PDA

View Full Version : Maz N Cheese

LastHonestFool
11-10-2007, 23:28
Okay, so I recently purchased a Jetboil PCS.

I love it, boils/simmers great, lightweight, and all in a convenient package.

One problem though...I went to cook some mac and cheese in it tonight before I go on-trail and try to cook mac n cheese (good thing I did too! read on) and something I didn't think of kind of spoiled that (Iended up cooking it on the stove)...it calls for six cups water to boil....and quite simply there's no way it's going to fit in my jetboil....and I eat the whole pack at a time

anyone other Jetboil users figure out a remedy other than cooking half, eating, and then cooking the other half?

sarbar
11-11-2007, 00:02
Well.....I like mac and cheese sometimes, so what do I do? I precook my pasta at home (I buy organic mac boxes), cut it short by a minute, drain and dehydrate. Then I take the pasta, along with the cheese packet and 2 Tbsp dry milk. When I want said pasta, I bring my water to a boil and cover my pasta. In a JetBoil just dump your pasta in, turn off the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Drain off most of the water, add in the dry items and a drizzle of oil. Stir and eat!

mkmangold
11-11-2007, 00:03
I haven't tried this but it could work. I have about 7 or 8 kids and am constantly making macaroni and cheese. To speed things up, I only use 4 cups of water per package of noodles. That's less than 1000ml of water (1 cup = 240ml). I carry 2, 500ml containers when I hike: one is made of Lexan and the other an "Energy" drink bottle. I boil water in the Energy bottle. So...
Boil 500ml, put half of the noodles in the Lexan bottle and add the boiling water. Let sit at least 20 minutes. Boil another 500ml of water in the Energy bottle and add the noodles to it and let sit at least 20 minutes. When done, drain excess water but collect it and add enough powdered milk to make your required "1/4 cup." Mix in the cheese powder over a flame and add whatever you use for butter. On the trail, I use vegetable mixed with Butter Buds. Woila! Let me know if it works for you. I'll try it at home sometime this week when the brats get hungry.

Uncle Silly
11-11-2007, 00:07
I cook entire packages of mac'n'cheese all the time in my 1-qt Snow Peak pot. There's plenty of room for the whole package.

Think about it: when you make it at home, the pasta doesn't soak up all 6 cups of water; you end up draining it after the pasta's cooked! Obviously, you don't really need all 6 cups.

How much water do you need? I'm not really sure. I fill my pot (leaving a little room, so it doesn't overflow when I add the pasta) and that works for me. Try it out and see.

Cooking is all about experimentation. A lot of times the instructions on the package are more like helpful suggestions than rigid must-do's. If you're going to experiment with your Jetboil, do it! Don't wimp out and cook on the stove; you won't have that option out on the trail.

LastHonestFool
11-11-2007, 00:16
Don't wimp out and cook on the stove; you won't have that option out on the trail.

I just came off a long shift at work where I ate nothing, being a 20 year old guy....after 10 hours of no food, ITS TIME TO EAT, so I threw it over the stove :)

that being said...i didnt even think that it doesnt soak up all 6 cups, it should do fine with 4.5 I would imagine...I plan to play with the Jetboil tommorow, and see how much water I can safely boil with the mac n cheese, but if it can do 4.5 cups, that should be more than enough..

@Sarbar: I don't like dehydrating foods...I know it saves time, etc....but I dunno, just one of my qwirks i suppose....it certaintly would solve this problem though! thank you for your advice :)

Uncle Silly
11-11-2007, 00:39
Well.....I like mac and cheese sometimes, so what do I do? I precook my pasta at home (I buy organic mac boxes), cut it short by a minute, drain and dehydrate. Then I take the pasta, along with the cheese packet and 2 Tbsp dry milk. When I want said pasta, I bring my water to a boil and cover my pasta. In a JetBoil just dump your pasta in, turn off the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Drain off most of the water, add in the dry items and a drizzle of oil.

I'm not sure this saves any time, at least in the mac'n'cheese case. Pasta's already dehydrated, basically. The pasta needs to sit 15-25 minutes or so (I never time it) to cook to the right tenderness. I guess you might shave 10 minutes off your cook time with this trick, but how much prep time are you using to save that? Not enough to make it worthwhile.

