PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike Partners: Northern VA

teachergal
11-11-2007, 18:12
Anyone out there looking for day hike partners? I'm in Northern VA (Woodbridge - south of DC) and enjoy heading out to SNP, Prince William Forest Park, Sky Meadows, the AT, GWNF and other places for DAY hiking - note, I'm NOT into backpacking at this time so I'm really only looking for day hiking buddies.

I will add that I'm 32 SWF and more than a bit on the out of shape side - I tend to hike slowly - I enjoy mid range day hikes -5-9 miles but have done as many as 13 in one day.

Cookerhiker
11-11-2007, 18:38
Are you a member of the PATC (http://www.potomacappalachian.org/)? They have organized hikes and it's a great way to meet people.

AT_Disciple
11-14-2007, 10:22
PATC is a good suggestion Cooker, I wil be at SNP all day Fri and Fri night. I'd be happy to d a short circuit with u - they [SNP] sells a book with maps and info for all the circuit hikes in the park. Also, just about any weekend you could connect with me for some AT hiking anywhere between Harpers Ferry to Front Royal. Cheers!

RiverWarriorPJ
11-14-2007, 10:30
<~~going out 4 a few days of day hikes .. 18-20 Nov..CrabTree FaLLs / the Priest area....Gonna set up camp around 37 49 30n - 79 04 57w......
contact me 4 more info..

Cookerhiker
11-14-2007, 21:44
PATC is a good suggestion Cooker, I wil be at SNP all day Fri and Fri night. I'd be happy to d a short circuit with u - they [SNP] sells a book with maps and info for all the circuit hikes in the park. Also, just about any weekend you could connect with me for some AT hiking anywhere between Harpers Ferry to Front Royal. Cheers!

Sounds good. This weekend if I get out at all, I'm joining a PATC trail crew in PA. I'm trying to get a lot of stuff done before Monday when I fly to Australia for 4 weeks.

pythonathiker
11-24-2007, 21:30
Raftingirl, Zero, & I will be hiking the AT north of Caledonia State Park (PA) and south of Waynesboro (VA) via day hikes. We hike approximately 6-8 miles per day depending on terrain, heat, & available road crossings. Our average hiking speed is 2 mph - Raftingirl & I are both short and Zero is an 11-year old German Shepherd.

Interested in joining us sometime?

Note, we too have not had any luck finding PATC hikes (either too short or way too long).

tomtom
01-05-2008, 22:54
I joined a few years ago...
great trips, people and hikes...

I go on hikes in SNP & GWF (and backpack) all around here with them.

enjoy!

Jaybird62
01-05-2008, 23:39
I would be interested in some day hikes. It would be cool to shuttle with a couple of cars- everything I have done lately has been out and back, which is cool, but it will take a long time to finish all of the A.T. that way!:p

Imager
01-06-2008, 08:25
I'd be interested too.

kizzybean
01-24-2008, 23:05
I too am interested in finding someone to day hike sections of the AT, share car shuttling. Park one car at end of section, drive other around and hike to first car parked. When finished for the day go back and pick up other car. I have done up to 5 day backpacking treks but prefer the day hikes, slack packing. As I live in Maine I really need to hook up with someone that can do multiple days in a row. I'm up to driving as far south as VA but when doing so need to spend at least 5 - 6 days hiking in a row. If someone could only do 2 -3 days I would still be interested as I'd combine a 3 day overnite backpack to reach my "wishlist" miles. Even slack packing part of a section would help me out.

I've hiked Harpers ferry nobo to PA 850 outside of Duncannon and 2/3's of Maine. I'm looking to do parts of VA and PA this spring, any parts north of that I haven't done. I have flexible time but generally like to go midweek to midweek so I get a few days in the office. I also hike with my yellow lab. Hike 8 - 14 miles per day depending on terrain & weather, average 1 1/2 - 2 mph. Slow but steady.

Pokey

naturewanderer
01-28-2008, 08:27
I would be interested in a day hike in VA sometime. I get down to Woodbridge on occassion to visit family and I have wanted to check out the AT in VA. Let me know.