PDA

View Full Version : Coyote or Wolf?

wrightsphoto
11-10-2007, 20:54
I was driving down the road from Clingman's Dome and a Coyote or something bigger than a dog started to run out in front of the car.
I put on brakes and grabbed my camera. By the time I got the camera turned on and snapped a photo he had crossed the road and up the hill into the woods...
He was sorta brownish gray...
I figured it was a Coyote, not sure if there is any wolf's in NC??

What do you think it was?

taildragger
11-10-2007, 20:55
Most likely a coyote, maybe a ferrel dog. Coyotes can be large, and with a winter coat on they are deceptively large.

RiverWarriorPJ
11-10-2007, 21:11
Most likely a coyote, maybe a ferrel dog. Coyotes can be large, and with a winter coat on they are deceptively large.

.."ConCur"..

Lone Wolf
11-10-2007, 22:36
probably one of the stray red wolves that the learned geniuses reintroduced years back. that program totally failed. ya think? :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-10-2007, 23:32
Sounds like a coyote. I was around when the wolves LW mentions were still in the GSMNP - I saw one in Cades Cove during a night road walk. A wolf with its summer coat is much, much larger than the largest coyote with its winter coat I've seen (and I've seen plenty). I would image an adult wolf with a winter coat would be more easily mistaken for a young bear than a dog or coyote based on its size.

Jim Adams
11-11-2007, 23:11
probably a coyote but no guarantee.

geek