PDA

View Full Version : Bear shot not to far from where I live.

veteran
11-10-2007, 00:19
It was a Big one.

http://www.therepublicannews.com/article.asp?id=2207

FanaticFringer
11-10-2007, 01:32
They could have had a better pic of the bear. It looks kinda fake.

ed bell
11-10-2007, 01:47
Coty looks real.:cool:

warraghiyagey
11-10-2007, 02:39
Coty looks fun!!:)

The General
11-10-2007, 05:00
Coty also has a gun and by the looks of that bear she knows how to use it!!!!!!

woodsy
11-10-2007, 07:42

Coty looks fun!!:)

Coty can go Bear hunting with me anytime;)

Seriously, that is one big bear. Imagine seeing something like that coming down the trail at you:eek:

FFTorched
11-10-2007, 09:50
Hey a girl who know's how to drop a bear has got to have many interesting skills.

rickb
11-10-2007, 10:00
Imagine seeing something like that coming down the trail at you:eek:

Won't happen. Its dead.

Oh, never mind.

I thought you were talking about the bear.

Flush2wice
11-10-2007, 10:07
Hey a girl who know's how to drop a bear has got to have many interesting skills.
She probably shot it out of a tree after her dogs with radio collars chased it up there.

STEVEM
11-10-2007, 10:08

I think we'll see a lot more of Coty. Maybe NRA Magazine centerfold with her bear skin rug.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 10:15
She probably shot it out of a tree after her dogs with radio collars chased it up there.

nope. prohibited in Maryland

nitewalker
11-10-2007, 10:19
there is a bear in that pic:-? .. all i see is a nice looking gal.....:D she can hunt with me anytime although i do not hunt;) ...peace out, nitewalker

Flush2wice
11-10-2007, 10:22
nope. prohibited in Maryland
I stand corrected.
Too bad that's not the case down here. It's more like harvesting than hunting around here.

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 10:31
What a shame, what purpose does killing this bear have? The bear population is not over populated. Sad, that this is what Cody's parent's taught her for recreation.:confused:

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 10:52
hunting legal game is a wonderful family activity. get 'em in the woods young.
www.tednugent.com/hunting/kamp/

rlharris
11-10-2007, 11:09
What a shame, what purpose does killing this bear have? The bear population is not over populated. Sad, that this is what

Tell that to a chicken farmer that has had his coops raid and flock killed. Or tell it to a beekeeper that has had a bear go past the electric fence and destroy the hives.

veteran
11-10-2007, 11:29
What a shame, what purpose does killing this bear have? The bear population is not over populated. Sad, that this is what Cody's parent's taught her for recreation.:confused:

Ever see what a bear can do to a corn field?

rickb
11-10-2007, 11:33
Ever see what a bear can do to a 12 year old's life after he sees his first?

Its a beautiful thing.

Tipi Walter
11-10-2007, 11:52
Ever see what a bear can do to a corn field?

Ever see what humans can do to the landscape?

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 11:54
Ever see what humans can do to the landscape?

o.k. time for all humans to commit suicide so the bears can rule. who's going first?

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 12:02

This is a long running debate. . . it is difficult to define "overpopulated", although there are definitely "enough" bears in western Maryland, from a wildlife biologists standpoint, which is why Maryland allows bear hunting. There has been an increase in "nuisance" bears lately in Maryland too, though how many instances is too many is anyone's opinion.

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 12:11
Hunting bear is killing for fun, not a sport!

Mankind has to protect animals such as the bear, and protect the shrinking habitat. Hunting to cull a overpopulated deer population or to eradicate an non indigenous species such as wild hogs in the park can be helpful and has a purpose. Most bear population don't fit that category.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 12:19
Most bear population don't fit that category.

it does in western maryland. culling is a good thing. and yes, hunting is fun. you ever shot dove? that's some fast food right there!

Tipi Walter
11-10-2007, 12:26
Hunting bear is killing for fun, not a sport!

Mankind has to protect animals such as the bear, and protect the shrinking habitat. Hunting to cull a overpopulated deer population or to eradicate an non indigenous species such as wild hogs in the park can be helpful and has a purpose. Most bear population don't fit that category.

A shrinking habitat about says it all. With human popluation exploding and sprawl nearly everywhere, what are the bears to do? More and more of them will be labeled as "nuisances" and yet very few people consider the fact that we too are nuisances. Mass human suicides to solve this problem is ridiculous, solving it requires only a lowering of the current birthrate and the eventual balancing of our population with other wildlife populations.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 12:28
Mass human suicides to solve this problem is ridiculous, solving it requires only a lowering of the current birthrate and the eventual balancing of our population with other wildlife populations.

we could be like china. 1 kid per household

StarLyte
11-10-2007, 12:45
I bet Coty's daddy has a bigger gun.

I bet Coty shot that bear to please her daddy.

I bet Coty doesn't sleep well for a long time.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 12:47

why do you say that?

NICKTHEGREEK
11-10-2007, 12:57
It was a Big one.

Big bear or little tiny hunter.

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 13:14
I bet Coty's daddy has a bigger gun.

How sexist. Would you say that if he was a 20 year old man?

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 13:55
A shrinking habitat about says it all. With human popluation exploding and sprawl nearly everywhere, what are the bears to do? More and more of them will be labeled as "nuisances" and yet very few people consider the fact that we too are nuisances. Mass human suicides to solve this problem is ridiculous, solving it requires only a lowering of the current birthrate and the eventual balancing of our population with other wildlife populations.

Tipi Walter, thank you for speaking out. Mankind is out of control with the sprawl problem. When I was living in NC, I had bear on my property. I was shocked to find out, that most state wildlife studies fixed the popluation on the number of "havests" they have of bear that year. They considered the population healthiest when they had the largest number of harvested bear. Don't be surprised if this is the level of scientific study applied to other poplations, perhaps even in Maryland. Most hunters get a stat like that and cite that as their answer for killing bear, yet the stat is not really a good indicator of the popluation's vitality. Many endangered poplulations of animals have been because of manmade chemicals introduced into the food chain, irresponsible destruction of habitat and over hunting.

mudhead
11-10-2007, 13:58
Just for the record, bears stink.

Time to switch this to the hunt/no hunt forum.

Just for the record, eye hunt.

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 13:58

Starlyte, you are so right. Someday she will regret killing that beautiful animal, perhaps she already does.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 14:00
Starlyte, you are so right. Someday she will regret killing that beautiful animal, perhaps she already does.

you obviously know jack s**t about hunting :)

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 14:15

L.Wolf,

I don't wish to trade insults with you. Sorry we don't agree on this issue. I am sure we both love the outdoors or we wouldn't be interested in hiking the AT.

