PDA

View Full Version : Geting Dress in Shelter

partinj
11-10-2007, 22:54
Here one for everone if their are womans in the shelter with you how do you get undress at night and dress do you do it in the sleeping bag or go off away from the shelter. :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-10-2007, 23:11
Well, I am a woman so I'm more concerned with the non-females if I have to stay in a mouse-trap... er... I mean shelter :D. Seriously, I use a poncho as rain gear and I dress inside my poncho when this situation occurs so the sight of dino hide doesn't traumatize you youngsters for life.

Javasanctum
11-10-2007, 23:22
Post a gaurd or two... That you can TRUST

Uncle Silly
11-10-2007, 23:27
I strip down to boxers but rarely further. Guess I'd remove them under the covers if I had a need.

I don't worry too much about getting out of others' sights, but then I'm usually one of the last to bed anyway, so not many are up to watch.

Lose the modesty and just strip down -- if you're too conscious about it, just make it fast. :D

Lilred
11-11-2007, 00:14
Most guys I've stayed in shelters with just start undressing, I turn to the wall till they're finished. Some will give prior warning. Still others will walk behind the shelter. I give prior warning and the guys are considerate to turn their backs till I'm finished. I'm sure they're just protecting themselves from unnecessary trauma. If the shelter is real crowded, I'll announce that I'm going behind the shelter to change. Don't like doing that too much cause I know guys go back there to pee. That's when I stay in a shelter. I set up my tent whenever I can.

The General
11-11-2007, 01:43
During my last Thru in 2004 I never saw this as an issue. I would hope that even in this modern era that most males would have the common decency and manners to be considerate to the fairer sex should they need to change in a shelter or even out side for that matter. I generaly sleep naked in my bag but would always put on my shorts and even a shirt before getting out. Brief nakedness is no big deal and just a fact of life for a hiker on the trail though if someone was walking around buck naked all the time then it may cause me to spill my Ramen for one reason or another. A little consideration for others who may not be so liberal is all that is required here.

Smile
11-11-2007, 03:40
Never an issue. Everybody has to change sometime :)

Tipi Walter
11-11-2007, 10:10
It's a backpacking trip so carry a tent.

SGT Rock
11-11-2007, 10:13
I guess if you really want me to, I can go to shelters to change. Up till now I just did it outside.

gypsy97
11-11-2007, 11:22
It's ok, we won't look (wink, wink).

pitdog
11-11-2007, 11:27
HEY,Gypsy did you thru hike in 97.

WalkingStick75
11-11-2007, 11:31
I have never seen this as an issue, but I know others that have had issues. Generally if a female comes into camp I will find something else to do and give her some privacy. On rain days I will put up my tarp for her or just turn my back to give them (and me) some privacy to put our camp stuff on.

Lyle
11-11-2007, 11:31
Many folks just make an announcement, something like: "I'm changing now, if you don't wanna see don't look." Of course, you move to the back of the shelter, or somewhere where it's easy for the others to look away. On the other side, it's expected that you will look away when others either anounce or start to change - common courtesy goes a very long way. Normal privacy standards do adjust out of necessity while on a hike, thru or otherwise.

SGT Rock
11-11-2007, 11:35
Many folks just make an announcement, something like: "I'm changing now, if you don't wanna see don't look." Of course, you move to the back of the shelter, or somewhere where it's easy for the others to look away. On the other side, it's expected that you will look away when others either anounce or start to change - common courtesy goes a very long way. Normal privacy standards do adjust out of necessity while on a hike, thru or otherwise.
Yes, but that does open you to those that do want to look. Some women may say something like this as a polite way to announce a clothing change - just to find that there is some jerk leering at her and say "But I wanna see ;)"

Lyle
11-11-2007, 12:42
Yeah, guess that's a chance a woman would take, the guys usually didn't have this problem, and probably wouldn't care if they did :-)

splatman
11-20-2007, 11:15
I spent a night in a shelter with two moms(my age), and their daughters. That was the only time I was concerned about privacy. You can usually find somewhere to change without being seen - even if it's standing behind a tree. No worries - no one's watching anyway.

Sly
11-20-2007, 11:32
HEY,Gypsy did you thru hike in 97.

Different Gypsy. You're thinking of Martha/Marty the one with the black lab. Did you ever read the Tale of Friar Tuck?

http://members.aol.com/pog2004/tuck.html

Gaiter
11-20-2007, 12:32
another advantage of hiking in a skirt, i can and do completely change and never have to worry about anything i don't want seen, being seen. for us ladies there is the trick for changing tops: put on one shirt and taking off the first one underneath the second, pulling it off through the neck.

Earl Grey
11-26-2007, 20:48
I always just went behing the shelter. If it was raining I did it in my sleeping bag. There were many people(males and females) that would just take off all their clothes without announcing and I was like *** are you doing?

saimyoji
11-26-2007, 21:50
If you have trouble wiggling around in your bag to get clothes on....unzip, pull the bag over you as a quilt...then change under that.

Cosmo Rules
11-27-2007, 00:24
Hike naked

MtnBikerGuy
11-29-2007, 13:31
I have also seen both women and men change right in front of everyone without saying a word of warning. I would turn around or look up and <SURPRISE>. I normally go outside the shelters if there are ladies and just let everyone know I am out there. I could care less if anyone see's me, but I don't want to embarass anyone.

I also think there is a different culture and mental approach on the trail than in the city. People respect others MOST of the time. Seeing someone naked while they are changing isn't viewed as sexual to most. Its just something we all do.

With that being said, I understand some people wanting at least a minimum level of privacy.

Blissful
11-29-2007, 14:52
On a particularly rainy day, hikers just warned everyone to turn around in the shelter. I did it to avoid hypothermia. Even took time to dry off.

Now I am part of a Christmas play and have to change clothes real quick between two scenes. I stood outside the wings and pulled off my skirt to put on pants without even thinking. Yikes. The ATmindset is still there...

Thoughtful Owl
11-29-2007, 15:03
Now I am part of a Christmas play and have to change clothes real quick between two scenes. I stood outside the wings and pulled off my skirt to put on pants without even thinking. Yikes. The ATmindset is still there...

The folks at chuch might not apprecaite it, Blissful :eek:

Christopher Robin
11-29-2007, 15:34
I'm both Christan @ a femal @ think like MtnBikerguy @ just do'nt stay most of us can do fine, just men think of hows in the shealter before you drop uor pants, kids middle ages. OK.

Sly
11-29-2007, 17:06
Do Christians have something against nudity? I don't believe it's in the Bible, but if it is it's open to interpretation.

Blissful
11-29-2007, 17:15
My hubby likes to skinny dip. :)

Anyway
I do think you should warn people what you are doing and tell them to turn their heads. When it's nasty out, everyone needs to change. I wasn't the only Christian changing in the shelter either that day. :)

And the day of the play - I was sick... and Paul Bunyan stood behind me with his back to me - I didn't even know he had done that until later. Glad he was there.
I did better yesterday.