@Sarbar: I don't like dehydrating foods...I know it saves time, etc....but I dunno, just one of my qwirks i suppose....it certaintly would solve this problem though! thank you for your advice :)

LHF, if you're going to dehydrate your own meals, make sure it makes sense to do so. Beef jerky? Good candidate. Meat sauce for spaghetti? Good candidate. Pasta for mac'n'cheese? Notsomuch.

LastHonestFool
11-11-2007, 00:41
@uncle silly:

I wast implying I would start dehydrating my stuff, merely thanking her for the reply

I dont plan to start dehydrating anytime soon, not my cup of tea

Nest
11-11-2007, 00:46
Just a thought. It is heavier, but the mac and cheese with the premixed cheese required 4 cups. The cheese is already a sauce, so it is pretty heavy though. Even then I just use about 2 cups of water to cook it. So you could sacrifice the weight and carry the pre-liquidy ceese. Or just pour the unmixed type into the jetboil, then add as much water as you are comfortable with. Then cook it and see what happens. It cooks fast enough that you could always add more water as it cooks if you need to.

Uncle Silly
11-11-2007, 00:49
I wast implying I would start dehydrating my stuff, merely thanking her for the reply

Clearly. I was just adding my own 2 cents to the dehydration advice. Someone might read this thread later and be more of a mind to try dehydration, or you might change your mind later. It's free advice; take it or leave it. You won't hurt my feelings.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
11-11-2007, 01:16
In preparation for any backpacking, hiking or camping trips, I always repackage any "boxed meals" into resealable kitchen bags. This lightens the carried weight and reduces the amount of trash I'll have to deal with on the trail. Size of the plastic baggie will depend on the particular meal. For Mac & Cheese, for example, I pour the macaroni into the bag and add powdered milk and Butter Buds into the same bag, then put the unopened package of "cheese" into the bag.
I've tried cooking all the trail meals on my menu before hitting any trails, just to see if there might be any problams. For Mac & Cheese, I usually add the pasta and milk powder into my pot and just cover it with water plus another 1/4 inch. More water can be added as the pasta begins to rehydrate if necessary. Once the pasta is soft enough, just add the "cheese" and stir it up.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-11-2007, 10:54
i used the titan kettle and it holds 28 Fl oz. according to the REI website. that was plenty for a box of mac and cheese with water. not sure how that translates to the size of your pot though. but yea the mac never soaks up 6 cups of water, i know i wouldn't want to have to get that much at night for cooking every night.

Blue Wolf
11-11-2007, 11:24
When I a make Mac & cheese I take it from the box add it to a 1 quart ziplock freezer bag pour in about 16 or so ounces of water, I use no milk or butter it's not needed really, then I have an outdoor research water bottle cozy I put the bag inside, and in about 8 to 10 mins cooked noodles.

Then I drain off a portion of what water is left add my cheese pack & stir well adding a foil pack of tuna if you like makes it a meal! you can also use a wool sock to put the bag in but the cozy works great and it holds my pot,lid,stove,spork,matches, and a lighter but I use a sno=peak mini solo pot.

But I only heat water in my pot I never cook in it I leave that to the freezer bag it works very well for me especially with lipton Knorrs noodles and a foil bag of that bar-b-q chikin YUM YUM my favorite!

mudhead
11-11-2007, 12:45
Freezer bag it.

If you can cook noodles in a Jetboil without sticking let me know. No fair stirring continuosly, no fair draining.

Drained water coffee or cocoa is not very tasty.

Graze that sludge!

LastHonestFool
11-11-2007, 14:48
I can cook noodles or rice or w/e in......just simmer it....stir with a long spoon every minute or so...

mudhead
11-11-2007, 19:46
I have had poor luck doing this. FBC is the way to go. For me.

Froggy
11-11-2007, 19:46
Hadn't thought of using a sock for a cozy. Good idea.

Note to myself, must remember to remove foot first, though.

sarbar
11-11-2007, 20:07
Hadn't thought of using a sock for a cozy. Good idea.

Note to myself, must remember to remove foot first, though.

Unless you are really hungry :eek::D

whitefoot_hp
11-21-2007, 15:00
i routinely cook 6 six cup dishes in two cups or less of water.