Actually I was born and raised in rural KY to a family of hunters and I have come to a different perspective thru years of seeing hunters and being exposed to their ideas regarding wildlife. I am only speaking out because I truly haven't been exposed to a slew of "responsible" hunters. Mostly bubba's and Cheney types, whom I consider people without much exposure to other ideas or sensitivity to environmental issues.

mudhead
11-10-2007, 14:18
Don't you NYers keep a second meat freezer? That you filled with the meat gun?

Just poking fun, I prefer beans and rice.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 14:23
Here's some recipes for Coty www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html i wonder if she sold the gall bladder? the chinese pay big bucks

chief
11-10-2007, 14:39
L.Wolf,

I don't wish to trade insults with you. Sorry we don't agree on this issue. I am sure we both love the outdoors or we wouldn't be interested in hiking the AT.

Actually I was born and raised in rural KY to a family of hunters and I have come to a different perspective thru years of seeing hunters and being exposed to their ideas regarding wildlife. I am only speaking out because I truly haven't been exposed to a slew of "responsible" hunters. Mostly bubba's and Cheney types, whom I consider people without much exposure to other ideas or sensitivity to environmental issues.So, how exactly does your experience with hunters lead you to believe the young lady may now or will regret killing that bear? Were you projecting or just sucking up to Statlyte?

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 14:40
The way deer are being hit by cars I'm wondering if anyone is doing any hunting at all. That said, I've bagged more deer with an automobile than I ever did with a gun.

STEVEM
11-10-2007, 14:43
Here's some recipes for Coty www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html (http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html) i wonder if she sold the gall bladder? the chinese pay big bucks

LW, See last line: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/BearHunt_BearRegs.asp

I doubt that you'd want Coty to break the law, especially since killing this bear was such a wonderful experience for her.

taildragger
11-10-2007, 15:23

I don't think that I have ever read anything on this site that makes less sense than that.

What do you do to help widlife populations? Look at them from the trail and go "Ahh, how cute" or do you actually take an active part?

I've been a hunter since I was 5, at least thats when I got my first rifle. I was taught to hunt responsibly. I've learned how to help deer population, the ranch that I hunt back home now produces great deer, good healthy population. Part of that is because I'll ride anyone down all year if they shoot a poor young buck, only healthy 5.5 or older deer should be shot until. We now see lots of big bucks, whereas 10 yrs ago my 13 pt 140 lbs (scored 150) was the largest they had seen in over 25 years. I shoot mainly does, I shoot deer to feed myself the rest of the year. I keep the deer population in check, the only thing out there other than myself and a few of the other bowhunters is the mountain lion that roams the river every now and then.

I do agree that there is something wrong with hunting for sport, if you don't do anything with the meat. In about 20 minutes I'm heading out to a pumpkin patch with my bow, hopefully I'll get another doe (3rd for the year, with just a bow) and this one will get donated to sportsman against hunger.

See, thats a hunter helping out the less fortunate by giving them about 80lbs of good meat. I usually end up donate close to 150 if I can get a good buck. The doe that I killed last week has been feeding me and will feed me until I move from this Godforsaken state that you now call home (NY).

And as for hikers and the debate about hunting, who do you think pays the most for wildlife protection? Hunters do. We buy the tags, licenses, ammo, and weapons, all of which are taxes, usually only levied against us, that pays for WMA and most DEC's. Most of the people out protecting the Playas on the plains, or wolves, or the elk, or the carribou, or the moose, or even the bears are hunters. I've been a part of building wetlands, educating the public, and helping with wildlife research for quite some time now. Hunters are doing more to protect this habitat than most hikers or yuppies will ever do.

As for hunting bear, I see that there is something almost magical there. If I had had the freezer space, my bow and I would have gone out to stalk a bear. I'd love to be pitted against a predator that is on par with myself. I'd love to eat it, I'd love to use its hide to keep me warm, and I would cherish the claws as a reminder that there are others than can hunt me if I'm not hunting them.

Last thing, remember the turkey population back in the 50's? Remember how many deer there used to be as well? Check out how it was hunters that helped bring back a lot of these species.

Rant off for now, I need to hose down with scent killer and hop in the truck.

taildragger
11-10-2007, 15:26
you ever shot dove? that's some fast food right there!

Mmm, marinade with a little zesty italian, wrap in bacon with some jalepenos, throw 'er on the grill and mmmmmm tasty, my mouth is watering right now (works with pidgeons to, bid ol' rock doves)

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 15:26
So, how exactly does your experience with hunters lead you to believe the young lady may now or will regret killing that bear? Were you projecting or just sucking up to Statlyte?

Chief,

There has seen so much habitat destruction and sprawl that someday Coty may wake up to a new reality of the black bear is endangered in Maryland and that her hunting may have been part of the problem.

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 15:35
With proper management, hunting is never a part of the problem. Loss of habitat is almost always the problem.

woodsy
11-10-2007, 15:39
Chief,

There has seen so much habitat destruction and sprawl that someday Coty may wake up to a new reality of the black bear is endangered in Maryland and that her hunting may have been part of the problem.

Get over it man, That old bear was close to expiring anyway. If Maryland runs out of bears, we Mainers will be glad to ship them some of our 20,000 or so.

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 16:32
Get over it man, That old bear was close to expiring anyway. If Maryland runs out of bears, we Mainers will be glad to ship them some of our 20,000 or so.

Woodsy,

If only there was an inexhaustible supply of trees, habitat and bears.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 16:34
removed.

take that crap to the POLITICS forum

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 16:37
Woodsy,

Perhaps Woodsy was just trying to point out that Maine, which allows a lot of bears to be shot every year, does not have a shortage of bears, because it has a huge amount of habitat. Bears require a lot of habitat. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 16:45
Ya'll take that crap to the politics forum.

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 16:46
I don't think that I have ever read anything on this site that makes less sense than that.

What do you do to help widlife populations? Look at them from the trail and go "Ahh, how cute" or do you actually take an active part?

I've been a hunter since I was 5, at least thats when I got my first rifle. I was taught to hunt responsibly. I've learned how to help deer population, the ranch that I hunt back home now produces great deer, good healthy population. Part of that is because I'll ride anyone down all year if they shoot a poor young buck, only healthy 5.5 or older deer should be shot until. We now see lots of big bucks, whereas 10 yrs ago my 13 pt 140 lbs (scored 150) was the largest they had seen in over 25 years. I shoot mainly does, I shoot deer to feed myself the rest of the year. I keep the deer population in check, the only thing out there other than myself and a few of the other bowhunters is the mountain lion that roams the river every now and then.

