PDA

View Full Version : Msr Defies Simmering?

turtle fast
11-10-2007, 12:32
I have been told that MSR stoves defy simmering. I have an older Peak Feather 442 that I love but weighs a ton! It has never given me any problems, simmers well, and can use auto fuel. However the weight I think is too much for my 2008 thru hike. I need something that can use auto fuel as we will be using it in South America was well. Any help would be appreciated!

Tipi Walter
11-10-2007, 12:34
I have been told that MSR stoves defy simmering. I have an older Peak Feather 442 that I love but weighs a ton! It has never given me any problems, simmers well, and can use auto fuel. However the weight I think is too much for my 2008 thru hike. I need something that can use auto fuel as we will be using it in South America was well. Any help would be appreciated!

Can someone please email or get someone from MSR here and ask them why the Simmerlite stove DOES NOT SIMMER!!??:mad:

doggiebag
11-10-2007, 12:34
You can simmer with MSR's ... Just dont pump the fuel tank as much. Instead of pumping the tank 20 to 30 times ... just pump it 10 to 15. While simmering ... pump the tank as needed. This works well with my Whisperlite International.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 12:35

i did 5 thru-hikes with a Peak1. get a canister stove if you don't want to carry the Peak

ed bell
11-10-2007, 12:36
Though fellow hikers tend to cringe when they hear it fired up, the MSR Dragonfly is the king of simmering in my book.:sun

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 12:40
Get a pot cozy and don't try to simmer.

LIhikers
11-10-2007, 13:01
Can someone please email or get someone from MSR here and ask them why the Simmerlite stove DOES NOT SIMMER!!??:mad:

Gee, my wife and I have been using a Simmerlite for years and haven't had any problems simmering. Like someone else said just don't pump it up as much and be patient with adjusting the valve.

Another thing, maybe your stove needs a cleaning. Once or twice a year I completely disassemble ours, clean it (including the shaker jet), and reassemble it. The whole job takes less than an hour and then I know the stove is in good shape and ready to go.

FatMan
11-10-2007, 13:31
I have used the MSR Simmerlite for years and have never had a problem simmering. Just takes some practice regarding pump pressure and valve adjusting.

Uncle Silly
11-10-2007, 15:17
Agree -- the inability to simmer with a Whisperlite is operator error. I've had one for 10+ years now, and once in a while I haven't used it in long enough that I have to relearn the simmering tricks. Once I've got it down, tho, I can use it to cook anything I need to.

Uncle Silly
11-10-2007, 15:22
I need something that can use auto fuel as we will be using it in South America was well. Any help would be appreciated!

Dunno about that portion of your trip; if you need it for that, get one of the MSR multi-fuel stoves and mail it to yourself. Give some serious consideration to a lightweight alcohol stove, or a canister stove, for the AT -- you won't need to depend on auto fuel in the States for your stove. There's nothing wrong with using different gear for different situations.

EWS
11-11-2007, 00:48
The Optimus Nova simmers just fine.

oops56
11-11-2007, 01:01
Just use a diffuser plate for simmering

Tipi Walter
11-11-2007, 10:27
Gee, my wife and I have been using a Simmerlite for years and haven't had any problems simmering. Like someone else said just don't pump it up as much and be patient with adjusting the valve.

Another thing, maybe your stove needs a cleaning. Once or twice a year I completely disassemble ours, clean it (including the shaker jet), and reassemble it. The whole job takes less than an hour and then I know the stove is in good shape and ready to go.

Okay, dangit, let me try it with just a pump or two. I clean the thing about every 3 months, just yesterday I cleaned it, but I just never tried to pump it less than the "recommended" pumps. Stupid me.

SGT Rock
11-11-2007, 10:29
I haven't used my Simmerlite that much, but I don't recall it having trouble simmering. The Whisperlight on the other hand...

maxNcathy
11-11-2007, 12:28
The MSR Pocket Rocket simmers so low you could use it to dry the morning dew from a butterfly's wings.

Sandalwood

slowandlow
11-13-2007, 11:39
The Optimus Nova simmers just fine.

And burns auto fuel, diesel, kerosene, rapeseed oil, ronsonol lighter fluid without having to change jets.

jasonklass
11-14-2007, 20:17
It depends on which MSR stove you're talking about. It sounds like you need a stove that can use a variety of fuels though. What about the MSR Dragonfly? That definitely simmers (I used to have one) and I think it will use auto fuel, right?