PDA

View Full Version : Two different Outdoor companies

Kirby
11-10-2007, 11:37
As part of a busniess class I am taking through my high school, I need to conduct a SWOT(strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis. I have to choose an industry, I chose outdoor gear, and I need to choose two companies within that industry to analize. What I need is two companies that are in the outdoor industry, but are completely different in size, their intended market, and their overall goals.

Just start listing outdoor gear companies, large and small.

Thanks,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 11:39
Campmor, REI, EMS, Sierra Trading Post, L.L. Bean

Manach
11-10-2007, 11:41
MSR and Mo-Go-Gear.

Coleman and Hennessy.

Flush2wice
11-10-2007, 11:42
There's a bunch of them on Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=hiking+gear+stores&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLR_enUS248US248&start=0&sa=N).

Creek Dancer
11-10-2007, 11:42
Are you looking for outdoor gear manufacturers, or outdoor gear retailers?

Kirby
11-10-2007, 11:46
Are you looking for outdoor gear manufacturers, or outdoor gear retailers?

If you give manufacturers, give two so that I can compare them, I can easily compare manufacturer's and stores, unless a store is a manufacturer, such as LL Bean, North Face, and Patagonia.

Kirby

Kirby
11-10-2007, 11:47
* I can NOT easily compare them.

Typo,
Kirby

rafe
11-10-2007, 11:50
You could contrast big-name manufacturers against their cottage-industry competitors. Eg.

Gregory or Kelty versus Granite Gear or ULA.
Shires Tarptent or Gossamer Gear versus Eureka or Sierra Designs

Creek Dancer
11-10-2007, 11:52
Here are two for each that I think are very different with respect to type of gear, market, branding and maybe things like focus on world issues.

Manufacturers - Pantagonia and Columbia

Retailers - Dicks Sporting Goods, REI

Flush2wice
11-10-2007, 12:00
Walgreen's and Rite-Aid.

Kirby
11-10-2007, 12:16
Thanks everyone, I like the idea of comparing Pantagonia and Columbia, thanks for the idea Creek Dancer.

Thanks again everyone,
Kirby

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 13:30
Try something like Coleman versus Go-Lite, or REI versus Granite Gear. There can't be much more difference.

Kirby
11-10-2007, 13:39
Patagonia is either owned by someone else or is not publicy traded because they are not listed on the NYSE.

Kirby

rickb
11-10-2007, 13:43
Private. Owned by a famous climber with a French-sounding name that I won't try to spell. Very cool.

dessertrat
11-10-2007, 13:43
It appears that Patagonia may be owned by Lotus Designs, Inc. They have a message on their website mentioning a Lotus Designs recall of a PFD, and when I try to put lotusdesigns into a web address, it redirects to Patagonia's website.

YeOldeBackpacker
11-10-2007, 13:45
Patagonia, as well as go lite doesn't build anything, they farm it out, Patagonia socks are made by a small mill in NC far an example, and Timberland build some of the Go Lite shoes

YeOldeBackpacker
11-10-2007, 13:47
Which there is nothing wrong with, they are just a label they don't have their own production facilities

Appalachian Tater
11-10-2007, 13:49
What Terrapin said. A cottage-industry gear maker with a similar mass marketer. Henry Shires TarpTent vs. Eureka. The cottage industry guys seem to concentrate on and perfect products in a niche, usually lightweight gear, sometimes one type of lightweight gear, and it seems the bigger guys can't really compete or don't try, in the niche.

Another interesting comparison would be Feathered Friends and Marmot or Western Mountaineering.

The internet and independent outfitters are very important to the small guys.

Which there is nothing wrong with, they are just a label they don't have their own production facilities

Few companies do.

Appalachian Tater
11-10-2007, 13:54
Private. Owned by a famous climber with a French-sounding name that I won't try to spell. Very cool.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/patagonia.go?assetid=3351

YeOldeBackpacker
11-10-2007, 13:58
What Terrapin said. A cottage-industry gear maker with a similar mass marketer. Henry Shires TarpTent vs. Eureka. The cottage industry guys seem to concentrate on and perfect products in a niche, usually lightweight gear, sometimes one type of lightweight gear, and it seems the bigger guys can't really compete or don't try, in the niche.

Another interesting comparison would be Feathered Friends and Marmot or Western Mountaineering.

The internet and independent outfitters are very important to the small guys.

Few companies do.

That is correct, I was just using that as an example, Wenzel for example builds tents for a lot of the Big Box shops. Just as a private label, that is why some parts are interchangable.

FanaticFringer
11-10-2007, 17:50
Eureka tents-www.eurekatent.com
Jacks R Better hanmmocks and quilts-www.jacksrbetter.com

earthbound
11-10-2007, 21:10
REI vs Cabelas would be interesting.
I think Patagonia and MSR are related in some way... could be wrong about that though.

YeOldeBackpacker
11-10-2007, 21:26
REI vs Cabelas would be interesting.
I think Patagonia and MSR are related in some way... could be wrong about that though.
No MSR is part of Cascade Designs, which is Platypus,MSR,Thermarest, & Sealine

weary
11-10-2007, 21:57
Patagonia is either owned by someone else or is not publicy traded because they are not listed on the NYSE. Kirby
Visit the Patagonia store in Freeport and ask questions.

Weary

taildragger
11-10-2007, 22:13
Zelph vs MSR :banana

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 22:18
Fredericks vs. Victoria Secret

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-11-2007, 00:13
::: Dino whacks Wolf with tail :::

bobwhite
11-11-2007, 02:48
North Face and Granite Gear

Jerm
11-11-2007, 21:51
It appears that Patagonia may be owned by Lotus Designs, Inc. They have a message on their website mentioning a Lotus Designs recall of a PFD, and when I try to put lotusdesigns into a web address, it redirects to Patagonia's website.

patagonia bought lotus several years back, so they are now responsible for the recall. they are owned by yvon chouinard, who also started black diamond.

Appalachian Tater
11-11-2007, 22:23
Patagonia has a nine-page history of the company on its website. There is no need to speculate about its ownership.

trippedoutnatureboy
11-11-2007, 23:21
Didnt read all the responses But if not already mentioned Check out Equinox They are a Manufacturer and wholesale distributor Based out of Williamsport PA they make all types of UL backpacking gear as well as other Backpack supplies They make some quality gear and they are a small mom and pop type operation check them out and maybe pick up some gear not sure there exact momepage adress but you can google it to get more info hope that helps later

trippedoutnatureboy
11-11-2007, 23:25
Perhaps compare Go-lite with my fore-mentioned Equinox they make simiar gear and are definetly at the two ends of the spectrum in size ,mission and what not Just a thought Equinox is in my home town so I guess that might make me biased but thet do have really good Gear

Jerm
11-12-2007, 19:55
equinox was just bought by liberty mountain in the last few months.

how about comparing REI, with a mom and pop type store in the same area. i live in the SE and REI's are popping up everywhere.

LIhikers
11-13-2007, 08:04
Tarptent versus Campmor
ULA versus REI
Westernmountaineering versus Slumberjack
the choices are vertually endless. Good luck with your prject.

Moon Monster
11-14-2007, 17:43
Remember REI is a co-op, and though big, does not follow traditional for-profit models.

ULA is a very small company with a nice history of maintaining its identity. For background, listen to these Podcasts:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/philosophy.htm

Those Podcasters also have other interviews with other businesses that go into many aspects of their operations (i.e., easy research!).