I do agree that there is something wrong with hunting for sport, if you don't do anything with the meat. In about 20 minutes I'm heading out to a pumpkin patch with my bow, hopefully I'll get another doe (3rd for the year, with just a bow) and this one will get donated to sportsman against hunger.

See, thats a hunter helping out the less fortunate by giving them about 80lbs of good meat. I usually end up donate close to 150 if I can get a good buck. The doe that I killed last week has been feeding me and will feed me until I move from this Godforsaken state that you now call home (NY).

And as for hikers and the debate about hunting, who do you think pays the most for wildlife protection? Hunters do. We buy the tags, licenses, ammo, and weapons, all of which are taxes, usually only levied against us, that pays for WMA and most DEC's. Most of the people out protecting the Playas on the plains, or wolves, or the elk, or the carribou, or the moose, or even the bears are hunters. I've been a part of building wetlands, educating the public, and helping with wildlife research for quite some time now. Hunters are doing more to protect this habitat than most hikers or yuppies will ever do.

As for hunting bear, I see that there is something almost magical there. If I had had the freezer space, my bow and I would have gone out to stalk a bear. I'd love to be pitted against a predator that is on par with myself. I'd love to eat it, I'd love to use its hide to keep me warm, and I would cherish the claws as a reminder that there are others than can hunt me if I'm not hunting them.

Last thing, remember the turkey population back in the 50's? Remember how many deer there used to be as well? Check out how it was hunters that helped bring back a lot of these species.

L. Wolf,

Culling of an overpopulated species can be a solution to that problem. I commend you for being part of that process when you have. I would hope all hunters use the meat and fur when they hunt. Feeding the hungry, hey that's great.

However, it always amuses me to hear people present such a possitive slant on guns and killing. <REMOVED DUE TO POLICAL STATEMENT KEEP THAT CRAP IN THE POLITICAL AREA ONLY!!! dixicritter>
Anyway, I wish all you that disagree with me well. I know that there will not be any minds changed here.

Peace

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 16:49
L. Wolf,

Culling of an overpopulated species can be a solution to that problem. I commend you for being part of that process when you have. I would hope all hunters use the meat and fur when they hunt. Feeding the hungry, hey that's great.

However, it always amuses me to hear people present such a possitive slant on guns and killing. {snipped}

Anyway, I wish all you that disagree with me well. I know that there will not be any minds changed here.

Peace

once again, take that scat to the POLITICS forum

dixicritter
11-10-2007, 16:53
NYC Hiker, stop posting the political statements here in the main hiking forums. Those belong in the Political Area only. I've edited two posts in this thread of yours now. Please don't let this happen again.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 16:55
However, it always amuses me to hear people present such a possitive slant on guns and killing.

guns are made for killing. positively. you find that amusing?

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 16:58
I have been asked to not to continue with this thread in main hiking forum because my responses have been deemed political. I will of course respect the administor.

Peace

Just a Hiker
11-10-2007, 17:11
It was a Big one.

That was a big bear!! I wonder how old it was?

Just Jim

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 17:24

Just Jim

Sure am glad to see you here, Jim.

woodsy
11-10-2007, 18:30

Just Jim
Too old and was probably heading for a slow and painful death by starvation.
Unless of course it ran into NYC-hiker on the trail and decided to give him a BIG bear hug.

Some Black Bear Facts:
Size: American black bears vary in size depending on sex, food availability and quality, and other factors. Male black bears may grow 20 to 60 percent larger than females, and can grow more than six feet long and weigh up to 650 pounds. Females rarely reach that length, and do not weigh more than 175 pounds. Black bears stand around three feet tall at the shoulder.

Geographic Distribution: American black bears range from Alaska and much of Canada south to mountains in northern Mexico. Historically, they did not inhabit southwestern deserts. Today, they are also gone from large parts of the central and eastern U.S.

Status: Unlike the other seven bear species, many American black bear populations are thriving. Only the isolated Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi populations are listed as threatened by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. However, other unlisted but scattered populations, such as those in Florida, are vulnerable to poaching, habitat loss, and roadkill deaths. Some estimates put the continent's black bear population at about a half million.

Habitat: Highly adaptable and with varied food tastes, the American black bear inhabits a wide range of habitats, including arid scrub, southern swamps, and dense coniferous and deciduous forests.

Natural Diet: The American black bear's diet is varied, but mostly vegetarian, including twigs, roots, berries, young plants, and buds. Insects—from beetles to ants to bee larvae eaten with honey—are also important. Small mammals and fish augment the diet, when they are easily caught. Reproduction: American black bears mate during the early summer months. Females mature after three to four years, and usually give birth to two cubs, every other year. Young are born in mid-winter in the female's den, and stay with their mothers for about a year (including up to five months in the winter den). Although slow breeders, American black bears reproduce faster than brown bears, which helps them sustain hunting and other pressures.

Life Span: American black bears live up to 32 years in the wild. The Zoo's famous Smokey the Bear lived to about 27 years.

FWIW
Woodsy

taildragger
11-10-2007, 20:10
Originally Posted by taildragger http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=446297#post446297)

L. Wolf,

However, it always amuses me to hear people present such a possitive slant on guns and killing. <REMOVED DUE TO POLICAL STATEMENT KEEP THAT CRAP IN THE POLITICAL AREA ONLY!!! dixicritter>

Peace

Why am I quoted as L. Wolf (this seems to happen to me every so often)

taildragger
11-10-2007, 20:14
Black bears are basically just large coons, if a bunch of coons can live somewhere, so can the bear.

They're amazing, and the fact that that particular bear lived to be as old and as large as it was is a statement to the goodness of the habitat that its been living in (probably getting some good leftover steak from the city fleerers ;) )

On a sad note though, there were no deer at the farm that I hunt, there hasn't been nearly as much activity as there was before I showed up (good news for the farmer though)

NYC_Hiker
11-10-2007, 20:14
taildragger,

sorry to have missqoted you as L. Wolf.

Just a Hiker
11-10-2007, 20:16
Sure am glad to see you here, Jim.

Thanks! It's good to be back. I just finished hiking the 100 mile wilderness. It was fun, but cold, and I ran into more snow than I bargained for. I was going to do all of Maine, but I would have to carry more gear than I like to carry. But I had fun, and there is definately no water shortage since the Hurricane Noel storm hit New England last week. :D

Just Jim

mudhead
11-10-2007, 20:20
Glad you had fun. Hope you are healing well. Wet enough for ya?

rickb
11-10-2007, 20:24
Pretty simple stuff.

Bear is dead.

AT hikers will never see that bear.

