 19' and a low of 4'.

Is that normal down there? Does it stay that cold for very long down there? Jnetx ~ you may need to send in a truck load of firewood.

However, I would take your temps over ours. Tonight's low is calling for -9' and we are already at -1' with a high tomorrow of 13' and a low of -2' and for Sunday, 14' for a high and -2 for a low.
That is a bit lower then normal. I tell hikers be prepared for some cold weather and they never believe me.

tom_alan
12-06-2008, 23:36
Weatherman says high in Pueblo, Colorado on Tuesday is 2' ~ I'll take some of that 18' weather forcasted for that area.

:-?Dang it man ~ my weather monitor was on Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. No wonder the forecast was so low. Duh!!:mad::mad:

Bulldawg
12-07-2008, 00:01
Are ya'll talking about Florida with those temps? Florida is pretty warm right now and for the next 5 days or so!

saimyoji
12-07-2008, 00:07
Hey Tom Alan :welcome Howz the weather out there in Co.? :sun

BumpJumper
12-07-2008, 17:53
Our temps werent low. Where did you get that info?:confused:

tom_alan
12-07-2008, 19:12
Our temps werent low. Where did you get that info?:confused:

BumpJumper
12-07-2008, 20:00
Geeze:datz

BumpJumper
12-07-2008, 20:07
Some pics from our paddle down Juniper Run

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/06downtrees_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29812&c=536)
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/08fallcolors_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29811&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=11294&cutoffdate=-1)