PDA

View Full Version : Coping with the drought in GSMNP

Egads
11-10-2007, 13:42
I have been waiting on cooler weather and the leaves to fall before section hiking the AT thru GSMNP. The cool weather is here and the leaves are falling, but the rangers say there is NO WATER between Newfound Gap & Fontana.

I've studied the map and believe I can resupply water at both Clingmans Dome and at Eagle Creek near Spence Field.

Can anyone confirm how close the water in Eagle Creek is to the AT?

Anyone want to join in the weekend after Thanksgiving? PM me if interested.

Egads

SGT Rock
11-10-2007, 13:55
About 1.5 to 2 miles down the trail I belive to Eagle Creek. Last I heard water was running at Derrick Knob.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

generoll
11-10-2007, 17:12
take the BMT instead. water was reported all the way to Smokemont on last months hike.

Krewzer
11-10-2007, 17:54
I'm working at a tackle shop here on the coast, but I see and talk to a lot of fisherman from western NC. (Fisherman are almost as bad as hikers about traveling all over for a special place.)

A gentleman from Maggie Valley came in the other day who said there are trout streams in the Smokies that are completely dry and have been just rock beds for weeks at a time. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and I was more than a little shocked when he said it will be many many years before those streams return to having fish and other aquatic life in them.

Whew! That's pretty heavy stuff.

MOWGLI
11-10-2007, 18:16
I'm working at a tackle shop here on the coast, but I see and talk to a lot of fisherman from western NC. (Fisherman are almost as bad as hikers about traveling all over for a special place.)

How's the Striper bite Krewzer? (sorry to go off topic)

Krewzer
11-10-2007, 21:12
How's the Striper bite Krewzer? (sorry to go off topic)

Not here yet...too warm. All blues and puppy drum. No swans either. See you at SORUCK. (Off topic also.... Sorry Egads, Dixie, Y'all)

Sly
11-10-2008, 13:40
Old thread, dated material, bumped by spammer. Closed.