Good thing for AT hikers?

I don't think so.

I see its loss no different than another clear cut.

MD limits the total state cull to 70 bears. Why? They don't have all that many bears to eat. Again, simple stuff.

Do hikers want to see bears? I think so. Not a complicated concept.

Hunter gets a rug, hikers get to hike without seeing that bear.

Three cheers for the hunter?

Not from me.

YMMV.

Just a Hiker
11-10-2007, 20:26
Glad you had fun. Hope you are healing well. Wet enough for ya?

It was nice to be hiking again, and the face is healing nicely!! Thanks for asking! That Hurricane Noel storm we got filled the streams right back up to normal levels. The Long Pond Stream ford was pretty exciting!!:banana

Just Jim

taildragger
11-10-2007, 20:54
Pretty simple stuff.

Bear is dead.

I don't think so.

I see its loss no different than another clear cut.

MD limits the total state cull to 70 bears. Why? They don't have all that many bears to eat. Again, simple stuff.

Do hikers want to see bears? I think so. Not a complicated concept.

Three cheers for the hunter?

Not from me.

YMMV.

Thats got to be the worst opposition to a hunting post that I've read.
So, because someone treats nature different than you, you see it as bad. Just because you won't see a bear that you would likely never see. That bear got big for a reason, it wasn't seen by humans very much, if it all during the last few days, before someone saw it and shot it.

Do you personally do anything actively to protect any species? I doubt it. Cody did, she had to when she bought the ammo and hunting tags.

I really hate hearing thoughts like this. Most of the people that are against my hunting have never been pro-active in protecting species. I welcome the big cat and bears back to Oklahoma. I think its cool that we might get a season for bear once the population gets bigger (and it is). Why is it that people like me will always take crapp for hunting, yet we're the ones out there on the front lines making sure that these species will survive. I've helped make 3 seasonal wetlands, and welcome beavers (unless they damage a pond). Yet, when I shoot a duck, I'm a horrible person, and all of a sudden I'm out to kill every duck on the planet and destroy all their habitat.

***, whats wrong with Americans. If you want to help the population of bears, get involved with conservation efforts. The hunting season will be beneficial to the bears because it provides the funds for protecting them from development and the general population. The money spent on hunting and fishing can go towards managing and keeping the WMA's, possibly even attaining more.

So, once again, I ask why this was so bad? This chick (very attractive one at that) is probably doing more for the bear population of her state than all the people complaining about her actions on this board.

If you wanna protect wildlife, get off your armchair and do something about it. Hiking the AT ain't gonna protect those bears.

rickb
11-10-2007, 21:14
It a LNT thing.

She removed a bear that I and others could enjoy in the wild.

She got a rug and bragging rights. The rest of us got one less bear in the woods.

Simple.

That is one reason why I am against it.

There are others.

Resource protection is vital for the protection of wildlife, and people should contribute to make this happen. On that count we agree.

BTW, I don't think hunters are horrible people. I respect the Aldo Leopold ethic more than you might be able to imagine. I am simply stating that I see the cull of this bear as a net loss. She gets something, we lose something. The bear population is not appreciably benefiting from hunting permit fees in MD. No moralising from me. Just seeing a net loss. YMMV.

woodsy
11-10-2007, 21:19
It never fails, anytime someone mentions something about hunting, providing info about hunting seasons for the hiker's safety sake, a certain few people come out of the woodwork blasting hunters and hunting as though it hasn't been going on since the beginning of mankind.
Anyone else notice that they are usually metropolitan inhabitants far removed from where the wildlife(animals) actually roam.:rolleyes:Maybe this is why they seem to understand so little about wildlife management.

Alligator
11-10-2007, 21:23
Too old and was probably heading for a slow and painful death by starvation.
Unless of course it ran into NYC-hiker on the trail and decided to give him a BIG bear hug.
...It was a record 615 lb. bear:eek: . I don't quite buy that he was starving Woodsy;) .

rickb
11-10-2007, 21:25
I am smart enough to know that the best way to reduce problem deer populations is not to limit the hunt to bucks.

But then again I am not a professional wildlife manager.

Jarhead16
11-10-2007, 21:27

I must concur:eek:

Jarhead16
11-10-2007, 21:30

They must've never gone hiking before!!!!!:D

woodsy
11-10-2007, 21:33
It was a record 615 lb. bear:eek: . I don't quite buy that he was starving Woodsy;) .
No, but he was slowing down, enough to get shot by a young girl without dogs or bait;) Probably alzheimers, forgot he was a bear during hunting season.

Alligator
11-10-2007, 21:40
No, but he was slowing down, enough to get shot by a young girl without dogs or bait;) Probably alzheimers, forgot he was a bear during hunting season.Oh there was bait involved, make no mistake about that. It's as plain as day in that photo:eek: .

woodsy
11-10-2007, 21:42
Oh there was bait involved, make no mistake about that. It's as plain as day in that photo:eek: .
That's just too funny, i would have layed down too!

taildragger
11-10-2007, 21:58
I am smart enough to know that the best way to reduce problem deer populations is not to limit the hunt to bucks.

But then again I am not a professional wildlife manager.

True, I'm new to the East, but I used to work in wildlife. Theres a reason that I won't shoot anything below a class 120 buck, even with my bow. However, I am a meat hunter and I usually shoot at least three does a year (tasty) and bucks are just hamburger meat with horns as far as I am concerned. And NY is blowing my mind in that during the regular gun season you can only shoot a buck, unless you drew out for a doe permit. Thankfully, with my bow I have a total of 3 doe tags that I plan to fill, and I'm elligible for a fourth. Although the buck that I saw tonight is lookin mighty temptin :D he's a fatty.

I don't think its a problem of limiting the hunt to just bucks, but rather that a lot of hunters are horn hunters (thats why in most of NY you don't see big bucks, at least what I consider to be big bucks). A lot of richer people hunt and just donate the meat, they want the horns, and that is rather annoying, but I'll just shoot the does that they didn't and try to get a good buck to doe ratio going (about 1:2 would be nice, not 1:85)

Welp, I gotta run back to the kitchen and finish up the butchering of my last deer.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 22:27
Bear is dead.

Do hikers want to see bears?

"hikers" are scared s**tless about seeing a bear. they load up with sprays and such to COMBAT that extremely rare, almost no chance of seeing one. hikers are weenies :)

canerunner
11-10-2007, 22:58
Woodsy,

I hate to say so, but you are using some pretty twisted logic here. It's kinda like saying we don't have enough fish because there are too may bicycles.

Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with habitat destruction. Hunters spend more every year to protect habitat and protect endangered wildlife that ANYONE else.

I surely have known a few people who owned guns who were slobs, and some of them were good at destroying anything around. Those people were NOT hunters. They were just slobs with guns. Some of them were very wealthy slobs with guns, too. Just because they have money and expensive toys doesn't mean thay have ethics.

Some of the greatest experiences I've had while hunting ended up with me never taking a shot. Not because I didn't have a chance, but because I chose not to.

taildragger
11-10-2007, 23:51
Some of the greatest experiences I've had while hunting ended up with me never taking a shot. Not because I didn't have a chance, but because I chose not to.

Amen brothuh

rickb
11-11-2007, 00:29
Hunters spend more every year to protect habitat and protect endangered wildlife that ANYONE else.If the 200 bear permits MD issues each year were eliminated, the amount of habitat protected in that state would not be affected one bit.

The only thing that would be affected is that 50 to 70 black bears would not end up as rugs or stuffed in a natural pose.

There is a big difference in trophy hunting for black bear and hunting deer. That said, anyone who enjoys the outdoors should recognize that hunters have played a key role and a ton of money to keep lands wild. Not being keen on a bear hunt in MD doesn't mean anyone is knocking hunters. And I got to give kudos for MD prohibitting hunting with dogs and bait, too. That's not the case up and down much of the AT. Good luck with your deer this year.

The Mechanical Man
11-11-2007, 04:03
They taste GREAT.....................
FYI, Bear season in Pennsylvania starts in one week.

"When you see a BIG BLACK BEAR walking through the woods, I see roasts, steaks, ground meat, and smoked bologna".

I have leglallly killed and eaten a black bear in the past, and ready to try again soon.

If you want to see a real Black Bear rug, just take a walk down the road at Smith Gap Pa.
See your thru hiking handbooks for more information - Smith Gap Road.
John - The Mechanical Man

saimyoji
11-11-2007, 08:59
"hikers" are scared s**tless about seeing a bear. they load up with sprays and such to COMBAT that extremely rare, almost no chance of seeing one. hikers are weenies :)

I ran into a hiking duo with a dog not long ago. They had strapped about 10 bells onto the poor mutt. I commented on their low chance of seeing any wildlife. They responded that they had seen a bear the day before. I reasserted that the chances of that happening again were very slim. I expressed my relief as to not be their dog. They looked at me quizzically. Glad they were walking in the opposite direction.

oldfivetango
11-11-2007, 09:09

Yup,I have hunted since childhood.I won't kill something unless I plan
to eat it.I do not eat bear SO I guess I won't ever kill one unless it is
trying to eat me.

Oh,and animal heads on walls is about the worst idea I ever heard of.
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 09:11
Oh,and animal heads on walls is about the worst idea I ever heard of.

so are thru-hiking certificates

Tipi Walter
11-11-2007, 09:15
I hate to say so, but you are using some pretty twisted logic here. It's kinda like saying we don't have enough fish because there are too may bicycles.

Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with habitat destruction. Hunters spend more every year to protect habitat and protect endangered wildlife that ANYONE else.

I surely have known a few people who owned guns who were slobs, and some of them were good at destroying anything around. Those people were NOT hunters. They were just slobs with guns. Some of them were very wealthy slobs with guns, too. Just because they have money and expensive toys doesn't mean thay have ethics.

If hunters spend more every year to protect habitat and protect endangered wildlife, why then is there more habitat destruction than ever before, and why does Tennessee have 70 animals on the endangered species list? This list includes the gray bat, crayfish, bald eagle, oyster mussel, eastern puma, squirrel and red wolf.

I understand the impact of human overpopulation on wilflife survival, just look at the extinction of the California grizzly bear, but if hunters are serious about habitat destruction, species overexploitation and the serious affects of pollution on animal populations, why aren't they zealously demanding the closing of more forest roads and fighting to increase roadless areas?

When the Knoxville city limits keep spreading out with logging and home building, ugly treeless tracts common to every city, why aren't hunters out there stopping it? Or trying to? Sure, backpackers should be fighting too, but there's been several comments on hunters being conservationists, land stewards and wildlife protectors, and yet as far as I can tell, there's more cars, more development, more roads, more pollution, more endangered animals, and more fees, rules, regulations, needed permits to access what's left of the wild lands, than ever before.

MOWGLI
11-11-2007, 09:16
so are thru-hiking certificates

Mines in a box somewhere. Is it only bad when they are on the wall?

I remember someone on Hobocentral posted photos of a Bobcat he shot. That's pretty dumb shooting a Bobcat. I don't care who you are. What's the point?

Deer? No problem. I'd love to hunt for them one day myself. Turkey too.

NYC_Hiker
11-11-2007, 10:12
ok, if I give you that many of you are responsible hunters and care deeply about the environment and the animal polulations. Whay about those hunters that are not responsible and the problems caused by them? What do we do about that?

http://www.biodiversityproject.org/bdoverhunting.htm

http://www.smm.org/buzz/buzz_tags/endangered_species

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/issues_facing_wildlife/protecting_threatened_and_endangered_species.html

and so on and so on.........................................

JAK
11-11-2007, 10:42
You can eat bear. Women are not supposed to eat the paws though. I think it has to do with women being dangerous enough already.

The main focus should be on preserving, and restoring, natural habitat. We should think about working towards a smaller more sustainable human population. We don't need to do that by killing people. If we don't work towards a smaller more sustainable human population we will end up killing people, and just about everything else.

I wonder what brand of donuts she used.

Skidsteer
11-11-2007, 10:43
ok, if I give you that many of you are responsible hunters and care deeply about the environment and the animal polulations. Whay about those hunters that are not responsible and the problems caused by them? What do we do about that?

What about those hikers that are not responsible and the problems caused by them? What do we do about that?

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 10:46
The main focus should be on preserving, and restoring, natural habitat. We should think about working towards a smaller more sustainable human population. We don't need to do that by killing people. If we don't work towards a smaller more sustainable human population we will end up killing people, and just about everything else.

ain't gonna happen in the northeastern part of the U.S. so a bear hunt/harvest/cull is needed. end of story

Flush2wice
11-11-2007, 10:47
I wonder what brand of donuts she used.

Smokies rangers use Krispy Kreme when they trap bears. They are irresistible to bears.

JAK
11-11-2007, 10:49
ain't gonna happen in the northeastern part of the U.S. so a bear hunt/harvest/cull is needed. end of storyI think a bear hunt, harvest, cull, has always been needed. I'm just not sure 10 billion people are needed to do it. :)

Flush2wice
11-11-2007, 11:05
Here's another article (http://www.times-news.com/outdoors/local_story_296094203.html) about the MD bear hunt. Apparently there are 2 counties in MD open to bear hunting. The bear population in those counties is estimated at 500 which is considered large enough to need culling.

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 11:44
They taste GREAT.....................
FYI, Bear season in Pennsylvania starts in one week.

"When you see a BIG BLACK BEAR walking through the woods, I see roasts, steaks, ground meat, and smoked bologna".

I have leglallly killed and eaten a black bear in the past, and ready to try again soon.

If you want to see a real Black Bear rug, just take a walk down the road at Smith Gap Pa.
See your thru hiking handbooks for more information - Smith Gap Road.
John - The Mechanical Man

I was given some bear meat last month and I obviously didn't prepare it properly because it was really tough. It was from a male; however, I have been told meat from a female is better. Any cooking tips?

Just Jim

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 11:49
8-9 hours in a crock pot on low

woodsy
11-11-2007, 11:49
Bear cooked on the BBQ grill gets the grease out. Bear Jerky is good stuff to take hiking too.

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 11:58
8-9 hours in a crock pot on low

I should have done that.....I will next time. Maybe some slow-cooked Bear BBQ? Have a good Veteran's Day Wolf, did you toast Chesty alot lastnight?

Just Jim

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 11:59
I should have done that.....I will next time. Maybe some slow-cooked Bear BBQ? Have a good Veteran's Day Wolf, did you toast Chesty alot lastnight?

Just Jim

not a lot. but just enuf. will toast veterans today

JAK
11-11-2007, 12:29
Thanks for the recipes L.Wolf. Something I would like to try some day. Margaret and I are still working on our first grey squirrel. Some of them can get pretty big also. Hope you have a good veteran's day.

veteran
11-11-2007, 12:51
http://www.examiner.com/a-1019863~Record_bear_highlights_successful_season.h tml?cid=rel-v1

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 12:55
http://www.examiner.com/a-1019863~Record_bear_highlights_successful_season.h tml?cid=rel-v1

I love women with guns!!:banana

mudhead
11-11-2007, 12:58
I love women with guns!!:banana

Let that one age a little.

Wonder what her Mom looks like? Wuff!

rickb
11-11-2007, 12:58
Now, Travis Taxidermy in Chestertown is completing a full body mount that will go into the new 40-by-60 game room that Phillip built for the trophies of his Canadian and Alaskan hunting trips.

That's a big room.

Dad must be as good a shot as his daughter.

Dances with Mice
11-11-2007, 13:05
I was given some bear meat last month and I obviously didn't prepare it properly because it was really tough. It was from a male; however, I have been told meat from a female is better. Any cooking tips?If I had a chunk of bear I'd marinate it in a light brine (half-cup salt per gallon of water) plus the same amount of a sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup, or molasses) plus a third of a cup total of whatever mix of spices appeal to you (garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper, dried oregano, rosemary, basil, lemon zest, whatever.) Add brine to cover and refrigerate overnight.

Rinse off the brine, dry, then spread on a layer of honey-mustard salad dressing. Slow cook until tender. 250'ish F in oven, crockpot, or BBQ smoker.

The brine will pull out some of the gaminess and add moisture and some flavor. Mustard is a meat tenderizer, the salad dressing has just enough sugar to form a crust. Slow cooking will break down tough connective tissue.

I'm thinking sides of black beans and red cabbage braised in apple cider.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 13:11
Thanks! It's good to be back. I just finished hiking the 100 mile wilderness. It was fun, but cold, and I ran into more snow than I bargained for. I was going to do all of Maine, but I would have to carry more gear than I like to carry. But I had fun, and there is definately no water shortage since the Hurricane Noel storm hit New England last week. :D

Just Jim

Glad to hear you had a good time. I was up there in September, and it was pretty dry; some of the water that was not supposed to be "seasonal" had decided to be seasonal anyway. Did you see any bears (trying to keep it on subject!). I saw the butt end of one up there. Also, have you ever done that hike in the winter? We were talking about that on another thread, I hope you'll chip in there if you have.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 13:12
Why am I quoted as L. Wolf (this seems to happen to me every so often)

I think it might be because you have the same avatar/icon whatever you call it.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 13:14
It was nice to be hiking again, and the face is healing nicely!! Thanks for asking! That Hurricane Noel storm we got filled the streams right back up to normal levels. The Long Pond Stream ford was pretty exciting!!:banana

Just Jim

Ha! That of course is the downside of enough water. I boulder-hopped that one two months ago.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 13:20
I am not a hunter nor could I become one - couldn't shoot a bear, deer, or other animal. But I support hunting, am always friendly to hunters when I meet them hiking (and they are to me), and have no problem with my state's bear hunt in light of the support by state wildlife bioolgists. In partial answer to Tipi Walter's post about what hunters do to protect open space, hunters in Western MD have turned out to oppose a new highway corridor which bisects a state hunting area. Indeed, I believe hunters and non-hunting enviros have much in common.

Having said that, 2 things I loathe:

1. Using dogs with collars to tree bears so that the fat lazy hunter can waddle and stagger to the tree to shoot the bear. Anyone who does shouldn't have the audacity to call himself a "sportsman."

2. The term "harvesting." The a-hole outdoor columnist for the Cumberland Times Union who spends half his columns belittling anti-hunting groups use this term as do officials in the hunting establishment. What's the point? You're not going to placate the anti-hunting groups one bit with this nonsense euphimism and the hunting crowd is certainly not politically correct.

Tell it like it is - hunters are shooting bears, killing bears. That's the objective of the hunt. "Harvesting" is for wheat & corn.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 13:20
If the 200 bear permits MD issues each year were eliminated, the amount of habitat protected in that state would not be affected one bit.

The only thing that would be affected is that 50 to 70 black bears would not end up as rugs or stuffed in a natural pose.

There is a big difference in trophy hunting for black bear and hunting deer. That said, anyone who enjoys the outdoors should recognize that hunters have played a key role and a ton of money to keep lands wild. Not being keen on a bear hunt in MD doesn't mean anyone is knocking hunters. And I got to give kudos for MD prohibitting hunting with dogs and bait, too. That's not the case up and down much of the AT. Good luck with your deer this year.

It has been discovered that the bear Coty shot was actually from Pennsylvania, visiting his Maryland relatives. He got drunk and wandered out in front of her, and Coty plugged him. Therefore Coty didn't shoot a Maryland bear. Problem solved.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 13:24
If hunters spend more every year to protect habitat and protect endangered wildlife, why then is there more habitat destruction than ever before, and why does Tennessee have 70 animals on the endangered species list? This list includes the gray bat, crayfish, bald eagle, oyster mussel, eastern puma, squirrel and red wolf.

I resent that! I went hunting there last year, for gray bats and oyster mussels, and only shot one of each. That certainly could not have had much of a negative effect on the population!:)

canerunner
11-11-2007, 13:31

I guess the real question is why the people of Tennessee keep electing politicians that allow the habitat destruction to occur, and that allow large corporations to get away with doing just about anything they want to. Just because they are willing to contribute to their campaign funds or pay into the tax base should not give anyone Carte Blanche to destroy whatever they choose.

It comes back down to what is acceptable to the people. If it meant anything to the good citizens of Tennessee, things would probably change. If it doesn't, then things will continue the same way they have been going.

The money that hunters contribute to habitat protection kis distributed by the state through the agency that controls those funds. Most states return that money to the state owned hunting lands and other state parks and historic sites. Historically, most of the funding that these agencies receive are from license fees and use fees that hunters and fishermen pay.

rickb
11-11-2007, 13:33
"Harvesting" is for wheat & corn.

Then there is the oft repeated verb cull.

Which is misleading in that hunters strive to harvest the biggest & healthiest, and in no way look to cull the small, weak and sickly.

JAK
11-11-2007, 13:38
If I had a chunk of bear I'd marinate it in a light brine (half-cup salt per gallon of water) plus the same amount of a sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup, or molasses) plus a third of a cup total of whatever mix of spices appeal to you (garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper, dried oregano, rosemary, basil, lemon zest, whatever.) Add brine to cover and refrigerate overnight.

Rinse off the brine, dry, then spread on a layer of honey-mustard salad dressing. Slow cook until tender. 250'ish F in oven, crockpot, or BBQ smoker.

The brine will pull out some of the gaminess and add moisture and some flavor. Mustard is a meat tenderizer, the salad dressing has just enough sugar to form a crust. Slow cooking will break down tough connective tissue.

I'm thinking sides of black beans and red cabbage braised in apple cider.Is the refrigeration neccessary if it is covered? Does it depend on how long you soak it, or how you cook it afterwards. How do you cook it afterwards. I like stews, but I also like steaks. Is it neccessary to marinated beforehand if you are going to stew it anyways? A few more questions regarding bear: Any choice cuts? What do you do with all the bear fat? Does anyone still try and drink the stuff? How about sausage?

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 13:52

I understand the impact of human overpopulation on wilflife survival, just look at the extinction of the California grizzly bear, but if hunters are serious about habitat destruction, species overexploitation and the serious affects of pollution on animal populations, why aren't they zealously demanding the closing of more forest roads and fighting to increase roadless areas?

When the Knoxville city limits keep spreading out with logging and home building, ugly treeless tracts common to every city, why aren't hunters out there stopping it? Or trying to? Sure, backpackers should be fighting too, but there's been several comments on hunters being conservationists, land stewards and wildlife protectors, and yet as far as I can tell, there's more cars, more development, more roads, more pollution, more endangered animals, and more fees, rules, regulations, needed permits to access what's left of the wild lands, than ever before.

I guess the real question is why the people of Tennessee keep electing politicians that allow the habitat destruction to occur, and that allow large corporations to get away with doing just about anything they want to. Just because they are willing to contribute to their campaign funds or pay into the tax base should not give anyone Carte Blanche to destroy whatever they choose.

It comes back down to what is acceptable to the people. If it meant anything to the good citizens of Tennessee, things would probably change. If it doesn't, then things will continue the same way they have been going.

The money that hunters contribute to habitat protection kis distributed by the state through the agency that controls those funds. Most states return that money to the state owned hunting lands and other state parks and historic sites. Historically, most of the funding that these agencies receive are from license fees and use fees that hunters and fishermen pay.

It's very simple guys - property rights guaranteed by our constitution combined with people wanting to keep taxes down.

You set aside and protect habitat in one of two ways: (1) zoning and land use restrictions which must pass constitutional muster (can't trample on the constitutional property rights of those real estabe developers who finance local elections) or (2) the government buys the land outright which means revenue i.e. taxes must be raised. For desirable habitat near or adjacent to urban areas, this can be very expensive. Alternatively, buying development rights leaving landowners with title saves some $$$.

There is a 3rd way of course - private land trusts, the largest of which is The Nature Conservancy. These organizations purchase either land or the development rights to land. But of course they need funds also. I suspect that adding the sum total of land acreage protected by all such organizations (another example is Weary's MATLT (http://www.matlt.org/)) would still be insignificant relative to what's needed to mitigate sprawl.

JAK
11-11-2007, 13:54
I am not a hunter nor could I become one - couldn't shoot a bear, deer, or other animal. But I support hunting, am always friendly to hunters when I meet them hiking (and they are to me), and have no problem with my state's bear hunt in light of the support by state wildlife bioolgists. In partial answer to Tipi Walter's post about what hunters do to protect open space, hunters in Western MD have turned out to oppose a new highway corridor which bisects a state hunting area. Indeed, I believe hunters and non-hunting enviros have much in common.

Having said that, 2 things I loathe:

1. Using dogs with collars to tree bears so that the fat lazy hunter can waddle and stagger to the tree to shoot the bear. Anyone who does shouldn't have the audacity to call himself a "sportsman."

2. The term "harvesting." The a-hole outdoor columnist for the Cumberland Times Union who spends half his columns belittling anti-hunting groups use this term as do officials in the hunting establishment. What's the point? You're not going to placate the anti-hunting groups one bit with this nonsense euphimism and the hunting crowd is certainly not politically correct.

Tell it like it is - hunters are shooting bears, killing bears. That's the objective of the hunt. "Harvesting" is for wheat & corn.I think much the same way as you do. I prefer the word hunting, but also think hunting should always be for food, not for trophies. I also agree that some of the best conservationist are hunters, and some of the worst conservastionists are not. I also think people stand the best chance of becoming better conservastionists by learning directly from nature, and from their parents, rather than from politics of any form. As for bear hunting, I am ignorant of the details, but am inclined to prefer the traditional method, at least in the North, which was to drag the adult males them from their dens in winter, then kill them before they get too bushy tailed. This would probably not work so well down south, or out west. I think the problem with bear hunting is when people on either side try to make it some type of an aim and shoot sport like some other hunts. I am not sure bear hunting is about that. The only thing I would add however, is that if you kill it, you and your friends should eat it, all of it, or at least make a good show of it. Praise the bear for his great strength, and his great abilities to forage, and to feast, and to fast, and to survive a long cold and lean winter. Then drink your fill of bear fat.

dessertrat
11-11-2007, 14:05
As for bear hunting, I am ignorant of the details, but am inclined to prefer the traditional method, at least in the North, which was to drag the adult males them from their dens in winter, then kill them before they get too bushy tailed.

Now that's sporting! What do you kill them with after dragging them out? A lance?

Also, how do you know they are male before you drag them out? If you drag it out and it's a female, what then?

I think this is a sport I could get into.

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 14:58
Glad to hear you had a good time. I was up there in September, and it was pretty dry; some of the water that was not supposed to be "seasonal" had decided to be seasonal anyway. Did you see any bears (trying to keep it on subject!). I saw the butt end of one up there. Also, have you ever done that hike in the winter? We were talking about that on another thread, I hope you'll chip in there if you have.

This was the latest I had ever done the 100 mile wilderness. It was wet as I said, but I also had snow from Little Boardman Mt. all the way past Cloud Pond. I will take more gear next time if I go late in the year or in winter. It was fun though, I actually took pictures on this trip.

Just Jim

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 15:01
If I had a chunk of bear I'd marinate it in a light brine (half-cup salt per gallon of water) plus the same amount of a sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, syrup, or molasses) plus a third of a cup total of whatever mix of spices appeal to you (garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, black pepper, dried oregano, rosemary, basil, lemon zest, whatever.) Add brine to cover and refrigerate overnight.

I'm thinking sides of black beans and red cabbage braised in apple cider.

Thanks for the cooking tips! I have Venison Roast in the freezer, can I use this method on that as well?

Just Jim

JAK
11-11-2007, 15:33
Now that's sporting! What do you kill them with after dragging them out? A lance?

Also, how do you know they are male before you drag them out? If you drag it out and it's a female, what then?

I think this is a sport I could get into.I heard a story that said they could tell a mother was with cubs by the "smoke coming from the wigwam", meaning the amount of steam rising from the den in the dead of winter. As for the traditional method of killing, not sure. Probably a lance I should think.

Dances with Mice
11-11-2007, 17:30
Thanks for the cooking tips! I have Venison Roast in the freezer, can I use this method on that as well?Exactly the same. Game isn't marbled with fat and benefits from the brining. Another brine I like is to add half a cup of salt to a gallon of apple juice, which acts as the sweetener. I use that before smoking fresh pork hams.

I forgot to add: cook to an internal temp of 190F, way well done. But get there slowly.

mudhead
11-11-2007, 19:30
Cook well because...

Tell the whole story.

Dances with Mice
11-11-2007, 19:42
Cook well because...Tell the whole story.Bear meat could be an important component of a quick weight loss regimen.

You never know what a bear's been eating or what's eating it and is waiting to eat you, like trichinella (round worms). The same goes for all wild game. If you kill it and grill it, don't serve it medium rare.

ed bell
11-11-2007, 19:48
Round worms....mmmmm good.:D

Dances with Mice
11-11-2007, 20:27
Round worms....mmmmm good.:DA few roundworms never hurt anybody.

It takes a few thousand before it starts to hurt.

Huffy1
11-11-2007, 21:02
Coty and "Dad" hunt. I'll bet that she learned to shoot from good ole dad. So ther are two guns to worry over.:-?

Skidsteer
11-11-2007, 21:06
Coty and "Dad" hunt. I'll bet that she learned to shoot from good ole dad. So ther are two guns to worry over.:-?

Nah.

Just shave, walk on two legs, and be polite.

You'll be OK, I'm thinkin' :rolleyes: .

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 21:09

there can never be enuf guns

amigo
11-11-2007, 22:14
I'll say one thing for that photo -- it shows you exactly how high you need to hang your bear bag.

ScottP
11-11-2007, 22:23
Intelligent and reasonable environmentalists are scared about the decline in hunting's popularity in the states.

taildragger
11-12-2007, 08:57
Actually, some of do cull. I have a tendancy to shoot sick or weak animals, especially if its running females, or getting run (I believe in catalyzing evolution).

And as for harvesting, I think its more to placate the general public. It's usually only used in that sense as well, get around a group of hunters and you won't hear about what we harvested, instead you'll hear about what we killed. The term harvest should bring about less negative affects, especially since hunters are starting to become more of a minority and sometimes need to placate the general public to help keep them on our side for voting matters.

Lastly, running with dogs. There are some species that I do believe thats the way to go about the hunt. Cats are very very hard to hunt otherwise, and even running with a dog its still hard. And as for the fat hunter walking out of his car to shoot it out of a tree, not so much. When we ran cats with a dog we ran with the kennel boss dog (who is actually more likely to kill the cat than you are). We didn't get anything when I went out (something got treed but on another persons property) but we damn sure did get a work out from that trip.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 09:31
hog hunting with pit bulls looks like fun
www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm

EWS
11-12-2007, 09:40
www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm (http://www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm)Thought that was a closing time game in Country Bars.

MOWGLI
11-12-2007, 09:59
www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm

Let 'em leave the dogs home and try it. That'll impress me.

EWS
11-12-2007, 10:06
It is usually done without dogs in the midwest.

Sly
www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm (http://www.dogsonhogs.org/hunting.htm)

From the state that brought you internet hunting. :rolleyes:

Tipi Walter

And for bear hunters, let them track the thing on foot with a bowie knife, see how good a hunter they really are. And have something to tell the kids about(if they survive).

taildragger
11-12-2007, 10:13
People do hunt hogs with just knives, Tred Barta did it on his show once, he wasn't the best at it. There are some boys in Texas that are really good, there are also a few in New Zealand. As much as I want to take something on with my bowie knife (I've come close with a deer before) I don't want it to be as spry as a hog, I'll stick with my Ot 6 or me bow.

ChimneySpring
11-12-2007, 10:23
Chief,

Not gonna happen. Dare to actually have a conversation with the wildlife biologists? That's right... you know more than they do.

dessertrat
11-12-2007, 10:58

I know a guy who used to go hunting boar with a lance, alone. That is impressive.

mudhead
11-12-2007, 11:05
But the Lance Corporal was well armed.

Nearly Normal
11-12-2007, 20:21
The area this bear was killed in must have some mighty fine habitat. He's a wopper.

Nearly Normal

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 20:31
The area this bear was killed in must have some mighty fine habitat. He's a wopper.

Nearly Normal

garbage cans of rich folks.

woodsy
11-12-2007, 20:41
garbage cans of rich folks.
Biggest Bear ever killed in Maine was on a dump near Abol bridge, near Kathadin...650lbs+- mid 1980's. Garbage and dumps fatten em up quick.

rickb
11-12-2007, 20:49
When I was a kid we used to go to dumps outside of Algonquin Park to see bears "in their natural habitat".